Who is better than Tim?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Offspring
Try A Little Harder

65 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  01:23:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't know if this has been posted so if it has sorry.

People are bashing Tim. Come and defend his and show people the light.

"Dude, Tim is way over rated... He is a great backup for Dave's songs, but I have yet to hear any of his originals that don't sound like mindless fast picking and emotionless trash.

If Dave never made it big, no one would know who 'Tim Reynolds' was."

http://antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21921&page=1&pp=30

My band
|
|
v
www.myspace.com/soundcurfew

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  08:10:23 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's the same thing uninformed people always say. Uninformed/unwilling to be informed. No amount of us saying the truth will help them.

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  10:25:33 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
why bother? they've obviously not heard any amount of tim reynolds' music, otherwise they wouldn't be saying it. and even the fast stuff they have heard is incredible, but since they have no concept of melody, harmony, phrasing, or tone, all they hear is fast. you'd have to get them to actually listen to music, and not just take in an overall sense impression.

i'm not going to bother registering a name just to tell a bunch of ape-fuck jackasses with tin ears for music about the art form. bottom line: they don't care. besides which, if i did, they'd probably gather a small army to leave ridiculous messages here. wouldn't be the first time some people did that. if you want to post this over there, that's fine, but i'd advise against it. and i hate to say it, because it makes me sound pretentious, but it can be summed up simply: if you don't at least recongnize tim reynold's ability to craft superb songs, and his skill as a guitarist and musician, then chances are you don't really like music.

as for who's better. once you get to this level of musicianship, it's hard to say, because people have strengths and weaknesses and necessarily make them uncomparable, and a lot of it becomes subjective. for instance, i can think of two or three guitarists who play faster and cleaner than tim reynolds, but their sense of melody, though good, is not as good as his. and compare michael hedges' harmonies to tim reynolds. who wins there? i honestly can't decide. i think that michael hedges' music is prettier most of the time, but i know tr can write like that, too, so who's to say. but sometimes it isn't objective. like, who's better: kurt cobain or tim reynolds? obviously tim reynolds, because anyone here can play and write better music by slapping our cocks against the fretboard.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Robin
Yak Addict

USA
598 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  11:39:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh please, you either get it or you don't, it's people's loss if they don't in my opinion. But hey, whatever makes you happy and moves you. I'd no more waste my TIMe convincing someone who hates black licorice to like it. I'll just keep on smilin' and listening to the music, cuz like the rest of you here, I know he's the real deal. Peace, Robin
Go to Top of Page

OnlySuperstition
Chatterbox

150 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  11:54:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have successfully converted a few old guitar heads at my work. They have come back asking for more. The people who cant appreciate Tim generally dont understand, and like previously said its not worth the TIMe t o bother explaining it to them.

We all know he dominates and that is all that matters. THis is not to say that there arent others who dominate. TIM jsu has an amazing unique style.

Slaughter, a word to live by....
Go to Top of Page

fatred
Is Anybody Here?

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  03:35:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This guy obviously does not play guitar. If he did this posting would not be here.

Fatred
Go to Top of Page

sciphish
Chatterbox

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  7:01:38 PM  Show Profile  Send sciphish an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I know what im gonna say has already been said, but just for the sake, Tim is definately better then most of the crap the people posted on that post. The few that may stand a chance are Clapton (just for the ability to play blues with suck great melody). Hendrix, just because there has not been anyone able to duplicate the minute sounds that he created. And to be honest that in my opinion is what makes a great guitarist, the ability speak through the guitar in a different wavelength. Tim's great and some day i'll meet him, but till then the best guitarist is the one that can hookup to whatever impulses that make us human. Sorry to get philosophical but i think thats really the only way to catogorize a guitarist, without being biased.

Well maybe im a little biased, I mean im listening to HH right now.

I'm almost there...
Go to Top of Page

BenPezzner
Try A Little Harder

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2006 :  02:32:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit BenPezzner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dan p.

why bother? they've obviously not heard any amount of tim reynolds' music, otherwise they wouldn't be saying it. and even the fast stuff they have heard is incredible, but since they have no concept of melody, harmony, phrasing, or tone, all they hear is fast. you'd have to get them to actually listen to music, and not just take in an overall sense impression.

i'm not going to bother registering a name just to tell a bunch of ape-fuck jackasses with tin ears for music about the art form. bottom line: they don't care. besides which, if i did, they'd probably gather a small army to leave ridiculous messages here. wouldn't be the first time some people did that. if you want to post this over there, that's fine, but i'd advise against it. and i hate to say it, because it makes me sound pretentious, but it can be summed up simply: if you don't at least recongnize tim reynold's ability to craft superb songs, and his skill as a guitarist and musician, then chances are you don't really like music.

as for who's better. once you get to this level of musicianship, it's hard to say, because people have strengths and weaknesses and necessarily make them uncomparable, and a lot of it becomes subjective. for instance, i can think of two or three guitarists who play faster and cleaner than tim reynolds, but their sense of melody, though good, is not as good as his. and compare michael hedges' harmonies to tim reynolds. who wins there? i honestly can't decide. i think that michael hedges' music is prettier most of the time, but i know tr can write like that, too, so who's to say. but sometimes it isn't objective. like, who's better: kurt cobain or tim reynolds? obviously tim reynolds, because anyone here can play and write better music by slapping our cocks against the fretboard.

Sorry to top an old thread like this, but wow... what a GREAT reply. I agree with everything you said 100%... incredible.

Ben

www.pezshow.com
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2006 :  02:39:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes, a splendid Cobain bash there, as well. Bully.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

JoeGamo05
Chatterbox

USA
279 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2006 :  12:30:39 PM  Show Profile  Send JoeGamo05 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i think it's became a pretty well known fact around the boards that I am better than Mr. Reynolds....

someone always has to be better than another in music... brings me down sometimes. Coltrane is better than tim though.

When the trees start walking, the ground starts moving, your insane, your insane
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2006 :  4:41:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah Coltrane is better than Tim, and my stuff is better than your stuff.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000