New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

guitarted
Chatterbox

Canada
487 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  09:42:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like to hear about great guitarists other than Tim that you guys look up to. I'm really into almost any music especially if there is a talented guitarist in the mix.

A few guitarists I really like to listen to include:

Leo Kottke
Al Dimeola

Who else should I check out?

Tim, come to Canada!

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  10:24:05 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
michael hedges is out of this world.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  12:00:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Justin King, Joe Pass (Virtuoso 1&2 albums), and David Grier off the top of my head. Then there's the classical guitarists like Segovia, and John Williams (who has an album out called the magic box which is like african style music and it's damn good). Then the Los Angeles Guitar Quartet has some cool guitar work as a group.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  12:08:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Top of that list for me would be Chris Whitley who has as unique a style of playing as TR. Quite different from TR, but just as unique. Another self-taught geetar player who invents almost all of his own tunings and says he has a hard TIMe playing songs by other people as they were written because he doesn't play guitar in the standard way. When he does a cover it is usually Chris' very own unique vision of the song. Quite unique. SEEING is believeing.

Larry Coryell
John McLaughlin
Frank Zappa
Steve Khan
Django Reinhardt
Paco DeLucia

In fact, McLaughlin, DeLucia and DiMeola did some wonderful albums together that I highly recommend. The guitars are mixed in such a fashion that you can actually tell who is playing what, one is mixed to the right channel, one is mixed to the left and the other is centered, but all together it sounds like 1 BRILLIANT guitar player.

An up-and-coming guy you may want to look into is Marcus Eaton. He grew up a fan of TR and subsequently has a sound very similar to TR's. I think it will be interesting to see what comes from him in the future.

I tried to stay away from "rock" guitarists because the for me the list is endless. I did list Zappa who is considered by most a "rock" guitarist, but if you listen to stuff like "Shut Up and Play Your Guitar" Zappa's approach was way beyond your standard rock guitarist.

I am sure there are more, but those are the ones that immediately pop to mind. Of course I would have mentioned all 3 that have already been mentioned, but hey, they were already mentioned. I second that emotion!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

mattc
Try A Little Harder

67 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  2:29:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i second the mention of michael hedges, that guy was() amazing. justin king is great too. fluffy's list is great too.

-matt
critchlm@uci.edu
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  2:50:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My favorites, in no particular order...most are fingerstyle players...

Jeff Lang (played with Chris Whitley a few times in the past, awesome Australian blues, best bottleneck player I've ever heard.)

Leo Kottke (nuff said...)

Michael Hedges

Chris Whitley (Really powerful, you can literally feel every song he plays)

Kelly Joe Phelps (Singing, writing, fingerpicking God of Gods)

Mississippi Fred Mcdowell (Great old-time bottleneck)

Electric guitar:

SRV (yeah...)

Neil Young (Dan P., stay out of this. Listen to Cortez the Killer)

Dean Ween (Listen to Quebec)

The dude from Rage

And I wish you all could hear my good friend Anthony play...the man is absolutely amazing...I can bet he'll be on someone's "Greatest Guitarists" list in about 10 years.

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  2:52:58 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The only name that hasn't already been mentioned that I would add to the list would be Lindsey Buckingham.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  3:21:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a side note for those in the LA area and might want to see Justin King. He'll be playing...
Sept 7th, 14th, 21st, & 28th, 2004
Knitting Factory, LA 8:00pm $5.00
7021 Hollywood Blvd. Suite 209, Hollywood CA 90028

I missed him when he played Oregon here a little over a week ago. So check him out.

Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  3:27:51 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KevinLesko

The only name that hasn't already been mentioned that I would add to the list would be Lindsey Buckingham.

First of all, have to echo the Lindsey Buckingham statement. The song Big Love with that running bassline is sweet. Not necessarily in terms of pure physical skill, but in terms of style I'd have to list James Taylor and Paul Simon. Men that can sit in front of a big crowd and keep everyone interested with only one piece of wood and a microphone are inspiring to me. Vai is inspiring I suppose...not because I like his music but because the man has obvious physical talent. Also a big fan of Zeppelin so I'd throw Page up there...even though he might be on the overrated side, he's still damn good.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  3:55:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
DJANGO REINHARDT!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

guitarted
Chatterbox

Canada
487 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  4:07:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jay

The dude from Rage

You mean Tom Morello. Yea I forgot about him, he's awesome too

Tim, come to Canada!
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  4:33:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff Buckley was great on electric.

Pretty much most of my favorite guitarists got mentioned. So here's some other instruments:

Banjo: The One, the Only: Bela Fleck
Bass: Vic Wooten
Upright Bass: Edgar Meyer
Violin: Shankar

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  4:59:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arthen

Violin: Shankar

Did you mean sitar or is there another Shankar I don't know about?

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  5:00:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I mean Shankar, the man with the double necked Violin. He's played a lot with Peter Gabriel including work on Passion and Secret World Live. He is amazing.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  5:02:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not related to Ravi though correct?

Go to Top of Page

Macht
Chatterbox

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  5:47:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Macht an AOL message  Reply with Quote
my brothers

Authorities here are alert
Go to Top of Page

mattc
Try A Little Harder

67 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  6:06:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zachmozach

Just a side note for those in the LA area and might want to see Justin King. He'll be playing...
Sept 7th, 14th, 21st, & 28th, 2004
Knitting Factory, LA 8:00pm $5.00
7021 Hollywood Blvd. Suite 209, Hollywood CA 90028

I missed him when he played Oregon here a little over a week ago. So check him out.

whoa thanks. saw him play last year and was blown away. im going to try and get to all of these, especially since they're all $5 :). thanks for the heads up.

-matt
critchlm@uci.edu
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  9:05:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure, but I don't think Shankar is related to Ravi Shankar.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  9:13:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
in addition to several already mentioned on this page
stupid freakin [X]'s dont inspire me.........
the pictures linked that didnt work were of, Johhny Greenwood, Ed O'Brian, and Thom York.

Remember, turn off your tv. Read.
Go to Top of Page

prsmartin
Yak Addict

USA
547 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  9:21:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit prsmartin's Homepage  Send prsmartin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My geetar inspiration is the man...the myth...the legend...Fluffy!

I also like TR. He is ok. If ya like good guitarists and all.

Silky is ok too. He's a smoothe playa.

FTP INFORMATION:
69.171.44.51 - Port 21
User - tim
Password - reynolds
http://www.timreynolds.com/torrents
timreynoldsftp@hotmail.com
Peace...
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  9:26:44 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jay

Leo Kottke (nuff said...)

Jay, I hear you speak of Leo Kottke all the time. Never heard any of his stuff. Anything specific you can recommend? I assume he's purely instrumental.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  9:44:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Eric Clapton is so good he made me want to pick up the guitar originally.

SRV and Tim are so good they make me want to quit.

But it's David Gilmour's touch that I want for my own.

Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  10:26:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mattc

whoa thanks. saw him play last year and was blown away. im going to try and get to all of these, especially since they're all $5 :). thanks for the heads up.

No problem. If you want to return the favor, see if anyone tapes and try to get a hold of a copy because I would love to get some of his stuff. I don't know what his taping policy is though.

Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  10:31:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
originaly posted by Silky the Pimp But it's David Gilmour's touch that I want for my own.

God, i wish i could solo only half as well as he does.

Remember, turn off your tv. Read.
Go to Top of Page

guitarted
Chatterbox

Canada
487 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2004 :  12:08:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Saint Jude

quote:
originaly posted by Silky the Pimp But it's David Gilmour's touch that I want for my own.

God, i wish i could solo only half as well as he does.

I third that.

David gilmour's feel is amazing. I can't get Another brick on the wall solo out of my head.

Tim, come to Canada!
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2004 :  12:09:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gilmour rocks.

Leo Kottke is really, really great. Check out the album "Ice Water".

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2004 :  07:45:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think Leo Kottke's best CD is "6 & 12 String Guitar." It doesn't stop moving the whole way through. And I add Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead to that list...what are you all thinking?

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

guitarted
Chatterbox

Canada
487 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2004 :  11:03:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about MY FEET ARE SMILING

I always liked that album of his
I never get tired of his song BUSTED BICYCLE

I like his odd little sense of humour too, like when he farts for everyone before busting into his next tune

Tim, come to Canada!
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  5:32:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
CppJames, The best Kottke is Live Kottke...If you want a bootleg, I've got two really nice ones lined up for ya that I'd be glad to trade/b+p for if you want one, or both, or some KJP or Jeff Lang or something in addition...Kingfi1822@aol.com...Actually, this goes out to anyone who wants it...

As for released stuff, his live recordings of course, plus the two already mentioned...My all-time favorite is Mudlark, but there's also Dreams and All That Stuff which is all really spacey instrumental shite...His new one is pretty good, too, although I haven't had much time to listen to it...It's his most improvisational work to date, it's called Try and Stop Me...Los Lobos guest on the last song...Ice Water is great, my copy was broken by a flying clay sculpture. I love Tilt Billings and the last song...name slips my mind...Regards From Chuck Pink is really spacey, a lot of electric guitar but nice music anyway...One Guitar, No Vocals is, however, possibly the greatest show of Leo's talent besides bootlegs...Morning is the Long Way Home sticks out, as does Retrograde and Bigger Situation.

As for released live shite, My Feet Are Smiling is a great one of his older stuff from 6&12, Mudlark, and Greenhouse (did I mention Greenhouse? Great album) "Live" is all newer stuff with some healthy improv to boot.

The best thing about Leo's older work, with the exception of 6& 12 string Guitar, is that they're all 10 bucks at almost everywhere you go...Mudlark, Greenhouse, My Feet Are Smiling, Chewing Pine(really weird) Ice Water (Guess I owe it all to Pamela Brown, eh?) so it's easy to stock up...

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

pman13a
Is Anybody Here?

16 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  5:54:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bela fleck although he plays the banjo
Go to Top of Page

LoveToday
Chatterbox

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  6:22:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neal Schon
Steve Vai
Al DiMeola
Alex Skolnick

oh yeah.... and Charo...

she actually is very good, not my favorite genre but talented just the same

I childproof my home... and they still get in!
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  7:14:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pman13a

Bela fleck although he plays the banjo

Plays some guitar too. He actually started playing guitar before the banjo. He has a pretty sweet guitar made by a swiss company that doesn't manufacture guitars anymore if I remember right.

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  6:13:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that Swiss company makes stereo equipment now.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2004 :  01:53:58 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
everyone cuts al dimeola down for being all chops and playing really fast too much. i say fuck that. al dimeomla i undeniably the man.

the lead guitarist from blind guardian has a certain claim to that title.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2004 :  04:40:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David Rhodes is pretty good too.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

LoveToday
Chatterbox

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2004 :  10:39:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an old recording (on cassette) of Steve Vai and Al DiMeola in some bar like 20 years ago. Al is slamming out the Peanuts theme on the bass. He is doing BOTH parts at the same time and the first time I heard it, I was literally speechless. Al Rules.

Go to Top of Page

thomasode
Yak Addict

565 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2004 :  11:20:32 PM  Show Profile  Send thomasode an AOL message  Reply with Quote
KELLER WILLIAMS!!!!!!! YES
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2004 :  1:47:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm listening to Vic and Keller Jam now and it's some sick shit.

Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2004 :  3:54:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just thought of two more I need to mention.

Stanley Jordan the great tapping guitar man. Pretty mind blowing techniques but he's all about the music.

Reggie Wooten. I've seen him twice with his brother and he blows me away every time.

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2004 :  4:14:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reggie is a maniac.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2004 :  4:27:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya it was funny when I saw him with Vic in feb. I looked around the room while he was playing buy himself and everyones mouth was literally open jaw dropped in awe. It was quite a sight. I don't think many people hear him before they seem so everyone is just like WTF.

Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  08:41:21 AM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Also have to add Don Felder...once again more for musical ability than pure physical talent. Speaking of the Eagles, Joe Walsh wouldn't hurt this list either.

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  12:35:52 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i don't know what so many people have against the eagles. i think they're good.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  1:11:35 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dan p.

i don't know what so many people have against the eagles. i think they're good.

I've never really heard anyone rip them apart. Interesting, I'll have to see if I can find some criticisms out there. While some of their stuff isn't very complicated, I'll admit...their vocal harmony is insane. Glenn Frey and Don Henley meet up to write songs and a week later they have Desperado and Tequila Sunrise? Don't know how you can argue with that. On top of the obvious Hotel California and a million other songs over time.

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  3:24:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Come on, man. It's been a long day and I hate the fucking Eagles."

I like Joe Walsh, I don't like Don Henley.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  5:48:36 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

"Come on, man. It's been a long day and I hate the fucking Eagles."

I like Joe Walsh, I don't like Don Henley.

Any particular reason? He seems to be a bit of a prick, but I've never met him so who am I to say?

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  7:34:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just don't like his voice or his songs.

And I will say that Hotel California is a good song, but I hate it. The best version of that song is the one from "The Big Lebowski" where it's done with flamenco guitarists and the lead singer sings everything except the words "hotel California" in Spanish. I could go the rest of my life without hearing that song and be happy.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2004 :  12:28:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I agree with that...There's two songs that I will never, ever learn to play...this is just basic principles...Stairway to Heaven and Hotel California...Both of those...it's like playing Heart and Soul on the piano.

"I can play HOTEL CALIFORNIA!!"
"oh. wow."

I love Joe Walsh. He grew up about 10 miles from where I live...My dad was going to see him way before he had the Eagles on his side...But man, he is one weird motherfucker.

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2004 :  12:42:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, he's a strange one alright, more strange than crazy like Ted Nugent. But that weird SOB can rock.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2004 :  05:21:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
For the Joe Walsh doubters in the room, check out The James Gang, songs like Funk #49 or Walk Away. I remember thinking to myself on the '99 TR3 TouR that the electric trio reminded me greatly of the rockin' funk groove found in early James Gang recordings. I may be biased as I am such a fan of slide guitar and Joe Walsh is one of the rock masters of slide without letting it sound to country or blues. Don't get me wrong, he can play it country or blues if he wants but he really makes that guitar TALK with a slide. He really plays ROCK slide guitar. Listen to his "But Seriously Folks" album. A definite desert island pick for me. Amazing musicianship by all involved, especially the drummer.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

LoveToday
Chatterbox

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2004 :  10:09:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just don't like his voice or his songs.

And I will say that Hotel California is a good song, but I hate it. The best version of that song is the one from "The Big Lebowski" where it's done with flamenco guitarists and the lead singer sings everything except the words "hotel California" in Spanish. I could go the rest of my life without hearing that song and be happy.

They Gypsy Kings!
They are smokin'
I have Electra records anniversary CD called Rubiyat. They are on there doing that cover and it rocks. A lot of artists are on there doing strange cover tunes. Tracy Chapman doing House of the rising sun. Faster Pussycat doing Your so vain, Metallica doing Stone Cold Crazy, its a great CD.

Go to Top of Page

LoveToday
Chatterbox

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2004 :  10:11:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also on Rubiyat is a guy named Danny Gatton. He does an instrumental of a tune called Apricot Brandy. I was VERY impressed. I have never heard of him before. Does anyone know of any of his other (perhaps original) stuff?

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2004 :  3:33:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David Rhodes is great. Listen to Digging in the Dirt off of Secret World Live.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2004 :  3:48:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lyle Lovett is a really amazing guitarist and songwriter. Check out Live in Texas.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

halloween21
Is Anybody Here?

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2004 :  4:36:49 PM  Show Profile  Send halloween21 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Id have to save Dave matthews, keller williams, SRV, Aldimeola....thats good enough....there are others that are amazing like malmsteen but not influential in my playing....btw who is this LEO KOTTKE?

" Music is math without the formulas.. " - Tim Reynolds
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2004 :  4:53:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Buy a Kottke album and find out.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

gotta_jibboo
Is Anybody Here?

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2004 :  06:47:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LoveToday

Also on Rubiyat is a guy named Danny Gatton. He does an instrumental of a tune called Apricot Brandy. I was VERY impressed. I have never heard of him before. Does anyone know of any of his other (perhaps original) stuff?

Yeah, he's pretty damn sweet that Gatton. He's often hailed as the greatest unknown guitarist and from what I've heard of him it's pretty much correct. Sorry though, I can't recommend anything of his as much of albums are very hard to find.

Anyway, all I've got to contribute to this discussion is:

KAKI KING!
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2004 :  12:55:37 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
a guy named Danny Gatton. He does an instrumental of a tune called Apricot Brandy. I was VERY impressed. I have never heard of him before. Does anyone know of any of his other (perhaps original) stuff?

Check out www.allmusic.com for more info on him...

here is his biography: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:1gjieat04xa7~T1

and here is his discography, although only 3 cds look to still be in print: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=CADMR0408281256&sql=11:m95j8q9tbtc4~T2

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2004 :  8:23:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Jibboo---Australia? Have you heard Jeff Lang yet?

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

LoveToday
Chatterbox

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2004 :  09:07:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
a guy named Danny Gatton. He does an instrumental of a tune called Apricot Brandy. I was VERY impressed. I have never heard of him before. Does anyone know of any of his other (perhaps original) stuff?

Check out www.allmusic.com for more info on him...

here is his biography: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:1gjieat04xa7~T1

and here is his discography, although only 3 cds look to still be in print: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=CADMR0408281256&sql=11:m95j8q9tbtc4~T2

Thanks.. the clips there are great teases. His tone is like BUDDDDAH. I will at least go find the live CD, it sounded interesting, not to mention it seems to have been recorded in my state of Taxxachusetts. Thanks again.

Go to Top of Page

gotta_jibboo
Is Anybody Here?

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2004 :  07:08:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jay

Jibboo---Australia? Have you heard Jeff Lang yet?

Not yet, but I have commited myself to exploring all of the great guitarists on this thread. I'm particularly interested in Hedges, Whitley, McLaughlin, Reinhardt, Martin Taylor and Kottke, but I'll certainly look into Jeff Lang. Although it may sound highly unpatriotic, I struggle to find great Aussie guitarists. There is of course the great Tommy Emmanuel who is just absolutely crazy and I also higly recommend John Butler's live stuff which is fairly good, but maybe this Jeff Lang (and another fingerstyle guitarist named Nick Charles who I always forget about) might enlighten my search a little.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the great recommendations - it's graetly appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2004 :  12:29:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pete Townshend too. Awesome guitarist/song writer.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  05:47:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
On the past CO run of shows both TR and myself brought Joe Walsh CD's to play on the drives. Turns out my 2CD Joe Walsh Anthology was a much better choice than TR's measley single disc collection. TR was blown away by the playing on that and commented how he had forgotten how Joe Walsh's use of the echoplex was so far ahead of everyone elses at the TIMe. TR called it inspiring. When I saw him in NC this past weekend he told me he was still trying to find that double disc Joe Walsh Anthology. I came across this thread by accident searching for Kaki King mentions for pcbTIM and thought the Joe Walsh thing was worth a mention.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  07:28:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fluffy, is this the one TIM is looking for? Look What I Did: The Joe Walsh Anthology? He can get it on Amazon.

quote:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000002OVY/qid=1103632006/sr=2-3/ref=pd_ka_b_2_3/102-1426863-5308938#product-details

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  09:58:32 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
did i see someone mention neil young and justify it with cortez the killer? yeah, well the sun will shine on a dog's ass every now and then.

that's like justifying hitler for his contributions to the medical community via the experiments on the jews in the camps.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2004 :  4:11:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That would be the one PJK, THANX for the link, I will forward it to TR. I am pretty sure he was at the point of saying he would have to buy it online anyway since he had exhausted all the resources in his area.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2004 :  5:08:13 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
you know who else is good is chris arp. maybe a little too shreddy for my taste, but somethetimes he'll bust out a jazz type chord solo or something. he's the guitarist for the band psyopus. they're some kind of grindcore thrash metal thing. i fucking cringe every time i hear them they're that brutal. the song "death, i. . ." has a neat little jazz intro.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2004 :  7:24:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Some others I quite enjoy. When you have a few minutes check them out. Most, if not all, have links to music you can listen to:

Chris Whitley
http://chriswhitley.com/newSite/main.html
http://www.chriswhitley.net/

Marcus Eaton
http://marcuseaton.com/default.asp

Scott Huckabay
http://www.scotthuckabay.com

Joey Eppard "Been to the Future"
http://www.itsaboutmusic.com/3.html
Here you can listen to 30 secs of each track:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00007BHFP/qid%3D1103760030/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/002-9317532-1388065

Gooding
http://www.goodingband.com/newsite/home.php

Jeff Aug "Before the After"
http://www.guitar9.com/beforethenafter.html
http://www.jeffaug.com/

and because I know we have at least a few Bass players here:

BASS: Andrew Brodus Dramatic Noise
http://www.geocities.com/dramatic_noise/
from Andrew's website:
quote:
Dramatic Noise is dedicated to perpetuating the end of fluffy....

What up wit dat? LOL

ENJOY!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Jiyra
Chatterbox

124 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2004 :  8:20:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Jiyra an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Raul Midon is someone to listen to, he does this funny strange palm mute-slap thing, also I really enjoy Carlos Vamos, he's from Spain, he does alot of busking across Europe, he even cut a record with Justin King recently, Carlos does some amazing tapstyle classical type music, but one of my favorites of all time has got to be Joe Pass, didn't he do an album with Ella Fitzgerald? or are there still some chemicals left bubbling in my brain? There's also an amazing kid I saw and heard at the Millenium Stage in D.C. by the name of David Jacobs-Strain ,who happens to only be a year older than myself, does some really amazing blues for any age!

silly girl, sanity is for boys
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2004 :  12:22:01 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
joe pass. outstanding.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2004 :  4:17:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
did i see someone mention neil young and justify it with cortez the killer? yeah, well the sun will shine on a dog's ass every now and then.

Dan, you regularly make me laugh. I'm gonna use that one, if ya don't mind.

But seriously, listen to the live album Weld sometime...I thought NY sucked the big one until I heard him rip it up...I think he's terribly under rated.

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2004 :  11:46:55 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
go ahead and use it.

i haven't heard that particular cd. but i have heard enough of his other work to feel that no matter how good it is, it doesn't make up for all the crap he's done.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2004 :  1:38:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dan p.

joe pass. outstanding.

I know I've said some stuff about the guy, but seriously if any of you have not heard virtuoso #2 go listen to it now. It's just beyond belief the way this guy plays solo jazz guitar. He's like Art Tatum, but he's on guitar.

I also have to mention mike stern now. I've always thought he was great, but I've been listening to this show with him and victor wooten in his quartet and I've been pretty blown away by it.

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2004 :  02:29:25 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone else listen to African music? Specifically South African stuff? I love this stuff, and some of the guitar work is great. I'm not sure the specific guitarists, but there is great Guitar in bands and artists like King Sunny Ade, Johnny Clegg, Orchestra Baobob, Fela Kuti, and even Paul Simon's African years. I'll research this more and post some of the specific guitarists.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2004 :  03:02:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
King Sunny Ade and Fela Kuti are 2 of my faves. I got to see Fela perform 3 TIMes before he died. They were all amazing. Alot of his wives were his dancers and family were band members. I have since since his son, Femi Kuti perform who follows directly in Fela's footsteps. Hopefully, not to a AIDS related death. What a tragedy.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  10:31:38 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Does anyone else listen to African music? Specifically South African stuff? I love this stuff, and some of the guitar work is great. I'm not sure the specific guitarists, but there is great Guitar in bands and artists like King Sunny Ade, Johnny Clegg, Orchestra Baobob, Fela Kuti, and even Paul Simon's African years. I'll research this more and post some of the specific guitarists.

OK, so here are a few African guitarists that have worked with some of my favorite artists:

Vincent Nguini, Chikapa Phiri (Paul Simon)
Bob Ohiri, Segun Hori, & John Okeumeu (King Sunny Ade)
Barthelemy Attisso, Papa Ba, & Adama Sarr (Orchestra Baobab)

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  10:52:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've been starting to listen to african music, but really I've only gotten into Oumou who is a singer from Mali I believe. It's not guitar work though. I'll check out some of those guys though for sure that you fluffy mentioned. It's always mind blowing to see how another culture percieves the role of insturments differently from our own culture.

Go to Top of Page

centurybrother
Try A Little Harder

54 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  11:59:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit centurybrother's Homepage  Send centurybrother an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Pat Metheny
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2006 :  01:28:16 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Just had to say that Al Di Meola's new cd "Consequnce of Chaos" is simply AMAZING! It's billed as an electric jazz cd, but there are plenty of tasty acoustic flamenco style solos. It's probably one of the best cds I've heard this year.

Also, I just found out I'm going to see him play at the end of the month!!! He's playing at the Coach House, the venue that Tim always visits whilst in Orange County.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

guitarisPIMP
Yak Addict

Niue
587 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2006 :  11:45:37 PM  Show Profile  Send guitarisPIMP an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Vagina McGinestein.

my favorite color is go fuck yourself. :D
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  12:30:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I love Neil Young's rough electric playing (Hey Hey, My My off of the live dvd of Rust Never Sleeps is great). It's not perfect, and is not meant to be perfect, and I like that style. I also like the more of a tube overdrive sound than a solid state sound, which is what he gives as well. What's wrong with the rough side? It sounds much more accessible, and realistic. It also shows they care about doing the music and enjoying it than just trying to make it perfect.

In my mind, that was the difference between Paul and John's solo work. Listen to McCartney and Plastic Ono Band. I mean, McCartney is a good album but I just love the rough Plastic Ono Band sound.

Not communicating can hurt more than any word that can be said -

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  03:20:31 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I love Neil Young's rough electric playing

In that case did you see the new live album they just released from 1970?

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

SpaceMonkey
Chatterbox

315 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  11:30:43 AM  Show Profile  Send SpaceMonkey an AOL message  Reply with Quote
OK, I gotta come to the plate for Neil Young here. He is kind of a galvinizing figure. As far as the music goes, he gets ragged on for his voice, his playing as well as who he plays with. Gee, that sounds familar around these parts...

I will argue to my grave that he is one of the greatest songwriters ever and that there are only a few others who have contributed as much as he has in this regard. The guy writes a song like no-fucking-other. He's touched; totally blessed. When I watch Prarie Wind, some of those songs hit me so hard that my eyes well up. Add to this that he only does what he wants to do, even to the point of absurdity, and you have a recipe for a true artist, or certainly as close as you can get to one in the realm of "rock" or "popular" music. Nine times out of ten the guy will get props from other musicians, and it's been like that since the 60s, man! The guy does not differentiate between genres: "It's all one song" as he claims, so it's no wonder the guy's audience is so huge to this day.

There's an interview where he talks about how other musicians would pick on him for having a band of mediocre musicians like Crazy Horse. Aside from the obvious fact that they submit to his ego in most cases, he says that there is still a FEELING that he gets with them that doesn't ccompare to anything else, and for that reason alone he's played with them for over 30 years! And this from a guy who basically has his own pool of musicians to pick and choose from when he records an album.

I challenge anybody here to listen to Zuma, On the Beach, and Live Rust and tell me that the guy is not a FUCKING phenom...go ahead and download them illegaly (I have Oink invites available...). My favorite song in the world is "Powderfinger" (which I think is even better than Cortez for its' guitar greatness and, I believe, was one of the songs he actually offered to Lynard Skynard) and about three years ago when I realized that I was not going to get sick of this song, no matter how many times I listened to it, I said "fuck this, I'm buying a guitar."

So later today, me and all my open chords and bar chords are goin to get to play around with some of my musician pals--the first time I've ever played with anybody aside from my buddy who gave me lessons for about a year--and play some Neil Young tunes.

If it's truly not yor bag, that's fine. I don't begrudge anybody or their opinion on trivial stuff like favorite musicians. That said, it's funny how trivial stuff like musicians get people like me (us?) off their ass and playing music, let alone ranting about it on some message board.

PS Dean Ween...another one of my favorite "rock" guitarists "Live in Chicago" DVD is awesome
Go to Top of Page

jsemon2
Yak Addict

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  2:26:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit jsemon2's Homepage  Send jsemon2 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
spacemonkey, PLEASE EMAIL ME

john@johnsemon.com

OUT FOR LUNCH
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  03:59:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Since this got mentioned in concert the other nite and then mentioned in the review of the show I thought I should post this info on this thread as she is considered an inspirational guitarist to TR. TR has played with her a number of TIMes in his C-ville daze but he told me sadly he never recorded anything with her. She has now passed on but her influence on TR is not to be discounted.

EMILY REMLER

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Remler

quote:
Emily Remler

Emily Remler's death at age 32 from a heart attack (certainly not helped by her frequent use of heroin) was a shock to the jazz world, and a sad waste. She was just beginning to emerge from the Wes Montgomery influence and develop her own voice. Remler began playing guitar when she was ten, attended Berklee (1976-1979), and recorded as a leader for the first time in 1980. She played with the L.A. version of the show Sophisticated Ladies (1981-1982) and in 1985 had a duo with Larry Coryell, but otherwise mostly worked as a leader with her own small groups. After recording bop-oriented dates for Concord, she had a contemporary set for Justice, and toured with David Benoit before her sudden death.

- by Scott Yanow
All Music Group

And this:
quote:
POP JAZZ; EMILY REMLER, NEW GUITAR VIRTUOSO, AT BLUE NOTE

By JOHN S. WILSON
Published: April 16, 1982
EIGHT years ago Emily Remler was picking out rock tunes on a single string of a guitar. She had never heard any jazz, she couldn'tread a note of music and had no particular interest in being a musician. Today she is being hailed as one of the major jazz stars of the 1980's, a guitarist of unusual authority and individuality.

Established jazz guitarists are among her strongest supporters. Jim Hall considers her ''just incredible.'' Charlie Byrd is taken by the ''great authority'' with which she plays the kind of music that he likes. And Herb Ellis, who first brought her to wide attention, calls her ''the new superstar of the guitar.''

The object of this acclaim will be appearing at the Blue Note, 131 West Third Street, tonight through Sunday, leading a trio with Eddie Gomez on bass and Bob Moses on drums.

The dark-haired Miss Remler sits on the edge of a stool, her eyes tightly shut as she picks out notes on her guitar. Initially, she seems rather unprepossessing. But as her guitar lines take shape, as she moves smoothly and effortlessly through some rapid, clipped bebop figures or strums the dark, rich octave chords that she has adapted from Wes Montgomery's playing and simultaneously fills out a background for these lines, the 24-year-old Miss Remler takes on a dominating presence. A sense of command emanates from her even though her eyes remain closed throughout her performance. ''I go into a trance, she said the other day, explaining what might seem to be an action that cuts her off from her listeners. ''It helps my concentration.'' With Her Eyes Tightly Shut

It also causes her to miss things. When she played at the Concord Jazz Festival in California for the first time five years ago, sharing the stage with such celebrated jazz guitarists as Barney Kessel, Tal Farlow, Mr. Byrd and Mr. Ellis - she says she ''thinks'' she got a standing ovation. But she doesn't know: her eyes were closed.

Hearing the skill and aplomb with which she now plays be-bop lines at the Blue Note, it is difficult to realize that Miss Remler had never played be-bop until six years ago. She started strumming a guitar, playing and singing folk music, when she was a child in Englewood Cliffs, N.J. From folk music and an acoustic guitar, she graduated to rock and her brother's electric guitar.

At 15, she met a music teacher from India in a summer camp. ''I learned weird time signatures from him,'' she said. ''I still remember the syllables we sang. We were singing quarter tones and I could sing along with Ravi Shankar records. It helped my ear.''

She finished high school at 16, but with low marks ''I was a hippie,'' she explained. She had trouble finding a college that would accept her, finally entering Berklee College of Music in Boston not because she was particularly interested in music, she says, but because the school accepted her. ''It's easy to get into Berklee,'' she said, ''but staying in is hard.'' Jazz Turns Her Around

She became aware of jazz for the first time at the school. ''It turned me around,'' she said. ''Initially, all I heard was a bunch of notes, so I know what it's like when people hear jazz for the first time. But then I heard Charlie Christian, the guitarist with Benny Goodman, and Paul Desmond, the alto saxophonist with Dave Brubeck. With Desmond, I could hear the melody and relate to it. Desmond got me into jazz, but when I heard Wes Montgomery and Pat Metheny, I knew I would be a guitarist.''

She heard Miles Davis and John Coltrane, too. But she didn't like them. ''They scared me,'' she said, although she is now trying to incorporate Coltrane's ideas in her playing.

For her first six months at Berklee, Miss Remler was too shy to play for her guitar teacher. But when she found the right motivation - a boyfriend who was an excellent guitarist - she moved ahead with determination. After two years at Berklee, she rented a room on Long Beach Island, N.J., for the summer and practiced eight hours a day for two months. Then she moved to New Orleans where her friend lived.

There she played at parties and weddings. She played jazz gigs that her boyfriend could not get to. They formed a group to play on radio and television, a quartet made up of two guitars, bass and drums called ''Four Play.'' She played in a rhythm and blues group called Little Queenie and the Percolators. She joined the late Dick Stabile's house band at the Fairmount Hotel where she played behind such performers as Nancy Wilson, Joel Gray, Robert Goulet and Ben Vereen, a job that forced her to become a good reader. A Promise From Herb Ellis

When Herb Ellis came to New Orleans to play at Le Club, Miss Remler asked him to repair her Herb Ellis model guitar. He told her to bring it to his hotel. They played together for four hours and Mr. Ellis was amazed at what he heard.

''I'm going to make you a star,'' he told her. And he meant it. Three weeks later she was invited to play at the Concord Jazz Festival with Messrs Ellis, Byrd, Farlow and Kessel and the other members of ''The Great Guitars.''

She returned to New Orleans with her head in the clouds and an incentive to do even better. She learned how to perform - ''how to get up there and do it.''

Two years ago she broke up with her New Orleans boyfriend. ''When we met, I was a terrible guitar player,'' she explained. ''But as soon as I started getting good, we began scratching each other.'' Building Reputation in New York

She moved to New York and, sitting in at jam sessions, began to build a reputation among New York musicians. She accompanied Nancy Wilson at Carnegie Hall. She backed Astrud Gilberto at Marty's. She had her first gig as a leader at Palsson's. John Clayton, a bassist who had been with Count Basie's orchestra, heard her and asked her to play on an album for Concord Jazz Records, run by Carl Jefferson, who is also the head of the Concord festival. This led to an album of her own, ''Firefly,'' released a couple of months ago. Last year she played at the Concord festival again, at the Kool-Newport Festival in New York and at the Berlin Festival. And she keeps learning.

She is now absorbing the music of McCoy Tyner (''It's dark, it gets me right in the gut''), and of Bill Evans (''Cerebral, beautiful, passionate''). And she's getting up her courage to do something she has wanted to do since her folk music days - sing.

Miss Remler and her trio will play at the Blue Note (475-8592) tonight through Sunday at 10 P.M., midnight and 2 A.M. There is a $6 cover charge and two-drink minimum at tables; $3 cover and one drink minimum at the bar.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  11:00:46 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I just checked at work, and she appears to have 3 cds in print on Universal:

East to West, FireFly, and Retrospective.

I ordered the retrospective, thanks for the info on this. Always glad to listen to something new, especially an inspirational guitarist for Tim.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  2:20:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Kevin, I just saw your thread about Pat Metheny's 42 string guitar and I thought I had written a review of the last PM concert I saw at Lisner Auditorium in DC. He played it at that show and when he pulled it out my jaw hit the ground. I thought it was a joke. I tried to get the guy I was with to snap a picture of it because I didn't think anyone would believe me about it. Since we were in the front row it wasn't an ez sneak so we didn't get a good picture. I thought I had posted a review of that show on the board mentioning the bizarre guitar but I couldn't find it. While looking I came across this thread and noticed your mention of the then new Neil Young live CD and just wanted to mention I just bought #3 in that series, Neil Young SOLO Live from '71. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! You gotta check it out. What an amazing recording for 1971. The audience is a little loud in the recording at TIMes but that is how they recorded Live in those days. They were LIVE recordings afterall so people thought you should know it. LOL I brought it along on this run to play for TR, I think he is really going to LOVE it.

I also noticed as I scanned this thread looking for the review your mention of Danny Gatton. Can't believe I didn't notice this before. Danny was from DC and I saw him MANY TIMes at the old 9:30 Club. He was absolutely amazing. He even did at least one jazz album. He also invented something attached to his guitar called the "Magic Dingus Box". Check it out:

http://www.dannygatton.com/guitars.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Gatton

Danny was talked about at least once before in the following thread. Seems alot of folks who chimed in then are no longer with us. Still and interesting read:

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1568

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Robin
Yak Addict

USA
598 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  6:09:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That Neil Young Solo '71 kicks ass!! It's true the audience is louder than "live" recordings of today, where they're all kind of cleaned up. Neil actually preferred that sound, and was the last musician around the Bay Area to utilize a recording studio that was exclusive recording to those big tape reels ( I am at a loss to the correct term) and released to vinyl. It closed like two years ago. Anyway, I'm rambling. I think someone mentioned the 1970 Fillmore show with Crazy Horse, also a must have. Peace, Robin
Go to Top of Page

michaelgarfield
Is Anybody Here?

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  1:58:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit michaelgarfield's Homepage  Send michaelgarfield an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If you go to my blog tab on michaelgarfield.zaadz.com, I have assembled there a video list of some of the guitarists I've found most inspirational - that is, I have posted videos of each of them. They include:

Dominic Frasca
Andreas Kapsalis
Adam Fulara
Kaki King
Bob Kilgore
Justin King
Randy Collins

And I update it from time to time.

much love
Michael

"There's no time for hatred - only questions..." - Jeff Buckley

myspace.com/michaelgarfield
(bio, audio, video, calendar, essays)
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  4:49:59 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Agreed that the new Neil Young live release is very good. Better than the last one for sure. I'll have to check out Mr. Gatton.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Infant Eyes
Try A Little Harder

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  5:51:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a guy down in portland, John Stowell. Check him out. Interesting playing.

Then Scofield is a fav of mine.

Also Ben Monder. He plays well.
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  7:04:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yah that Fulara guy Michael mentioned is one hell of a guitarist.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  12:48:12 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
herman li!

neo-metal, motherfucker.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  2:11:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This link was forwarded to me by Mike Sokolowski. Check out the solo's, one at the beginning and another at toward the end. WOW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0KOzrMUt10

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  3:14:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Speaking of killer shredding guitar players...Daniel Johnston is playing Brooklyn next Tuesday...who wants to come?

I was kidding about the guitar comment obviously...
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  01:09:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The sweat that guys has on his head, it's the cries of his skin for not being those fingers.

Not communicating can hurt more than any word that can be said -

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000