06/08/06 Wakarusa Day 1 Lawrence, KS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2006 :  01:39:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Day 1 Campground Stage 5:30-6:45

(As always, this is the setlist as it was printed in front of TR, the corrected setlist is posted further down in this thread)

(Setlist titled:)Soft And Tenderly

Dorothy WakeUp
Come Together
Hug
The Truth
Indoctrinate
Intermediate Chaotic States

Flourescence
Ancestors I & II
(Arroyo?)
Hold On
Stream
You Don't Know ?-Revolution All Around

Natural Mystic or Loose Enterp
All You Need
Kundalini OR Cold Sweat

So, that is how the list appeared in front of TR, now I will clarify.

TR played Arroyo, he also played Revolution All Around. He did not get to Loose Enterp and he opted for Cold Sweat over Kundalini. Kundalini was not played.

WOW, WOW, WOW it was a blistering set. One of the best I have seen. TR was in rare form and having so much fun. He even had one of his famous "eppies" on stage. Luckily, the show was shot on vid from 2 cameras and these guys are friends of Marcus' friends Kev and Ian. Kev is the one in possession of all the board recordings from the past CA run and should be sending them out to me very soon. So I am sure we will see the footage of this first Wakarusa set. It was a beautiful day, it started out at about 94 degrees and sunny but by the TIMe TR played it cooled off a bit. The campground tent was PACKED and the audience only got bigger as the show went on which we aren't really used to. The audience absolutely loved the show. They were respectful and enthusiatic. The sang along with Come Together and All You Need is Love. From my side of the experience, the crew at Wakarusa were very professional and took great care of us. They were all really friendly and helpful. Keep in mind it was the first day, let's see how they are holding up on day 4. LOL The food in the catering tent was awesome and as far as festivals go it seemed well put together and quite organized for such a LARGE affair. Really looking foward to tomorrow where we play on the BIG stage in the BIG tent. Hopefully the word will spread about todays performance and it will be packed tomorrow as well.

As for the songs you don't recognize, let me clarify. New songs:

666(song with vocals that I am told was kind of inspired by Come To Daddy. If TR hadn't told me this I would have asked because it reminded me of it in a way I can't really explain.)

The Truth (song with Vocals that has a hint of reggae flavor and lots of instrumental sections. YUMMY!)

Ancestors I & II (this was my fave of the new songs. AWESOME, I was blown away by this one. Absolutely beautiful! Pt 1 has a vocal and Pt 2 is instrumental and just mind blowing. As TR played it I wasn't sure it was the same song or 2 different ones but TR assured me it was 2 parts of the same song. TR also said that this one was inspired by a photo he saw in the Corporate Avenger CD. This song has the same feel to me as tribal indian drumming. When I mentioned this to TR was very excited. If you are not sure what I mean you will just have to wait until you hear the song, I am not sure I can explain it. This was the first TIMe all 3 of these were played. TR told me he has been......whoa whoa whoa, let me back up..........)

........On this past run thru CA, while we were in SF, we took TR to Guitar Center and he bought some mics and a preamp and has rigged up a recording studio in his home studio. He told me that this has been a wellspring for him creatively. He can now record as the feeling, mood or idea strikes him. He says it has been a boon for him. Also, you may have noticed that all three of the new songs are songs with vocals. I remember a TIMe when TR never considered vocals as an option for him with the acoustic guitar. Now he is writing lots of ACOUSTIC songs with vocals and is really enjoying it. He said that all the covers he had been doing lately had helped to make him feel more confident about his voice with the acoustic and with the new recording setup he was able to try it out and find that he was happy with the outcome. I can't convey to you how excited he gets when he talks about it and the songs are really great as well. I can't wait to see what he breaks out tomorrow.

So after TR's set we had a little promo scheduled which was a podcast that was recorded for Relix magazine. We headed over to the artists lounge and catering to catch a bite of dinner(which did I mention was fantastic). Mike(Relix magazine) and his crew showed up around 8pm and I expected we would be wisked off to a tent with some elaborate recording set up blah blah blah but instead we walked out to the woods behind the artist lounge area and set up a couple of chairs and set up a couple of mics and BOOM small interview and 2 solo acoustic performances. Indoctrinate and Betrayal. TR also dedicated Betrayal to John Kerry and after the session I asked him about that and he said that actually was the inspiration for that song. I had never known that. Well I don't know if it was the setting, out in the trees, no stage, no audience(aside from the 6 of us)but it was MAGICAL. TR just sang and played out into the air, under the setting sun with just a guitar, truly acoustic and it was, did I mention it before, MAGICAL. Coincedentally, the audio was recorders for Relix podcasts were also Kev and Ian's friends who I mentioned above so it was also captured on video as they also brought their camera along. The podcast should be up soon on both Relix magazines website and iTunes very soon. Special Thanx to Relix magazine, Mike and Joel for taking the TIMe to spend some quality TIMe with TR and myself. I will pass on the links to the podcast as soon as I get them from Mike. So you know, I was so moved by the beauty of the moment and the setting I took some pictures of the interview and performance for the podcast. Sadly, I didn't take any during the set on the Campground stage as it was so crowded and area between the stage and barracade was crowded with press and Wakarusa staff photographers. Suffice it to say LOTS of pics were taken of TR during that performance. Hopefully they will surface on the net at some point. And remember the whole set was shot on 2 cameras by Kev and Ian's friends so at some point you will all get to see it. Well a long day in the sun really takes it out of you and I have to save myself for tomorrow and of course Saturday. TR is not playing saturday but we are sticking around to check out The Flaming Lips. We are both really excited. TR probably a bit more than me as I have seen them numerous TIMes before but this will be TR's first LIPS experience. Plus, I may stick around and check out Govt Mule on the last day. Heck I am here, seems like I should stick around for it after driving 19 hours to get here yesterday. I talked to them today and they won't even get here until Sat someTIMe and I want to see them again. I just saw them in NYC about 2 weeks ago and they were awesome. I was able to pull some strings and get myself into their showcase at the Bowery Ballroom where they played 2 sets including their entire new album that comes out in August. It sounds like it's going to be a GREAT album. I talked to them at that show and told them I was gonna be at Wakarusa in a few weeks with TR and they said to make sure we say HI. Today I gave them a weather report, seems they have been battling rainy weather for the last few shows and I was happy to report it was beautiful at Wakarusa and they better not bring the bad weather with them. We'll see what happens! Peace OUT!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson

jsemon2
Yak Addict

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2006 :  02:31:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit jsemon2's Homepage  Send jsemon2 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
very nice review

OUT FOR LUNCH
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2006 :  03:54:18 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Wow wow wow. I don't even know where to begin, so I'm just going to go to bed, and I'll read that again in the morning and try to come up with some kind of reply.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Robin
Yak Addict

USA
598 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2006 :  12:46:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fluffy, that may well be the best review ever!Thanks for posting and capturing what sounds like,(as you said), a magical time.I'm so happy for TR, and thrilled to her he's doing more vocals, because I love how his voice has gotten so much richer everyTIMe I have seen him. Hugs to you, Rew and TR, have a wonderful show tonight as well and enjoy the rest of the days...Peace, Robin
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2006 :  11:19:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
(REVISED SETLIST after listening to the OnDemand recording they are selling onsite of the Day 1 show. Unfortunately they told me disc 2 would not finalize or something so they only had the first 58 minutes of the show for us today. Disc 1 is tracked 1-12 as follows, everything after that is on Disc 2 that didn't work. LUCKILY, they also multi-tracked show they are going to try and get disc 2 to us tomorrow with the rest of the set on it. We also got a copy of todays set which I have not listened to yet, its next when I finish this disc. Todays show fit all on one disc. That setlist will be posted in the thread for Wakarusa Day 2. Special thanx to Joe and Digger and all of their crew for the hard work and wonderful job they did capturing the TR shows. I am told that the shows will be available for purchase online in the very-not-too-distant future. It may only be for a very limited TIMe. The shows come in nice printed Wakarusa covers with Wakarusa art printed on the CD's. Full color, NICE JOB!! More details to follow when they are available.

(Setlist titled:)Soft And Tenderly

01)Dorothy WakeUp
02)Come Together
03)Hug--->Bach/Segovia piece
04)666
05)The Truth
06)Indoctrinate
07)Intermediate Chaotic States--->Skull & Bones

08)Flourescence
09)Ancestors Pt I & Pt II
10)Arroyo
11)Hold On
12)Stream--->Kashmir--->You Don't Know
Revolution All Around

Natural Mystic
All You Need
Cold Sweat

(NOTE TO DIGGER: The show sounds AWESOME! For your knowledge the recording level seems a little low as even when I turn the speakers on my computer all the way up it's still pretty quiet. I haven't listened to it on any other player so not sure if it's just my computer. All the other noises my computer makes thru these speakers are excruciating loud at the level I am listening to it at. Just so ya know! PEACE and THANX again, it was great seeing you as well.)

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2006 :  4:21:30 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
OK, so if the news of new songs, new studio equipment, new interviews, and new pictures weren't enough, now there is news of official recordings of TR's Wakarusa sets being available????

Fluffy, your description of the interview in the woods sounds awesome. Can't wait to see those pictures.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  12:36:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Whoohoo, Relix has posted the podcast. It is located at the following link: www.relix.com/radio

You can try and download it there or you go to iTunes and find it in the podcast section under Cold Turkey powered by Relix Radio. It's Cold Turkey 552

Special Thanx to Benjy and Mike, Cold Turkey and Relix Magazine for taking TIMe out give TR the opportunity to do this podcast.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  6:39:18 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Saw this posted on the Wakarua website:

Merch and Live Sets

Online store opening soon with great festival merch and nearly 70 sets of great music from Wakarusa 2006.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2006 :  08:03:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
From JamBase.com :

Words by Nathan Rodriguez & Brian Heisler
Photo by Pamela Martinez

WALKIN' THE LINE AT WAKARUSA 2006

Thursday, June 8th

Strolling into the Tim Reynolds set, concertgoers were greeted by a clattering of effects reminiscent of an old church organ. These layers were gradually stripped away as Reynolds ventured out for a brief solo before sliding nicely into "Shake." The set was exactly what many have come to expect from the sultan of the six-string: extraordinary technical prowess with a variety of ideas and themes running throughout the hour-long performance. At times an Eastern sound, much like a sitar, would provide a boost, while at other times Reynolds would revert back to digital looping and effects to provide a broader sound. He even ventured into traditional Spanish territory, furiously picking and strumming along while blending in perfectly with the DiMeola, McLaughlin & DeLucia acoustic masterpiece, "Friday Night in San Francisco". And at just the moment when the music threatened to become stale, Reynolds would throw a lifeline to the audience with a choice cover like James Brown's "Sex Machine," which drew a warm response. Overall, it was a very satisfying set that provided further proof that Tim Reynolds remains at the top of his game as one of the premier guitarists today.

This is an excerpt from the full story. To see the full story please click the following link:

http://www.jambase.com/headsup.asp?storyID=8679

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2008 :  2:36:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Come Together from Day 1 of Wakarusa:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG5A2JkSm8Y

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000