Show Reviews
 04/22/06 The Mint Los Angeles, CA
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2006 :  2:41:38 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote

Setlist looks pretty accurate, with the exception of one big surprise: Instead of "Time Has Told Me" (The 5th song) Tim said that he would like to play a quiet little song about tear gas, and then treated the Mint to the first ever (not so quiet)acoustic version of Put The Gas Mask On! I don't think Fluorescence was played, nor was Levee, but others might have been added, as it was a 2 hour set. There was one new song in particular that Arthen and I both didn't recognize. Tim prefaced it by saying, "Since this is such an intimate setting, here is an intimate song" and it was a very quiet, subtle song, played beautifully, maybe Axiom? Not sure, but it was Awesome. Once again, Marcus came out for the encore, and they did two songs together, first You Are My Sanity, then Rheginos ---> Norwegian Wood ---> Rheginos. As we've all noted so far, Tim was grinning ear to ear during these encores, and they were really enjoying playing with and off of each other.

Speaking of Marcus, what a great guy! In both San Diego and San Juan he won over the crowds, but in LA he flat out stole the show! Standing Ovation at the end of his opening set. Marcus has a very bright future ahead of him, and on top of it all he is very nice, and has an equally nice crew with him (Ian, Kevin) nice meeting you guys too. Picked up his new cd last night after the show, can't wait to see how his sound carries over into the studio.

The venue was pretty cool, it was sold out, I'd say maybe 200 people or so. Very L.A. crowd. Everyone was dressed up, very attractive people everywhere, and celebrities! that's right. Radio's Mark & Brian were there to see Marcus, as he was on their show the morning before. Tiffany spotted the guy from Entourage, but fucking coolest of all was before the show, Tiffany and I were getting some $8 drinks at the bar, and she all of sudden said oh my god, and whispers into my ear that I'm standing next to Michael Keaton. Now usually one someone thinks they see someone famous, you turn around, and say, "that looks nothing like so&so" but there was no question, we were standing next to FUCKING BATMAN!!! He is way short. Batman is pretty much my favorite movie ever, so there was no way I was about to talk to him, but while I was talking to Fluffy, Tiffany struck up a conversation with him, and he said he was there to see the opening act, but was going to try to stay for Tim, because he was a fan.

Finally, it was great to meet Arthen at the show. Thanks for the live Genesis discs, listening to it right now as I type... you are right... better than the studio album!!!

Here are a few pics. I didn't take that many this tour. Rough lighting, and I wanted to enjoy the shows, and leave the picture taking to the pro (Fluffy). http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/astralpuke/Tim%20Reynolds%20Mint/

god
Kevin

Robin
Yak Addict

USA
598 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2006 :  3:13:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the review! Sounds like the tour is going very well with some sold out shows. I can hardly sit still for the exitment that TR and crew will be here day after tomorrow!!!! I'm looking forward to seeing Marcus again too. So who's coming to Santa Cruz...anyone? Peace, Robin
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2006 :  9:13:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kev covered most of better than I could! Let me add a little bit: TR was in a crazy mood last night! He was cracking more jokes than I had ever seen before, shaking and hopping around to the effects, "silent screaming" it was outrageous and awesome. It felt very "acoustic metal" last night.

I was struck just because during the main set, Tim only played three or four songs available on any studio album. He's really jamming the live/cover material. Maybe the Live Genesis stuff I gave him will inspire him for next Sunday!

Highlight was definitley the acoustic "Gas Mask." He got that down, so maybe "Skeleton Walls" isn't too far behind!

Great to meet you Kev and Tiff, I loved the Lips album especially Free Radicals that song is insane!

Fluffy, TR, Rew, drive safe see you next Sunday.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2006 :  11:34:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Actually Put the Gas Mask on was played acoustically at the 4/29/05 show. But sounds like quite a ripper anyway. DVDs ahoy!

Ben, you would fuck me up in a fight. AHAHA

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

sperls
Is Anybody Here?

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  12:03:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin, it was apleasure to meet you my man! What a great show last night. Tim was on fire the last 4 shows, but last night, was such a cool room for he and Marcus to play in. Beetlejuice (Michael Keaton) was even there for a short spell. The highlight for me last night was Tim screaming, "It smells good in here" just before he started busting out the grinding strum on Stream. AWESOME!
Fluffy, Tim Rew, and Tim Reynolds are thre of the baddest ass guys alive. Thanks for the most kick ass time I've had in a spell.

Cheers,
Ian
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  01:12:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hopeful Rolling Waves

Actually Put the Gas Mask on was played acoustically at the 4/29/05 show. But sounds like quite a ripper anyway. DVDs ahoy!

Ben, you would fuck me up in a fight. AHAHA

Ha ha ha. Don't worry, I tend to be a pacifist, except on certain alcoholic occasions when I wrestle with my roommate and end up almost needing stitches on my knee. I want to eat your soul!!!

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  2:50:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
"Now I have played for 2 Batmans! How many people get to say that?" TR

The Hamb Lies Down on Pico

Implied Substandard Cosmic Constant
Betrayal
Indoctrinate
Hidden Variables
(more up)Time Has Told Me OR (Flourescence)
Che
Illuminated Monkey Heads
d-drone

I was born to Synthesize
Vantage Point OR Axiom
Revolution All Around
Streamba yousba don't ba know ba

Dissolution
Dreaming
Whole Lotta Ham - Wrong Turns
(Flourescence)
If the Ocean Had It's Way
Hold On
Doom
(When the Levee Breaks)

Come To Daddy - All You Need
Kundalini
Expanding Hard On

Where to begin for LA? WOW WOW WOW! Best show and TIMe we have ever had in LA. Thanx to the Mint for taking such good care of us and for making their club feel like we weren't even in LA. So much to talk about for this nite, where to begin. TR did a few interviews after soundcheck tonite and one was with our old friend Suzanne Thompson from the Dennis Kucinich camp. She and some friend made a documentary type film called "From Wharf Rats to Lords of the Docks: The Life & Times of Harry Bridges" and they used TR's "Put the Gas Mask On" in the soundtrack. They interviewed TR tonite about how he sees the relation between revolution and music and loads of other things but I am guessing that this was the inspiration behind the impromptu version of Gas Mask. It was a great interview and they asked questions I have never heard posed to TR. I will see about getting a copy of the recording.

Another surreal moment from the evening was shaking hands and talking to the second richest man in the world. Yep, that's right. I had no idea. LOL While we were loading in there was this fancy Mercedes sitting next to us with these too gentlemen chatting. Everyone on our crews kept asking me if I knew what was up with the roof of his car. There was this addition to the top of it with this big black circle. It was pretty bizarre. I kept telling everyone to ask Tim (c)Rew as he knows everything. When he didn't know what it was I posed the question "Has anyone thought to ask the guy standing next to the car? I bet he knows. DUH!" Noone seemed to want to approach the stranger who's back was too us so I just charged over and said "Excuse me, what's up with the roof of the car?" As he turned around Ian's, who is from Portland, jaw hit the ground. Apparently I was shaking and interrupting Paul Allen. Like me, you may be saying "WHO?". Ian informed me later that Paul Allen owns, among other things, the Portland Trailblazes(I think he said)ohhh and he just happens to be Bill Gates right hand man. So SECOND richest man in the world and I am barging into his conversations in an alley in LA. Quite surreal. LOL He was quite friendly and let us all have a look in the car. It turned out to be a satellite dish built into the room. Freaky!

Later Batman shows up, Crazy surreal nite!

Also, on a personal note, upon my arrival I discovered the club was run by an old friend of mine Dena who worked at Club Lingerie in LA when I was there with Chris Whitley. She is a huge CW fan so it was great to see her. Also I was surprised to find out that my friend La-Ni was visiting LA and she surprised me and came to the show with her mom who I have long wanted to meet. She is a friend from SF who I also met thru CW. La-Ni mom hung out alot with my idol HST at Woody Creek and has alot of great stories to tell. She claims she was the inspiration for the title of HST's book "Better Than Sex". Apparently she would always use that expression around him and he really liked it. Then one day he pulled her aside and asked her if she had that copyrighted. She said NO it's just something she says and next thing she knows it's the title of his book. LOL Very KEWL! I believe her.

It was great seeing so may folks. It felt like half the room was friends. Arthen, Kevin, Tiff...Ian and Kevin...Ian, Cathy and Suzanne...Dena, La-Ni, Freddy, Rew, Glenn, Marcus, and TR What a great nite, whudda thunk it in LA.

So the crowd was quiet but high energy. There was feel to the room that palpable. It was ELECTRIC although it was ACOUSTIC. Not sure if anyone else noticed but Marcus snuck in tiny taste of Stream during his part of the solo during the encore. It was sweet, you will hear it on the recording. LOL All in all a great great great nite, albiet surreal at TIMes, talking to Tiff with Batman evestropping doesn't happen every day. LOL

This show was recorded by us and also captured on video by Kevin.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  3:54:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Forgot to mention, alot of TR's great mood this nite was due to a message we recieved about his daughters performance in Santa Fe. TR mentions this at the beginning of the set in LA. She had a great show as apparently channelling Mae West for her performance. It went over great and she is becoming quite the actress. TR was so happy about that message before he went on. So they both had great "gigs" that nite! I also really liked TR's "love" ending to the set. He made jokes about Come To Daddy being a LOVE song and then followed it with All You Need is Love "another" kinda love song. LOL Whatta goof ball.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  4:21:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a funny coincidence that on the night TR titles the set "The Hamb Lies Down on Pico" I give both he and Kev a live copy of "The Lamb"! As you say Fluff, SYNCHRONICITY!

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  4:36:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ain't it the truth!! It shocked both of us when I gave it to TR. I had not seen the setlist yet at that point so I didn't know. Freaky, small, sychronistic, surreal world!

Is that the Live recording of Lamb from the Archives box?

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  4:48:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fluffy

Ain't it the truth!! It shocked both of us when I gave it to TR. I had not seen the setlist yet at that point so I didn't know. Freaky, small, sychronistic, surreal world!

Is that the Live recording of Lamb from the Archives box?

Yep! If you guys want the other two discs, the third being a jumble of live material like "Firth of Fifth" (sans piano intro), "Dancing With the..." "I Know What I Like", and it includes a radio edit of "Watcher of the Skies" and the B-sides "Twilight Alehouse" and "Happy the Man". The fourth disc is all 1969-1970 material(pre Hackett/Colins) a lot of demos a lot of early, early songs still trying to be folky-pop. I don't listen to it that much.

I still need to get a copy of the Live "Lamb" to HRW. Hey, Jared send me an email with your address, I lost that last envelope, and I'll mail you a copy.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

perrinbar
Is Anybody Here?

15 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  6:54:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of recordings, and yes I'm being a bit uncouth with my early questions but, any idea where those recordings will be downloadable whenever they are put up. No rush, I just don't want to miss out on that show, it was spectacular, especially the ending with Marcus.

Peace,

Devon

Tim Whonolds?
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  7:35:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most likely than not, it'll end up on archive.org. They generally all do.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

blu666z
Is Anybody Here?

21 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  7:37:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As the guys still have my DAT deck on the road with them, I am gonna borrow another deck from a friend so I can start working on converting these shows. They should start trickling out by the end of the week.

-Kevin
Go to Top of Page

perrinbar
Is Anybody Here?

15 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  8:06:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well thats all I needed to know, thanks guys for doing us all a service.

Peace,

Devon

Tim Whonolds?
Go to Top of Page

Lee
Is Anybody Here?

1 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  8:57:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fluffy,

Awesome Mint show - that was only my 3rd time seeing a TR solo show, and by far the best.

-Lee
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2006 :  3:26:13 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Wow, that's crazy about Paul Allen. He also built the Experience Music Project in Seattle and owns all of the Jimi Hendrix memorabilia inside. He basically built the museum as a way of displaying all of the collectables he owns.

quote:
Also, on a personal note, upon my arrival I discovered the club was run by an old friend of mine Dena who worked at Club Lingerie in LA when I was there with Chris Whitley. She is a huge CW fan so it was great to see her.

Well that answers a question I had... towards the end of the set, I heard a girl yell out for Tim to play Big Sky Country, and I thought, wow... a female TR fan, who is also a CW fan? I thought maybe Robin had made it down to the show.

quote:
Forgot to mention, alot of TR's great mood this nite was due to a message we recieved about his daughters performance in Santa Fe. TR mentions this at the beginning of the set in LA. She had a great show as apparently channelling Mae West for her performance. It went over great and she is becoming quite the actress. TR was so happy about that message before he went on.

This was really funny. As Tim took the stage, there was a guy in the back who yelled out that Tim was his hero. Another guy then yelled out, "Tim, you are a lot of people's hero" to which Tim replied that his little girl was his hero. He also made a really funny crack about how channeling Mae West's spirt is something that runs in the family.

So just out of curiosity, who was the other Batman that TR has played for? I would guess the choices are Val Kilmer, Geogre Clooney, or Adam West.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2006 :  5:13:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Well that answers a question I had... towards the end of the set, I heard a girl yell out for Tim to play Big Sky Country, and I thought, wow... a female TR fan, who is also a CW fan? I thought maybe Robin had made it down to the show.
Actually, it was La-Ni from SF who made it down from the show who yelled that out.
quote:
So just out of curiosity, who was the other Batman that TR has played for? I would guess the choices are Val Kilmer, Geogre Clooney, or Adam West.
Val Kilmer @ The Paramount in Santa Fe, NM. Apparently, he lives in the area. It was one of TR's Bar B performances. TR said he was really nice and a very kewl guy.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  5:05:44 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Tim Reynolds – Solo Acoustic
The Mint – Los Angeles, CA

0:00:00- Spoken Intro
0:00:54- Implied Substandard Cosmic Constant (*)
0:02:57- Betrayal
0:06:57- Indoctrinate
0:11:01- Hidden Variables
0:15:42- Put the Gas Mask On
0:20:40- Che
0:25:01- Illuminated Monkey Heads --> D Drone (*)

0:26:50- Born to Synthesize (1)
0:32:03- Vantage Point
0:35:44- Revolution All Around
0:41:55- Stream
0:45:45- You Don’t Know

0:50:00- Dissolution
0:53:46- Dreaming
0:59:01- Whole Lotta Love (2)
1:03:59- Skull & Bones
1:06:39- If the Ocean Had Its Way
1:09:46- Hold On, I’m Comin’ (3)
1:13:52- Doom
1:17:52- Come To Daddy (4)
1:22:04- All You Need Is Love (5)
1:25:36- Repeat the Question
1:26:35- Kundalini Bonfire
----------
1:33:10- You Are My Sanity (#)
1:39:35- Rheginos and the Resurrection (#)

Breaks in the set indicate a guitar switch: from 6 to 12 string, and back to 6, etc…
* These are improvisational “noise tracks” that Tim names differently on every setlist.
#. With Marcus Eaton
1. Todd Rundgren
2. Led Zeppelin
3. Sam & Dave (Written by Issac Hayes)
4. Aphex Twin
5. Beatles

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  02:20:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Kev, Dissolution was the "Intimate" song right? I can't remember from that long ago, but listening to Dissolution know it reminds me of it.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000