Show Reviews
 07/05/07 Sullys Pub Hartford, CT
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jjkim1028
Try A Little Harder

52 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  4:04:31 PM  Show Profile  Send jjkim1028 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ok, so it has been 5 days since the show, and no one has written anything yet, so I will start.
I don't have the setlist, but here are some general review for the show.

I got there around 6:15pm to set up my cameras, and the place was pretty small, so I ended up in left side of stage about 1.5ft from Tim. It would be the best spot for audience, but not so much for cameras. People could stand so close to him, if I go any further, I would not be able to capture ANYTHING. I set up 2 cameras (Sony Z1 with SBD feed, and Sony mini-DVD cam) and tried to juggle two at the same time.
Around 8:30, bar opened and people started to storm in, screaming and looking over the stage for pedals and stuff. Almost everyone had bottle or glass and they were all loud (which worried me...).
Some rude people were making comments about me wearing headphones and shooting with two cameras, like, "oh, look at the cameraman, taking up all the spaces" and other mean comments, but I did not really care: 1.because I did not take too much space, 2. they were drunk.
Anyway, show started, and I started noticing some interference and squeeky noise from the SBD and apparently those noise were coming out of speakers and monitor as well. There were a couple times when Tim had to stop and (C)rew had to step into fix stuff.... (that's not gonna sound good in the video...) Well, the whole thing was fixed and went on with the show, but when I looked around, I have noticed that some people left the bar. Too bad, because they missed alot of good stuff! My battery died at the end of the Doom... (the worst nightmare), but hopefully I can pull something with my 2nd camera.
Though I can't exactly remember what was played, I do know some of my favorites were played and loved them (ocean, doom, this is the one, etc....)
There is no encore after the last song which saddened me alot, but...
there are some good nights (ie. Newmarket, or Univ of Hartford) and some bad nights just like (C)rew told me after the show.
I was pleased I was there to capture amazing moments. And when I drove back home for 3 hours, I was not tired at all because of the fact that I was at the show.
I will try to edit the show as soon as possible and share with everyone. It will be interesting....
Once I look through all the footage, maybe I can come up with better review for the night.
Thanks to Tim for another great night, to Fluffy for helping me, and to (C)rew with helping with my work before and during the show.

I will post some stills and clips from the show soon.

JJ

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  5:41:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
So by tonite I am thinking this has got to be nite when we finally lose our amazing streak of luck. Small room, low stage and big bar. Again, the wonderful staff more than made up for the room. It's amazing how a little personality goes such a long way. We arrived and after a few minutes trying to get the door open we loaded in and set up the stage. JJ arrived not to soon after us and right around the same TIMe as the soundman. We did a quick and painless soundcheck and (c)Rew and I were quite happy with the outcome.

Next we ordered our dinner which from the looks of the menu we weren't to sure about. I am happy to say that you shouldn't judge a menu by the cover. Another case of the food being absolutely amazing. I had the pizza because it said it was the house speciality. I got the meat lovers pizza which is quite the understatement. LOL It said a large could feed 8 but I didn't believe them. I ordered a pizza for myself after (c)Rew agreed he would help me eat it. Well this thing came and I have never seen anything like it. Thickest pizza I have ever seen and not because of the crust but because it was a split level pizza. Imagine a meat lovers pizza with another meat lovers pizza stacked on top of it. Unbefuckinlieveable! I did my best and even with the help of (c)Rew and Reynolds I only got thru 1/2 of this monsterous pizza. We got the other 1/2 boxed up to go and I could barely lift the thing and it was only 1/2 of the pizza. We were told that the whole pie weighs in at somewhere near an astonishing 13 lbs. Yes, that's what I said, 13 lbs. CRAZY!!! Just try to imagine that. It certainly wouldn't have fed 8 of my friends but I think 3 or 4 folks would leave stuffed from that pizza. And boy do I mean stuffed.

After dinner it was up to the dressing room for food coma. TR introduced us to his new song which was yet unnamed. He told us it was a bit of music and lyrics that in his mind reminded him of Syd Barrett. I had a look and I definitely could see a bit of kookiness in the lyrics but I wasn't sure I would have made the Syd Barrett connection. A short TIMe later TR started rehearsing it and tightening up the lyrics. As soon as I hear him sing it I got the Syd Barrett connection. The pauses were placed in such a way that it made it sound very Syd Barrett when I heard them in context to the music. Upon my first reading they sounded a bit silly like some of Syd's lyrics but they didn't strike me as something I would have noticed as Syd-like. The second TR put them to music and sang them it became immediately clear the influence. Amazing how that happens. I couldn't wait to hear the final product when he finished learning it.

It was a pretty late show for a Thursday but after a splendid opening act, Randy Collins, who if you are a fan of the tap-on style like Michael Hedges, Matt Winn or Kaki King(you should definitely check this guy out, wish I had gotten a CD of him), TR took the stage to a packed house. The crowd was a tad noiser than we had become accustomed to after the last 7 performances but they were really into it and the NRG from them fed TR all nite. A completely different kind of performance than the last 7 but still amazing in it's own right. Sadly, there were a few technical difficulties that we hadn't had at soundcheck but I chalked them up to the lightning from the storms that were raging all nite. Turned out to be a bad XLR cable. Once it was figured it out everything was much better. We were in such a good mood that it really didn't seem to phase anyone to much and TRodded on unhindered, even making jokes about the squeels and squelches. What a priviledge to work with such a professional. Alot of musicians would have lost their minds but TR soldiers on knowing it is the nature of the beast that there will be electronic problems from TIMe to TIMe. Whatta pro! TR's setlist looked like this in front of him:

Space Eater
Come Together(with a kiss)
This Is The One
Che'
Runnin Away or Noble Bastard
Indoctrinate
Extravagent Measures
---------------------------------
Sinceritox
Ancestors
Flourescence
Coco
Strom
----------------------------------
Alpha Centauri In A TooToo
We Are From Space
Betrayal
Smells So Sweet
Crazy Spill of the Butta
-------------------------------------
Ocean
Revolution All Around
Doom
Levee
------------------------------------
Hold OR Whole(Killing Floor)

Again, corrections for this selist will need to be left to the tale of the tape from JJ. Special thanx to JJ for coming out early and enduring the audience abuse to capture the show for all to enjoy. I hope it comes out OK.

Thanx to Rob and the entire staff of Sullys Pub and Lena's Last Pizzaria for the awesome food and taking such great care of us. Make sure if you are in Hartford you stop in and have the mammoth meat lovers specialty of the house if you think you can handle it. LOL

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2007 :  5:57:33 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I can't even tell you how badly I want that Pizza right now! How was it the next day? Did you eat it cold for breakfast? Cold leftover pizza for breakfast is the best!

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  7:12:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sadly, I never got to find out as I forgot to grab the leftover pizza box from the dressing room. Booooooooo! I bet it would have been great.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000