09/16/07 North Star Bar Philadelphia, PA
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  12:32:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I will start with the saddest of news, tonite was NOT recorded.

Our return to the North Star Bar was a stellar performance by TR. We had a much more intimate crowd than our last TIMe thru and if memory serves that was on a friday or saturday and for sure the crowd was very enthusiatic and a bit drunk. In sharp contrast, tonites crowd was quiet and attentive making for another "delicate" show with lots of subtle nuances that don't always come out in the more boisterous shows.

We had a fairly shitty drive from Hartford to Philly, took much longer than I had hoped. Given that it was a Sunday I was hoping for much less traffic but I always expect the worst when I-95 is involved. (c)Rew and I fantasized that with so many big football games on that everyone would be at home chugging beers and watching football. Obviously, NOT the case. LOL After slugging it out in stop and go traffic for most of the NJ Turnpike we arrived at NSB just in the nick of TIMe for soundcheck. We had a smooth soundcheck thanx to Reed who had done sound for TR at his last engagement there. In fact it sounded better this TIMe than last TIMe IMHO. Could have been that there just weren't alot of drunks around so it seemed better. LOL Anyway, after a painless soundcheck TR worked on a new cover he had been perfecting for a bit in hopes of premiereing it tonite. After soundcheck we had a bite to eat and TR strolled the streets of Philly as he likes to do before gigTIMe.

Most of the audience was seated tonite and I wondered if they were going to all come rushing forward once TR took the stage. Instead they mostly stayed seated transfixed as TR strummed his way thru a set absolutely dripping with emotion and feeling. He was definitely in another world tonite. From his choice of songs and his presentation it was a very special performance. His setlist looked like this:

Space Ferret Interview
Come Together
Decline In Reason
Wall Socket
Betrayal
To Ride The Time Machine
Make Space Not Clutter, Then Explode Into Space
---------------------------------------------------
Letting Go
Healing of the Notions
Belly Of The Beast
Stream
Well
Indwelling Spirit Evocation From Inner Space To Outer Space
Jemez
Blue Cold Sweat
Smells So Sweet
Crazy Glue Squirting Madly
High In The West
Everything We Are Told(Afterglow?)
Ode Ocean OR Ocean Hold
Sonic Dreambursts Purple Rain Falling From My Heart In Space.....

Have a look at that set will you? NICE! Pretty sure it was played mostly as written. For clarification purposes, he did Ocean and Hold On NOT Ode and Ocean. Afterglow started out as what would usually be the middle section of Stream but to my recollection TR never went back into Stream and finished all of Afterglow. So it was more Stream>Afterglow. TR had been working on this at soundcheck and he pulled it off beautifully. It seemed like a very emotional song for him to perform. He really seemed especially passionate with his delivery. Afterglow is a cover of Genisis song from Wind & Wuthering. TR performed it instrumentally chosing to "speak" the vocals with the guitar. I am sure it will get played again at some point so hopefully you will all get to experience at some point in the future. Because there was no recording we also missed another TR premiere tonite, Prince's Purple Rain as the encore. WOW, WOW, WOW! What a wonderful surprise. TR had told me that he performed this with the new TR3 down in OBX but I had no idea he was going to unleash an acoustic version on us. I would have thought that that particular song would lend itself to TR's bluesy delivery of the lyrics. I have heard is so many TIMes by Prince that you become so used to his delivery you have a hard TIMe imagining it done differently. Let me tell you, that song sounds great with TR's bluesy rasp. He absolutely shredded it on guitar as well. I looked at (c)Rew who was grinning so big during this and just said, "Of course this show WASN'T recorded, DOAH!"

Another show highlight for me tonite was High In The West. The subtle intricacies of that song were absolutely heart-wrenching tonite. TR really was on fire this evening. As we are now becoming accustomed to, Betrayal brought a huge audience response when he started it. It really is nice to see something besides Stream and the covers get that kind of response from an entire crowd. (c)Rew told me he kinda glanced at TR as he started playing it and the crowd went wild and they just grinned at one another. LOL (c)Rew later told me it was like the audience "had found a new friend!"

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  1:06:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, Afterglow. A song off of the last good Genesis album in my opinion.

Great review Fluff. Man, I hope TR keeps Purple Rain in rotation, that sounds fantastic!

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  4:50:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great review Fluffy. I don't really have anything to add except that it was a very nice crowd to be part of. I can't think of a better atmosphere to hear TR other than Jared's back yard!(wish I had made it to that one)

I'm sorry it wasn't recorded, what a shame! Video would have been cool too, don't remember seeing TR jump around as much as he did last night!

Very sweet Afterglow,(SOKO would have loved that one), Well, "Time Machine" also Purple Rain....best encore yet!

Thank you TIM, Fluffy and Rew for a perfect night of music!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Rheginos
Is Anybody Here?

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  9:27:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rheginos's Homepage  Reply with Quote
An amazingly entertaining evening with Tim R. !!! He really WAS playing US ... wit his fingers ;-) w000 !! And after the show, he was so generous with his attention and autographs ... fun philosophical quick chat ... thanx! Looking forward to any and all future dates in this metropolitan area...and the Jersey/New York shores too!!! Kudos to all the cRew folk who helped make it happen!!!

First TimE Reynolds show = Sunday 9.16.07 ... wow, just....W O W !!!
Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  10:07:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's great seeing how blown away people are when they first see Tim play. He changes lives.

I'll never forget my first show. Ever.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  10:51:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rheginos

An amazingly entertaining evening with Tim R. !!! He really WAS playing US ... wit his fingers ;-) w000 !! And after the show, he was so generous with his attention and autographs ... fun philosophical quick chat ... thanx! Looking forward to any and all future dates in this metropolitan area...and the Jersey/New York shores too!!! Kudos to all the cRew folk who helped make it happen!!!

Glad to hear you had a great first experience! Stick around Rheginos and join the craziness here.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000