Video of me playing Stream
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tidoublemy
Is Anybody Here?

13 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  11:13:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's me covering Stream. Keep in mind that it's just a rough interpretation because I didn't want to learn the whole thing note for note. Thanks for listening, guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SaNZkAFyzI

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  09:05:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Nice job... you've got the alternate picking down really well. How long have you been at it?

Just a funny observation: This seems to be the most posted "me playing" song, but it seems like nobody uses hybrid picking in the part right after Mary Had A Little Lamb. There are certainly more difficult passages to play in the song, but that seems to be swept over with strumming every time. Not knocking, just thought that was funny.

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  3:25:58 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
not to knock your playing or anything, you did a good job, but the reason, silky, many people who cover stream don't do the hybrid picking is because a lot of people who cover song like stream (such as me) aren't very good (me again) and hybrid picking is considered difficult by a lot of people, so they gloss over it with strumming.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Tidoublemy
Is Anybody Here?

13 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  4:12:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's labelled as such because it's a cover of the recording as found on Live At Luther College and some DMB fans might take interest in it. It's just a fun recording, try not to have a heart-attack.

Also, I can hybrid pick just fine but i'm wondering what area of the song calls for it? What is the "mary had a little lamb" part? Thanks for info.
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  09:57:28 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
the hybrid picking comment wasn't directed at you, but guitar players at large. your interpretation did not have hybrid picking during the improv, and that's fine. as i said, you did a good job. i was speaking generally.

i don't know what the "mary had a little lamb part" means. just a heads up, too: people tend to throw a shitfit over certain things. a list:

1. associating tim reynolds with dave matthews in the manner you have (it happens a lot.)
2. calling him "timmy" or "timmah" like from south park. so your name might make some people angry at you.
3. dmb fans in general.

hope that helped. these things don't piss me off, but you'll run into trouble with some others.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Tidoublemy
Is Anybody Here?

13 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  10:53:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heh, just for the record, my name is Tim. My nick is just a name I came up with back in the day regarding myself. Thanks for info
Go to Top of Page

Tidoublemy
Is Anybody Here?

13 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  7:03:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OMG, you're so right!! I'll go do that right away.

Seriously though, do you think that I don't know all of these things? It's labelled as such because, like it or not, Tim Reynolds has made a significant impact on the Dave Matthews experience over the years and this song IS a recording on one of DMB's albums. I labelled it that way so that DMB fans, of whom there are many, might find some entertainment or insight upon watching the video.

Get off your high-horse, fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  9:56:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
AHAHA

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

Tidoublemy
Is Anybody Here?

13 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  4:08:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry to disappoint, get a life
Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  4:19:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's not forget that adding "Dave Matthews Band" to a video will increase the likelihood of getting more people to view the video.

I'm thinking of posting a video of myself playing Minesweeper really fast and just slapping "Dave Matthews Band" on it to see how many views I get.
Go to Top of Page

AGirlNamedPsycho
Try A Little Harder

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  1:03:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit AGirlNamedPsycho's Homepage  Send AGirlNamedPsycho an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I do the hybrid picking on the "little lamb" part. I'm a really weird player, I do lots of hybrid picking where it doesn't belong. :/
However! I cannot for the life of me find a good way to play the "oh i'm mixolydian but not" part that comes right before it. I've seen it played live so I know how tim's doing it, but my hands turn into uncooked steak everytime I try to do it. It make-a me grumble a lot.
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2007 :  1:30:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
All these threads about guitar playing are like Greek to me. Nobody has explained what hybrid picking or the "mary had a little lamb" part are... Although I suppose even if somebody did I still wouldn't get it. Oh well.

teri
Twittering about the DC adventure since Dec '09...
(Micro)Blog * Photo Album
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000