Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Show Reviews
 08/07/08 Verizon Wireless VA Beach, VA TR3 (w/DMB)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2008 :  1:02:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel someone should post about this show, and I am sure there will be others adding to it, but for anyone who is interested, TR3 TOTALLY ROCKED! They are the reason I made the trip and they did not disappoint! I love them more each time I hear them play. They played See You In My Dreams, Move on Ahead, Sex Machine, Kabbala (?), Do You Wanna, and Caveman. I think there were more, but that is all I can remember now. I know Fluffy will provide the set lists, or at least I hope he can. I meant to write them down and thought I would remember, but then I forgot! Go figure!

It was a very hot and humid night, yet Toxic Pooh still managed to make an appearance and let me tell you, his moves are getting better every time I see him! Someone we all know and love is definitely feeling comfortable in his "Pooh-Fur" LOL! Actually, it was so hot that I couldn't believe Pooh came out! I bet he lost 10 pounds in sweat that night!

The crowd looked sparce due to the size of the venue since the DMB fans usually blow off the opening act, but actually there were a lot of people watching and everyone seemed to be really into the band and were very enthusiastic. Of course they did have their fan base family and friends from C'ville and OBX there.

I will let someone else fill you all in on the DMB portion of the show. I was less than thrilled with the set list, in fact, most of the songs didn't do a thing for me. The only songs I really liked was Burning Down the House and Halloween. They played Halloween as I was leaving and so I hung around to hear all of that. I liked DMB years ago, but my taste in music has changed as has their music.

Having said that, the crowd who were obviously DMB fans seemed to be having a great time, so I am sure anyone here who is a fan of theirs would love seeing a show. TR definitely added something, but I noticed a huge difference without LeRoi. Jeff is good, but he is no LeRoi, just my opinion. Also, I could do without the horn. The set list just sucked IMO. I saw other set lists from this years tour that I know I would have liked, but that's how it goes with bands and tours.

I got to hear the band I came to see, which was TR3, so I couldn't be happier!

Rob, (DaRavyn) was there with his lovely girlfriend Bree (sorry Rob, I am assuming it is short for Brianna, but didn't know how she spells her name, oops!) Rob was able to get amazing photos of TR3 close up and I can't wait to see them. Hopefully he will make them accessable for everyone on here. By the way, Rob, it was a pleasure to meet you and your girlfriend. I hope to see you both again at a TR3 show!

Patrick,(dirtysloth) it was GREAT getting to see you again and meeting your mom. I am sorry I left early and didn't get to see you after the show.

I am so thankful that I could attend that show. Great venue, great music....TR3!!!!!!

Here is the DMB setlist:Set List from VA Beach

Seek Up *
One Sweet World *
So Damn Lucky *
Old Dirt Hill *
Pantala Naga Pampa *
Rapunzel *
Crash Into Me *
Corn Bread *
Eh Hee *
Burning Down The House *
Proudest Monkey
Satellite *
Everyday (tease) *
Halloween *
Water/Wine Jam
You Might Die Trying *
Sledgehammer *
#41 *
Ants Marching *
Encore:
Don't Drink the Water *
Anyone Seen The Bridge *
Too Much (tease) *
Tripping Billies

Guests:
All Songs With Tim Reynolds
All Songs With Rashawn Ross
* Jeff Coffin

dancheatham
Chatterbox

USA
180 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2008 :  2:57:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit dancheatham's Homepage  Send dancheatham an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I can fill in most of the rest of the setlist. They played two instrumentals that I didn't know the titles of, but here's what they played:

See You in Your Dreams
Wind Just Blew the Door Open
???
Cave Man
Meaning to Tell You
???
Move on Ahead
Sex Machine
Kabbalah
Do You Wanna

Hopefully Fluffy or someone else can fill in those two missing songs. I'll get the correct setlist on the Almanac as soon as I know it!

Anyway, I loved the TR3 set, and most people around me (on the lawn) were grooving to it. I've never seen a venue so full for a DMB opener! Toxic Pooh was great, but I was so far back that I couldn't see James Brown :( It was awesome seeing TR3 open for DMB, but I can't wait to see them on their own again in a smaller venue and with a longer show.

I've been seeing DMB shows for 9 years, and this was one of the best I've seen. Seek Up is a fantastic opener, and it was my first time seeing that song live. Halloween was a nice surprise, and Tim had a solo on just about every song toward the end of the set (you should have stuck around PJK, you missed some great work from Tim!).

The DMB show is up on dreamingtree.org now; hopefully the TR3 one will follow soon! =)

Daniel Cheatham
dmbalmanac.com
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2008 :  5:24:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think one of the songs you are missing is Leelines. Glad you enjoyed the show! I am not sorry I left when I did though, I much prefer TR3 to DMB. I went to hear them and was blown away as usual.

My seat for the show wasn't great, couldn't see any of the band (DMB) due to tall people in front, not their fault, just how it was. I could only see them on the screens and since I was doing that, I decided to skip the seats altogether. I only stood by my seat for a few songs, the rest I heard from outside the seating area where I could see them on a screen and also had better sound. I think the lawn seats probably got the best sound, they usually do at outdoor venues. There is just no way to have great acoustics at an outdoor venue, or should I say, great acoustics for most seats.

I had been to many DMB shows back in the 90's and loved them. I like the "old" DMB much better than the newer songs. Seek Up is a great song, but I needed to hear more up beat songs and except for Burning Down the House and Halloween, well, I could have slept through most of them. I hate Crash Into Me, always have, although I know that one is a favorite for most DMB fans I know. If I had to hear SLOW songs, I would rather have heard Crush,Cry Freedom, or Bartender. I would have loved to have heard The Stone, Rhyme & Reason, Jimi Thing, Warehouse, All Along the Watchtower, Grey Street, Louisianna Bayou or Two Step. I heard all of them live beofore so it wasn't a big deal that they weren't played. Hey, it is just a matter of taste that's all. I really can't say I regret leaving early at all, I felt very happy to have heard TR3 since they were the reason I went. If I really wanted to hear DMB, I would have gotten tickets to hear them one of the nights they were in Camden. I do agree with you that I probably missed some great TR moments, but that's life. Guess I am getting too picky in my old age. LOL

Anyway, it was a fun night for sure and I am so glad I got to go. I am also glad to hear folks on the lawn were loving TR3 too! It was wonderful to see Fluffy, Mick, Rob, Bri, and Patrick! Wish I could have met you too dancheatham. Maybe I will see you at a TR3 show someday.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2008 :  6:05:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pam, what did you think of Sledgehammer? I've only seen a few less than stellar quality videos but liked most of it. How was the real thing?

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2008 :  7:36:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sadly I left before they played that, Ben. It was hot and humid and since I was alone and wasn't loving the set list at all, leaving was more appealing to me than staying to the end and dealing with drunk, high, (and both), drivers. I left right after Halloween, so I missed five songs and the encore.

I would have liked to have heard Sledgehammer. I do have very fond memories of Peter singing that song live, it certainly would have been interesting to hear DMB do that one. To tell you the truth, at the show I never once thought about a PG cover.

My very favorite show of all time was seeing PG from row 2 in Philly! Now that was a memory I will NEVER forget! Best part was I had no one standing in front of me! How people could be a no show for a first row PG show is beyond me, but there were several empty seats in front of us, so it was like being the first row.

Are you going to any of the DMB shows in CA? Hope so.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  01:14:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I do, it'll be out of my devotion for TR. I've always wanted to see him with DMB 'cause he adds that grungy, dirty rock edge. But who knows? The shows are in a few weeks and I don't have tickets yet. Personally at this point I'd prefer to see a straight TR3 concert.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  05:50:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Personally at this point I'd prefer to see a straight TR3 concert.

Smart choice!

Ya know, having said that, I just checked the set list from last night's show at Alpine and low and behold they also had Seek Up, Halloween, Ants Marching and Burning Down the House but then they got Dancing Nancies, Bartender, Spoon, Louisiana Bayou, Crush, Money, AND Two Step for the encore. Again, I think the show in VA Beach had the worst set list ever!

Crush and Cry Freedom are my top two favorite DMB songs. The only "newer" song I really like is Louisiana Bayou. I am just glad they didn't play American Baby at VA Beach as I totally hate that song. The year it came out I was working at a school during the summer and they played that song over and over again until I wanted to scream! Not to mention that I hate the lyrics and think the tune it totally lame. They also had Out of My Hands which I do like, but I heard at Radio City Music Hall with Tim and Dave and that was a more fitting venue for that song. It is the kind of song that just needs a quiet respectful crowd, doesn't seem fit well as a big outdoor venue type song to me.

Go to Top of Page

dancheatham
Chatterbox

USA
180 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  12:14:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit dancheatham's Homepage  Send dancheatham an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Anyone know if this one was taped?

Daniel Cheatham
dmbalmanac.com
Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  6:23:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw at least one serious taper.

I'll respectfully disagree about the setlist. Not my favorite, but not all that horrible. Seek Up is my favorite opener and while it wasn't such an eclectic setlist, it was solid and a lot of fun. Jeff Coffin had the most memorable solo of the night on #41. It's the first time I got to see Rashawn and usually I hate trumpets, but I loved what he added to the sound. I was hoping to hear Jimi Thing or Watchtower, but oh well.

It was a great show, and it was cool seeing Coffin with them, but as great as Coffin was, it still sounded just like DMB meets the Flecktones, not really DMB. I mean, whaddya expect I guess, and I wasn't disappointed by any means, but it was quite different.

TR3 put on a good show. I'm tempted to say it was kind of a safe setlist, not as wild as I'd like, a great take on Kabbalah I guess, but Tim played for about 4 hours so just being able to do that is quite a thing. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the hell out of it. By far the best mix I've heard, as you would expect of course given the difference in setting.
Go to Top of Page

dancheatham
Chatterbox

USA
180 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2008 :  09:40:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit dancheatham's Homepage  Send dancheatham an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dirtysloth

I saw at least one serious taper.

During TR3? That's good to know. I guess I'll just give it some more time. There are several sources of the DMB set available, but I want to listen to the TR3 one again! :)

Daniel Cheatham
dmbalmanac.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000