Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Show Reviews
 05/31/08 Star Lake Burgettstown, PA (w/ DMB)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gravedigger
Try A Little Harder

82 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  7:04:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gravedigger's Homepage  Send Gravedigger an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Last night I made it to what most likely will be my only DMB show of the summer.

First I was there early enough to hear the soundcheck:
Money (pink floyd)
Money (That's What I Want) (i dont know the original, but the Beatles version)
Melissa (dave and tim only...just the guitar parts. ABB)
Melissa (Full, ABB cover)

ok now to the set:

First off, DMB has these stupid lights on the stage that rise as the band plays the first song. Very over dramatic if you ask me.

Two Step - Id grown tired of Two Step over the last few years due to Butchs long drawn out piano parts. This was how two step was meant to sound. Loud, aggressive, and fast. Getting TIM into the act early.

Granny - Classic DMB. Tim had some nice fills

Cornbread - I don't really like this song, but Tims parts are kind of cool. Not much to say about this one.

Satellite - Another song i was absolutely sick of. Mostly because Dave can't sing it anymore. But last night he hit the falsetto perfectly. Also, hearing Tims parts back in the song added way more then id have imagined to such a slow simple song.

So Damn Lucky - Pretty much just Dave, Tim, and Carter. Roi and Boyd need to learn parts in the song. Still nice to hear.

The Maker - Tim moment #2. Just mimicking the vocal melody of the song works so well. Decent but short solo

Where are you going - Tim shouldnt waste him time with this shit

You Might Die Trying - Decent song, the end jam has really started to come together with Tim and Roi trading off parts.

#41 - Great song. Again, Dave hitting the high notes helps a lot. Tim had another short solo, which fit nicely, but really his work was plying the backing part of the song and adding that extra layer that has been missing.

Too Much - Another song I was VERY sick of. Tim turned this back into what it needs to be, a true rock song. No solo, but lots of aggressive playing.

Melissa - A little rusty and despite being one of my favorite songs not one i enjoy DMB covering. I liked Tims tone on the song, but still rather not see Dave singing this one. Save it for the Allmans.

Gravedigger - Another Tim, Carter, and Dave song. The other guys just played notes every so often. Needs some work, but should turn into a nice full band song.

Rhyme and Reason - This song NEEDS a lead guitarist. It was great in 06 with Joe Lawlar and it was great last night with Tim. Great jam at the end which Tim lead into with Carter.

#27 - Another song i dislike at this point, not much to say

Lie in our graves - This is where the show goes from fun to great. I forgot how great this song could be, but Tims biggest highlight was his solo here. Brought the place down...and then the song went right into

Ants Marching - Tim used some cool effects during the intro and added the fills that have been missing for years.

Encore:
So since i heard the SC all i wanted was to hear Pink Floyds Money, because otherwise i know id end up at another show.

Money (Pink Floyd) - Carters intro was great. All high hats to make the sounds of falling coins. Dave NAILED the vocals. Rois sax solo was fucked up, which was shocking since it sounded great in the SC, but then Tim came in to save the day. Just absolutely wonderful cover and something i never thought id see DMB do. And it went right into...

Money (thats what i want) - Fun way to end with Rashawn, Roi, and Boyd singing the backing vocals. Not nearly as great musically as Floyds cover, but still some fun.

Overall, i enjoyed the hell out of the show. And I've decided I will NEVER see DMB again without Tim. The band needs a lead guitarist of his caliber to carry a lot of their songs. It looked like he was having a great time and i hope he sticks around for a long time again...

And i know when he busts out some more creative covers im going to drop more money on another show :( Damn you Tim

db.etree.org/smyry52

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  1:10:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That is an awesome blow-by-blow account Gravedigger. THANX for that, I really enjoyed it. Wish I could write them that nice. I was curious, in the last line of you post, did you mean to say "And I've decided I will NEVER see DMB again (WITHOUT) Tim."? Because it sounded like you really dug it and I was wondering why you wouldn't see DMB again "WITH" Tim. I am little confused and I guess looking for a little clarification. THANX again for the awesome review. Hope more folks will take the TIMe to contribute their experiences as well. Hats off to Gravedigger!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  1:35:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This review is really from the first 2 shows but I guess they were both in the same venue and since there is no thread for the first nite I figured I would post this here. Loads of compliments to TR's additions to the songs. ENJOY!

Tour Begins... Anything but the Ordinary

Posted by Jake Vigliotti 5/31/08 11:22pm

The DMB completed the first two nights of the 2008 tour, and to say it was unconventional would be an understatement.

First, the obvious: The band closed with covers both nights: And never performed (full band) covers at that. After closing with a Dave And Friends staple (curtsy of Sly And The Family Stone) Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin), they follow that up the next night with a medley of Pink Floyd's Money with Money (That's What I Want) (The Barry Gordy written song has been covered by numerous people).

The loss of Butch was filled in quite nicely by Tim Reynolds, according to the fans who were at the show (and those that listened to the first night's recording). Tim did his part filling in the void on Two Step and Lie In Our Graves, which of late had been performed by Mr. Taylor.

The other changes were the (long awaited) full-DMB performances of Dave Solo songs So Damn Lucky and Gravedigger - with Tim adding a strong flair to Gravedigger.

On the other hand, since the only reason half of you come here is for the negatives, the first night had its ups and downs. Rapunzel wasn't the sharpest its been, and by all reports from fans (including those who posted texts on Antslive!, Stolen Away on 55th and 3rd only succeeded in stealing away the energy of the crowd, and despite a fine performance by Tim on Louisiana Bayou, the song is clearly wearing on people (for the record, I still like it). Where Are You Going got people going to the bathrooms during night two's performance (as it always does), and the band repeated 6 songs over the two-night open (contrast that to 2003 - another non-album out tour where the band played 34 different songs in the first two-night stand).

But that's just for those out there that love the negatives. It's quite obviously extremely early in the tour, and with three new covers - and only two 'new' songs from the past tour (Cornbread and #27 - and the addition of Tim Reynolds, this tour could be the most unpredictable tour ever. Yes ever.

And if you didn't get a chance to follow along with Antslive! during the shows, you can still find the comments and great pictures (thanks to everyone who sent them in!) by accessing the shows from our Tour Central page. Each individual show has the Antslive! link at the top right where you can review the pix and chat!

The tour continues June 3rd in Camden.

SOURCE: http://antsmarching.org/story.php?NewsID=650

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Gravedigger
Try A Little Harder

82 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  5:23:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gravedigger's Homepage  Send Gravedigger an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Of course that meant to say without. Dont know how i fucked that up.

People complaining about repeats (as the ants guy did) are idiots. Its the first two shows with tim back and without butch. There's some songs that need work.

I've decided to try and get decent seats on Tims side for the Blossom show so i can bring a sign that says 'Indoctrinate' on it

db.etree.org/smyry52
Go to Top of Page

yeedog
Is Anybody Here?

13 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  7:49:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both DMB shows are streaming here if anybody wants to listen. http://www.wklitz.com/

I wasn't at the shows, but I can't get enough of Two Step with TR. That is the way Two Step should sound like. I'd recommend everybody give it a listen if you already haven't, it was the opener on the second night.

I can't wait for me 4 shows with TR near the end of June, they should be fantastic.
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  8:05:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I just have to say I love Cornbread and #28. I think they are both great songs (especially #28 with Tim). I love playing both of them on my uncle's Dobro.

Not communicating can hurt more than any word that can be said -

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000