Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 "Home is Where You Get Across" and CW Challenge
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  11:53:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey I was wondering if anyone had handy the lyrics for Chris Whitley's "Home is Where You Get Across"? (I think he wrote it) Perhaps I will be forced to enjoy listening and writing them down myself!

Secondly, as you know, November 20th is the 4 year anniversary of CW's passing. For the month of November, how about we have a little "contest" for best Chris Whitley cover? We can all video tape ourselves playing one of his songs. We can all share them here! I think it would be a touching way for us to remember the man who's music touched us all so deeply. Not to mention it will give this board some action. I have a show on November 19th and I plan on playing a few of his songs. I RARELY play covers so this is really special to me, I can't wait to play some CW for people.

Anyway, what do you guys think? no pressure, let's have fun, and if we get enough maybe we can have a vote on the "best" or "most touching" cover. I don't know, just an idea. Extra cedit for using a steel guitar!

(I am also trying to get booked in NYC with Dan Whitley (chris' brother) on November 20th, Regardless if I perform or not I will be there to see Dan play. His voice is amazing and him and his brother have the same, heart felt girth & soul in their voices. If you are in NYC, come check Dan out!

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  1:25:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'll try doing Fireroad for Two or Breath of Shadows if I can figure it out for guitar.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  3:09:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hope you can do the show with me!
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  6:26:48 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Weird, I was messing around with some open tunings the other day and came up with a cover of I Forget You Everyday. I recorded it and was going to share it on here but chickened out. Maybe I'll now just videotape myself playing it for this occasion.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  11:30:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man, I wish I had a way to record! I'd be willing to do audio, but I'm too hideous looking to do video.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  11:45:48 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arthen

Man, I wish I had a way to record! I'd be willing to do audio, but I'm too hideous looking to do video.

My video will definitely not be high quality. The only means I have to record is my Sony digital camera...just like Dave's only mine isn't pink!
Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2009 :  08:25:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arthen

...but I'm too hideous looking to do video.

HAHA!
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2009 :  08:46:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You guys are total dicks! Lol

I bought that shitty iFlip camera that does HD, you only get 2 hours of recording time, but it's pretty good video.

Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2009 :  10:42:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like using my little Sony camera to grab the video/audio then I remove the video and just burn the audio on a cd. Its quick and easy and sounds good especially for solo acoustic stuff.
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  2:43:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's official I am opening for Dan Whitley on November 20th at Googies in NYC! YAY!!!
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  6:52:19 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rubylith

It's official I am opening for Dan Whitley on November 20th at Googies in NYC! YAY!!!

That's great! I wish I could make it out there!
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2009 :  11:18:38 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Anyone record anything yet? I was thinking of doing Power Down too, but I have no clue what he plays during the bridge. Does anyone know that whole song that can help me out?
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2009 :  8:20:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's funny that you mention that, because the bridge was always the part that I kind of improvised my way through. I never figured it out perfectly, but it sounded okay. Just sing louder. The problem may have been, I always try to figure out a way to play his songs in standard tuning.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  7:27:00 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I usually just play my own thing there too, but just wondered if anyone knew what Chris actually played.

I think Power Down is one of few CW songs that is actually in standard tuning.
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2009 :  07:27:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey doods, I know this guy Hiroshi from the Dust Forums, he has a channel on youtube now where he plays a bunch of Chris tunes, including Power Down. Check him out!

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=rustradio#p/u/10/SIknVYLQArI

Still working on Fireroad. I am determined to rage it tho.

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2009 :  1:10:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiroshi's stuff is so awesome! His work on CW's catalog is unbelievable. I remember his invaluable tunings when I lurked around the Dust Forums.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2009 :  2:05:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sooooooooo..........

I played a CW song last Thursday without writing any of the chords down and without practicing. It was ok, but I kind of think it sucks..so i will nto be releasing that version. Then Friday I opened for Dan Whitley and I was too nervous to play a CW song in front of him, I didn't want to make him feel weird, it was the anniversary of his dear brother's passing, so I kind of felt like perhaps I might have made the guy upset, so I decided to stick to my set.

Regardless though a few odd things happened at the show...

In the place I swear I saw Erich from the TR board, but it turned out not to be him. I was like, weird that guy looks JUST like him. Well about two hours later we left the club to find our car and who do we see on the road? ERICH! So crazy and random!

Then we got to our car and had a parking ticket, DOH! Well I said, "I bet that parking ticket is for the same amount of money that I made in tips tonight"...Well, we opened the ticket and I pulled out a wad of singles and fives and sure enough, it was exactly $65. CRAZY!

Anyway Dan rocked and I rocked and a lot of great people came out, I will always remember it. We had such fun!
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  7:49:43 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Me and my buddy Jason playing Power Down at a gig in Iowa City:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6AgliN0Pbw
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  11:48:25 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Love it!!!!

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  12:27:54 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
A quick recording I did of New Lost World with my new digital recorder. I bought it to record ideas, etc when writing/messing around and played this song to check out how good the quality was. I thought it turned out pretty decent other than my dog barking at one point and my wife having the TV blaring at the end...

http://www.mediafire.com/?h6hd6f8vnsn80vy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000