05/08/08 Capital Ale House Richmond, VA TR3
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  9:09:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Our return engagement was a rockin' good TIMe. It had been 4 months since our last stop @ Capital Ale House and right out of the chute it was pretty obvious to the folks who had been in attendance at our original performance how much tighter TR3 had become in such a short TIMe. Much smaller audience than our first stop there but still an outstanding show. TR3 gave it 110% and rocked the asses off of the receptive audience. The setlist looked like this:

OHIO <D>----INSTR
INDOCTRINATE <D>----bv)bass, drums
SEE YOU IN YOUR DREAMS <G>
SWEET SPOT <E>----INSTR
WIND JUST BLEW THE DOOR OPEN <E>
KABBALAH <G>
UNCOVER THE REASON <E>----bv)bass
TEST OF TIME <E>----INSTR
DO YOU WANNA <E>----bv)bass
CAVE MAN <C>----INSTR
VICTORY EXPRESS <C>----INSTR
INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX <B>----INSTR
HOW MANY MORE TIMES <B>
MATTE KUDASAI <E>----LV)bass (LUSH REVERB)
BURNING SEASON <B>----INSTR
BACKDOOR <C>
SKELETON BALLS <B>
JESUS IS JUST ALRIGHT <A>----bv)bass, drums
HOCUS POCUS <A>----LV)bass, drums
LEELINES <Bm>----INSTR
MOVE ON AHEAD <A>----bv)bass, drums
SEX MACHINE <C>----bv)bass, drums
DONKEY BONG <B>
DON'T KNOW WHAT <E>----bv)bass, drums
---------------------------------------
BANG A GONG <E>----bv)bass, drums

The only change to the setlist I recall is that after Hocus Pocus TR did an impromptu solo electric version of You Are My Sanity on the Strat. Very Nice!!! I do recall this being done at least once before but I don't remember when exactly. Anyway, it was awfully nice and the good news is this show was recorded by Brad who recorded TR3 the last TIMe they were at Capital Ale House as well. Hell, he even recorded TR's solo show at the Capital Ale House. Actually, Brad has been recorded TR for so many years I shouldn't even talk about it. hehe He has seen at least 4 incarnations of TR3 and feels the current line-up is the tightest thus far in TR's career. Plus this line-up encompasses all periods of TR3 where past versions pretty much played their version of TR3 whether that be funkier, jazzier, rockier, etc etc. TR, Mick & Dan do it ALL! SWEET!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2008 :  2:41:39 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I just had to share these great pictures taken by TR fan Sarah:

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2008 :  10:07:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
THANX Sarah for the BEAUTIFUL photos. TR really liked them.(Notice the Chris Whitley t-shirt)

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Sarah Kathryn Downey
Is Anybody Here?

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  10:13:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

First I want to say it was a hell of a show.
You'd think these 3 had been together all along.
I guess there's something in that obx water.

I realy enjoyed the intimacy of the Ale House show.
It was nice to have you guys all to ourselves.
Tim and the boys were definately gettin their "Rock" on.
So glad I was able to make that show.

The solo blew my mind... no real shocker there.
Tim is a freakin genius. and Yes! Love the shirt!!
(War Crime Blues... one of my favorites.)

I'm glad you guys are diggin' my images. It was a pleasure.
I look forward to seeing, hearing and shooting you guys again soon.

much love,
Sarah Smile

Sarah Smile
Go to Top of Page

datbrad
Is Anybody Here?

1 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2008 :  11:57:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great set. Since the January show, it was obvious that this lineup has evolved greatly into a very tight trio. While I do feel this lineup is the best yet, I want to also state for the record my great respect for Jos, Charlie, Warren, Pete, Houston, and Johnny, who staffed 2 co-existing versions of TR3 in the early 90s.

It was really cool that sometimes, you could go to a TR3 show at Memphis Grill in Richmond and see Jos, Charlie, and Pete, and then a month later catch Houston and Johnny at Outback Lodge in C'ville, and not know which lineup in advance. Each had it's own flavor, but since Tim was at the core, he always made them equally entertaining.

Back then, Tim was almost like our own private thing. A long time radio host at WTJU who first turned me on to TR3 back in '89 and who I went to a ton of shows with used to remark how cool it was that we can list some of our favorite all time guitarists, Neal Young, Steve Howe, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, and Tim Reynolds, and we actually know him!

Well, back to 2008 and the Capital Ale House. The January show was packed, almost too packed. Many fans were turned away at the door. The May show, not so packed. The smaller crowd was vocal and very attentive, where I noticed a lot more chit chat and other distracting stuff at the January show. For me, this made the May show better, as we had ease of movement, and most folks really paying close attention to the stage.

Actually, this was what the old TR3 shows felt like, so for me, it was a very smooth, warm, and fuzzy night. Charlie Kilpatrick (original TR3 keyboardist and super nice guy) stopped by the green room after the show, and it was really cool seeing he and Tim together catching up.

I guess the only odd thing that night was when I was heading to the men's room, Toxic Pooh comes busting out with a little James Brown statue and heads to the stage. I am thinking, whoa, and should I stop him or something. I glance over to Fluffy, and he gives me a hand signal that there is nothing to fear from this gas masked yet beloved children's character, so I just watched in amazement at what occured.

I cannot reveil the exact nature of the antics, so you will just have to come to show this fall with a bunch of your friends and see for yourself. All I can say is, "who is this guy?"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000