Show Reviews
 02/06/09 briXton South Bay Redondo Beach, CA TR3
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  4:28:55 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
D'oh! I forgot to get the exact setlist, so this is off memory. The order in the middle probably isn't exact, and I might have left out a song somewhere, but I think it's pretty close:

Cave Man
Victory Express
See You In Your Dreams
By Your Side
Wind Just Blew the Door Wide Open
Uncover the Reason
Skeleton Walls
Breathing Space
Backdoor
How Many More Times
Matte Kudasai
Industrial Complex
Ley Lines
Faceoff
New Blues Song (not sure of the name)
Test of Time
Do You Wanna
Meaning To Tell You
Wild Country
Burning Season
Kabbalah
Sex Machine
Hocus Pocus

Encore:
Don't Know What --> Bridge of Sighs --> Don't Know What.

This was my first time going to this venue, actually I've never heard of it. It might be pretty new, but I liked it. It was literally right on the water at the base of a pier. Too bad it was raining all day (a rare event around here) as I'm sure it is a beautiful place to walk around. It was also underground as you entered at ground level and walked down a flight of stairs to get to the bar/floor.

Before the show I had the absolute pleasure of meeting two great people, and longtime TR fans in Rob (DaRavyn) and Keith (GtrOpus). We got to hang out, and chat for a while, and sip on some drinks during the two opening acts, neither of which were anything worth mentioning.

Tim and gang took the stage and right off the bat it was awesome. First of all I love it when Tim incorporates costumes into his act, and took the stage wearing these crazy dentist/doctor goggles with lights (see pictures). The first two songs they played were Caveman and Victory Express which are my favorite two songs, and were a great HEAVY way to start the show. The boys are VERY tight together, much more so than on any recording I've heard. "How Many More Times" really brought the house down. The crowd was pretty good, I didn't hear a single call for Stream, or acoustic, or DMB or anything. Actually the crowd was really digging on the heavier tunes: Backdoor, Industrial Complex, Faceoff etc... Lots of dancing by the females in the crowd towards the end of the night especially during Sex Machine, and Hocus Pocus The encore was just sick how they went back into "Don't Know What" after Bridge of Sighs.

After the show and spending a few minutes chatting with Rob, Keith, and Fluffy, I'm happy to announce that Radiance was for sale after the show which I got and listened to on the drive home. (That is a whole different topic there...).

Perhaps the most exciting news of the night is that Keith recorded the entire set via a MATRIX hookup so we should get a wonderful recording.

Anyways, here are a few pictures:

and here are videos for Faceoff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ng4dMpm8Gw

and Hocus Pocus:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziXfYD6Z8s8

complete photo album for the night can be seen on my myspace page:
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=481462&albumId=3375546

god
Kevin

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  5:19:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OMG Keith was there! Damn, I'm mad at him for not telling me he was going! j/k Awesome that you got to meet both Keith and Rob. I met Rob at VA Beach and he took a lot of great pictures of TR3. Keith is a special friend......and I am still mad that he didn't tell me...LOL! Seriously, I am so glad he got to CA to hear TR3 although I know he heard them in NOLA. He is an awsome cameraman.

Thanks for the set list Kevin! I really have to meet you in person some day. I forget that I never met you before, seems like I have known you forever!

Skeleton Walls always makes me think of the first time I ever heard TR. I absolutely love Leelines and Kabbalah. Bet you were really blown away with Wild Country! Gosh, the whole set list is awesome. So happy you got to hear them! Are you also going to tonights show?

Thanks so much for posting this and also for the youtube and picture links. You have no idea how happy this made me! You rock Kevin!

Go to Top of Page

alewis525
Is Anybody Here?

1 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  6:05:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was able to snag Mick's setlist after the show, and what you (KevinLesko) listed is correct up until How Many More Times...except for:

- Breathing Space and Backdoor are listed before Uncover the Reason
- Industrial Complex is listed before How Many More Times

According to the written list, this was the order of things after the LZ cover:
Matte
Do You Wanna
Goin Insane
Test of Time
Face off
Wild
Meaning
Kaballa
Sex
Lee Lines
Burning
Hocus
-----
Don't

I agree the crowd seemed into Tim's stuff and was respectful, although I did hear one girl scream for Dancing Nancies several times toward the end. ;-)

This was my second time seeing Tim...I don't have many of his albums so I didn't know most of the music, but I loved it all. I have a question, though.

Is the song Breathing Space on any album? That was my favorite song of the night. I assume I have the correct title...he played it on the Strat and it's the song that came immediately before Backdoor. It was the first song that night where he really went nuts with the volume swells.

I asked someone at the merch booth about the song...he looked at a few CDs but then said he thought it was just a live-only track that hadn't yet been properly recorded or released.

Does anyone here know for sure?
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  6:23:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Live only, a recorded official copy can be found on Tim's Gossip of the Neurons album, and a bootleg video version on YouTube can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfz3BhDKSO8

Both, acoustic renditions. As an insane Tim fan, I can tell you, the definitive version is from the 5/5/03 Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds show, which can be obtained thru various avenues; and is absolutely incredible.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  12:58:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The song directly before Backdoor was indeed Breathing Space. BS is a fairly new one for TR3. Only started playing it together in Dec if memory serves. Setlist for tonite was:

Cave Man
Victory Express
See You In Your Dreams
By Your Side
The Wind Just Blew
Breathing Space
Backdoor
Uncover The Reason
Skeleton Walls
Industrial Complex
How Many More TIMes
Matte Kudasai
Do You Wanna
I'm Goin Insane
Test of TIMe
Face Off
Wild Country
Meaning To Tell You
Kabbalah
Sex Machine
Ley Lines
Burning Season
Hocus Poker
---------------
Don't Know What

Keith's recording will bear out the final results.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

powerglide
Is Anybody Here?

2 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  2:08:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First time poster! (Hi all!)
Just wanted to say that I was at the Brixton, all the way till the end. It was the best live performance I have ever seen.
I can't believe that:
-it was that good
-that the crowd was so small
-that he played nearly 3 hours
-that I almost frove down to Solana Beach to catch another show
Thank you for the pictures and video, they got me through the jonesing...
I'd really like to get a recording if anyone knows how I can get one, please let me know.
TR3 fan for life.
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2009 :  6:05:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
To my knowledge, GtrOpus from New Orleans recorded the show so it should show up very soon. Keep watching here for updates. PEACE

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

powerglide
Is Anybody Here?

2 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  6:56:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks!
(in this thread?)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: