Criterion Collecton sale on Amazon
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2006 :  11:04:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I know we have a bunch of movie buffs on here, so I thought I'd share a discovery I made today. The following DVDs are on sale right now for 45% off:

The Complete Mr. Arkadin (aka Confidential Report) - Criterion Collection

The Third Man (50th Anniversary Edition) - Criterion Collection

Brazil - Criterion Collection

Seven Samurai - Criterion Collection

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Criterion Collection

M - Criterion Collection (Special Edition)

Ugetsu - Criterion Collection

Short Cuts - Criterion Collection

Grey Gardens - Criterion Collection

Young Mr. Lincoln - Criterion Collection

Grand Illusion - Criterion Collection

My Own Private Idaho - Criterion Collection

Do The Right Thing - Criterion Collection

Traffic: Criterion Collection (2000)

Note: BOLD = Recommended by Fluffy

teri
Twittering about the DC adventure since Dec '09...
(Micro)Blog * Photo Album

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2006 :  12:04:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
M is amazing. Peter Lorre is a fricking weird dude.

Thanks for the heads up Teri, the Criterion Collection rocks my world.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2006 :  4:34:02 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Teri, Criterion Collection RULES!! Right now, my DVD collection contains the following Criterion DVDs:

- Royal Tenenbaums
- Life Aquatic
- Rushmore
- The Rock
- Fear & Loathing
- The Testament of Dr. Mabuse

My next purchase will be Harder They Come, and Rebecca (which is out of print) I'm just waiting to find Rebecca at a resonable price. It is always about $80 when I see it used.

I'm renting a ton of them on Netflix, M is in my queue right now along with Contempt, That Obscure Object of Desire, and Brazil. I've recently watched Fat Girl, Battle of Algers, Bad Sleep Well, Young Mr. Lincoln, and Walkabout.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2006 :  5:23:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Walkabout is the Aussie film, yeah?

Well, if you haven't already, check out "Rabbit-Proof Fence" although I think you've already seen it Kev, probably because you are a PG fan. I don't know.

I had heard people calling for a Bottle Rocket Criterion version, don't know if that will happen. Much like the Genesis albums in 5.1, dammit.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

spaceoddity
Try A Little Harder

Belgium
65 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2006 :  7:38:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank You it's nice to have this list,and at the very least be able to rent the ones I have'nt seen.
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  10:22:43 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Well, if you haven't already, check out "Rabbit-Proof Fence" although I think you've already seen it Kev, probably because you are a PG fan. I don't know.

Oh, you bet your sweet ass I have Rabbit-Proof Fence on DVD. Good flick, even without the PG sndtk, but to be honest I'd probably never had watched it other-wise. I did indeed notice the similarities between Rabbit-Proof and Walkabout.

quote:
I had heard people calling for a Bottle Rocket Criterion version, don't know if that will happen. Much like the Genesis albums in 5.1, dammit.

I haven't heard anything about Bottle Rocket, but it would sure make sense since all of his other films are there. As for the Genesis, don't give up hope man, I'm sure not. i doubt they would have spent all of the time, money, and effort into re-mixing, and re-mastering them and then not do anything. The last message on the site says that the mixes are awaiting approval from all parties involved, and bless his heart, I love the guy but Peter is the biggest procrastinator ever. I have serious doubts that I/O will be out this decade.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  12:31:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KevinLesko

I haven't heard anything about Bottle Rocket, but it would sure make sense since all of his other films are there. As for the Genesis, don't give up hope man, I'm sure not. i doubt they would have spent all of the time, money, and effort into re-mixing, and re-mastering them and then not do anything. The last message on the site says that the mixes are awaiting approval from all parties involved, and bless his heart, I love the guy but Peter is the biggest procrastinator ever. I have serious doubts that I/O will be out this decade.

Yeah, I don't know about I/O now. I was hoping it would come out this year, and then a tour next year. Perhaps it's not procrastination, but perfection that PG engages in. I remember reading something about I/O and how he was trying to do a smaller sound, because in the past he'd produce a track so much that it would become overinflated. I'll try to keep up my hope for the remasters and I/O. Don't give up, eh?

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2006 :  9:39:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Bottle Rocket is my fave movie ever, if it doesn't get Criterioned, I will lose it. Grey Gardens! Gotta pick that up. I have the Fear and Loathing, great BBC docu on there!

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  02:35:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Big Trouble in Little China needs to be a part of the Collection!

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

spaceoddity
Try A Little Harder

Belgium
65 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  02:50:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was hoping someone could post a link or briefly explain as to how these movies become part of this collection?I just assumed they were released as part of it.
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  02:52:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The ones that are on sale are just a small sampling of the full Criterion Collection. Others that exist but are still pretty expensive include

The Complete Monterey Pop Festival

The Royal Tenenbaums

The Life Aquatic

Rushmore

teri
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  6:56:12 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Was hoping someone could post a link or briefly explain as to how these movies become part of this collection?I just assumed they were released as part of it.

Unfortunately, not just any movie can become part of the Criterion Collection. They have to be able to aquire the rights to the film, something a lot of film companies aren't often willing to do. But if they do get the rights, then they do everything top of the line. Remaster the audio and video to the finest possible quality, and include and and all possible bonus materials. Essentially you are getting the best possible version of the DVD that you can. Here is what they say about themselves:

quote:
The Criterion Collection, a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films, is dedicated to gathering the greatest films from around the world and publishing them in editions that offer the highest technical quality and award-winning, original supplements. Criterion began with a mission to pull the treasures of world cinema out of the film vaults and put them in the hands of collectors. All of the films published under the Criterion banner represent cinema at its finest. In our seventeen years, we've seen a lot of things change, but one thing has remained constant: our commitment to publishing the defining moments of cinema in the world's best digital editions.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  9:28:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KevinLesko

quote:

Unfortunately, not just any movie can become part of the Criterion Collection. They have to be able to aquire the rights to the film, something a lot of film companies aren't often willing to do. But if they do get the rights, then they do everything top of the line. Remaster the audio and video to the finest possible quality, and include and and all possible bonus materials. Essentially you are getting the best possible version of the DVD that you can.

I would think that the Criterion name would help boost sales, encouraging companies to license the films out. Acting like the "Special Edition" name that so many DVDs get anyways.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

spaceoddity
Try A Little Harder

Belgium
65 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  9:41:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice thanks..
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2006 :  4:13:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/feature/-/837101/ref%3Damb%5Flink%5F1360662%5F1/103-6970761-1155050

Am I missing something, but none of the movies listed on the above page appear to be 45% off or even close to that. Did the sale end? Did I wait to long and miss it?

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2006 :  3:49:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fluffy

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/feature/-/837101/ref%3Damb%5Flink%5F1360662%5F1/103-6970761-1155050

Am I missing something, but none of the movies listed on the above page appear to be 45% off or even close to that. Did the sale end? Did I wait to long and miss it?

Must be over. Sorry. :(

teri
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000