Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2002 :  04:52:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OH MY GOD!

Last Thursday, I saw Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. It was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen in my life. One cannot fully appreciate Victor Wooten, until they see it with their own eyes and he is live in front of them. His ten minute solo was so awesome. He tuned his bass down whole steps, kept playing, and tuned it back up, and ended playing the same riff he started with. It was so unbelieveable.

Bela's banjos were so beautiful! And they did a song called "At Last We Meet Again". I suggest everyone download it or obtain it somehow. Vic plays a tenor bass like a guitar. The riff he does is so awesome. It's such a beautiful song.

Needless to say it was an outstanding concert. I was blown away.

TOMORROW! SOULIVE! I love this school and the concerts that come here! I'll let you know how Soulive is.

"Don't drink the pickle juice from the pickle jar, until all the pickles are gone."
-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2002 :  2:45:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't a tenor bass basically be a guitar, minus a string or two? Yeah, you often really can't fully appreciate something until you see it with your own eyes, hence my need to see Tim and Bela live...SOON.
Go to Top of Page

SpaceMonkey
Chatterbox

315 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2002 :  2:51:27 PM  Show Profile  Send SpaceMonkey an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You could wait to see the "Tones or you could buy the "Live at the Quick" DVD...it's rad!

Go to Top of Page

Ccr152
Chatterbox

145 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2002 :  6:08:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Ccr152 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
the flecktones have a dvd?? this messageboard is a musical goldmine, thanks guys!

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2002 :  8:34:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vic did the same thing that you saw live, that i saw live. he played this beautiful inspiritional melody groove, then detuned it really low, and in the middle of playing he kept tuning it back up, and finally played the melody groove again in perfect tune!!! good shit! i saw soullive open for DMB and they are fucking great also!

"Set the gear shift to the high gear of your soul, you gotta run like an antelope, out of control" -Dude of Life
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2002 :  9:32:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You could wait to see the "Tones or you could buy the "Live at the Quick" DVD...it's rad!

Damn my lack of funds.

"Well you know boys, a nuclear reactor's a lot like a woman: you just have to read the manual and push the right button." - Homer
Go to Top of Page

dick mountjoy
Chatterbox

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2002 :  10:14:47 PM  Show Profile  Send dick mountjoy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I saw the flecktones at summerfest in Milwaukee this summer and I was flat out amazed at what they could do as a band. It's like they're inside each other's heads they way they pick up on changes in where the music is heading. Amazing musicians.

Go to Top of Page

88 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2002 :  11:54:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what role, if any (permanent), does edgar meyer have with the flecktones?

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2002 :  12:10:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

what role, if any (permanent), does edgar meyer have with the flecktones?

Who the hell is Edgar Meyer?

"Well you know boys, a nuclear reactor's a lot like a woman: you just have to read the manual and push the right button." - Homer
Go to Top of Page

88 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2002 :  08:25:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
edgar meyer is a double bass virtuoso.

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2002 :  1:29:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hell yeah, you actually know edger meyer!! i think he helps bela figure out the classical music stuff and arrange that on banjo. Edger is a huge part of the perpetual motion cd, but as a flecktones member he isn't really. That guy fucking rocks though, he's my double bass inspiration(i play double bass) yeah!

"Set the gear shift to the high gear of your soul, you gotta run like an antelope, out of control" -Dude of Life
Go to Top of Page

Ccr152
Chatterbox

145 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2002 :  2:11:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Ccr152 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i just wanted to say that the vic's bass solo in "the sinister minister" made me come in my pants.

Go to Top of Page

dick mountjoy
Chatterbox

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  12:59:42 AM  Show Profile  Send dick mountjoy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah that throat singer is amazing, however he does that...oh yeah and vic, bela, futureman and the rest are pretty good too.

I can say what I want to, even if I'm not serious. I can say what I want to, even if I'm just kidding. JMK
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  01:19:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
pcbdmb asked:
quote:
Who the hell is Edgar Meyer?

(that line guy)commented:
quote:
edgar meyer is a double bass virtuoso.
And way more than that:

Prominently established as a unique and masterful instrumentalist, Edgar Meyer delights his audiences both as a vibrant performer and an innovative composer. Hailed by the New Yorker as, “...the most remarkable virtuoso in the relatively unchronicled history of his instrument,” Mr. Meyer’s unparalled technique and musicianship in combination with his gift for composition have brought him to the fore, where he is appreciated by a vast, varied audience.
As a solo classical bassist, Mr. Meyer has recently released an album of Bach’s Unaccompanied Suites for Cello and just recorded a concerto album with the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra featuring Bottesini’s Gran Duo with Joshua Bell; Meyer’s Double Concerto for Bass and Cello with Yo-Yo Ma; Bottesini’s Bass Concerto No. 2 and Meyer’s Concerto in D for Bass.

Fruitful collaborations are the cornerstone of Mr. Meyer’s work. The most recent example was the organization of a quartet made up of violinist Joshua Bell and legendary bluegrass musicians Sam Bush and Mike Marshall.

This group joined together for a collaboration featuring a unique fusion of classical and bluegrass musical styles. Their first performances were in June of 1998 at the Aspen Music Festival and at Indiana University.

They made their New York debut at the Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center following an extensive North American tour. The album, Short Trip Home, released in Fall 1999, was nominated for a Grammy award in the category of Best Classical Crossover album and the group was subsequently invited to perform live at the 42nd annual Grammy Awards. Shortly before this collaboration, Mr. Meyer was involved in an inventive trio project with Béla Fleck on banjo and Mike Marshall on mandolin, performing original compositions marrying bluegrass, classical and other traditional styles. In October 1997, the Fleck/Marshall/Meyer trio opened the 1997-98 season of the Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center in conjunction with the release of their SONY disc, Uncommon Ritual. Earlier in Mr. Meyer’s career, from 1986-1992, he was a member of the progressive bluegrass band “Strength in Numbers,” whose members included Sam Bush, Jerry Douglas, Béla Fleck, and Mark O’Connor. Mr. Meyer also works with pianist Amy Dorfman, his longtime accompanist for solo recitals, featuring both classical repertoire and his own compositions. To further explore his interests in af variety of musical genres, Mr. Meyer’s vast musical interests have also led him to be a widely sought after guest bass player for an assortment of recording artists, such as Garth Brooks, Bruce Cockburn, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Hank Williams, Jr., Emmylou Harris, James Taylor, Lyle Lovett, T-Bone Burnett, Reba McIntyre, the Indigo Girls, Travis Tritt and the Chieftains.

An exclusive SONY artist who is ever involved in imaginative projects, Mr. Meyer and colleagues Yo-Yo Ma and Mark O’ Connor have been widely acclaimed for the Sony release of Appalachia Waltz, which soared to the top of the charts and remained there for 16 weeks. Appalachia Waltz toured extensively in the U.S., and the trio was featured both on the David Letterman Show and the televised 1997 Inaugural Gala. Joining with Yo-Yo Ma and Mark O’Connor for a second time, Appalachian Journey, the follow-up to Appalachia Waltz, was released in March 2000. This time, their tour took them not only to major venues across the U.S. but also to Europe and parts of Asia. Appalachian Journey won the Grammy Award for Best Classical Crossover Album that season. In October 1999, Mr. Meyer’s violin concerto written for violinist Hilary Hahn was premiered and recorded by Ms. Hahn with the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra led by Hugh Wolff.

Mr. Meyer began studying bass at the age of five under the instruction of his father, and continued further to study with Stuart Sankey. He is the winner of numerous competitions. In 1994 he became the only bassist to receive the Avery Fisher Career Grant and in 2000 became the only bassist to receive the Avery Fisher Prize. Mr. Meyer premiered his bass concerto in 1993 with Edo de Waart and the Minnesota Orchestra, and in 1995, he premiered his Quintet for Bass and String Quartet in collaboration with the Emerson String Quartet, which was later recorded on the Deutsche Grammophon label. Also, in 1995, he premiered hisDouble Concerto for Bass and Cello, in collaboration with Carter Brey, cello and Jeffrey Kahane conducting the San Luis Obispo Mozart Festival Orchestra. Most recently, Mr. Meyer made his Boston Symphony debut with Seiji Ozawa conducting, featuring the premiere of one of his own works, the Meyer Double Concerto for Bass and Cello with Yo-Yo Ma.

A frequent guest at music festivals, Mr. Meyer has appeared as performer and composer at Aspen, Tanglewood, Caramoor, Chamber Music Northwest, and Marlboro. At the Sante Fe Chamber Music Festival, he was a regular guest from 1985-1993, and composed six works for the festival during that time.

In 1994, Mr. Meyer joined the Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center and continues to perform regularly with this ensemble. Currently, he is also Visiting Professor of Double Bass at the Royal Academy of Music.

Check out this link for more info:

http://www.edgarmeyer.com/

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  01:26:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You have also touched on another of my guilty pleasures Tuvan throat singing. Most people I know just don't get it, but I love it. I am particularly fond of Huun-Huur-Tu, the throat-singers of Tuva. For more info about them and what they do, check out:

http://www.huunhuurtu.com/

and especially this page:

http://www.huunhuurtu.com/history.html Very Interesting STUFF!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  01:37:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well that definetely answered my question. Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  01:46:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
YOU ASKED!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  01:47:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I know I did. That's why I was thanking you for answering it.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  01:54:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
OHHHHH, I thought I detected a tone of sarcasm in your typing. NEVERMIND! Oh wait, you're welcome!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  04:58:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
No no......[sarcasm]This is sarcasm!!!![/sarcasm]

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2002 :  7:20:49 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Fluffy, good post on Edgar Meyer. He IS that good. Amazing, in fact.

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2002 :  01:04:51 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Super, I'll check that out sometime.

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2002 :  10:48:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone here remember on the flecktones website, there were a few videos you could've have streamed from the site. Now there no where to be found. Anyone know what i'm talking about?

'HTG, are you a cute girl?'
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000