Can ANYONE recognize this song? SEGOVIA
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2003 :  4:38:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
btw - still no word on the classical piece:

http://www.archive.org/download/tr2003-07-17.flac16/tr2003-07-17d1t07.flac

~pw'oikr
~( ">

Anne-Sophie
Is Anybody Here?

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2003 :  5:41:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Anne-Sophie's Homepage  Send Anne-Sophie an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erich
btw - still no word on the classical piece:

http://www.angelfire.com/weird/erichwanh

Which classical piece?
Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2003 :  6:08:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
thats what im asking the one that says unknown piece.

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

Anne-Sophie
Is Anybody Here?

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2003 :  6:31:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Anne-Sophie's Homepage  Send Anne-Sophie an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm confused as to which mp3...
Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2003 :  6:40:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
theyre all the same song, everything thats under "unknown piece". the one on the bottom is... i think Radar Contact -> BBoHA

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2003 :  12:36:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Erich I am glad you have not given up on this one because it has been driving me absolutely crazy!!!!!!

Guess Jon doesn't know it? I KNOW I heard this before but can't get past the Sergovia thing to think about who it is?????

Please, someone must know this song!!!!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2003 :  01:09:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
site not workin.

Remember, turn off your tv. Read.
Go to Top of Page

toulon99
Is Anybody Here?

4 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2003 :  4:48:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Erich,

I just sent the link to my friend who is a brilliant and moderately famous classical pianist. he should be able to name that tune!

I will let you know what he says.

James
Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2003 :  4:54:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
kick ass. thanks James

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2003 :  5:29:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW James, ever since Erich posted this months ago, I have been going crazy with that piece because I know it but can't for the life of me think what it is called or where I heard it! I am praying your friend will know what the name of that piece is!

You have no idea how many hours I have spent checking out classical pieces!

Thanks, Pam

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Anne-Sophie
Is Anybody Here?

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2003 :  3:25:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Anne-Sophie's Homepage  Send Anne-Sophie an AOL message  Reply with Quote
From Tatsuya,

"Hey James. It is based on some kindda Baroque
music.... Sounds like Bach's menuet but not quite
that... Could be arrangement or smilar piece by him."

we have one other person we are going to hit up for their expertise. Let you know what we find.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2003 :  4:38:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be great to know what is the name of the "Classical Piece". Might Fluffy ask Tim?

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2003 :  6:42:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could be wrong but I thought even TIM couldn't remember what it was called? I thought Fluffy thought Jon Soldo might know but I never heard from Jon about it. Could you set me straight Erich???? Thanks

Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2003 :  8:12:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arthen

It would be great to know what is the name of the "Classical Piece". Might Fluffy ask Tim?

yeah, i asked tim and he forgot the name of it He said it was something segovia played, though it was last september and my memory of what he said is starting to haze.

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2003 :  9:24:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought it was Segovia too but I went though tons of songs and didn't come across it! Ahhhh I sure hope SOMEONE will answer this one! It is such a beautiful song!

Go to Top of Page

Lindalu
Try A Little Harder

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2003 :  6:44:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, if you're still trying to figure this out, I'm going to give it a guess.When I listened to the song (it is very pretty), I knew I had heard it somewhere too. What came to mind (and I know I'm probably wrong), but have you ever seen the commercials for the religious cd's? During the hook of the song, I keep wanting to sing...."and so I walked in the shadow of ...." I vaguely remember the words, and if I'm completely wrong, don't beat me up! This kind of stuff keeps me up at night too.
Go to Top of Page

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2004 :  12:29:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just wondering, did anyone ever uncover the answer to this mystery? I doubt I ever knew the answer, but the song seems strangely familiar.
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2004 :  01:13:53 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
is it a bach courante?

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2004 :  01:51:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, it's the piece that's simply titled Segovia on some set lists. As I recall, story goes that Erich was wondering what the title of the song was and when he got a chance to ask TR, he himself did not remember what it was called, but did know that it was a song that Segovia had performed. So, for about 2 years we've been kind of stuck on what the song's name is...
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2004 :  01:53:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's Bach related. I just had a music class where we went over a lot of his material, but I'd forgotten about this thread. It sounds familiar. When I go back to school in the Fall I can ask my old professor, who is an organist/harpsichordist/pianist, and is obssesed with Bach.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

SandyCarl
Try A Little Harder

81 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2004 :  11:45:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bach is an excellent choice of obsession.
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2004 :  12:42:51 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i'd be inclined to agree.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2004 :  2:02:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it's not Bach then it has to be one of his contemporaries from that period. I have quite a bit of Bach's music and I can't find a Courante that sounds anything like it. We need to consult an expert somewhere.
BTW how can you not be obsessed with bach?

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2004 :  2:20:30 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i'll ask some of my teachers.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2004 :  4:50:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found IT!!! I found it!!! Cello Suite No. 1 (BWV 1007) J.S. Bach Courante!!! Listen to the Midi here at http://www.classicalguitarmidi.com/bach.html
It's about 3/4 of the way down the page.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2004 :  8:37:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, an age olde mystery solved. Not even TR himself remembers what piece of music it was. He just knew he heard it on a Segovia CD he used to have. He thought it was Bach, but he wasn't positive. Way back in the early days of my tenure with TR Jon Soldo asked the question to TR and I remember TR giving JS an answer but have no idea what the answer was. My guess is it was the same answer I got from TR when grilled about it. "I think it was a Bach piece, that I heard recorded by Segovia." Glad the mystery is finally solved. You have made so many people SOOOOO happy. Gold star to Zachmozach!!!

As per Z's info, I found these 2 Segovia CD's with that track. Maybe one of these is the one TR learned it from. I am sure there are more out there. But these were the first 2 I found and they sell for $6.99 & $7.99 respectively:

Art Of The Guitar / Andres Segovia, John Williams
Release Date: 10/01/1995   Label: Madacy Records   Catalog: 4934
Composer:  Johann Sebastian Bach
Performer:  Andrés Segovia,  John [guitar] Williams

Bach On Guitar / Andres Segovia, John Williams
Release Date: 04/09/2003   Label: Bescol   Catalog: 705
Composer:  Johann Sebastian Bach
Performer:  John [guitar] Williams,  Andrés Segovia

It's prolly the first one as the 2nd one is too new for it to be where TR heard it. Who knows, maybe the 2nd is a reissue of the 1st one.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2004 :  9:57:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see, then yes, it is Courante. Yup, I was wrong because I thought the song in question was actually another song. The song I was thinking of was from the show at the HOB on July 17th, 2003. You can find it with this link in the archive-thingy: http://www.archive.org/download/tr2003-07-17.flac16/tr2003-07-17d1t07.flac . TR's also done it on one of the soundcheck videos too, as I recall.
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2004 :  11:37:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must have really been mistaken because that didn't sound at all like what I was thinking of. Maybe I too thought a different song was in question. Now I am more confused then ever, LOL

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2004 :  02:32:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bach is indeed a badass.

Got arrested and thrown in jail for a month for asking to take a better job elsewhere. Crazy.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2004 :  04:58:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JTR

I see, then yes, it is Courante. Yup, I was wrong because I thought the song in question was actually another song. The song I was thinking of was from the show at the HOB on July 17th, 2003. You can find it with this link in the archive-thingy: http://www.archive.org/download/tr2003-07-17.flac16/tr2003-07-17d1t07.flac . TR's also done it on one of the soundcheck videos too, as I recall.

yes, its THIS song I cant figure out that tim doesnt know. Hes down with Courante already. man, its driving me nuts still :p

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2004 :  06:36:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Erich, I can't get any of the links here so staighten me out. Courante is NOT the song you were looking for, right? I mean, when I listened to that, which BTW I had no trouble linking up with, it didn't sound at all like the song I thought we were looking for. I still was thinking Sergovia.

Yes, confusion reins supreme! LOL

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2004 :  12:48:59 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i fucking quit.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2004 :  3:35:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I found the wrong classical piece. Did we already no that one? Well my only suggestion for finding this one is to find out what key it's in. That would help a lot. Then you can search by pieces in that key and narrow things down a lot.

Go to Top of Page

Jorgy
Is Anybody Here?

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  03:58:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is the page with the mystery song still working or is my computer illiteacy getting the best of me?
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2004 :  10:31:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once again this perplexes me, I am listening to Segovia today, wondering if the song we are trying to place is Bach's Parita No3 in E?

I can't link up to the song in question anymore. Not sure if this is it but no matter because I am loving this piece anyway.

Oh and Happy fourth of July everyone!

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2004 :  7:25:16 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorgy

is the page with the mystery song still working or is my computer illiteacy getting the best of me?

as opposed to the regular type?

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2004 :  1:41:19 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Tim said last night, that the album the song is on was an old cassette called something "Castle" so maybe that will help us a bit.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2004 :  3:55:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Castles of Spain http://www.musicstack.com/search/andres_segovia.html http://www.musicstack.com/tsearch/andres_segovia/castles_of_spain_s
That should narrow it down, but does anybody have it?

Go to Top of Page

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2004 :  11:29:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The pieces performed on the Castles of Spain album are a set of works by Federico Moreno Torroba, I think. I haven't heard the album, but everytime I search I find info with his named as the composer and Segovia as the arranger. Using that info with a website with an extensive collection of classical tabs (http://alt.venus.co.uk/weed/music/classtab/welcome.htm), I have this list of songs that appear to be from that album (or at least Volume 1). This list is the same list as can be found on that classical tab website:

Federico Moreno Torroba (1891-1982)
Castles of Spain Vol 1 - Turégano (Serranilla)
Castles of Spain Vol 1 - Torija (Elegia)
Castles of Spain Vol 1 - Manzanares El Real (A la Moca Fermosa)
Castles of Spain Vol 1 - Montemayor (Romance De Los Pinos)
Castles of Spain Vol 1 - Alcaniz (Festiva)
Castles of Spain Vol 1 - Sigüenza (La Infanta Duerme)
Castles of Spain Vol 1 - Alba De Tormes (Trova)
Castles of Spain Vol 1 - Alcazar de Segovia (Llamda)

Using the tabs, and some midis, from that classical tab site, I still haven't been able to determine if one of these songs is the "Segovia song" we're searching for. Although the answer may not have been found, I think we're getting closer to it. Have a look at the tabs and midis and see if you can't hear it in one of those. I thought for a second that Alcaniz (Festiva) was the "Segovia song," but I remain unsure.
Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2004 :  12:08:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
man, you guys rock my ass. one step closer! 5 1/2+ years searching and going strong!

Alcaniz did sound like it, but i think its different. shame. pain in my ass that its so close!!!

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2005 :  11:07:17 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well I picked up the Segovia Boxset yesterday... 4 discs, almost 5 hours of music that I'll be listening to over the next few days, and I'll be sure to post here if I hear the piece.

Alcaniz (Festiva) does (sort of) sound like it... If I don't hear anything better, then we might just have to assume that TR's version differs from the original, and that this might be it.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  01:15:19 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, I dunno... I guess maybe I can play this song for Tim when he is here and California and ask him if this is it. I'm still not quite convinced, but it is still the closest piece I've heard.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  2:10:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Your dedication astounds me you guys!
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  02:10:42 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
*UPDATE*

I burned a cd of disc 2 of the Segovia Box (the disc that featured Castles of Spain) and gave it to Tim after the show in San Juan Capisrano. Tim said that he is sure the song was on Castles of Spain, and he also said that when he hears it he will probably be taken by surprise at how much different it is from his interpretation of it, because when he did it, it was more of an inspired interpretation of the song that he remembered back when he had the cassette, which was a while ago. Hope to hear from either Tim or Fluffy soon with confirmation!

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  2:43:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It will be soooo great if you've finally solved this mystery!

teri
Twittering about the DC adventure since Dec '09...
(Micro)Blog * Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  3:04:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I remember Kevin, I'll ask him about it on Sunday.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Kevin
Chatterbox

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  3:46:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well that makes it even harder to find the song if what Tim plays is just his interp of it lol. I've been working on a tab of this song, btw...I've got the first section done, and working on the second. Man is it hard to play :P
Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  4:15:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
so close! thanks kevin. I bet when he hears it it'll be so different that we might as well call it a tim original and have him name it for us *laughs*

oh, Arthen - can you do me a big favour? Ask Tim if the song "Where have the years..." is an original or not. If you can, great. Danke :)

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  5:01:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin I guess Segovia playing Bach's Parita No3 in E isn't on that disc eh? That is the closest I could find to it.

I bet Erich is right, that if TIM hears the song his version is nothing like it! And yes Erich, he should name it for us! That way we will know it once and for all!

Arthen, have a great TIMe at the concert, you deserve to for sure!

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  5:49:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will take my typical Tim Concert Notebook (in which I write down setlists, etc) with those questions written down. Hopefully I'll get some answers out of him and Fluffy.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  04:39:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
any update, gwarthen?

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  9:09:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, hate to bring this out of the woodwork again but I am listening to Segovia as I work on my book report and darn, that piece we were looking for, it wasn't Robert De Visee's Menuet was it? I know TR said it was Bach but the Menuet sounds a bit like Bach's Partita No. 3 in E. OK, maybe I am just crazy, LOL.

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  10:38:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never saw this thread after my last post on it, whoops.

But anyways, I never got to talk to TR about it, if memory serves they booked from the show pretty quickly. I was lucky to have caught Fluffy for a bit, but I didn't even see TR.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

dancheatham
Chatterbox

USA
180 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  10:28:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit dancheatham's Homepage  Send dancheatham an AOL message  Reply with Quote
As far as I can tell, it's Alañiz (Festiva), but it's not identical. Sounds like Tim's just got his own version of it. The song isn't even really close to anything else on Castillos de España, and they sound very similar to me.

Daniel Cheatham
dmbalmanac.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000