Show Reviews
 09/18/07 Satellite Ballroom Charlottesville, VA
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ms
Is Anybody Here?

19 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  09:28:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit ms's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey, I get to start a thread!

On behalf of Houston and myself, I'd like to thank Tim, Fluffy, Tim for the wonderful experience of playing at last night's concert. Tim, as usual, played amazing stuff -- the guitars (particularly the six-string) sounded rich and beautiful in the challenging acoustical enviroment of Satellite Ballroom. Not nearly as many people as at the two previous Starr Hill shows we've done. It wasn't advertised well, and the venue is somewhat out of the way compared to Starr Hill.

Apologies to anyone who was there for the out-of-tune piano. When playing acoustic piano music, I generally prefer the vibe of a real instrument. When I heard that SB had an upright Yamaha, I decided to eschew lugging my heavy electric gear around in my state-of-the-technology, moth-eaten blanket case. (PJK and DirtySloth know of what I speak.) That said, I loved playing up there -- Houston sang his ass off and I was enjoying it as much as a listener as I did as a player. The audience, as usual, was very welcoming and kind. Attentive and appreciative. Thank you all so much.

There were folks I haven't seen for years in the green room, so I was not out front for most of Tim's set. But it sounded fantastic from where I was. We were all laughing and digging what Fluffy told us was a song about a haircut. Funny, quirky, and pretty badassed, actually. "Stream" just vibrated the walls in the green room. Just lovely. I'm hoping DS or someone more familiar with Tim's oeuvre will post a more detailed Tim review and setlist. I wandered out behind the board just as Tim was working pieces of Afterglow into a very dynamic and interesting piece. (As PJK alluded to the other day, I'm a hopeless Genesis fanboy, planning to see them this Sunday in DC, as a matter of fact.)

And file this under some provision of Murphy's Law:

I put a friend on the guest list who has one of those Zoom portable digital recorders with built-in mic. At soundcheck, Fluffy told me that the sound guy was gonna do a board recording. Sweet. So, I caught up with my friend and told him just to enjoy the concert and not to worry about recording. He even said, "well, it's out in the car..." And I'm thinking "hmmmm...I wonder if we should have a backup ....NAH, it's a hassle for my friend, we'll be fine."

Well, you know the rest of the story. We played a good set, Tim was crushing, and Tim's encore was a duet between the two of us of what must have been close to a 10 minute take on the late, great Joe Zawinul's "In a Silent Way." One of the highest moments of my life. High-level playing with a musical genius who happens to be one of my oldest and closest friends, playing to honor our musical hero (Tim named his son, Josef, after Zawinul) in the downstairs of the club where we met when he sat in on a gig I was on in 1983. The music was so good, that I was barely aware of the physicality of my playing -- one of those zone moments you shoot for and only sometimes attain. I haven't shared an improvisational moment like that with another musician since, well, maybe the last time with Tim, many years ago.

Fluffy: "Hey, man. I just listened to the finalized discs and there's nothing on them." I plan to pop them in the computer today, but I doubt there's any data on them.

Oh well, it was an offering to JZ, sent into the ether. Kind of appropriate, actually. (At least I'm telling myself that -- LOL.) I felt his spirit up there, big time.

Thanks, again.

MS.

Houston & Mike setlist;

On the Matter of Coping
All Along the Watchtower
Fire and Rain
Miller's Matrix (solo piano)
Isn't it a Pity?
The Weight

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  09:37:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ouch. That sounds like a breathtaking show. I'll be keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed that something comes up for a recording.

The more I think of it, the more bummed I am about this not being recorded. I force just about everyone I know to listen to "Common Margins". It really is probably in my top 5 all-time albums. Genius.

And to think I'll never hear one of the most inspired musical connections between the two...

AAAGGGHHH!!!
Go to Top of Page

Penguins66
Is Anybody Here?

20 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  7:36:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Penguins66 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Any chance we can get Tim's setlist for this one? I thought it was a great show.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  7:50:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Penguins. Fluffy will post the setlist shortly, whenever he can get to a computer.

Hey Mike, that set looks awesome! I hope Fluffy was able to make those discs work. I'd love to hear your set and Tim's.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  8:11:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Shit, I wanna hear the hell out of this!!!

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

ms
Is Anybody Here?

19 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  8:40:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit ms's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just now checked all three discs. Each disc shows the one continuous track you'd expect -- lasting the duration of that disc's recording time. But in each case, there is nothing recorded.

I probably shouldn't say that I told my friend who came down with one of those Zoom all-in-one portable recorders that he didn't need to bring it in because there was a board recording being made.

I should have listened to the little voice in my head that said, "might as well have a backup." If it's any comfort, my friend said that the noise from the overhead HVAC system would have seriously marred any recording he would have been able to make.
Go to Top of Page

ms
Is Anybody Here?

19 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  8:42:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit ms's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To clarify -- these are the discs that Fluffy handed me to see if there was anything on them.
Go to Top of Page

Penguins66
Is Anybody Here?

20 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  9:27:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Penguins66 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's too bad. It would have been nice to have a recording of these two sets. I really enjoyed them a lot.
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2007 :  09:13:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, ya know I wanted to be there. Really sorry it wasn't recorded. I would really have liked to have heard the encore!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  3:53:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ah, fuck.

Go to Top of Page

HerHippieIam
Is Anybody Here?

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  4:03:05 PM  Show Profile  Send HerHippieIam an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Okay first off I would like to say as I'm sure we all know Tim is awesome. Now I have recorded this particular show and got a fairly decent one. I have also already cut it to disc for my own personal use I would be more than happy to share with anyone. Also I have recordings of Starr Hill Music Hall of Tuesday April 3rd, 2007 and Fitzpatrick Hall @ Jefferson Center Roanoke September 19th, 2007. Again would gladly share. Mike you and Houston were awesome loved every minute. Again before I finish Tim rocks!!!

In reference to the recordings I've made I would like to pre-apologize for any chatter heard on them the recorder was in my shirt pocket for convenience.

"If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set then we'd have peace" -- John Lennon

(\__/)
(+'.'+)
(")_(") This is the bunny o' doom he shall be the master of all.
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  5:56:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OMG, HerHippieIam, YOU ARE WONDERFUL!!!!!

I just emailed Mike, he is going to be So f*n happy!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!

OH and welcome to the board!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

HerHippieIam
Is Anybody Here?

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  6:15:00 PM  Show Profile  Send HerHippieIam an AOL message  Reply with Quote
No problem always glad to help.

"If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set then we'd have peace" -- John Lennon

(\__/)
(+'.'+)
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  6:23:49 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
yahooo! what great news that the show was recorded! Do you know how to put it up on the Archive?

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

HerHippieIam
Is Anybody Here?

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  6:27:57 PM  Show Profile  Send HerHippieIam an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Nope. Please instruct me and I will be happy to.

(\__/)
(+'.'+)
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  6:38:12 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
here is the website: http://www.archive.org/details/etree

and here are instructions from the website: http://www.archive.org/iathreads/uploaded-files/Tyler-Uploading_to_LMA_2007-08-06_final.pdf

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

HerHippieIam
Is Anybody Here?

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  6:47:11 PM  Show Profile  Send HerHippieIam an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thank You so much. I'll have it up ASAP.

(\__/)
(+'.'+)
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  6:50:56 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
no, thank you!!!!

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

HerHippieIam
Is Anybody Here?

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  8:33:14 PM  Show Profile  Send HerHippieIam an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If anybody out there has the setlist for this concert it would be appreciated there are several songs I have no idea their names and don't really feel like seeming a dolt for using Unknown #X for the ones I don't know so...thanks if you have the setlist. I would like to have it before I upload but if not that's fine it can always be fixed. Still so happy I could be such a help.

(\__/)
(+'.'+)
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  9:25:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fluffy will have the set list. This tour is over so hopefully he will have some time between tours to put up the set list. He is really good about doing that for us, and putting up reviews. There are a number of shows that have no reviews and I am sure he will at least put up the set lists for them as well.

He is usually on line early in the morning. If we are lucky, he might even get on line tonight (early Monday morning).

I know I speak for everyone here that it will be worth the wait for you to get it on the archives. We thought it was lost forever!

I wish I knew who you are because I was at the show in April and recorded it too on video. Should I get to C'ville again, I will have to meet you! Again THANK YOU for coming on the board and sharing with us! You have no idea how happy you have made so many of us! I can't wait for Mike to find out it was taped! He still hasn't replied to my email which means he hasn't been on line tonight yet.

Go to Top of Page

HerHippieIam
Is Anybody Here?

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  9:48:53 PM  Show Profile  Send HerHippieIam an AOL message  Reply with Quote
PJK my name is Nathan Jones and I live about 45mins out of Charlottesville in a little town called Elkton. It would be a pleasure to meet you. I do not see a problem in sharing such info because I don't think anybody on the message board here is the type of person to hunt me down and kill me especially after this whole C'ville thing. Which again makes me happy to share with you all.

(\__/)
(+'.'+)
Go to Top of Page

ms
Is Anybody Here?

19 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  12:38:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit ms's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nathan -- thank you so much. I emailed you via this board. Please don't respond directly to it, as my address has changed. I put my current address in the body of the email.

I really can't thank you enough.
Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  12:42:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think any of us can thank him enough!
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  8:02:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Once again...FUCKIN' RIGHTEOUS!

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  8:07:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sorry guys, been helluva busy. I am already on my next tour but saw this thread and felt like I might be holding up progress by not at least posting the setlist from that nite. I will still type up my full review when I have the TIMe to do it justice. In the meanTIMe, here is the setlist so at least Nathan can start spreading the LUV!

The Whimmer Returns -

Ghosts of Desire Hovering In Space
Betrayal
You Are My Insanity
Che
The Truth
Wall Socket
To Ride Time The Machine
Space Trolls Looking For Space Change
---------------------------------------
Sincmeritox
Ancestors
Belly of the Beast
Healing of the Notions
Strom Thermos
----------------------------------------
Space Space Partol
Impermanence
Chatterbox
To The Next
Smells So Meat?
Very Many Notes Out of the Body Quickly With No Forethought
------------------------------------------
(Well?)
(Doom?)
(Ocean?)

Mike & Houston and Little Green Men

Strom Thermos is obviously Stream and if memory serves Afterglow instumentally was the bit in the middle. As for the rest, thats how the setlist looked and I seem to recall it was fairly accurate. Now with more than a week I am a bit hazy on the setlist details. Sadly I thought it was recording so I wasn't committing it to memory as well as I should have. The recording will bear out the actual setlist but this is pretty close. ENJOY! Can't wait to hear the recording. THANX for recording and sharing with everyone Nathan!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

HerHippieIam
Is Anybody Here?

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  12:00:12 AM  Show Profile  Send HerHippieIam an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Again sincerely happy to be of help. ^_^

(\__/)
(+'.'+)
Go to Top of Page

HerHippieIam
Is Anybody Here?

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  12:37:20 PM  Show Profile  Send HerHippieIam an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am currently in the process of uploading the concert as soon as it's finished I'll repost. Sorry about the delay adjusting to permanent graveyard shift at work. It's in three parts for now.

(\__/)
(+'.'+)
Go to Top of Page

HerHippieIam
Is Anybody Here?

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  5:27:13 PM  Show Profile  Send HerHippieIam an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sorry about the massive delay everyone. Been really busy of late. The show is now up any questions, comments, suggestions, or requests will be responded to as timely as possible. Again really happy to help and hope everyone enjoys I know I have.

(\__/)
(+'.'+)
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2007 :  6:31:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
originally posted by gnome44(THANK YOU!)

gnome44 said:
quote:
Kind of a mixed review...but pretty interesting. I don't think this has been mentioned here yet.

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/music/concerts/49541/tim-reynolds/

Tim Reynolds

18 September 2007: Satellite Ballroom — Charlottesville, VA

For Tim Reynolds, playing in his former hometown at a venue that didn’t exist during his residency must be something of a surreal experience. Five years ago, he performed at an ancient and astonishingly greasy bar a few blocks northeast of the Satellite Ballroom—it was his first homecoming show in years. Enthused by Reynolds’ 1999 double-disc with Dave Matthews, Live at Luther College, area college students turned out for the occasion slightly drunk, fully bekhakied, and ready for an evening of frat-tastic acoustic tunes.

But Reynolds hit the stage wearing a gas mask and started heaving industrial metal without so much as a word. Watching the look of horror gradually wash over the unsuspecting Pi Kappa Alpha lads like a plague of locusts was quite a spectacle, and by the end of the night, the packed house had dwindled to two rows of converts. The poor guy actually thanked them for staying.

Thanks to a string of regional appearances over the course of the last year, there were no such misfires this time around. Reynolds’ current tour does indeed lean to the acoustic side, but almost nobody from the DMB fan base turned out; instead, the audience consisted mostly of grungy young males, most of whom seemed to be guitarists themselves and thus knew the perfect superlatives to heap upon him.

Reynolds is a small, vaguely impish man, so his fretboard moves, though entirely inhuman, still seemed in character—nimble and mischievous, that is, and just a little magical. The raw speed and unmatched precision he displays on an electric guitar were unchanged on the acoustic, despite its reputation as a slower instrument, and his sharp melodic runs disappeared into the night just as readily. What little space remained between notes was soon filled by their disembodied auras: growling volume swells, ringing harmonics, and throbbing quarter-note echoes.

The tunes with lyrics, however, seem like they should be the work of a singer-songwriter type, and that’s one thing Reynolds definitely isn’t. Wizard? Sure. Musical miracle? Quite possibly. But can he play credible reggae? Not a chance.

Still, you’d think that the opportunity to see a master up close as he works his instrument in the raw would be a transcendental experience. With all due respect to Reynolds’ spacey wobbles and echo-laden swirls, that wasn’t really the case; he seemed to do best when he wasn’t saddled with duties of pulse, rhythm, or harmony. When he put his fingers on autopilot and let them free-associate on the fretboard, it made for a stupefying display, but his talents were ultimately wasted on rhythm guitar. Sometimes he was able to set himself up through the use of loops and delays, but he’d probably have done better with someone else providing a context—or, rather, a launch pad.

That finally came about at the very end of his set. For the finale, Reynolds jammed his way through “In a Silent Way” with opener Mike Sokolowski—offering the song as a tribute to recently departed Weather Report keyboardist Joe Zawinul. For the first time, his fingers could do as they pleased, as Sokolowski eased through the chord progression on a rickety old upright. Sparkling natural harmonics, knuckle-rapping percussion, and short bursts of melody combined to form a subtle wash of sound, and after ramming it all through a ring modulator, Reynolds called it a night.

Once again, the room was sparsely populated. “Thank you for coming out tonight,” he said. “And you, and you, and you...” He rattled them off very quickly and with a lighthearted smirk, but he came dangerously close to squeezing one out for everybody in the room. Aside from a traumatized class of Pi Kaps, not much has changed in the last few years; nearly a decade after Luther College, Tim Reynolds is still a sleeper hit.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Penguins66
Is Anybody Here?

20 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  11:52:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Penguins66 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This was my second Tim Reynolds solo show. The first time I saw him, my jaw was to the floor in awe all show. I thought, perhaps, that this time I would be less stupefied having already experienced it once. However, I was terribly wrong. I absolutely love watching him play guitar and listening to his songs. In all, it was a fantastic experience. I will never miss a show that comes near me.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000