Calhouns Harrisonburg VA Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2002 :  12:07:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here is a conversation between VWF and PJK sparked by comments made by Mike Sokolowski about the most recent TR show he saw. Here are Mike's comments and the commments between VWF and PJK that followed:

SOKO said after seeing the C-ville ChaosView show:
quote:
Had a FANTASTIC time last night. I had to leave just prior to end of
set because I had been there two hours and was worried about leaving Mary alone any longer. The video/visual stuff was beautiful, well synched, and really powerful. Really top notch -- elegant, no bullshit. Kudos to whoever is working on it.

The virtual rhythm section kicks f*$kin' ass, man!Substituting? Hell it was better than live! It's really inspired me to view the drum machine stuff I'm working with right now not so much as demo scratch tracks, but as keepers. Of course, TR is one badass drum programmer -- sheesh.! That shit was perfect. And great sound quality, too.

As I was telling Tim Roux, the really old TR3 tunes were slamming me with many memories of crazed energy, psychedelic weirdness, coke parties,amazing swirling women dripping sex in a Dionysian Dance Frenzy. What a time that was. Like walking into Calhoun's in Harrisonburg circa '84 high on shrooms and immediately enveloped by the haunting strains of "Uncover the Reason." The audience energy back then really helped to put the music way
over the top. (I heard the Steve Kimock Band a few months ago, and that was the closest thing I've ever experienced to those early TR3 shows, only without the killer songwriting and musical twists and turns. But that guy can seriously play guitar and his drummer, Rodney Holmes, is just ridiculous.)

Cut to 2002 where the audience is weighed more to young dudes --many of whom weren't even alive when some of those tunes were being wailed upon by Ron Pruitt and Jos amid candles and Tim in robes, etc -- standing quietly around, very few people dancing. So different -- really interesting how it has changed over time.

All that said, I'm still so impressed by the current direction. It really is the logical, mature evolution of this stuff. I can see more clearly what your vision for the rhythm section always was. That shit last night was SO tight, articulate, and sounding so good, I had a permanent smile going. Very proud of you, Tim. I was really inspired. Thank you.

VWF said:
quote:
Calhoun's in harrisonburg is like 40 minutes from my house!! i've seen awesome jazz groups there before, with the guitarist Sam wilson!! Oh my god! calhouns!!

PJK said:
quote:
So kewel living close to Calhoun's VWF! I think the shrooms had something to do with the crowd energy, thus making me wonder if in reality the music was really over the top???? Oh, who cares, it felt like it was that's what matters!

VWF said:
quote:
that's so weird, because calhouns(now at least) is justa nice fancy restaurant where the groups play on the rooftop to a small porch set-up. i would never connect that and shrooms together! ah well, i guess things change o'er time.

PJK said:
quote:
I guess things do change, still it sounds like a great place to go to hear music. You said you've seen awesome jazz groups there...I think that is pretty kewl. Here in Philly the place to go for Jazz is Orliebs Haus. Tuesday nights is jam night and people bring instruments and jam....very kewl!!!

VWF said:
quote:
At calhoun's there aren't too many "big name" performers. you're not gonna go in and see chick corea or wynton marsalis, but the groups they have are just fucking awesome! the best was the scott trayer trio with sam wilson. sax, drums, upright bass(scott trayer), and guitar(sam wilson). sam and scott are the hands down best guitar/bass players i have ever feasted my eyes upon, just amazing stuff. sam will probably go on to bigger stuff as will scott. Royce cambell played with them once, and sam blew that guy away!! royce is apparently some jazz icon, but i didn't think he was as good.

PJK said:
quote:
I actually thought I heard of the Scott Trayer Trio but maybe it is just one of those names that sounds like I heard them before. I sure would like to hear them someTIMe.

VWF said:
quote:
If you live in the northern Virginia area then there is a good chance of that, they play a lot around there. awesome jazz trio, def. look em up if you can.

PJK said:
quote:
I don't live there but have been through a lot....must have been when I was traveling through.
I am going to try to catch one of their shows someTIMe.Thanks for the info.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2002 :  12:32:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooooops! I take it we were on the wrong forum side since this was no longer about TIM....sorry

VWF if you hear that the Scott Trayer Trio is going to be playing some weekend would you e-mail me as soon as possible? I would really appreciate it! Thanks

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2002 :  01:36:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Actually, it had more to do with the fact that I was sick of seeing that topic that the thread was originally about at the top of the page every TIMe I went to the TRelated forum. So I saved the important new topic info and hopefully that topic will drop away and disappear. No need for apologies, just trying to make the board as useful for everyone as possible.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2002 :  06:14:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks!

You KNOW how I felt about that original topic!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2002 :  06:31:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's why I was shocked when you kept bringing it back to the top even though you were discussing something completely different at that point. As Monty Python would say, "AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!"

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2002 :  06:36:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, I shocked myself because I didn't think I would ever go into that again....something I remember about going from the frypan inot the fire, hehehe. Anyway when it was on a topic I was interested in I forgot about the original topic and just kept on posting.

REALLY glad you changed it. Jazz is much nicer to talk!

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2002 :  06:40:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
ANYTHING is better than that topic. HEHE

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

trayerrx
Is Anybody Here?

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2003 :  03:10:54 AM  Show Profile  Send trayerrx an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Peoples,

I am Scott Trayer. Just some information in regards to some of the things brought up in this thread: Unfortunately, the original Scott Trayer Trio is no more. The three of us moved to N.Y.C. together and we all found new and different people to play with. I'm back in the area (VA) temporarily, and I am playing as much as possible with Sam Wilson. We have only one date booked together right now, but surely there will be more to come. Sunday, January 19, 2003 we will be at Orbit in Charlottesville, VA in a trio setting (probably with Richmond drummer Brian Caputo). We'll be doing a lot of brand new original music. Email me for more info, or to make sure that the gig doesn't get cancelled or moved for some reason. Thanks guys!

Scotty
trayerrx@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2003 :  06:38:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott,Wow, thanks so much for posting here! Welocme!!!! Hope VFW sees this!!!!! Keep us posted on anywhere else you may be playing! I for one would love to hear you! Best wishes on your Charlottesville show!

Out of curiosity, how did you find this post on the board? Are you also a fan of Tim's????Mike Sokolosky's???? However you found it, I'm so glad you did!

I will try to email you. Again, thanks for posting! Pam

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2003 :  6:41:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VictorWootenFan did you see this??????

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2003 :  10:32:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Scott, remember me, matt smiley! i'm the guy whose taking lessons from sam and is arlie's friend. For everyone out there Scott is my hero, i hope to see him play again soon. Sam Wilson is really great too, catch em both if you can!

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2003 :  07:36:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got an email from Scott. The Jan 19 show is cancelled. He got a call to fly down to Miami and hop a cruise ship! Like he said, he was bummed about cancelling the show but he can't complain, touring the islands and playing with a group of musicians isn't all bad. hehe

Just thought I would pass this on to you Victorwootenfan, because I knew you were interested in his band.

BTW I got the Bela Fleck DVD and WOW! Now I know why you are a Victor Wooten fan! I had fun watching the tabla player too! Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2003 :  3:28:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
heck yeah on both occasions! last time i talked to him he said he was playing electric bass on a cruise liner in a tonite show kind of band. what fun that would be though. I'm still waiting for my victor wooten live at bass day dvd, any day now...

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com
Go to Top of Page

moomoo
Is Anybody Here?

Argentina
3 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2004 :  12:16:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i am familiar with this scott trayer trio. he truly is amazing. it's terrible that he left Virginia, he truly left a musical hole in our hearts. He had an amazing group. All of us in Richmond looked up to him. I personally loved watching him play. But then again, I eat my own shit.
Go to Top of Page

moomoo
Is Anybody Here?

Argentina
3 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2004 :  12:17:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i am familiar with this scott trayer trio. he truly is amazing. it's terrible that he left Virginia, he truly left a musical hole in our hearts. He had an amazing group. All of us in Richmond looked up to him. I personally loved watching him play. But then again, I eat my own shit.
Go to Top of Page

moomoo
Is Anybody Here?

Argentina
3 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2004 :  12:24:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000