FRONT ROW Seats for Alpine Valley!!!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2009 :  05:56:23 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Guys, the unthinkable happened! I WON Front Row seats for Alpine Valley!!!!!!

My local radio station 105.5 WMMM had a contest where they wanted you to re-write some of the lyrics in the Choruses of Funny the Way It Is. If yours were read on the air, you get tickets, but if Johnathan & Kitty (two of the main people there, and also the Morning team) liked yours the most, you won front row seats.

Well, I read the sections they wanted you to re-write, and I started to do it. Then I thought, "fuck this, I am re-writing the whole song!" So I wrote a whole parody song about Monty Python and the Holy Grail (while keeping in the rules for the Choruses). Then I went even farther! I recorded it, added Monty Python sound clips, put it to a CD, and drove down to the station!

Yesterday I got a call, it was Johnathan Suttin! I WON FRONT ROW SEATS!!!!!!! I am giddy as a school girl!!!!!!

Here's the audio: http://www.sendspace.com/file/dw4n62

Here are the lyrics:

Funny the Way They Use Coco-Nuts

Lying in England in a dark age
There was a man called Arthur with knights and some minstrels who play
God sent them on a quest of serious sorts
But this group was a bit odd galloping without a horse
Mr. Arthur fought a Black Knight To cross a bridge
Hacked all of his limbs off still he wouldn't quit
Robin was a man who wasn't quite brave
He peed himself during a battle
God, what a knave

Funny the way it is
Make you think about it
Somebody's wanting a shrubbery
And someone else is NI-ing loud
Funny the way it is
Not right or wrong
Somebody's using coco-nuts
And it becomes Spam-a-lot

Lancelot had an idiom with violent scenes
Man, this guy has problems, he needs an anger management team
Galahad had a castle full of virgin girls
Who all wanted a spanking, naughty naughty little girls

Funny the way it is
Make you think about it
One kid hits his head with a board
Another’s Bedivere
Funny the way it is
Not right or wrong
A soldiers flying off the bridge of death
His babies are part of an anarcho-syndicalist commune that people takes in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week.

Flying off a bridge
When you answer questions wrong
That old man is from scene 24
You know, the one who Gilliam was?
If your favorite color is blue
I wouldn't say it's green
Because then you will die in a very painfully yet funny scene

God in sky, why did he give this quest
Is he really such a blimey bastard to put Arthur to the test
I mean come on, those French men were odd
But can anyone deny how funny the flying cow was

Funny the way it is
Make you think about it
Somebody's wanting a shrubbery
And someone else is NI-ing loud
Funny the way it is
Not right or wrong
Somebody's using coco-nuts
And it becomes Spam-a-lot

Funny the way it is
Make you think about it
One kid hits his head with a board
Another’s Bedivere
Funny the way it is
Not right or wrong
A soldiers flying off the bridge of death
His babies are part of an anarcho-syndicalist commune that people takes in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week.

Flying off a bridge
When you answer questions wrong
That old man is from scene 24
You know, the one who Gilliam was?
If your favorite color is blue
I wouldn't say it's green
Because then you will die in a very painfully yet funny scene

Not communicating can hurt more than any word that can be said -

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2009 :  1:41:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Nick that is FANFUCKINTASTIC! I was ROTFLMAO Great work and congrats on the front row tix Enjoy the show!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2009 :  6:31:04 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you won and not one of the douches from Ants.
Go to Top of Page

bamadanni
Is Anybody Here?

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2009 :  7:14:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit bamadanni's Homepage  Send bamadanni an AOL message  Reply with Quote
OMG That is Brilliant!

Go to Top of Page

SEJK
Is Anybody Here?

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  09:26:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GuitarGuy305

I'm glad you won and not one of the douches from Ants.

oh the irony...right nick?!

congrats!
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  5:24:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The concert was amazing. I found out that not only was I in the front row, I was in the center section! Rashawn and Jeff were right in front of me, and I could see everyone onstage, even Carter in his HUGE drum kit.

Umphrey's were very good opening, but their soundman didn't do a great job on mixing their vocals. However, they were really into it, and never missed a note. Jeff Coffin came on for a song, and it was strange, since they used like a swell effect and a chorus on the mic. It almost sounded like a Synth, but it sounded great.

Then the Band came out, and it was so odd. It was as if everyone behind me disappeared. It felt like I was at the Barrymore Theater in town here and I was seeing a REALLY intimate show. The guy to my right was a really kewl guy (who I am going to get pictures from, since my DSi didn't want to take good pictures). The couple to my left next to my cousin were also really good people. No one around me was smoking, or getting drunk! YAY!!!!

Tim really stayed back for the show. He was really into it, but he never really stole the spotlight during the show. However, his playing was dead on for the whole show (not surprising, though ;) ) He used his red Flying V many times. I could see him joking and smiling with Boyd a lot.

I think the time off from the European tour and Alpine was good for Dave, since he was on key all night! Dave was . . . well . . . Dave! Funny, kooky, dancing like a fool, and just having a blast. Carter was his usual completely grinning self. He was just great during his intro to You Never Know (YNK, yay!), his intense solo on Two Step, his intro to Halloween, and of course the dueling of Jeff and Carter during #41. Rashawn was having trouble with his trumpet at first, but he went backstage and fiddled with it, and it was on key for the rest of the show. Jeff Coffin was great in the way he was starting to sound more appropriate for the band. His playing was smoother than I have heard him play since last year. I think he is finally really gelling with the band. Boyd was usual, stayed in back plucking his violin until he came out for his moments where he was just insane. He was also on key all night. No one except for Rashawn at the beginning hit a single wrong note. When they played Funny the Way It Is, something was going on between Jeff and Rashawn. They were laughing their asses off, and couldn't sing or play at times. It was hysterical. I wish I knew what they were laughing about.

The person that was on fire? Stefan! I couldn't take my eyes off him half the time. He was soooooooo into it! He really stole the stage for me, and I am a Guitarist and singer, not a Bass player (even though I can play it, it's not really my instrument). He seemed stronger than I ever seen before.

As for the songs, everyone of them was killer and never a let down.

Shake Me was even better than the album version.

Pig was great to see live (and the guy to my right was happy since he was holding a Pig sign . . . it didn't say PIG, it WAS a Pig!).

You Never Know was just great to hear live, better than the studio version, and Dave snapped a string, but didn't let it bother him.

Then, the Dreaming Tree, my second favorite song of all time came on. I can die now. Dave did some outro chords and a riff I never heard or seen him play before for the song. As I said earlier, Stefan was so amazing on this song.

You & Me was exceptionally better than the album. It is my least favorite off of BWGK (I don't hate it, though). Seeing it live now makes me appreciate it more.

Gravedigger was just intense.

Out of My Hands was different this time. Halfway through the song, Carter, Boyd, and Tim started to Join in. Then Stefan joined it, and it actually got intense! I never heard it like that before, and it was the best version I have ever heard.

I can see now why everyone loves Jeff on #41. This was one of the times were Tim stepped out a bit more than the rest of the show.

Dive In is now one of my favorite new songs because of this show. Boyd and Tim were amazing on it. Like I said, Tim stayed back, but still was able to be great.

Jimi Thing was funny because for the whole first verse, Dave didn't sing a word. The audience sang it for him.

Then Two Step . . . it would never end! Eventually, it was just carter for about 3-4 minutes.

Then, right before the Encore, the crowd started singing, "thank you for letting me be myself again," over and over. Eventually, the Band came out, and Dave just encouraged everyone to keep singing. They eventually went into it with the crowd still singing. You could tell this was not planned because Dave didn't even use the guitar they had left out for him, and eventually just had the guy take it away in mid song. He eventually just got away from the mic, took out his IEM ear plugs, and started just dancing around singing it without the mic.

Then, he got a different guitar and they went straight into a full band intense Halloween.

They guy to my right actually got a drumstick from carter (his sign also said CARTER WILL YOU HAND ME A DRUMSTICK?) . . . and this was not one of the many new ones they kept tossing out, but one used for the show, WITH teethmarks, lol. Boy was he Happy.

The greatest thing was just being so close to such iconic figures of today, it really shows you how real of people they are. How humble they really are, and it really makes you appreciate it all so much more.

I bet I will never have an experience like this again.

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  7:14:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was kind of waiting foy a review from you. I am so happy for you! You did a great job re-writing the lyrics.

Even though DMB isn't my taste in bands, I got a kick out of reading your review. Being up close makes all the difference in the world. I was row 2 (with no one in the seats in front of me) for a Peter Gabriel show. Tony Levin definitely communicated with me during the show.

You may never get row 1 again, but believe me, your feelings will last your lifetime. All I have to do is think of the PG show and I get a chill up my spine!

The only down side is once you have been up close and personal, reg seating just doesn't cut it! I am very picky about my seats now,LOL!

Again, I am so happy you, you definitely deserved to win that contest! BTW, what field are you going into? You should be a writer! Music warms the soul, for sure!
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  7:30:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
PJK, my dream is to be a musician. You should check out the two originals on my Youtube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/RantingThespian

There are also DMB songs, and a Nanci Griffith song up there too. There will be more originals, more dmb, and beatles, dylan, floyd, and more eventually.

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2009 :  10:52:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PJK

Even though DMB isn't my taste in bands, I got a kick out of reading your review. Being up close makes all the difference in the world. I was row 2 (with no one in the seats in front of me) for a Peter Gabriel show. Tony Levin definitely communicated with me during the show.

You may never get row 1 again, but believe me, your feelings will last your lifetime. All I have to do is think of the PG show and I get a chill up my spine!

This is what I think about every time I check PGs website for tourdates, only to be let down. I keep thinking, my turn will come! And then I can discuss it with Pam forever and ever.

Enjoy the show Nick. I'm sure it will be amazing.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2009 :  8:20:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arthen

. . . Enjoy the show Nick. I'm sure it will be amazing.

Obviously you didn't notice I already posted the review of the show. It was last sunday.

However, yes I enjoyed it. Also, it was more than amazing!

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000