New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Isaac
Chatterbox

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2001 :  12:12:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does Tim take offense to people shouting out requests in between songs? I know his shows are fairly dynamic, and there are obviously songs i wanna hear. He doesn't seem to get too salty at the dinks yelling "play stream" in the clips i've seen, but i don't want to make him feel like a damn juke box or anything.

Isaac

"Father up above, why in all this hatred do ya fill me up with Love, Love Love..."

Reese
Try A Little Harder

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2001 :  12:38:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Reese an AOL message  Reply with Quote
you know, any artist usually like to hear form his crowd. i'd say go for it, but just don't be obnoctius (spell). if it's a real quiet crowd don't sit there and shout out requests throught the set, that would be a pretty bitchy move. i'd say the best way to get something played is to get there early and try and catch tim before he goes on and ask him face to face to play something. that's what i would try and do. otherwise just sit back relax and enjoy the show.

later

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2001 :  3:14:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Tim does not mind requests if you ask before he has made the setlist for a particular evening. He can sometimes work somethings in but he really has a feeling for an evening going once he takes the stage. He has put alot of time and effort into the setlist for each night, which is organized a certain way for reasons only known and understood by Tim. Shouting tends to distract and annoy him. I have seen him in extreme cases avoid a song because people just wont shut up. So I feel shouting does not help your chances of getting a song played. I have seen him divert from the setlist on rare occasions but that is mostly do to him feeling moved somewhere else onstage than by people shouting out songs. My feeling is that if you go to a show, You go to see the performer perform. There might be songs I would want to hear but I would much rather see the performance that is in the heart of the performer than interject my preferences and get a weak unenthusiatic performance of the songs I want to hear. I go to see what the performer has to offer. If I want to hear a particular song I will go home and put it on. If I didn't hear it at the show. I would not want to break the creative flow of a performer like Tim by shouting out song titles. Also Tim really prefers the quieter crowds for the acoustic sets. He considers talking and yelling rude at a show like that. It was that kind of behavior that made Dave hate the acoustic shows on the acoustic tour. He kinda felt like why bother if all the people are just gonna get drunk and talk and shout. Might as well do a rock show. It is kind of like telling a painter he needs more green in his work or telling the painter to put a bigger smile on Mona Lisa. They paint what they feel and Tim plays what he feels. I consider myself lucky to be there watching the master create. I would never condescend to tell him how to do that. Hope this helps folks understand a little better why shouting out songs is kinda rude. Peace and Keep the Faith Fluffy

Go to Top of Page

Isaac
Chatterbox

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2001 :  4:15:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In that case Fluffy if you don't mind/get a chance/remember as the October 29th show in Wisconsin nears tell Tim that a devoted fan and fellow Peter Gabriel fan would very much like to hear his cover of "In Your Eye's" at the Wisconsin show. And I only want to hear it because I can't hear it at home on my CD player because i can't find it anywhere (if anyone wants to help me out on that one it'd be much appreciated).

And rest assured i'll keep my big mouth shut during the show and smack anyone whose talking within reach ;)

Thanks Fluffy!

Isaac

"Father up above, why in all this hatred do ya fill me up with Love, Love Love..."
Go to Top of Page

Erich with an h
Yak Addict

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2001 :  5:02:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Erich with an h's Homepage  Send Erich with an h an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i used to have a great version of In Your Eyes, soundboard from a show that also had my favourite version of Kundalini Bonfire (fucking 11 minutes, *after* the jam...).

Anyway... Ive always wanted to catch tim before a show and ask him why he doesnt play certain songs, such as Smile, Reliable Sources, There Is No Judgement, or Intuition Like A Child. But i also get so nervous and stupid around him.

Erich w/ an h
Erichwanh@yahoo.com
The Tim Reynolds Tour and Recording Database
Go to Top of Page

will
Is Anybody Here?

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2001 :  8:48:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I won't lie, of the four acoustic shows I've seen there's always been a song I wanted to hear that particular night. I think in each case, though, it hasn't mattered by the end of the show whether I've heard it or not. It's always the stuff you're NOT expecting that makes your jaw drop and with Tim there's gonna be some wacky sound that your ears have yet to experience. At the Stanhope House the crazy noises in the middle of After the Dust Settles just floored me. There's just a crescendo of sound that gave me chills and at the time I was just thinking to myself that he could've put the sustain on that one and walked off-stage and let that be the set--I would've sat through it.

Yeah, so the point being that shouting out requests doesn't matter; with Tim the song doesn't really matter...they're almost like presents with the wrapping paper on them. Watching Tim tear into them is the real thrill of the show, the song itself is kinda besides the point. In some way, he's gonna break out of the song anyway and just tune in to another frequency. I think I heard that analogy for some other band at some point, but I think it really applies in Tim's case. The best audiences are always gonna be the ones that give the artist the steering wheel. That's what you pay for anyway, right? That's just my take on it....

"This guitar is called sister. This guitar is called brother. I'm the bus driver and we're comin' home from school."
Go to Top of Page

Isaac
Chatterbox

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2001 :  9:20:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't mean to imply like the only reason I'm going to my show was in hopes of seeing Tim play In Your Eye's, or anything like that. I'm totally open to whatever he feels like playing, just if he feels like playing In Your Eye's its the one TR cover I've never heard that i want to.

Isaac

Go to Top of Page

will
Is Anybody Here?

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2001 :  9:41:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know exactly how you feel...that's definitely one of the songs I'd like to hear too!

"This guitar is called sister. This guitar is called brother. I'm the bus driver and we're comin' home from school."
Go to Top of Page

Erich with an h
Yak Addict

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2001 :  9:55:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Erich with an h's Homepage  Send Erich with an h an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I didn't mean to imply like the only reason I'm going to my show was in hopes of seeing Tim play In Your Eye's, or anything like that. I'm totally open to whatever he feels like playing, just if he feels like playing In Your Eye's its the one TR cover I've never heard that i want to.

oh, yeah, thats understood. Just hoping that youre not going to scream out "SAAANIIIITYYYYYYY!!!!!!" like some asshole did durring 6/17/00 durring the middle of soft tim parts. (by the way, when he finaly played it, the guy screamed for the first part of the song. uh, dipshit, you asked for the song, shut up and listen to it. ugh, i hate fratboys)

Erich w/ an h
Erichwanh@yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2001 :  10:07:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've never seen Tim before in peson... if some yahoo is yelling through the whole show I am going to be PISSED! At least the set isn't until 12:15 so that should weed out some of the people that might otherwise just go to get drunk and hollar the whole time.
-J

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2001 :  01:02:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
God, I couldn't even imagine yelling a song out, but I've been debating it in my mind. I won't now, but I'd hate to find him before the show and sound like an ass requesting a song. like, "excuse me, would you mind, possibly, if you could to please play entity, or feeling doors, if you wanted to, you don't have to, but I'd really appreaciate it."

But I have to remember Tim is a down to Earth guy like anyone else, except he plays the guitar like his hands are on fire.
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2001 :  12:05:29 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
When I saw Tim at the union bar in Iowa City, the crowd there was about the rudest I have ever seen at a concert, any concert, acoustic, electric, doesnt matter, they were THE rudest. Yelling out songs, being totally disrespectful to Tim, and the opener, Peter Prince. Half of them thought Peter Prince WAS Tim, and they were all excited, until he said his name was Peter Prince, then they practically started throwing stuff at him! As far as Tim's set, I thought it was great, but I could kind of tell he was getting pissed. All the drunk frat guys kept yelling for Stream and Chatterbox, which to my surprise, Tim played. At the time I thought he may have done it so they would shut the hell up, but it didn't seem to work. Then when Tim started playing Loose Interpretation, and I yelled "All Right!" because I love that song, the frat guys looked at me with their drunked stupors like "Umm...thats not Stream dude"
What really made me want to smack them in the mouth, is when they were talking amongst themselves, and one said to another "Dude, when's he gonna play a Dave song?" I was looking all over for a empty beer bottle to break and attack him with....well not really...but you can understand my frustration..i'm seeing a guy I pretty much idolize live, playing all these kick ass songs, and these drunkards are ruining it! Anyway, I hope it doesn't keep Tim from coming back to iowa.

Try Cedar Rapids next time Tim, we're much better behaved here!!!

Adam

And on the 8th day God created the art of war...and laughing, planned the end.
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2001 :  12:22:11 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'm going to Atlanta and I hope to God that people aren't trying to hear Dave songs. I admit that that's how I met Tim (figuratively), but either way, I recognize that there's no other Tim and that's who I am going to see. And I want to hear what he wants to play. I don't know if I'll be able not to break some beer bottles on some frat boys like you kept yourself from doing.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2001 :  08:28:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Isaac, I mentioned your request to Tim and he told me to remind him the day of the show and he will see if it fits in to his set that nite. As for your question Erich:

Anyway... Ive always wanted to catch tim before a show and ask him why he doesnt play certain songs, such as Smile, Reliable Sources, There Is No Judgement, or Intuition Like A Child. But i also get so nervous and stupid around him.

I asked Tim about these songs and he said that they were slower songs and he was not sure how they would go over at the time he was deciding what songs he should perform live, but he is now considering the possibility of maybe adding them at some point in the future. So who knows maybe they will turn up in future set lists.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Isaac
Chatterbox

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2001 :  09:13:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Woo thanks Fluffy!

I'll shoot ya an e-mail or a message on here as the show nears to remind you (just in case ;) THANKS! WOOO

Isaac

"And when King Alexander saw the breadth of his domain he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer"
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2001 :  08:40:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
No problem Isaac, good idea to remind me. It can get quite hectic out here on the road.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Erich with an h
Yak Addict

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2001 :  5:57:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Erich with an h's Homepage  Send Erich with an h an AOL message  Reply with Quote
thanks so much fluffy!

Im definatly hoping that tim whips out earlier material, cause although his new stuff is wonderful, i like hearing the balance between old and new to bring out the most of his catalougue. Its great to hear him playing electric songs as well too, such as Leelines.

thanks again, and heres to hoping for a 'Smile' one day on tour

Erich w/ an h
Erichwanh@yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000