Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 TRelated Topics
 Actual Tim subject matter>>>

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Silky The Pimp Posted - 01/25/2002 : 01:02:55 AM
Hey Fluffy, I don't know if you happen to know any of this stuff, but I figure it can't hurt to ask!

I know everyone has always asked what Tim recommends doing in order to progress in their guitar playing, and his answer of "practice, finger excercises, and experimentation" has been noted as his answer to that line of questioning. I have some more questions involving this topic though, so here they are... How long did it take Tim to progress to the point where he is now? Was he able to play these kinds of things after 5 years, 10 years, 20 years etc.? What kind of timeframe are we looking at? Did he ever have any times where he fealt he had plateaud in his playing, only to progress farther? Were there any kind of "breakthroughs" in his playing or was it all a very gradual improvement all the way up until the point of mastery? Also, just how long HAS he been playing? I'm just curious because we all know his playing now... but everyone has to start somewhere, so it seems like this would be some interesting stuff to know about him, especially since many of us are guitar players ourselves with the ultimate goal being mastery.

Unrelated to Tim's progress as a guitar player... I'm also curious, as a HUGE blues fan, has Tim ever been into the blues? Has he ever played in a blues band? For me, I think it would be an auditory orgasm to hear him tear into something like Texas Flood or The Sky Is Crying.

Anyway, I just thought those might be some interesting things to know about him that don't seem to have been addressed before.
-J

48   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
rdj218 Posted - 10/05/2006 : 7:12:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Fluffy

Yep, Kevin, from Marcus' camp and John Semon II have all the audio and video.

...WOWwwww!!! ...umm, if anyone can share these audio goodies i would be soooooo greatfulll:)
...That's delightful news Mr. Fluffy!! I'm a big Muddy fan and have a geekness-type-weakness for the old-school blues. I just got all giddy, like going to Ben and Jerries(sp) for a new flavor kind of giddy! I'm reallly hoping you guys can swing by the bay area to share...oh please, oh please:)
I also enjoyed reading your posts about Tim and his approach to art...quite insightful:) Thank you.
-Cheers
Fluffy Posted - 10/04/2006 : 4:12:14 PM
Yep, Kevin, from Marcus' camp and John Semon II have all the audio and video.
Silky The Pimp Posted - 10/02/2006 : 08:37:59 AM
Thanks Fluff! That is truly music to my ears! Do you know if the medley you mentioned was recorded?

Fluffy Posted - 10/01/2006 : 9:17:35 PM
Had to bring this back to the top for Silky the Pimp. So remember a long, long, TIMe ago, in a galaxy far, far away, you asked about TR and the Blue. Well I am happy to inform you that TR is really rediscovering the blues and it is definitely affecting him and his performances. They have been becoming more and more blues tinged of late. Don't know this part for sure, but I would guess that all TR's interest in Led Zep and some of the other 70's bands he loves have led him back to the blues roots of so many of these artists. Recently he has been bring traditional blues CD's on the road and at the last few CD store stops has only bought blues CD's. At soundcheck a few nites ago he improvised an amazing blues version of "Hold On, I'm Comin'", quite different from the version he has been performing live. I think it was the show in Denver at the Soiled Dove where he surprised me with a song that was not a on the setlist, it was a cover medly of songs that he has really fallen in love with recently. I will have to ask TR again what they are, but I think one is Muddy Waters In The Mood and I am not sure of the other one. We have listened to quite a bit of blues on this run of dates in the van including Sonny Boy Williamson, Howlin Wolf, Albert King etc etc etc. I will try to get more details but I thought you would like to hear that TR is finding what seems to be a blues phase or at least a phase that will include a heavy blues influence. He has been quite taken with the honesty and delivery of these classic blues artists. I have noticed that it has definitely influenced his singing style which given his only-one-vocal-chord voice I have always thought would be very well suited to the blues. As I thought about TR and the blues the other day this thread and your question came rushing back to my mind so I thought I would let you know the good news. Well see what come from it.
Fluffy Posted - 08/27/2002 : 05:58:49 AM
I hate being put on the spot, I do, but I can't think of them right now. I will get back to you on that request. Actually here is one I heard recently:

Subject: How to tell the sex of a fly...

A woman walked into the kitchen to find her husband stalking around
with a fly swatter.

"What are you doing?" She asked. "Hunting Flies" He responded.

"Oh. Killing any?" She asked.

"Yep, 3 males, 2 Females," he replied.

Intrigued, she asked. "How can you tell?"

He responded, "3 were on a beer can, 2 were on the phone."

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
NeverKillADream Posted - 08/26/2002 : 10:40:51 PM
Lmao

Using The Force Daily...
NeverKillADream@aol.com
pcbTIM Posted - 08/26/2002 : 9:04:56 PM
Hehe.......I really like that joke! Got any more?

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."
Fluffy Posted - 08/26/2002 : 05:07:58 AM
Not possible by the definition given above. You might have 2 goofy feet but you can't be a goofy foot with your left foot forward. You can be a goofy foot with 2 goofy feet as long as your RIGHT goofy foot is forward. Reminds me of a joke:

Judge:So Mickey, I hear you want to divorce Minnie Mouse because she is crazy.
Mickey Mouse:I didn't say she was crazy, I said she was FUCKING GOOFY!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Arthen Posted - 08/26/2002 : 02:24:17 AM
What if you have two Goofy feet?

"Don't drink the pickle juice from the pickle jar, until all the pickles are gone."
-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
Fluffy Posted - 08/26/2002 : 02:22:21 AM
And your point is? I heard it growing up all the time. Every time someone would watch me skateboard they would comment on it. Then I saw a show on surfing and they were saying how the goofy footers had a certain advantage on these particular waves because they were facing the curl because they were goofy footers. It is a real expression, I assure you.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
tericee Posted - 08/25/2002 : 11:18:18 PM
They never said it once in "Blue Crush." At least not that I remember. Oh well.

teri

Did I mention that I finished a marathon?
Fluffy Posted - 08/25/2002 : 9:51:33 PM
Goofy Foot:Definition,n. "Goofy Foot" is one of the oldest terms still current in surfing jargon. It describes a right foot forward surfing stance and was coined from a Walt Disney film in the 1950's in which Goofy surfed with his right foot forward. The phrase has made its way into use in all boarding sports distinguishing the stance from a regular or natural foot which has the left foot towards the front of the board. At Goofy Foot Surf School, both styles are taught, and we like to say that our instruction is given with the best foot forward.

From the website:

http://www.goofyfootsurfschool.com/goofyframeset.html

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Fluffy Posted - 08/25/2002 : 9:40:04 PM
Yea, my explanation is from way back in the 70's at the beginning of "goofy footin'" HEHE

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
tericee Posted - 08/25/2002 : 3:51:19 PM
quote:
Fluffy said:
On a similar note, surfers and skateboarders who stand on their boards with their right foot in front are called goofy-footers, of which I am one. I think this is more common now, but I don't know for sure.

That's true in snowboarding too. After this last Winter Olympics, even Katy Couric and Matt Lauer knew what goofy foot was. But everyone remember, you heard it here first!!

teri

Did I mention that I finished a marathon?
pcbTIM Posted - 08/14/2002 : 03:32:54 AM
Miss Hoover? My worm jumped in my mouth and I ate it.......can I have another one?

Jay Posted - 08/10/2002 : 01:40:46 AM
quote:
burning...

pot?

Jay
" It's a scavenger hunt in the best of times, a one armed man with a box of dimes. Throw the stick and let the bulldog roll." KJP
My_Bad_Side Posted - 08/10/2002 : 01:21:07 AM
It tastes like .... burning.

I'm schizophrenic. And so am I. am I. am I. am I.
pcbTIM Posted - 08/06/2002 : 03:45:22 AM
Nothing like a good strong laxative to help friends bond.

Fluffy Posted - 08/06/2002 : 02:35:59 AM
It brings a tear to your eye and gets you running for the toilet, all at the same TIMe.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Silky The Pimp Posted - 08/05/2002 : 1:18:16 PM
quote:

Chicken McNuggets(Silky) are nothing without the Hot Mustard Sauce(me).

*tear* That was beautiful man...

Fluffy Posted - 08/05/2002 : 06:40:00 AM
Chicken McNuggets(Silky) are nothing without the Hot Mustard Sauce(me).

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
pcbTIM Posted - 08/03/2002 : 03:39:39 AM
......or the thought of a Chicken McNugget.

NeverKillADream Posted - 08/02/2002 : 10:10:47 AM
either that, or the illusion of a nugget.

Using the Force Daily
NeverKillADream@aol.com
Silky The Pimp Posted - 08/02/2002 : 09:24:29 AM
quote:
Still one of my proudest posts. I thought the new folk might want to give it a read. Thanx for the great questions Silky, I couldn't have done it without you.

Hehe I guess there must still be some kind of nugget of good sense somewhere in my head.

NeverKillADream Posted - 08/02/2002 : 03:18:18 AM
Damn Man, now that is a F***ing reply if i ever saw one, Thats inspiring somehow. and all very true.

Using the Force Daily
NeverKillADream@aol.com
Fluffy Posted - 06/26/2002 : 04:31:07 AM
Still one of my proudest posts. I thought the new folk might want to give it a read. Thanx for the great questions Silky, I couldn't have done it without you.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 01/31/2002 : 1:12:47 PM
I come from way down south.

-Jason-

I am a servant of the power behind the nothing.
Fluffy Posted - 01/31/2002 : 05:58:19 AM
It is a boxing expression having to do with the direction of the punch. I think because they were so uncommon that it was hard for other boxers to protect themselves from these punches, and probably had something to do with the expression "Way down south" as in that punch came from way down south(outta nowhere)hence, southpaws!!

On a similar note, surfers and skateboarders who stand on their boards with their right foot in front are called goofy-footers, of which I am one. I think this is more common now, but I don't know for sure. There were certain places in the world where goofy-footers had a distinct advantage in surfing competitions because of the direction the waves broke, allowing them to face the wave while other surfers had to wonder what was coming over their head. FYI

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
pcbTIM Posted - 01/31/2002 : 12:12:53 AM
No but I think that it's funny that sinister meant "left" or "left-handed" in Latin and over the ages it became known as evil.

"I do what I can with what I've got."
Silky The Pimp Posted - 01/30/2002 : 11:15:57 PM
Anyone know why lefties are called "southpaws?"
-J

enthuTIMsiast Posted - 01/30/2002 : 9:28:20 PM
My plan is coming to fruition....

-Jason-

pcbTIM Posted - 01/30/2002 : 9:12:27 PM
Good thing for you tomorrow never comes!

enthuTIMsiast Posted - 01/30/2002 : 8:05:59 PM
Tomorrow.

-Jason-

pcbTIM Posted - 01/30/2002 : 7:36:10 PM
quote:

I can stop whenever I want to....hehe

Just not right now, right?

enthuTIMsiast Posted - 01/30/2002 : 10:19:27 AM
All this laying, and where's my action? Ha, I guess I did get layed (off the SoCo). And hey, how did you know anyway. It's not like I do it all the time...I can stop whenever I want to....hehe

-Jason-

Black Lotus Posted - 01/30/2002 : 09:47:41 AM
Quit it!

-
500 Club
Silky The Pimp Posted - 01/30/2002 : 09:26:05 AM
Everybody lay off the "lay off."
-J

pcbTIM Posted - 01/30/2002 : 04:47:37 AM
FLUFFY, LAY OFF THE POSTING!!!

Fluffy Posted - 01/30/2002 : 03:36:14 AM
JASON, LAY OFF THE SoCo!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 01/30/2002 : 03:07:15 AM
More the merrier....ha....I have enough trouble keeping up as it is. I'm getting old, remember. Birthday in about 7 days....getting old and sleepy......

-Jason-

Fluffy Posted - 01/30/2002 : 12:29:02 AM
Thanx XAR, spreading the good word is what we are all about. Thanx for keeping the faith. Maybe it will lure in some unsuspecting victims. The more the merrier!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Xar666 Posted - 01/29/2002 : 5:34:53 PM
Fluffy, I hope you don't mind, but I posted this on nancies.org. There are a lot of dipshits there but some of the people are cool. I thought they might like this.

http://www.nancies.org/boards/showthread.php?s=81be00cd0f8d2d7e419622b964c1bc2e&postid=264012&t=1063#post264012

-Xar666

I never really hated a one true god, but the god of the people I hated.
Fluffy Posted - 01/28/2002 : 06:04:55 AM
My Pleasure, Always glad to HELP when I can!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
dirtysloth Posted - 01/25/2002 : 5:35:35 PM
That was really informative, not to mention... inspirational. Thanks Fluffy.

Peace,
Patrick

http://members.tripod.com/one4tim/index.htm
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 01/25/2002 : 2:47:51 PM
Yeah, thanks Fluffy. I really like to know stuff. Kinda allow myself not to feel as bad cause I suck on a guitar and whatnot. Not that I thought Tim just picked up his guitar and played Big Butt Pie right off or anything, but it's just good to know how he progressed.

-Jason-

Silky The Pimp Posted - 01/25/2002 : 1:37:51 PM
Thanks Fluffy... some good info! Maybe one of these days we can get TR to do a Q&A with us in the new chatroom.
-J

Fluffy Posted - 01/25/2002 : 03:21:41 AM
GREAT QUESTIONS!! but pcbdmb is right, they should be in the TR related section. Don't worry I will link it for ya.

Silky Asked:
quote:
How long did it take Tim to progress to the point where he is now? Was he able to play these kinds of things after 5 years, 10 years, 20 years etc.?
30 years. I would say even TR would tell you he is always learning something new. Thats what keeps it interesting for him. I don't think you can actually pin down a turning point for him. It has always been a constant progression forward. I don't think he could have played what he played now 10 years ago. And what he played 10 years ago I don't think he could have played 20 years ago. His craft, for him, is a constantly evolutionary process. With new influences everyday, He is constantly changing his approach to the guitar. He is "where" he is "at" on that day. I think that is why he recommends practice and experimentation so much. And also diversity in musical influences. These are the things that have influenced him most. He takes sounds totally unrelated to the guitar and trys to translate them into sounds on the guitar. A very UNIQUE approach, I think.

Silky Asked:
quote:
Did he ever have any times where he fealt he had plateaud in his playing, only to progress farther?
I think most artists feel this way to some degree, not necessarily in a negative way, like writers block, but in a way that they feel a need to challenge themselves to progress further. I don't think he ever stopped and said "I am as good as I am going to get." I don't think he looks at it like that. He just plays guitar. The influences of life on a daily basis help him to challenge himself(probably unconsciously) to try different things which leads to improvement. I don't think he is sitting around trying to "become a better guitar player". I think for him it is more a matter of finding new ways to express himself as an artist. Those things just lead to him getting better and better and more experimental. Stretching out and testing the bounds of the instrument, to which I believe TR feels there are really no limits but the ones you put on it. That is why he is so willing to take chances. He knows these things help him grow as an artist. For example, During the whole T+D time he pretty much only played acoustic guitar. That gave him the impetus to want to delve head first into the electric. Not out of boredom, but maybe a feeling of he had taken it as far as he could to that point. Enter ELECTRIC guitar. He starts messing around with that and discovers a whole new world of opportunity as the approach is so much different from acoustic to electric. Then when he comes back to acoustic he brings all the things he discovered in the electric phase to the acoustic and his acoustic ability increases. Because now his approach to it is totally different or at least has different influences than his acoustic playing had before. It is this constant growth that I think keeps TR so fresh and exciting. He takes all these influences and incorporates them. He doesn't leave his electric mindset behind when he picks up the acoustic, instead he translates some of those things into the acoustic instrument. Approaches he may not have thought of unless he had done the electric stuff. Another example, his fondness now for the drum machine. On this last tour on numerous occasions he said, "Drums are where its at!" He was having a great time experimenting with the drum machine. He has even talked about buying a real drum set. I wouldn't be surprise if we see his guitar playing in the future reflect this with a MORE percussive style of playing. Incorporating what he has discovered thru the use of the drum machine and possibly drums into his guitar playing. I can easily see him want to translate his love of the drums into his guitar playing. Thereby, again, stretching the boundries of guitar playing. Not limiting the guitar to a "guitar" approach.

Silky Asked:
quote:
Were there any kind of "breakthroughs" in his playing or was it all a very gradual improvement all the way up until the point of mastery?
I don't think there were any breakthroughs in the traditional sense of the word. Having said that, there are certainly influences that have changed his playing. One example, as stated above, the acoustic period with Dave to the electric. Another example, when he was in his jazz period, he says he pretty much only listened to jazz. Then he discovered metal, and that influence changed his approach. So I don't know if you could call it a breakthru, but again it is probably more of a evolutionary growth based on his approach of letting everything he likes influence him. Its kind of like getting fat, You look at yourself in the mirror every day, but you don't notice yourself getting fatter. Then someone sees you who hasn't in a year and they say "GEEZ, you are fat!" Except in TRs case, its, GEEZ, you are PHAT!" You don't notice the change on a daily basis, it is a gradual thing that happens over time. Rarely do you say, I am a better guitar player today than I was yesterday, but it is much easier to look at yourself a year ago and say I am much better now than I was then. As TR has stated on many occasions, his INDIAN period has affected his playing greatly and still does. You would not know it necessarily to listen to his playing now, but the affect that it had on him cannot be discounted. It is like he played guitar, then he discovered the sitar and the eastern approach to playing that and incorporated it into his guitar playing. Then he moved to jazz and brought his sitar playing experience to his jazz playing, and from jazz discovered metal and brought it all forward into this strange, beautiful amalgamation of sounds to create a sound that is totally UNIQUE to TR. His approach to the guitar is not that of your standard guitar player. He likes to take sounds from all areas of life and try to translate them into his guitar playing. I don't think he really thinks of himself as a "guitar player", I think he thinks of himself as an artist trying to create art with this instrument he has chosen. He does not limit himself on his approach to the guitar. He choosed to stretch out the boundaries of the instrument he has chosed. Kinda like saying, "Lets see what I can make this thing do." "Let me try to express myself thru this instrument." Again I think the advice he offers so freely about experimentation and practice speak volumes about his approach. He knows he would not be where he is stylistically without all the influences that came before. The wider your influences, the broader your approach can be. His love of rhythm obviously influenced his percussive style, his slapping approach was probably introduced to the acoustic guitar thru his years as a bass player, etc etc etc. Everything he has done in the past influences his approach today. When he put down the bass he did not forget the approach, instead he translated it to the guitar. Same with sitar, jazz, metal and all the other influences he has had. Incorporation of many ideas for the betterment of self-expression, not to become a better guitar player. That is just a byproduct of experience and influences. Am I making any sense. It is really hard to talk about someone elses philosophies and influences. My comments are based on my impression of TR from conversations I have had with him on these subjects. Just my interpretation of his words and feelings that he has conveyed to me over the years. He is a truly deep man when it comes to his thoughts. Trying to type them out like this makes it seem almost shallow. There is definitely a spiritual side to his playing. I don't mean in a religious or "god" type way, but in his philosophy. It is a form of communication and a way of expressing himself. He is constantly striving to express himself better and in different ways. A telltale quote from TR to me is "Once I learn to play something the mystery is gone!" We were talking about cover tunes once and in his experience, he might love a song, then he covers it and the mystery is gone for him and he says the song loses something. That is TIM. Once he has conquered something it is time to move forward. You can interpret this as I have, don't just learn to play a TR song, take it to the next level, add your own personal flair and influence to it. Thats how you get to be a "better guitar player". Otherwise you are just learning someone elses form of expression. Create your own. It's one of the reasons he thinks it is funny that people want tabs of him to get to be better guitar players. In his approach it is not about learning what someone else played but creating the music out of you. What is inside you. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that learning TR songs won't make you a better guitar player, of course it will, just don't be content with learning a TR song. Let it be and influence, a stepping stone if you will to your own style and approach to self expression. I think TR would say something like, If you want to play guitar like me, you have to not learn to play guitar like me. Does that make any sense? I hope it does!!

Silky Asked:
quote:
Also, just how long HAS he been playing?
31 years, and NO he was not as good when he started as he is now. I think I covered that. GROWTH

As far as the blues questions goes, TR listens to some blues, not alot. He loves blues, especially the older more traditional blues. Less of the SRV type stuff, although he really admires SRV and his ability. He thinks people like Jony Lang, Kenny Wayne Shepphard, etc etc are great guitar players but they really aren't taking it to new levels. Tim really prefers people he feels are taking chances, in all the styles of music he listens to. He likes alot of different things for alot of different reasons. He did not ever go thru a BLUES phase as he has with other styles of music though. I think his uncle who was he first one to put a guitar in his hand and teach him anything was into the blues, so I am sure to some degree it has had its influence on him as well.

Hope all this helps and that it is clear. If you want me to clarify something I will be happy to. Just LMK

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
pcbTIM Posted - 01/25/2002 : 01:08:02 AM
Good questions! I'd like to hear those answers! But shouldn't this be in the TRelated topics?

quote:

For me, I think it would be an auditory orgasm to hear him tear into something like Texas Flood or The Sky Is Crying.

LOL! Is that when it cums out the ears? I tried that once and........let's just say that my ear drums are more like bongos now. I guess that gives new meaning to the phrase "ear infuction"

"You tried your best and you failed miserably...the lesson is: Never Try."

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000