New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MoonHawk
Is Anybody Here?

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2001 :  7:54:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did not know what tim looked like a couple of years ago when the commercial ran. It is just a guy playing the acoustic guitar as the camera keeps getting closer to him. It was a good riff. Later after I got Nomatic Wavelengths the song Try A Little Harder made me think of the riff in the commercial. IS IT TIM? If not does anybody know who it was.

Not to touch the earth

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2001 :  8:04:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I can't imagine it was him. He is staunchly opposed to corporate sponsorship. People have tried in the past but to no avail. I think the only people he would endorse or let sponsor him are POSSIBLY NORML or Starbucks. He is much more likely to lend his name to a worthy cause. Check out the charities he supports. I think they are on the links page. NOPE its actually the HELP OUT link on the HOME page. Even Martin Guitars offered him a signature model and he turned it down. He was happy to tell people what model he played but he didn't want to put his name on it. I think in DMB days he was sponsored by Mesa Boogie and then found he really like MARSHALL more so that kinda soured him on lending your name to stuff. You sometimes get tied to a product that you may change your mind about or find something you like more, then what do you do. I am pretty sure his only TV appearances are the occasional glimpse in a DMB video, VH1 Storytellers, and of course CRAIG KILBORN.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

MoonHawk
Is Anybody Here?

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2001 :  8:21:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply and thanks not slamming me! I did think it was like something tim would do. Considering exactly the charities he supports and his political views. But the piece in commercial did sound a little like Try a little harder from what I remember. Hey Martin is a great guitar. I just got one and it sounds so good. TONE! But I understand tims view and I wish all people, including myself could be as strong. Fluffy are you playing guitar at all now? I read what you said about your dad and I would like to hear him play.

Not to touch the earth
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2001 :  8:24:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Our dad doesn't play too much any more because of tendonitis (sp?) in his hand. It's a total bummer.

teri

http://www.honolulumarathon.org (I ran under that sign!)
Go to Top of Page

MoonHawk
Is Anybody Here?

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2001 :  8:44:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That means FLUFFY is free to PLAY. PLAY ON Fluffy!!! Hey I saw that Moterhead OZZY concert too. But I did not get to meet Lemmy that is 2COOL. But remember to this day how randy dropped my jaw!

Not to touch the earth
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2001 :  10:02:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Moonhawk, Randy was amazing! He blew me away every nite. He was a very quite and humble person, very much like TR. I remember thinking that when I first met TR and saw him play. I remember thinking this guy is one of those super talents, but you would never know it to talk to him or hang out with him. So down to earth. He was a great loss to the music world. I cried.
On a happier note, I have actually started looking into playing the guitar again. I have 2 but they are both out of my possession. I am trying to get them back or get them replaced. Hopefully I will start my GUITAR career very soon. I was just talking to my dad about digging up all his old records so I can transfer them to CD for him. If that ever happens I will be more than happy to share the wealth. He was and still is a very amazing guitar player and person. He came and saw Tim and was just amazed. He called it thinking outside the box for a guitar player, which I thought was a pretty kewl way to put it. TR is definitely WAY OUTSIDE THE BOX, in my opinion.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2001 :  04:06:29 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Did you say Tim probably WOULD endorse Starbucks? Seems like most people (including me) piss on that place because they have become such a huge corporation and they shit on tradition, kicking out the family shops and putting in stores even when the towns are against them. Heck there is even a South Park episode about it. Plus those bastards charge 5 bucks for a cup of damn coffee, AND THEY DIDNT EVEN HAVE GIFT CIRTIFICATES WHEN I WANTED TO GET MY SISTER A GIFT!!! AHHHHHHH

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2001 :  07:21:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunate as it is, Starbucks becomes home when we are on the road. It is the only place T'n'T are positive of the cup of coffee they will get. It really is important to those guys. First thing in the morning in every city, while checking out of the hotel I must get directions to the nearest Starbucks. There is a heavy sigh(in stereo) when I have to announce that there is no Starbucks in this town. So corporateness aside, I think TR would do it just for the free coffee all day long. As corporate as they are, he really does stand behind the quality of the coffee. Again, like music, coffee is a personal choice. So if you hate Starbucks coffee, don't give them shit. They just want something they can count on and be sure of each morning. Free coffee is free coffee, especially at $5 a cup. Is that so much to ask. I think NORML support speaks for itself. Thanx for your attention, thats the news, I am Chevy Chase, and you're not!!

ps: Does anyone know what it says in sharpie on the side of TR's coffee thermos?

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2001 :  1:58:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You'd think that Tim would live for playing Seattle, then, since that's where Starbucks HQ is...

http://www.honolulumarathon.org (I ran under that sign!)
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2001 :  6:07:23 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if other Starbucks do this, but the one near me has an open mic night every month....if so, Tim should stop by one some time, and blow everyone away! :)

Adam

There's a lot more to music than notes on a page.

I am Ion, the priest of the inner sanctuary. I submit myself to an unendurable torment. I dismembered myself, and I have become spirit.

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2001 :  9:04:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
written on the side of TR's thermos in sharpie:

IGGY POP JUICE

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Black Lotus
Fluffy-Esque

Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
1043 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2001 :  9:49:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Black Lotus's Homepage  Send Black Lotus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Y'know ... I was a reall big fan of Dave Navarro until I saw him on that GAP commercial. C'mon man, supporting a sweatshop? That's lame. I haven't been that crazy about him since.

Corporate sponsorships sucks, and so does corporate rock.

-----------------------
Look ma, new signature!

For more information, visit: http://www.freepeltier.org
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2001 :  10:18:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of "Corporate Rock Sucks" Iggy Pop has a song called Weasels on his new album called Beat 'em Up. The song is about all the Weasels in the world including record company WEASELS. If you do not have this CD already and you are a fan of Stooges period Iggy Pop, I highly recommend getting this CD. TR recommended it to me right b4 I left for the Greg Howard shows in NYC and Jon Soldos house. We listened to it on the way back to Jon's house after the 2nd show. We both thought it was awesome. It sounds like a 70's band recorded to day. It also reminded me of Astral Projection alot in its riffage. I highly recommend checking it out if you are a early Iggy fan. If you don't know if you are an early Iggy fan, I can also tell you if you love Astral Projection you will love Beat 'em Up. Imagine Astral Projection with Iggy singing instead of Tim. Way KEWL!!!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000