Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Show Reviews
 08/20/08 Staples Center Los Angeles, CA (w/ DMB)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  7:42:47 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, I knew going into this show it was going to be very different. I had been looking forward to seeing DMB with TR ever since it was announced that TR would be touring with them this summer. I had never seen DMB w/ TR and hearing Tim on bootlegs from '98 tour with DMB was what got me to buy Puke Matrix, and the rest was history.

Then Tuesday came, the news of a death that didn’t seem real and I thought for sure that the tour, or at least the LA shows would be cancelled, but they weren't, the shows went on. Obviously I was shocked by the news on Leroi's passing, and I suddenly wasn't all that excited for the show, I felt like it just wasn't right to be excited, I didn't know what to think.

When Dave came out to announce the opening band (The Dynamites) he seemed VERY down. From there it verified that it was going to be an emotional night.

When it came time for DMBs set, the lights went down, and the band took stage behind a video screen. A "Leroi" chant started, and soon filled the Staples Center. They turned the lights on the crowd, to acknowledge the chant. Then the screen raised and the band went into Seek Up.

Seek Up has always seemed like a very emotional song to me, and has always been one of my favorites. I'm not sure I'd ever heard it live before but on cds I‘ve always felt it the perfect opener.. I was getting pretty teary-eyed already. Before Dave started singing both Jeff and Rashawn played the most passionate horn intro I'd ever heard, they were both just going nuts. I took this to be a tribute to Roi. It was very beautiful, but also very sad because of the memories of Leroi playing that solo that it invoked. As the intro of the song continued, the big screen behind the band would zoom in on the various members of the band, and at one point while Carter was playing, he got a huge smile on his face that the camera zoomed in on. The crowd erupted in applause and most if not all dawned smiles of our own. This was my cue, and I think many other's that it was OK for us to have a good time, smile, and enjoy the show. It was a moment I’ll never forget.

Overall, and justifiably so, the band seemed a little off all night. Both Boyd and Stephan really didn't seem into it at all. Dave seemed to be trying, maybe 50/50 and Carter, Tim, and Jeff were all very into it. The setlist seemed very disconnected, and there were a few odd choices I thought, especially the song Gravedigger.

Highlights for me were

Rhyme and Reason: I love this new rendition with Tim's solo leading into the new horn section.

Crush: Tim and Jeff did dueling solos during the outro. (Tim blew him away in my biased oppinion) They also both had huge smiles while battling.

#41: which saw everyone take turns soloing, and showing off their stuff.

YMDT: Very Rocking rendition

Pantala ---> Rapunzel: What a surprise, I don't think this had been played much at all lately.

Jimi Thing: Great solo by Tim on his Black Les Paul

and of course Sledgehammer as I'm a huge Peter Gabriel fan, and they do a nice job here with the cover.

Many mentions of Leroi were made throughout the night. Before R&R Dave said it was one of Roi's favorite songs, and before 41 Dave said the Leroi HATED it. At one point in between some tunes Dave told a story of Big Voice Jack and how he had given a few of his Pennywhistles to Roi as a sign of love, and how they were these old beat up primitive whistles, and told how Leroi returned the love by sending a whole new set of the nicest, hottest, sweetest pennywhistles to Jack in Africa.

All in all, it was what I expected it to be, a very different experience. One however that helped the healing process. Dave at one point put it best when he said there wasn't anywhere he'd rather be than up on stage with his friends.

god
Kevin

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2008 :  08:00:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin, thanks for the awesome review. I was wondering how it went. Yes, DMB will never be the same, and Roi's void is huge, too huge to be fully replaced by anyone, and I am not talking about just the music. But life goes on, music goes on and I am glad that band went on. I thought a lot about that and I realized if I was them, that is what I would have wanted to do as well. BTW, the set list looked great. RR is one of my favorites too, as is Crush.(and I don't care for 41 much either)

{{{{{{{{{Le Roi}}}}}}}}}}
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000