Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 TRelated Topics
 New D&T tour?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Arthen Posted - 08/22/2002 : 02:16:33 AM
I haven't been on in a while, so I don't know if you guys have been talking about this subject. So anyways,
Is there going to be a new Dave and Tim tour? I really hope there is, Tim adds that awesome dimension to Dave's songs, and it makes them better. And I've not gotten to see them play together. Sigh.

Anyways, just wondering if anyone had any info.

Ciao.

"Don't drink the pickle juice from the pickle jar, until all the pickles are gone."
-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
100   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fluffy Posted - 10/22/2002 : 10:12:35 PM
jsoldo
Something Nasty

USA
214 Posts
Posted - 09/09/2001 : 4:46:45 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tim and Dave announce the H20 tour. All performances underwater, no scuba gear. They are actually growing gills for the entire tour (like Kevin Costner in Waterwold) and will shed them in the off season. If you can't hold your breath that long (haha like waiting for the tour) You can catch them on Mars. That should be a HOT show. By the way they discovered water on mars that is why they are playing there.

By the way, IM KIDDING!

Peace
Jon

Timmah!
PJK Posted - 10/13/2002 : 7:19:16 PM
Thanx Fluffy! And pcbdmb.....well said!

pcbTIM Posted - 10/13/2002 : 7:02:40 PM
New page and fresh start, eh? Then let me get it started by saying.....

D'OH!

"Well you know boys, a nuclear reactor's a lot like a woman: you just have to read the manual and push the right button." - Homer
Fluffy Posted - 10/13/2002 : 6:15:12 PM
A NEW PAGE & A FRESH START!!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Fluffy Posted - 10/13/2002 : 6:13:44 PM
...how to make this all go away and start fresh.....

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Fluffy Posted - 10/13/2002 : 6:07:45 PM
.....I have an idea.......

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Fluffy Posted - 10/13/2002 : 6:04:57 PM
For all who have voiced a desire for this to disappear or at least stop being talked about......

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
PJK Posted - 10/12/2002 : 9:38:58 PM
Thank you Space Monkey!!!!!!!! This topic really pisses me off. I even avoided going into it but did by mistake anyway! For the love of God, Please stop this post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Ah...I feel much better!

pcbTIM Posted - 10/12/2002 : 8:47:31 PM
Fluffy......you're the best tour manager ever!

"Well you know boys, a nuclear reactor's a lot like a woman: you just have to read the manual and push the right button." - Homer
Shiva Posted - 10/12/2002 : 5:36:27 PM
Fluffy I do belive you missed your calling as a writer....Great work....Love Charise

Fluffy Posted - 10/12/2002 : 4:46:29 PM
Sounds like a great idea, good luck with the campaign. Hope we didn't scare you off and hope we see you post more in the future. As has been said by you and SpaceMonkey, I think we have done this topic to death and it is definitely TIMe to put it to bed. Thanx for taking the TIMe to read my responses and comment on them. It is greatly appreciated as is your presence here amongst the TR Task Force.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
DMBFanSJ Posted - 10/12/2002 : 4:34:05 PM
Erich with an 'h' -

I think you got the wrong impression from my statements on selfishness, so all I'll say to you is that I didn't mean what I said to be fighting words, and I have no intention of arguing with you over them.

Fluffy -

Thank you for your intelligent and insightful responses. I've gotten what I feel is a clear understanding of Tim's position on this matter and for that I'm grateful. I never meant to sling any blame on TimE...Tim's my guitar God and always will be, and I have nothing but respect for the man regardless of where his career may take him. I also never meant to disrespect you with my comment on Tim's fans' selfishness...it wasn't meant to be directed at you, and it's just a feeling I've gotten from some of the posters on this board. But even to them, I didn't intend it to be an insult, because I know how it feels to have the musicians you love become so popular that you feel like the intimacy that you had with them was lost. I shouldn't have made my comment so general, and for that I apologize.

So with that, let's let this topic die, and I'll go start my letter writing campaign to push dave to call tim!

Fluffy Posted - 10/12/2002 : 3:26:13 PM
GREAT POST SpaceMonkey!! Thanx for giving me my level head back!! Sometimes I just feel like I need to defend TR and HIS position on this, what seems to be "when-pigs-fly"(that really cracked me up, by the way)topic. Everyone starts slinging blame in TR's direction as if it's HIS choice and the only reason they aren't happening is because he won't. Anyway, you are completely right, too much TIMe and NRG has already been spent on this subject. Thanx for reminding me. Sometimes I get all lost in it and I can't see the forest for the trees.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
SpaceMonkey Posted - 10/12/2002 : 12:15:02 PM
Yaaaaaawwnnnnn!

C'mon folks, talk about beating a dead horse. Somebody get Soldo on the horn and have him add an additional forum for T&D so the people who want to discuss this stuff can get their ya-ya's out. Fluffy, you're a noble soul...if I was in your spot I would've stopped posting on this one long ago...don't drive yourself crazy fueling this debate.

For anybody getting on this late, allow me to sum up the preceding 1000 posts on this topic with the following mathematical computation. All factors have been reduced to their lowest common denominator:

T + D = Pigeonhole

TR = Artistic Liberation

If you wish to continue the debate, please take it to one of the many DMB-related message boards. I think I speak on behalf of all the regulars here when I say that we're all fans of T&D but we can do without this topic popping up every other week. This board is too good to have our best minds (Fluffy, Erich, et. al.) typing frentic responses to questions that have already been answered time and again. If you are new to the board *WELCOME ABOARD*, we are not DMB-haters or anything, but we would appreciate intelligent posts that don't address "when-pigs-fly" scenarios like this one.

Ok, now that I got that one out of my system, let's all exit this god-forsaken topic....

Fluffy Posted - 10/12/2002 : 08:47:52 AM
pcbdmb said:
quote:
A perfect example would be going to a show. People go expecting TIM to play DMB songs, which is absolutely ridiculous. And let's not forget the hundreds of people that yell for Stream between every song. I would like TIM & Dave to tour again, but I would like to be able to screen everyone beforehand to "weed out" the assholes.

dmbfanSJ said:
quote:
I don't necessarily think the people you describe are 'assholes'. The truth is, people like what they like, and they can't help that.
It think what pcbdmb was saying is that HE(and alot of other TR fans)see the yellers who detract from a TR performance as assholes. I do not think anyone on this board would call DMB fans assholes as most, if not all, of them are also DMB fans. The people who yell and talk and don't pay attention because it isn't what they selfishly want to hear are seen as assholes at any concert by any band. Keep in mind, DMB said he would never do another acoustic tour at the very end of the last acoustic tour because folks were so rude. So it's not just the TR fans who feel this way. Inconsiderate people at concerts affect everyone including the artists. It's just plain rude and that makes them assholes in others eyes. I wouldn't take a comment like that so personally.

dmbfanSJ said:
quote:
Now granted, I understand that the less knowledgeable dave fans will show up at a Tim show and expect Tim to play DMB music, but I don't think that's good reason for Tim to not play with Dave.
That is definitely not the reason TR doesn't play with Dave. As I stated above, many TIMes, TR does not play with Dave BECAUSE DAVE HAS NOT ASKED HIM TOO. That is the ONLY reason. I don't see why so many in the DMB community seem to think that somehow TR is can do something about this. It is really not up to TR so he goes about his own career. There is no spite toward the fans that keeps him from playing with Dave, just a lack of opportunity, so do not hold it against TR that he does not play with Dave. If the opportunity presented itself and he turned it down, then and only then could you question TR's reasons for not playing with Dave.

dmbfanSJ said:
quote:
If he never plays with Dave again, he'll never get the kind of exposure he has gotten again (assuming he continues on the path he's on today and doesn't join any other musicians). It makes me sad to think that's a possibility..and not just because I love seeing dave and tim play together, but because I believe Tim could really cement himself a position in guitar history if he took advantage of this. Maybe that's not important to him, but it would make me a lot happier if Tim were getting the kind of recognition that he deserved.
If you reread what I wrote in the above posts I think you will see that we realize TR will not get that kind of exposure on his own. We also don't see that exposure as having a huge impact on his solo career for the reasons stated above. I will not repeat them all here again, you can reread the posts above to see what I am talking about. TR is not interested in cementing a place for him in guitar history. If it happens great. If he has a goal in life it is to be a great father and husband. That is TR's main goal in life. He makes music because it makes him happy, not to become more famous or carve a spot for himself in guitar history. That is something I do. I try to take what TR does and get it out there to as many so he may benefit, but he does not set out to make himself more famous. He makes music and take that and hope that I can cultivate a larger following for him out of what he is doing at any given TIMe. I am the first one to admit that I would love to see TR get huge, but if it doesn't happen that is OK because I enjoy what he does and enjoy accompanying him on the road. I have toured with alot of bands and never have I been happier about the artist I am working for than TR. I respect his desire to make music for himself without concern for how it will be recieved. I really respect that. I try and listen to what he does and see if there is some way to get it out to an audience that will respect what he does because they also enjoy it. I would never think to ask TR to do something he didn't want to just because we could make more fans that way. I like that he stays true to himself and his craft. Call it selfish if you want to, but he is just trying to make himself happy in this world. Everyone is selfish like that and I think they should be. Otherwise you spend your whole life doing what others tell you to do and you will be unhappy and miserable your whole life and that would be a shame. I told TR along TIMe ago, that I will continue to work for him as long as he does what he is happy doing. I do not want to work for someone who is miserable the whole TIMe they are doing it. Part of the great thing about this job is getting to travel with someone who is so excited about what he is doing. It makes it fun for everyone. It would suck to be working for some miserable motherfucker who was always in a bad mood and bitching because he is not happy doing what he is doing and ends up taking out the frustration on the people around him. It is an extreme pleasure and I am exceptionally lucky to working for someone as talented and someone who I am always happy to be around. It would make us all alot happier if TR got the recognition he deserved but none of us are willing to get that recognition at the expense of TR's happiness. I'd rather see him do what he enjoys doing to a smaller audience. I think that over TIMe his honesty to his art will translate to a larger appreciation for his ability and he will be happier with himself that it came by way of his terms and not by doing what was expected of him. If anything he needs more exposure to guitar players not more DMB fans. I feel guitar players are where TR's true audience lies. People who can appreciate whatever he does on the guitar. Of course this is just my opinion, but I feel that most guitar players probably don't give TR a chance because most guitar afficionados probably don't consider DMB as the place they think they will discover an amazing guitar player. Try and put yourself in the position of a Joe Satriani fan who all he really listens to is JS and other guitar players of that ilk. They are far less likely to be DMB fans as well. I am sure there are some, but most guitar players fall to the acousticy masters side or to the heavier electric side and I think because of his affiliation with DMB, people from those musical tastes probably don't give him a chance. Most guitar heads probably think of DMB as pop music and are therefore less likely to take a recommendation on TR because they might be thinking "how good can he be, he plays with that pop band all the little girls like." Do you see my point. I am rambling again feel I need to move on.

dmbfanSJ said:
quote:
Anyway, I don't see why Tim can't do both unless he draws as clearly a line between working with Dave and doing what's true to him as you do. Personally, I don't feel that he does draw that line. The evidence is in his response to other questions concerning whether he would go if Dave called him - every indication I've read is that he would do it. So, perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree here and need to pester Dave, but he's not nearly as accessible so here I am hehe.
He does not draw a line between them and you have hit the nail squarely on the head. It is indeed, UP TO DAVE.

dmbfanSJ said:
quote:
My point is Tim has indicated that he would play with Dave again if Dave asked, and Tim can also still do solo tours and still make his electric albums and everyone's happy, right? I don't see why everyone doesn't consider this middle road to be ideal!
I don't see where anyone said this middle of the road was not ideal. If you read the above posts, all "I" said was that even if he was to do them, they would not go along way to furthering his solo career. There is no reason he can't do both or even one or the other. If you reread what I said, you will see that my comments were all based on responses to how would those tours help his solo career and I still don't think they will for the reasons I gave in the above posts. I never said he shouldn't do them, I just said it wasn't a priortiy for those of us trying to further his solo career. We refuse to use those to further his career as I don't feel they will help TR. I am not saying he shouldn't or wouldn't do them, I am just saying they will not help his solo career.

dmbfanSJ said:
quote:
Well of COURSE what I'm saying is selfish. I want Tim to play with Dave because it makes the dmb music I love even richer and better. The hardcore tim fans selfishly want to keep him for themselves. Tim selfishly wants to do what he's doing now. There's nothing wrong with being selfish, we're all that way.

I already commented on this above to a certain degree but I will cover it again because I feel it is very important. Let me make this perfectly clear, I DO NOT want to keep TR selfishly to myself. I want to share him with the world. Only I want to do that on TR's terms. I want people to appreciate and listen to him because the like what he has to offer, not because he plays what THEY selfishly want. So saying I want to selfishly keep TR to myself is insulting. I try very hard to get him out there into the mainstream music world. It is not easy when you are an independent artist with no label advertising you in every record store and music publication. WE are a grassroots organization that relies heavily on word of mouth. I am constantly encouraging people to turn people onto TR and his music if they think they will like it. I would love it if everyone listened to TR, but I am not willing to accomplish that by having him do something just to get him more fans. I would much rather see him build a bigger fan base doing what he is happiest doing, not by doing something just to get more fans and I am not referring to a T&D tour here but anything that might come his way that he doesn't really feel he is into doing. Something you should know is, TR regularly turns down offers to record with others because it is not something he is interested in. If he recorded with everyone who offered him a job I am sure he would be more famous but I admire that he does not go that route. He stays true to himself and what make him happy and as we all know that is gracefully portrayed in his music. That is one of the most beautiful things about his music. I comes from the heart and not the pocketbook or the need for glory or fame. Call that selfish if you want to, but I admire that trait. Look how miserable most people are in the world. Stuck in jobs they don't really like for whatever reason, not really doing what they wish they could be doing. The world would be a much nicer place and the people in much nicer people if they were all that selfish. Imagine if everyone in the world had the job they wanted and were as happy as TR is everyday when he "goes to work". Gimme that kinda selfish anyday cause it would be a much happier world with much happier people. I respect the fact that TR is true to himself or as you would call it SELFISH. Keep in mind there is a big difference between your selfishness and TR's selfishness. TR's selfishness does not require anyone else to do anything that would not make them happy. You have said for you to be happy, TR needs to play with Dave, even if that is not what TR wants to do. TR's selfishness does not require anyone else to do anything they don't want to do. So I will take that kind of selfishness over the other any day of the week. Just my 2 cents, but I hope you will take the TIMe to read it all and comment if you feel it is necessary.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Fluffy Posted - 10/12/2002 : 07:31:38 AM
First let me say, that I have been dreading readdressing this post, but it seems I have been either misquoted or completely misunderstood. I am going to answer dmbfanSJ's response to my comments directly. I want you to know that I have read all your responses and some of them are quite good. I will probably be saying the exact same things alot of you said but for the sake of TIMe and my sanity I cannot continually quote everyone elses comments in this response. I am going to address his post as if the other comments had not been made yet hoping that this will clear up any misconceptions I may have given dmbfanSJ. Let me begin:

dmbfanSJ said:
quote:
I agree with what you're saying about selling out and being true to his art, and I agree that to give up what he loves just for financial freedom or to give one group of fans (a rather large group, I might add) what they want wouldn't be right. I also agree that money isn't everything and that Tim needs to make the kind of music that is in his soul and that makes him happy. BUT I think you all are making a mistake in assuming that Tim can only choose one of two paths: sell-out, or genuine artist.

You must understand that for TR to sign to a label would compromise his musical integrity. I have heard the contracts that have been offered him and the reasons for his turning them down. Noone has offered him creative freedom to do what he wants as an artist. So for him to sign one of THOSE contract would be TR selling out. To remain true to his craft, he has chosen to remain independent. In TR's case, it has been sell out or remain true to his craft. As an example, one of the deals offered him stated that for his first effort, the record company would get a whole bunch of known artists(ie:Bela, Dave, Victor Wooten, etc etc etc)to do accompany TR on each different song. This approach does nothing for TR creatively and is more about a record company trying to make sure the record they sink alot of money into will sell lots and lots. I am sure the fans would have been xstatic to see an album of that sort, BUT it is not what TR wanted to do. Do you understand what I am trying to say? TR has very set ideas about the way HE wants to present himself and his music. Anything short of that would be selling out. Sure he could do it and make all the fans happy and make lots of money, BUT would TR be happy. He decided he wouldn't be and I think we should respect decision. As opposed to giving us some musical output TR isn't really into, he decided to stay independent and do it his way. I think that is very admirable. Most people would just jump at the money and cater to the record company and do what is asked or suggested even if it isn't the real direction they wanted to head in.

dmbfanSJ said:
quote:
The truth is, there is nothing preventing Tim from giving us acoustic Tim fans what we want while still making artistic music that will never appeal to a mainstream crowd. There is definitely a middle road here!
You are correct, there is nothing preventing TR from giving the acoustic fans what they want except for 2 things. First, TR isn't into that right now and as I have said over and over again, who wants to see TR perform for the money as opposed to perform a show that his heart is really into. I would definitely choose the latter. Secondly and most importantly, you need to understand that this is not a decision that TR makes. The opportunity to perform with Dave or DMB has to come from the DMB camp. They call him when they want to work with him. Even if TR wanted to do a T&D tour tomorrow, the decision is not his. So it really isn't a TR issue that it isn't happening. It is not like they have called him and he turned it down. So for TR to give the fans what they want, Dave or Dave's management have to initiate any tour with TR. I don't want you to think that TR is turning down offers and thinking fuck the fans. That is not the case at all. TR has said on numerous occasions that if he had an opportunity to do another tour with Dave or the band he would seriously consider it. My guess is the decision would be made at the TIMe of the offer and how he felt about it at that TIMe. As we all know about TR, he does what he feels at any given moment. Today he may not feel like doing that tour but tomorrow he might. Who can say what headspace TR will be in if and when the offer comes. So please don't hold it against TR that "the fans" are getting what they want. He is just doing what he wants while he has the TIMe since there have been no other offers put forth to him.

dmbfanSJ said:
quote:
Going on the D&T tours is IMO part of that middle road. Tim can play with dave every couple of years, give the acoustic fans that love hearing tim solo over dave's rhythms what we're always screaming for, and make a nice wad of money for himself. Then, when he's not touring with Dave, he can continue to create his music and albums. I don't really see why you have presented it as such a black and white choice.
I don't think I presented it as as such a black and white choice. As I explained above, it really isn't an option. TR has not ruled it out if the offer were to ever even come. All I was trying to say was that the T&D tours will not go along way to furthering TR's solo career so he really isn't interested in pursuing it as a focal point of HIS career at this TIMe. Again, he has said on numerous occasions, that if the offer presented itself, he would consider it. I am sure he would continue to make the music he wants for himself, on his own, even if he did embark on another T&D tour or DMB tour. What you have to understand is he is not sitting around waiting for that offer. He has alot of music inside him and he is interested at the present in getting that out. I never said it was one or the other, but right now his focus is on HIS career and if you reread what I said in the posts above you will see I clearly(or so I thought)stated that I just don't see how T&D tours will help further his solo career. They might be fun for him and they might make him some money, but the people that discover TR thru those tours, by and large, don't have alot of interest in his solo acoustic music without Dave and even littler interest in his electric experiments. By your comments, you have proved exactly what I was trying to say. You want to see TR accompany Dave and have a much smaller interest in seeing what TR does on his own. I think of of the DMB fans feel that way. There are exceptions as most of the hardcore TR fans discovered TR thru DMB, but most of DMB crowd has little or no interest in TR playing TR's music.

dmbfanSJ said:
quote:
Also...some of you act as though there's no value to what Tim does with Dave, which I disagree with wholeheartedly.
Obviously, I cannot speak for everyone on the board or even everyone who has commented on this topic, BUT I challenge you find somewhere where I have ever made a comment like this. There is just as much value to the work that TR has done with Dave as there is value to his solo work to a true TR fan. IF anything, I would say you have that reversed. DMB fans tend to act as if there is no value to TR's solo work and the only work of value is his work with Dave. Most TR fans also like his work with Dave, most DMB fans are not big fans of TR's work without Dave. Am I wrong?

dmbfanSJ said:
quote:
Even if, and I've never heard Tim make a comment that would support this theory, but even if Tim hated doing shows with dave and got nothing out of it artistically and it was really worthless in his mind, the music they create together still has a ton of value for a lot of us fans.
TR has never said anything to lead me to believe that he does not enjoy the work that he has done with Dave or DMB. In fact, my guess is, he would have never gone back and done anymore work with them if he didn't enjoy it. As I have pointed out TIMe and TIMe again, TR does what moves him. So by virtue of the fact that he worked with them whenever they asked, I would say that is what he wanted to be doing at the TIMe. I have heard him say on numerous occasions that he is proud of his work with DMB, even if he can't listen to it, but that is more for personal reasons based solely on the fact that TR has a hard TIMe listening to any music he has worked on in the past including his own. I am sure that the music they create together has lots of value to the fans. I hear about it everyday in the numerous emails I answer from DMB fans who want to know if they will ever work together again, or if they really hate each other, etc etc etc. If anything, it is Dave who is neglecting the fans who want to see another team up, not TR. As I stated above, it is not up to TR, it is up to Dave, and TR has not ruled out the possibility if he was to get the call.

dmbfanSJ said:
quote:
There have been many times where I've listened to a tim solo in one of their shows and just thought 'wow' and been filled with all of the emotions that good music can inspire. Now, if any part of Tim's pursuit of a music career was inspired by a desire to give that feeling to listeners, then his work with Dave should definitely be in his agenda, because for every one of you that gets that feeling listening to and seeing his solo performances, there are at least a hundred dave fans that get that feeling when he plays with them.
As for the last comments made, I think I made it pretty clear in above posts that TR's pursuit of his music career is about a desire to make himself happy with what he is doing and if he picks up fans along the way, GREAT. TR does not set with an agenda in mind to give a feeling to the listeners, he makes music for himself. Hopefully people who listen to it will feel something and hopefully what the feel is a positive thing. Right now what makes him happy is playing his electric guitar to a small room of people and hoping they dig it. If you gave him the option(without finanacial considerations of course) of playing the ChaosView show to 50 people who really dig it or play a show to thousands of DMB fans playing Daves music, my guess he would choose the ChaosView show. Not because he hates Dave or Daves fans or wouldn't want to make them happy but because it is more important for him to be happy doing what he is doing and right now what makes him happy is the ChaosView music and show. It's not about letting down fans or making fans happy, it is about doing what makes you happy and hopefully while you are doing that, the fans end up happy as well. There is no agenda about making the fans happy. TR wants them to be happy but he does not want to make them happy at the expense of his own happiness. I hope this has cleared it up for you some. I would suggest going back and reading all of my above posts again, as I have reread them to make sure I didn't say anything that would give you the impressions you seemed to have arrived at. Hopefully when you reread them you will understand better what I was trying to say all along. I will be happy to answer any other questions you may have that will help make it clearer for you.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Fluffy Posted - 10/12/2002 : 06:24:41 AM
Both Bela Fleck and Perp Motion are being discussed at greater length in this post:

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2502

You can see what has already been said there.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
__________ Posted - 10/12/2002 : 02:12:05 AM
anyone heard perpetual motion by bela fleck? it's him and his banjo and some different guests playing classical music.

it's amazing, it truly is.

Erich with an h Posted - 10/12/2002 : 01:03:07 AM
lets take this piece by piece, and not pull too many punches this time.

quote:
Well of COURSE what I'm saying is selfish. I want Tim to play with Dave because it makes the dmb music I love even richer and better.

I doubt this needs to be dwelled upon, but seriously its wearing thin.

quote:
The hardcore tim fans selfishly want to keep him for themselves.

actualy this is a completely absurd asumption, and i doubt you even know a thing about the tim community youre assuming about. Im no greater than any of the other tim fans here, but I think i can find a common voice and say ofr all fans on this board that we DONT want to keep tim for ourselves and we want him to get as much exposure as possible. this is why we all spread the word. thats why im at ants everyday talking about tims other work, so that everyone knows what tim is capable of. We want tim out there doing what he loves because we love that, and if thats selfish to you, you need to look up the correct defenition.

quote:
Tim selfishly wants to do what he's doing now.

which is of course to pump your ungrateful ass filled with music he creates. let me see if i can make it easier on you, it seems you might not be too familiar with common phrasing among us english speakers:

selfish

\Self"ish\, a. 1. Caring supremely or unduly for one's self; regarding one's own comfort, advantage, etc., in disregard, or at the expense, of those of others

at your expense of course, tim creates and shares music. I see it a lot clearer now.

If he wanted to be selfish he wouldnt share any of it, if he wanted to be selfish he would tour only with dave and only for the money. Tim is the antithesis of selfish, and you, my friend, are the epitome of uninformed.

quote:
There's nothing wrong with being selfish, we're all that way.

A close friend of mine said once he believes "there is no selfless act". looking deep into it, I can agree with this mindset in a lot of ways. Yet one needs to understand that although self gratification may be our drive to make others happy and that in turn may not fall under a completely selfless deed, technically speaking only, that does not imply that ones actions are SELFISH. that is a phrase that blatently implies catering to ones needs only. Tim gives us what we as fans want while staying true to himself, which is the mark of someone who is not only far removed from the concept of selfishness, but most likely has a better grasp on that concept than you give him credit for.

Erich w/ an h
Erichwanh@yahoo.com
ChaosView, the new Tim Reynolds tour archive
pcbTIM Posted - 10/11/2002 : 8:06:03 PM
quote:

Well of COURSE what I'm saying is selfish. I want Tim to play with Dave because it makes the dmb music I love even richer and better. The hardcore tim fans selfishly want to keep him for themselves. Tim selfishly wants to do what he's doing now. There's nothing wrong with being selfish, we're all that way.

Now it will live throughout the ages.

Silky The Pimp Posted - 10/11/2002 : 7:54:41 PM
Man... you might consider deleting that last response before someone else straight up lays into you. That's one of the most asinine things I've ever read on this board. Wow.

DMBFanSJ Posted - 10/11/2002 : 5:55:40 PM

pcbTIM Posted - 10/11/2002 : 5:45:40 PM
quote:

"it IS black and white choice. Give fans "what they want" and sell yourself out, or do what you want and be happy. "

I still don't see why this is true...Tim could do what makes him happy and also give some of us OTHER tim fans......what we're dying for as well!

What you need to realize is that what you are saying is completely selfish (by the way, I don't intend to sound malicious). You say that the middle ground is TIM doing his own thing, but also plays with Dave. The problem lies in that this is what you want, not TIM. As it has been said many TIMes before, TR does what he wants and if people enjoy it and follow him, then that's fine. If they don't, that's fine too.

Erich with an h Posted - 10/11/2002 : 2:19:08 PM
if tim went on another tour with dave it would be what tim wanted. as I pointed out, tim isnt going to ask dave himself because he does consider that a sell out move cause thats not what he wants. I think the mistake youre making about this distinction between doing what he wants and touring with dave is that you think its all around the board when instead its a statement concerning NOW. as of right now, if tim called up dave and said lets go play, he wouldnt be doing that for himself and thats a sell out move, and he said that straight out so theres no arguing that point, but if later on he wanted to do it no ones saying its not a possibility. Your middle road, however, isnt condusive to what he wishes to do. he was happy schedualing a full yers worth of electric touring without thinking of dave at all, and thats what he wanted to do so thats what he did. the middle road idea would only be there to appease fans and not to do what he wants.

So, yeah, we know you want him to tour with dave, but thats not happening just yet. if it happens later, it does, and tim will want that. For now, this is what hes doing because this is what he wants, and thats all there is to it. Hes said, fluffy's said it, and the fans said it too. And you also need to consider daves preferances, and hes been perfectly fine touring without tim for over 3 years so thats what HE wants at the moment as well. who knows what happens later. Obviously though, if your "ideal" situation was really ideal, it would be happening. so i think thats the indication you need to go by.

Erich w/ an h
Erichwanh@yahoo.com
DMBFanSJ Posted - 10/11/2002 : 1:59:08 PM
"it IS black and white choice. Give fans "what they want" and sell yourself out, or do what you want and be happy. "

I still don't see why this is true...Tim could do what makes him happy and also give some of us OTHER tim fans (I for one am not only a dave fan, but ALSO a tim fan thank you very much!) what we're dying for as well! I'm going to 2 Dave shows this winter in NY, and I have to tell you it would literally make my year if Tim showed up to those shows. Now, I know it's not going to happen, but I can still dream.

Anyway, I don't see why Tim can't do both unless he draws as clearly a line between working with Dave and doing what's true to him as you do. Personally, I don't feel that he does draw that line. The evidence is in his response to other questions concerning whether he would go if Dave called him - every indication I've read is that he would do it. So, perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree here and need to pester Dave, but he's not nearly as accessible so here I am hehe.

My point is Tim has indicated that he would play with Dave again if Dave asked, and Tim can also still do solo tours and still make his electric albums and everyone's happy, right? I don't see why everyone doesn't consider this middle road to be ideal!

Erich with an h Posted - 10/11/2002 : 1:53:18 PM
d'oh! noted for next time

Erich w/ an h
Erichwanh@yahoo.com
Shiva Posted - 10/11/2002 : 1:50:37 PM
Erich P.S. it is spelled Charise...he he he he!!!!!

Shiva Posted - 10/11/2002 : 1:48:01 PM
Well said Erich , well said!!!!!!!!!!!!

Erich with an h Posted - 10/11/2002 : 1:23:33 PM
DMBFanSJ - I commend you for being adament abuot what you like without resorting to blatent irational, something that I no longer expect from a dmb fan, so kudos.

With that said... your ideas are correct, if tim did tour with dave on this "midground" type level he WOULD gain exposure, and that would open a lot of people up to his music the way I was opened up to it. The one thing i think youre not taking into account though is the idea that if tim did what the fans wanted and not what his heart told him, that would be selling out. thats compramising your musical integrety for recognition or to appease the masses. i'll quote tim directly from an interview he had last month:

I'm not going to call him up and say, "Hey Dave, can we do an acoustic tour?" That would be crazy. He's so much bigger now than he was the last time we did the acoustic shows. On my part, it would be a sell-out move, because it's not what I want to do. And I could just sail along into the big time on Dave's name - John Mayer is totally copping that sound and living off that.

so to directly answer what you said...

The truth is, there is nothing preventing Tim from giving us acoustic Tim fans what we want while still making artistic music that will never appeal to a mainstream crowd. There is definitely a middle road here! Going on the D&T tours is IMO part of that middle road. Tim can play with dave every couple of years, give the acoustic fans that love hearing tim solo over dave's rhythms what we're always screaming for, and make a nice wad of money for himself. Then, when he's not touring with Dave, he can continue to create his music and albums. I don't really see why you have presented it as such a black and white choice.

it IS black and white choice. Give fans "what they want" and sell yourself out, or do what you want and be happy. We already saw this tour the contrast between the accoustic crowd and the electric crowd, the later being exponentialy smaller, but this is what tims muse is directing him to and this is what he wants. To give in ot the fans that say "hey come on, tour with dave, its what WE want" would be casting aside his focus and his artistic drive for the sake of making people other than himself happy.

one last thing:

Also...some of you act as though there's no value to what Tim does with Dave

i think youre honestly mistaken. I can say with conviction that 98% of the fans here are here BECAUSE of dave. few fans like patrick or william or cherise are here because of finding out about tim through other sources. So we appreciate and acknowledge what hs done with dave, but we also see tim for what he is on a grander scale and see that his duos with dave were just a small part of this wealth of talent. so its not us holding no value to it, but it would almost be like saying dave matthews was nothing more than ants marching and not looking into his other catalogue.

Erich w/ an h
Erichwanh@yahoo.com
Silky The Pimp Posted - 10/11/2002 : 1:04:37 PM
What Patrick means by 'assholes' are the people that go to a TR solo show and talk the entire time, or leave early, or hollar the entire show for TR to play the Stream because it's on L@L. It ends up detracting from the show for people that ARE there just to see TR do his thing. I must say, as well, that I think you missed a little bit of the point about what Fluffy wrote and what I was commending, which is that TR ISN'T interested in large-scale fame, recognition, or appealing to the masses (even if it's still a minority). He's not interested in building a bigger fanbase by playing ANYTHING he doesn't want to. This includes the solo acoustic and D&T gigs when he's not feeling so inclined. You are right in that there are a lot of people that would love to see that happen, but TR is in it to be true to himself, not to do something that a bunch of other people (really DAVE MATTHEWS fans, not really TR fans) want him to do... and I find that kind of musical honesty to be simply amazing. I think Fluffy hit the nail on the head... one of the reasons that TR comes through so well is that he is so true to himself, and that ultimately, his music would suffer, as would HIS fans, if he were to do anything but what he wants to do in his heart at any given time.

DMBFanSJ Posted - 10/11/2002 : 12:45:14 PM
I don't necessarily think the people you describe are 'assholes'. The truth is, people like what they like, and they can't help that. Someone like Tim Reynolds, making the kind of music he makes, is never going to have a large mainstream audience. History will tell you that -- the great guitarists that were popular all either had a lead singer or sang themselves. When Tim plays with Dave, Dave provides that backdrop and suddenly Tim's musical genius is accessible to an infinitely larger audience than without Dave. I don't see how this could be seen as a bad thing.

Now granted, I understand that the less knowledgeable dave fans will show up at a Tim show and expect Tim to play DMB music, but I don't think that's good reason for Tim to not play with Dave. If he never plays with Dave again, he'll never get the kind of exposure he has gotten again (assuming he continues on the path he's on today and doesn't join any other musicians). It makes me sad to think that's a possibility..and not just because I love seeing dave and tim play together, but because I believe Tim could really cement himself a position in guitar history if he took advantage of this. Maybe that's not important to him, but it would make me a lot happier if Tim were getting the kind of recognition that he deserved.

pcbTIM Posted - 10/11/2002 : 03:34:07 AM
Hey DMBfanSJ, I completely agree with what you say about Tim and Dave touring together and how they make unbelievable music, however.......these views are in an unbelievably small minority. Most of the DMB fans enjoy TR's talent.......as long as there's DMB behind him. A perfect example would be going to a show. People go expecting TIM to play DMB songs, which is absolutely ridiculous. And let's not forget the hundreds of people that yell for Stream between every song. I would like TIM & Dave to tour again, but I would like to be able to screen everyone beforehand to "weed out" the assholes. Obviously, this will never happen, so I guess we'll all have to stick with going to TR concerts.........isn't life great?

captain_napkins Posted - 10/10/2002 : 8:26:54 PM
quote:
The record label might offer you financial freedom, but do you really want to sell your soul and lose your artistic freedom?

I do!

Hmm...I suppose I don't know how all the record label stuff works...but let's say for a second that I do...

If it worked out that way, couldn't Tim get a good deal signing onto Dave's ATO records? Keep in mind that I know nothing about this stuff (but we're pretending that I do), but couldn't Dave guarantee at least the artistic freedom part? I dunno, just a random thought.
DMBFanSJ Posted - 10/10/2002 : 8:26:07 PM
Fluffy -

I agree with what you're saying about selling out and being true to his art, and I agree that to give up what he loves just for financial freedom or to give one group of fans (a rather large group, I might add) what they want wouldn't be right. I also agree that money isn't everything and that Tim needs to make the kind of music that is in his soul and that makes him happy. BUT I think you all are making a mistake in assuming that Tim can only choose one of two paths: sell-out, or genuine artist. The truth is, there is nothing preventing Tim from giving us acoustic Tim fans what we want while still making artistic music that will never appeal to a mainstream crowd. There is definitely a middle road here! Going on the D&T tours is IMO part of that middle road. Tim can play with dave every couple of years, give the acoustic fans that love hearing tim solo over dave's rhythms what we're always screaming for, and make a nice wad of money for himself. Then, when he's not touring with Dave, he can continue to create his music and albums. I don't really see why you have presented it as such a black and white choice.

Also...some of you act as though there's no value to what Tim does with Dave, which I disagree with wholeheartedly. Even if, and I've never heard Tim make a comment that would support this theory, but even if Tim hated doing shows with dave and got nothing out of it artistically and it was really worthless in his mind, the music they create together still has a ton of value for a lot of us fans. There have been many times where I've listened to a tim solo in one of their shows and just thought 'wow' and been filled with all of the emotions that good music can inspire. Now, if any part of Tim's pursuit of a music career was inspired by a desire to give that feeling to listeners, then his work with Dave should definitely be in his agenda, because for every one of you that gets that feeling listening to and seeing his solo performances, there are at least a hundred dave fans that get that feeling when he plays with them.

Fluffy Posted - 10/10/2002 : 2:35:44 PM
Hey Silky, I understand what you're saying, but I think you have hit on the big conundrum.

Silky said:
quote:
If someone were offering me a large fortune to play a certain kind of music for a few years... well... I don't know that I could pass up something that would set me up for life like that... that would essentially offer me complete freedom from ever having to do anything

Unfortunately for that "large sum of money" there are so many strings attached that you would never really have "complete freedom". Being free of the record label offers you the most freedom you can have to create the music that makes YOU happy. The record label might offer you financial freedom, but do you really want to sell your soul and lose your artistic freedom? I think if someone offered him a deal that would allow him to keep his artistic vision intact, TR might be more inclined to take it, but up until now, any offers that have come his way have been discussed with which direction WE(the record company) can take TR's music and TR has thought the record company shouldn't be deciding that for him. That should be left to artist to decide. If the record company was interested in supporting whatever the artist wanted to do artistically, I think TR might be more open to some kind of deal like that. Don't get me wrong, TR thinks about money as all of us have to. He has a family to take care of. I think he is happy making enuf to get by, rather than selling out for financial freedom. Is financial freedom so important at the expense of your happiness? I know I would rather make small amounts and be happy at what I do than make lots and be totally miserable. I have felt this way for as long as I can remember, much to the chegrin of my parents. They wish I would get a good paying job with a great future because they care about me and think that is the way to happiness. As I have found, I would rather be happy at my work and make less. It becomes a balancing act for each person to decide their place. TR's similar outlook is one of the things that drew me to him. I can totally relate to his approach. Please yourself and that happiness will be reflected in the job you do and others will be drawn to it because of it's honesty and sincerity. It is a beautiful thing, I just wish it paid better. HEHE

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Silky The Pimp Posted - 10/10/2002 : 09:12:49 AM
I've always thought that was the most respectable thing. Here's one of the greatest players that ever graced the planet, yet he would rather play what he wants and be a certain unknown than do what someone else wants and be as big as the sun. I have to say, I don't know if I would have that kind of will power. If someone were offering me a large fortune to play a certain kind of music for a few years... well... I don't know that I could pass up something that would set me up for life like that... that would essentially offer me complete freedom from ever having to do anything, or miss out on anything because of money. I'm not sure that playing my own brand of my own music would be important enough to me to pass something like that up. The fact that TR is THAT true to himself and others is nothing short of amazing.

Fluffy Posted - 10/09/2002 : 12:39:17 AM
It is true that TR makes music FOR HIMSELF and just hopes others like what he does. His goal is not to make millions or even create a larger fan base for himself. That is my job. HEHE His goal is create the art that is inside him. If he picks up some fans along the way that is just a bonus. Luckily he is in a position where he can do whatever his soul feels. He has no major label telling him what to record next, when and where to tour(at the expense of his family). Telling him fans cannot record the shows, telling him he cannot release a free CD or 2 on his website if he feels so inclined. TR has it pretty good. He is free to DO IT HIS WAY and that is a pretty wonderful thing. Yes he could probably sell out and get a label deal and do all the things record labels tell him to do to make more money, but that is not what TR wants. Or worse yet(in my humble estimation)he could tour endlessly strumming the acoustic guitar and playing Stream nite after nite and make lots of cash, but would he be happy? NO!! That is part of the dynamic of why TR is so wonderful to see. He is incredibly happy doing whatever he is doing at any given moment and if he wasn't, I truly believe that would show in the performaces and I never want to see that TR perform. I respect his approach to his craft, his honesty in his music, and his ability to make others incredibly happy while being true to himself and his art. That is a pretty amazing gift and you don't see it to often these days. Artists who are true to their art and themselves and nothing else, not slaves to the industry they are a part of. Everyone knows TR could use any number of formulas to make himself bigger, but what I respect about him is that he doesn't. He stays true to himself and his art, that is a very rare thing these days. Just MY 2 cents!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy

pcbTIM Posted - 10/01/2002 : 12:40:41 AM
quote:

I find it comforting, as a Tim Reynolds fan that enjoys a TR show without a blonde bimbo screaming for Crash Into Me.

Erich with an h Posted - 09/30/2002 : 11:27:57 PM
i dont think i couldve summed it up better than Adam right there, honestly. And to give you an idea of what type of fans tim has outright without playing to the masses:

Liz flew to california
I sold my farmaid ticket and bussed to Michigan

And im sure there are countless other stories of people going out of their way to see tim regardless of what he plays or with who.

Erich w/ an h
Erichwanh@yahoo.com
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 09/30/2002 : 10:25:27 PM
quote:

Why's he dissing John Mayer?

Why not?

quote:

So maybe if he wrote words to his songs, or got a singer who could, I think he could be much better-known.

I don't think Tim aspires to be well known by the masses. I like the fact that Tim's music is special to those of us that "get it".

quote:

It's just really tough to come up with songs that non-TR-fans will listen to when there aren't any vocals. I'd be very happy indeed to hear songs in the future where TR sings.

He sings in quite a few of his songs. Check out Sanctuary, Light Up Ahead (if you can find it), Astral Projection, Puke Matrix Live. If making more albums with vocals will attract more non-Tim fans, let him make 10,000 more acoustic instrumental albums before singing another note. Those of us here love all of Tim's music, instrumental and non-instrumental. And He really doesn't need to try to create music with the sole purpose of attracting more fans. He's got fans that worship him right here on this board, and elsewhere I'm sure, and he hasn't had to do anything but be who he is and play what he wants.

quote:

Dave Matthews is the best acoustic rhythm guitarist in the world

Are we sure about this? I mean, he is good, yes, but be careful with that word "best"

quote:

Tim is one of the better lead guitarists of our time

To name one small part of his seemingly endless list of talents.

quote:

it's very distressing knowing that they might not go on tour together anymore

I find it comforting, as a Tim Reynolds fan that enjoys a TR show without a blonde bimbo screaming for Crash Into Me.

You asked what we thought, and these are my opinions.

Adam

Everybody's talkin' at me, I can't hear a word they're sayin'...Just driving 'round in Jon Voight's car...

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
Jamie M Posted - 09/30/2002 : 12:24:21 AM
Take a look at Sanctuary.

And he's been singing a little on this tour also, has he not...?

captain_napkins Posted - 09/29/2002 : 10:30:12 PM
What songs does Tim sing in? I definitely wanna hear that. I know he sang with TR3, but is there anything newer with vocals?
pcbTIM Posted - 09/28/2002 : 3:16:24 PM
TR3.

Erich with an h Posted - 09/28/2002 : 11:46:44 AM
quote:
What do you guys think?

i think you are grossly missinformed about tims catalogue.

1. he doesnt write music to be better known, so if people dont like it thats their problem and not tims.
2. he has PLETHORA of music where he sings, look into it.

Erich w/ an h
Erichwanh@yahoo.com
captain_napkins Posted - 09/28/2002 : 11:19:20 AM
Why's he dissing John Mayer?

Hey, my view as sort of a not-so-hardcore fan is that Tim Reynolds' playing sounds a LOT better with somebody singing to it. So maybe if he wrote words to his songs, or got a singer who could, I think he could be much better-known. It's just really tough to come up with songs that non-TR-fans will listen to when there aren't any vocals. I'd be very happy indeed to hear songs in the future where TR sings. But then, I'd also like to see another DMTR tour too. Ignoring, for a moment, the other issues involved in this topic, Dave Matthews is the best acoustic rhythm guitarist in the world, and Tim is one of the better lead guitarists of our time. Live at Luther is a great example of what they can do, and it's very distressing knowing that they might not go on tour together anymore. I dunno, just my opinion. What do you guys think?
Fluffy Posted - 09/28/2002 : 05:46:59 AM
FROM AN INTERVIEW WITH TR. HIS WORDS ON THE SUBJECT:

You last played with DMB in 1998 (when "Live in Chicago" was recorded) and with Dave in winter 1999. Any plans to play with him or the band again?

We may get together to do some acoustic touring sometime in the future. I was contacted last year, by his manager, to do something. But I never heard back, maybe due to 9/11. Dave is the most giving, the sweetest person. He'd be like, "Hey, Timmy, I love what you're doing. Go for it.' "

The Internet is full of rumors that there was a falling out, or that some of the other members of DMB don't want to work with you.

That's so crazy. I could see how that happened, but no way. For one thing, I know he's busy. I'm not going to call him up and say, "Hey Dave, can we do an acoustic tour?" That would be crazy. He's so much bigger now than he was the last time we did the acoustic shows. On my part, it would be a sell-out move, because it's not what I want to do. And I could just sail along into the big time on Dave's name - John Mayer is totally copping that sound and living off that. I've already gotten what I need from working with Dave, spiritually. But I knew I had to go out and do my own work.

FOR MORE OF THE INTERVIEW, CHECK OUT THIS LINK:

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2463

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 09/27/2002 : 4:25:21 PM
quote:

You have to remember that those performances are TR playing someone elses music. To come to a TR show and expect what he does with Dave is a popular misconception. I feel future performaces with DMB or Dave would only strengthen that expectation. Whereas, TR's constant solo touring do alot to expose the public at large to TR's music as it's own entity. As I know alot of DMB fans respect TR's ability, it seems to me they only want to see him do what THEY expect from him, not what TR's soul feels at any given TIMe. I work for TR and want to see him succeed as an artist and continue to perform from his soul. If shows come up with DMB or Dave, I am sure the fans will be Xstatic, but I don't think those shows will go along way for promoting TR's solo career. That was all I was trying to say. I hope that clears it up.

Very well put Fluffy. Thank you. I'll take TR solo over DMB w/tim or Dave and Tim any day.

Adam

Everybody's talkin' at me, I can't hear a word they're sayin'...Just driving 'round in Jon Voight's car...

Fluffy Posted - 09/27/2002 : 01:59:06 AM
This topic has certainly pulled alot of comments and feelings out of alot of different people. One thing I think it really shows, is how differently even a few people can view TR and his association with DMB. I know that DMB fans respect TR as an artist from his performances with DM and DMB and I never meant to say or imply that they don't respect him. It is more a matter of what they expect from him when he goes out on his own. MOST people are not excited to see TR perform his solo show without the acoustic guitar. They expect the TR they are familiar with from the T+D shows and his performaces with DMB. You have to remember that those performances are TR playing someone elses music. To come to a TR show and expect what he does with Dave is a popular misconception. I feel future performaces with DMB or Dave would only strengthen that expectation. Whereas, TR's constant solo touring do alot to expose the public at large to TR's music as it's own entity. As I know alot of DMB fans respect TR's ability, it seems to me they only want to see him do what THEY expect from him, not what TR's soul feels at any given TIMe. I work for TR and want to see him succeed as an artist and continue to perform from his soul. If shows come up with DMB or Dave, I am sure the fans will be Xstatic, but I don't think those shows will go along way for promoting TR's solo career. That was all I was trying to say. I hope that clears it up.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 09/16/2002 : 11:28:24 PM
The Luther show in 99 was really great as far as the audience. A total 180 from the Des Moines audience the night before. Hardly anyone left during Tim's songs at the Luther 99 show, and other than that they were very quiet and respectful.

Adam

Baboonboy Posted - 09/16/2002 : 1:26:16 PM
Just a thought... Its a been a few years now since the last D+T tour, and the release of Live@Luther. I think the ideal thing would be to have a T&D tour in like the winter of '03-'04, thats NOT on college campuses and not advertised much. The shows will sell out with no question. There is no reason to have a bunch of drunk fratboys at the shows. There is nothing on earth that I would rather attend than Dave and Tim, and its unfortunate for everyone involved that 90% of the people at the shows (at least in '99) were ignorant asswipes.

ICQ - 578587
AIM - bluwaterbaboon
SpaceMonkey Posted - 09/16/2002 : 10:33:28 AM
Yeah, it kinda sucks that T&D got a little too big...to the point where it affected the performances and probably the willingness of both artists to undertake another tour...regardless of whether they tour again I think they will share a legacy of great acoustic guitar performers...I don't think even the most jaded DM-hater could deny that these guys had some freaky chemistry going on...although I can respect their decision if they decide to quit it, I think at the very least they should consider filming one show w/o an audience and release it as a DVD...an official video of some sort would kick ass...as long as it isn't done by the crew who did Storytellers (why would you include shots of T&D from behind?!)

PJK Posted - 09/16/2002 : 07:58:14 AM
Welcome Waffffffle! I am getting a kick out of this topic. I also am a fan of DMB however, although I knew about Tim because of his affiliation with them, his work there didn't impress me enough to become a "Tim" fan. This is not to say I didn't think he was great with them, but it wasn't until I heard Common Margins and Offering....particularly Offering, that I became truely impressed. I guess it is because I "listen" to DMB music but I "feel" Common Margins and Offering. His work with Mike is what drew me in.

Having said that, I don't think musical talent should be treated like a politician running for election...."what will be best for my career." I have respect for Tim because he doesn't seem to care about that. His music is evolving and I for one love it. Even if I didn't, it wouldn't matter because Tim is on his own musical journey and he is growing with it. If we choose to catch a ride great, if not so be it.

Pam

pcbTIM Posted - 09/16/2002 : 05:14:13 AM
quote:

Unfortunately I don't think it would really help Tim's career that much, but at the same time it doesn't seem like it could hurt in the same way that the D&T tours have. However it seems to be just wishful thinking for a fan like me.

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your point of view), that won't happen anyTIMe soon.

waffffffle Posted - 09/16/2002 : 03:29:46 AM
First post here, linked here off antsmarching.org (the last time I saw these boards they looked very different).

I would just like to propose the idea of Tim guesting occasionally at DMB shows. I really think that most all DMB fans (even the meatheads) would think of a Tim appearance at the same level as the other huge guests that DMB has had in the past few years. I think it would be amazing if Tim just randomly showed up at one or two shows in a tour, only played on a couple songs, and amazed us all.

Unfortunately I don't think it would really help Tim's career that much, but at the same time it doesn't seem like it could hurt in the same way that the D&T tours have. However it seems to be just wishful thinking for a fan like me.

Erich with an h Posted - 09/16/2002 : 01:16:11 AM
I understand what youre saying chris, though im still going to have to dissagree... I still think your generalization is way too broad, and you put it into the best words yourself "I can only really speak for myself". the people i know who appriciate tims work, or any solo artist for that matter, are for the most part not guitar players, some of them not being musicians at all. What youre pretty much saying is that for the most part you need to play htat instrument in order to apreciate it in a solo environment, and i find that to be the antithisis of what most of the the posters here think about solo artists and musicians in general, same with people I know.

Being a rather large DMB fan for many years myeslf, though also highly turned off by the tossing about of "true" and "real" fans, I think that there *is* an exceptionaly large fan base that respects and admires tims solo work for what it is and isnt marred by the idea that tim is only as good as he is when hes playing daves material. But understand also that many of the more devoted fans that take solace in online communities make up a serious fraction of the entire fanbase. The rest of the crowd is more likely to not know who Tim is outside of Stream and Lover Lay Down, and judging by most of the reactions to Tims solo work this tour, including but not limited to insane rudeness, heavy drinking and talking, offbeat clapping, screaming for stream, and leaving midshow, most of those fans can do without this new musical direction.

Sitting at the var next door to Conduit, I heard a bouncer and the bartender saying "...and I hear theres rumours of Dave showing up...". Thats the majority of the fanbase unfortunatly, and despite the many fans like ourselves that try to break tim out of that mold, you can never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Erich w/ an h
Erichwanh@yahoo.com

Stay Tuned For The New Tim Site....
DMBFanSJ Posted - 09/16/2002 : 12:54:21 AM
Howie Day's not bad, I like his version of Watchtower/Halloween, but his solo stuff kinda bores me.

Anyway, responding to what Erich with an 'h' said, I agree that it's about what you appreciate more than what you play, but I still think my generalization is for the most part true. Of course there are people who listen to solo guitar or sax and don't play any, but I think those people are few and far between. I can only really speak for myself, but I'm only really interested in solo guitar because I play, and prior to playing I couldn't have cared less for it.

But also, I don't think that playing more with DMB would make people label Tim as 'dave's sidekick.' I feel like I'm pretty in tune with the true DMB fan base and I've never heard real dave fans refer to tim as that. He has far more respect than I think you know. I don't think he'd be labeled that any more than Jimmy Page was labeled Robert Plant's sidekick.

Anyway, this really boils down to personal taste. The people like myself who love dmb are going to want tim playing with dave, and the people who prefer his solo stuff will be crying for that. I guess either way we all win, as long as tim doesn't ever put down that guitar.

-Chris

Erich with an h Posted - 09/16/2002 : 12:00:09 AM
quote:
So you see, unless someone plays electric guitar they're probably not going to be interested in seeing someone solo on an electric guitar unless it's a part of a larger whole (i.e. when he's playing with DMB).

I just need to point out the gross generalization of this statement. I play electric and accoustic and appriciate tims craft imeansly, but if i didnt I couldnt see myself shrugging it off because i cant "relate" to what hes playing. I connect very well to solo piano and i cant play piano for shit. You show me someone on the keys that can rival tims guitar talent and i'll be just as interested. So you see, its not a matter of what you play, its just a matter of what you appreciate. Not to mention, this really came out as a "well, only these types of people will like tims music unless hes playing with DMB, cause thats where hes more important", and that seems way too single minded for my taste.

Fluffy - thanks for the insight, Ive been wodering how Tims solo career would be affected if he toured with dave again. My own personal theories are on the same lines as what you said, that it would pretty much toss him right back into the stereotypical catagory of only being daves sidekick. I kind of think of it like David Byrne, ex Talking Heads singer. Hes worked really hard on his solo efforts, whch happen to be amazing, but hes always asked about the talking heads. I think that the final reunion he did with them for the R&R induction may have caused more people to talk about it, thus causing his solo status to atrophy slightly. I would hate to see that happen with tim. The only way i would see it happening is if after a D+T tour, tim goes off and does like a solo chello and drum machine tour and just weirds the fuck out of people

Erich w/ an h
Erichwanh@yahoo.com

Jamie M Posted - 09/15/2002 : 10:10:39 PM
quote:

I do hear what you're saying, and I acknowledge that this is indeed true of DMB fans, but I can't say that I don't understand where they're coming from. Now, Tim may never have been an 'official' member of DMB, but he appeared on most of the albums and has toured with them numerous times. If Leroi went off and toured on his own and started making solo albums would I take an interest? Probably not. Why? Because I don't play sax and I'm not too interested in solo sax material. The same goes for Carter, Boyd, or any single member of the band. The only reason I take a personal interest in what Tim does outside of DMB is because I myself play guitar and can really appreciate the level that he is at. If I didn't play guitar, though, I seriously doubt I would have any interest in seeing him play.

I actually don't play any electric guitar, which makes me far more interested in all of Tim's acoustic efforts, like stream and nomadic wavelength, as opposed to his hard electric stuff. So you see, unless someone plays electric guitar they're probably not going to be interested in seeing someone solo on an electric guitar unless it's a part of a larger whole (i.e. when he's playing with DMB).

So anyway...all I really wanted to say I guess was that any true dave fan loves tim probably more than tim himself knows. I understand and respect his desire to pursue his own musical path, but I would also beg him not to abandon his role in the band...because even though it's never been an 'official' role, it has been an immensely important one to myself and many other fans.

Fantastic point. Only the difference with me is that listening to Luther College is what inspired me to pick up a guitar in the first place. Because I was so impressed by Tim's playing. So I would have followed Tim's solo music no matter whether I had taken it up or not.
And the reason I ended up not following Tim's electric stuff isn't because I don't play it, but because I have always associated him with D&T, and acoustic playing...I mean, that's the stuff I love. And let's face it, when you place Tim among a bunch of electric guitarists, he's good, great, amazing even, but he's by no means the best. But compare him with acoustic players, and he is, in my opinion, THE BEST. An absolute genius.

Fluffy, I can see your side a little better now, and I'll admit my position is selfish, I guess, because I would die just to see a D&T show. It would be the highlight of my life, so far anyways.
It really is unfortunate that there's such a conflict, and it has to be this way.

And a little off-topic, but I didn't realize anyone was aware of Howie Day, that guy's amazing.

pcbTIM Posted - 09/13/2002 : 10:48:38 PM
quote:

But...the problem woudl be, would Tim open for Dave, or would Dave open for Tim. If Tim opens for Dave, Tim gets booed and gets "Where's Dave" throughout the whole set. if Tim goes on after Dave, everyone has left after Dave's gone. Even if they both played a shorter set solo, and then D&T played together, you'd still have people leaving and booing and just being impatient during Tim's set.

Face it, the fans fuck it up every time, no matter how you shake it.

I guess the only thing they can do is go their own ways........because, honestly, I would much rather see one TR concert (without TIMe limits) than 10 T&D concerts with assholes screaming during solos, requesting the same song over and over again, and use TIM's songs as an excuse to go to the bathroom.

pcbTIM Posted - 09/13/2002 : 10:45:14 PM
quote:

I actually don't play any electric guitar, which makes me far more interested in all of Tim's acoustic efforts, like stream and nomadic wavelength, as opposed to his hard electric stuff. So you see, unless someone plays electric guitar they're probably not going to be interested in seeing someone solo on an electric guitar unless it's a part of a larger whole (i.e. when he's playing with DMB).

I used to be like that too. In fact, I still have yet to play on an electric. But like any type of music, I grew into his electric stuff. It started with the album See Into Your Soul......and just continued from there. And now the funny thing is that I love his electric for the exact opposite from what you said. I'm just fascinated by what he can do with that thing. Maybe I'll buy one someday......(sigh).....I can dream, can't I?

quote:

So anyway...all I really wanted to say I guess was that any true dave fan loves tim probably more than tim himself knows. I understand and respect his desire to pursue his own musical path, but I would also beg him not to abandon his role in the band...because even though it's never been an 'official' role, it has been an immensely important one to myself and many other fans.

That is very true. I'd love to see it happen, too......just not anyTIMe soon. Maybe when everyone recognizes and respects him as a solo artist and they won't shout for Stream whenever he picks up an acoustic........d'oh well.....I can dream some more, can't I?

GuitarGuy305 Posted - 09/13/2002 : 10:44:04 PM
What if Dave and Tim hit the road together, played together, but Tim and Dave also had separate sets. Tim could do his acoustic stuff, or his newer harder edged stuff, and Dave could do his.....thing.

But...the problem woudl be, would Tim open for Dave, or would Dave open for Tim. If Tim opens for Dave, Tim gets booed and gets "Where's Dave" throughout the whole set. if Tim goes on after Dave, everyone has left after Dave's gone. Even if they both played a shorter set solo, and then D&T played together, you'd still have people leaving and booing and just being impatient during Tim's set.

Face it, the fans fuck it up every time, no matter how you shake it.

Adam

DMBFanSJ Posted - 09/13/2002 : 6:54:30 PM
I do hear what you're saying, and I acknowledge that this is indeed true of DMB fans, but I can't say that I don't understand where they're coming from. Now, Tim may never have been an 'official' member of DMB, but he appeared on most of the albums and has toured with them numerous times. If Leroi went off and toured on his own and started making solo albums would I take an interest? Probably not. Why? Because I don't play sax and I'm not too interested in solo sax material. The same goes for Carter, Boyd, or any single member of the band. The only reason I take a personal interest in what Tim does outside of DMB is because I myself play guitar and can really appreciate the level that he is at. If I didn't play guitar, though, I seriously doubt I would have any interest in seeing him play.

pcbTIM Posted - 09/13/2002 : 4:23:34 PM
quote:

Fluffy -

I understand what you're saying and how Tim feels...but you make it sound like when dave fans see tim with dave they aren't seeing the real tim, and they don't appreciate him for the artist that he is. Now, I certainly can't speak for all Dave fans, but when I see Tim at a show he just adds SO much to the experience I can't even describe it, and every show I saw this year I kept hoping that Tim would walk out onstage and just go nuts. His guitar playing and improvisational skill is undeniable, and anyone that sees him recognizes that talent. In my opinion, it's the combination of Tim's tremendous musical talent and Dave's songwriting talent that really makes their collaboration such a match made in heaven. (not to ignore the other DMB band members of course, they each contribute to the magic) Without Timmy, it just feels like there's something missing in my mind.

However, you do need to acknowledge the fact that when a DMB fan hears TIM Reynolds, they instantly think acoustic guitar. And when they see that he's coming to town, they think "another Dave & Tim show". And no matter what you say to try to convince them that Dave won't be there or that TIM won't show up to a DMB concert, they will not believe you (however, when I say this, I am not intenting to generalize every DMB fan, because I'm one and I love TR's solo work.....perhaps more than DMB now). It's just that I've learned from my experiences that the majority of DMB fans are, for lack of a better word, snooty. They act like they are the best fans around, and then there are arguments over who's a better fan (which is ridiculous because they are all fans, and isn't that's what important?) Damn......I'm rambling........see, this is why I don't type messages this long usually because I lose my train of thought. OK......where was I.....oh yeah!

DMB fans do respect TR's abilities, but they only seem to do this when he's playing with Dave. I mean, I don't understand how they can be surprised when they go to see TIM and see him playing the electric guitar. Just look at the albums.......he plays electric on almost every one. Even the Live in Chicago, which I have heard people say they love because of TIM. But then they listen to him play his SG Gothic or Tele and they back off and think "who the hell is this?"

DMBFanSJ Posted - 09/13/2002 : 1:29:52 PM
Fluffy -

I understand what you're saying and how Tim feels...but you make it sound like when dave fans see tim with dave they aren't seeing the real tim, and they don't appreciate him for the artist that he is. Now, I certainly can't speak for all Dave fans, but when I see Tim at a show he just adds SO much to the experience I can't even describe it, and every show I saw this year I kept hoping that Tim would walk out onstage and just go nuts. His guitar playing and improvisational skill is undeniable, and anyone that sees him recognizes that talent. In my opinion, it's the combination of Tim's tremendous musical talent and Dave's songwriting talent that really makes their collaboration such a match made in heaven. (not to ignore the other DMB band members of course, they each contribute to the magic) Without Timmy, it just feels like there's something missing in my mind.

Now, you mentioned Jimmy Page in your post, but how many people would have gone to see Jimmy Page without Robert Plant? It was the combination of the two that created the magic that everyone loved and enjoyed. I feel the same way about Dave and Tim. Tim will always have a niche following of fans that love to see his solo electric/acoustic music, but he has a HUGE group of fans that love to see that paired with Dave's songs. I fall somewhere in between...if Tim came to my area and played a solo show, I would definitely be there, but if Dave came with Timmy, I would go to that show and any surrounding shows and try to get front row tix.

Silky The Pimp Posted - 09/13/2002 : 10:59:16 AM
quote:
Unfortunately, I feel I have to disagree. After hearing the comments of fans and people at TR shows, it has been a long, slow road bringing TR into his own and escaping the people who expect HIS music to be somewhat reminiscent of DMB's or worse yet that he might actually play some DMB songs at his shows. I personally think that if TR did another tour with DM it would be like starting from scratch for him. Well maybe not scratch but starting further back than we are now. Yes he would probably make a few new TR fans, but he would start to attract DMB fans expecting his solo stuff to be like what they are familiar with when he plays with DM. Which would be a setback for us. We are trying to create a audience for TR as a solo artist. We obviously appreciate the attention that TR has incurred from his association with Dave, BUT sometimes it seems detrimental to his solo career. TR would much rather play for a smaller crowd that has come to see him and his music than play for a crowd of 500 where 1/2 or more of that crowd leave bummed he didn't play enuf acoustic or because it didn't sound anything like DM. The thing to remember is that TR has ALWAYS been a artist unto himself. Dave did not discover him. He has always been a involved in projects both prior to, during and after his diversions with DM. Imagine if you will Jimmy Page was a semi unknown amazing guitarist and suddenly recorded an album with John Mayer or Howie Day and it suddenly brought Jimmy alot of attention and then he tried to continue with his solo career with his unknown band Led Zep. The JM fans or HD fans would probably not be real receptive to the the sound of JP's other project. So many people want people to sound the way they want them to sound and don't want to let artists do what is in their heart. They want to hear what THEY want to hear the artist play and not what moves or inspires the artist. It is a tough position to be in. As TR appreciates the opportunities that playing with DMB has afforded him, it has been detrimental to his solo career which is really where his heart lies as with almost any artist. SELF EXPRESSION. He just wants to go out and play the music he writes and creates and be appreciated for that. TR has always been an ELECTRIC artist for almost his entire life. Somehow thru the affiliation with DMB he was pidgeonholed as an acoustic musician, so when he returned to his solo career after much public exposure with DM as an acoustic artist it was an uphill road reestablishing himself as TIM REYNOLDS. He undertook this immediately after finishing a D&T tour and the super high exposure Storytellers. He stepped out on his own with a reformed TR3 Electric Trio and shocked folks who came to HIS shows expecting what they had seen on Storytellers or the D&T tours. They had no idea that TR had had a career prior to his appearances with DMB. As he tried to step back into his own music the audiences came expecting what they knew him for, his predominately acoustic performances with Dave. We spent many years trying to escape the DMB label that was constantly hoisted on TR and his music. Not because he hated Dave or his music, but because he felt bad that people were coming to his shows, spending their hard earned cash and leaving feeling like they had been cheated. He has never wanted to mislead anyone or even try to cash in on his fame thru DMB. WE realize advertising sometimes pushes the DM affiliation much more than we like. As far as TR is concerned, he would prefer people never mention the affiliation because we feel it attracts the wrong crowd for TR. He would rather build his own following on his own. We know and appreciate the opportunities that his affiliation with Dave have afforded him but at the same TIMe everyone need to understand how hard it has made it for him to find his own audience for his music. I see TR's audience as guitar fans. Fans like you would find listening to Steve Vai, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, etc etc etc. Unfortunately those folks probably won't give TR a chance because all they know about him is he is the guitar player for DMB and most guitar afficionados probably don't see the DMB band in the same light as say Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Cream etc etc etc. So as you can see the affiliation with Dave, as good as it has been for TR, has also been detrimental to his solo career. It is a very awkward position to be in. I would love to see TR tour again with Dave if that is what TR wants to do, but I personally think it would set him back in his solo career. Yes it would attract new fans but then we would have to go through the whole "weeding out" process AGAIN by exposing the new fans gained and finding the true TR fans who are really fans of his guitar playing and not just his work with DMB. I am not sure the amount of fans we would gain thru another tour with Dave is worth the years of getting TR back to where he is now. The road TR is traveling at present, has him well on his way to establishing himself as Tim Reynolds. If we continue as we are now, I see TR with larger audiences who know TR as the great guitar player he is and less as Daves sideman. WE have worked long and hard to bring TR to a place where he can tour and attract large enuf crowds to make it financially worth it. Hell, it would be easy to go out and sell TR as the DMB guitar player and sell lots and lots of tickets, but the problem becomes that people come expecting one thing and are let down when their expectations aren't met. TR would rather sell himself as TR and have a smaller devoted crowd who is there to see what HE does. TR does not want to mislead people just to sell tickets. It really bothers him when venues advertise HIS shows in such a way that it attracts the wrong folks. He truly feels bad for the folks drawn to a show with false expectations. For a while on the Electric Trio tour, it was even in the contracts for those shows that no mention of Dave Matthews or DMB was allowed in advertising for TR shows. Much to our dismay, may venues ignored the contract and it's stipulations and advertised incorrectly and then complained that so many people walked out. Well what do you expect when advertise it to a DMB crowd and the artist is rocking out with his hard rocking originals and covers like Ministry, Prodigy and T. Rex. Fans feel they have been mislead and leave pissed off like we lured them there under false pretenses. We never wanted that to happen and tried very hard to sell TR as his own artist and really tried to play down the whole DMB affiliation, not because he wasn't proud of it, but because we knew it would attract a crowd that would have no real interest in what TR was doing as a solo artist. We working to build a following for TR by selling TR as TR, not by using the affiliation with DMB to get more fans in the door. That is not our goal. That is only good business in the short run. You may fill the club once but they won't be back the next TIMe. Our goal is to build a loyal fan base of TR fans based on TR and his music. I hope all this makes sense, if anyone is still unclear on any particular points, I would be happy to try and clarify it. Just ask. There is no bad blood toward DM or DMB, just a desire to be an artist with his own fans who appreciate him for HIS music. To my understanding from TR, even Dave understands this. According to TR, Dave has never showed up at a TR show. TR assumes Dave has enuf respect for TR and his solo career that he would not show up at a TR show because he knows it would take the spotlight away from TR. It would cease to be a TR show if Dave showed up. Dave has no desire to hurt his friends solo career or aspirations. He does not resent DMB fans in anyway, he just wishes they could accept him for what he does on his own and if not he doesn't sweat it. He knows not everyone will like what he does on his own. He is not trying to become a superstar. He just wants to make HIS music and hopes someone out there likes what he does and wants to listen to him make music. TR is a man who will never sell out to sell records or concert tickets. He will always make the music he wants to make and just hopes it finds and audience. If it does great, if it doesn't, he will keep making the music he wants for the pure enjoyment he gets out of making music. He makes music for himself and just hopes others will like it as well. I am rambling again, and I never meant for this to go so long. Teri will complain that there are no paragraphs, but whatever, I just felt like this needed to be out there so maybe everyone could understand the position TR is in just a little bit better.

"Two steps forward, one step back." :)

Fluffy Posted - 09/13/2002 : 03:16:38 AM
Unfortunately, I feel I have to disagree. After hearing the comments of fans and people at TR shows, it has been a long, slow road bringing TR into his own and escaping the people who expect HIS music to be somewhat reminiscent of DMB's or worse yet that he might actually play some DMB songs at his shows. I personally think that if TR did another tour with DM it would be like starting from scratch for him. Well maybe not scratch but starting further back than we are now. Yes he would probably make a few new TR fans, but he would start to attract DMB fans expecting his solo stuff to be like what they are familiar with when he plays with DM. Which would be a setback for us. We are trying to create a audience for TR as a solo artist. We obviously appreciate the attention that TR has incurred from his association with Dave, BUT sometimes it seems detrimental to his solo career. TR would much rather play for a smaller crowd that has come to see him and his music than play for a crowd of 500 where 1/2 or more of that crowd leave bummed he didn't play enuf acoustic or because it didn't sound anything like DM. The thing to remember is that TR has ALWAYS been a artist unto himself. Dave did not discover him. He has always been a involved in projects both prior to, during and after his diversions with DM. Imagine if you will Jimmy Page was a semi unknown amazing guitarist and suddenly recorded an album with John Mayer or Howie Day and it suddenly brought Jimmy alot of attention and then he tried to continue with his solo career with his unknown band Led Zep. The JM fans or HD fans would probably not be real receptive to the the sound of JP's other project. So many people want people to sound the way they want them to sound and don't want to let artists do what is in their heart. They want to hear what THEY want to hear the artist play and not what moves or inspires the artist. It is a tough position to be in. As TR appreciates the opportunities that playing with DMB has afforded him, it has been detrimental to his solo career which is really where his heart lies as with almost any artist. SELF EXPRESSION. He just wants to go out and play the music he writes and creates and be appreciated for that. TR has always been an ELECTRIC artist for almost his entire life. Somehow thru the affiliation with DMB he was pidgeonholed as an acoustic musician, so when he returned to his solo career after much public exposure with DM as an acoustic artist it was an uphill road reestablishing himself as TIM REYNOLDS. He undertook this immediately after finishing a D&T tour and the super high exposure Storytellers. He stepped out on his own with a reformed TR3 Electric Trio and shocked folks who came to HIS shows expecting what they had seen on Storytellers or the D&T tours. They had no idea that TR had had a career prior to his appearances with DMB. As he tried to step back into his own music the audiences came expecting what they knew him for, his predominately acoustic performances with Dave. We spent many years trying to escape the DMB label that was constantly hoisted on TR and his music. Not because he hated Dave or his music, but because he felt bad that people were coming to his shows, spending their hard earned cash and leaving feeling like they had been cheated. He has never wanted to mislead anyone or even try to cash in on his fame thru DMB. WE realize advertising sometimes pushes the DM affiliation much more than we like. As far as TR is concerned, he would prefer people never mention the affiliation because we feel it attracts the wrong crowd for TR. He would rather build his own following on his own. We know and appreciate the opportunities that his affiliation with Dave have afforded him but at the same TIMe everyone need to understand how hard it has made it for him to find his own audience for his music. I see TR's audience as guitar fans. Fans like you would find listening to Steve Vai, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, etc etc etc. Unfortunately those folks probably won't give TR a chance because all they know about him is he is the guitar player for DMB and most guitar afficionados probably don't see the DMB band in the same light as say Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Cream etc etc etc. So as you can see the affiliation with Dave, as good as it has been for TR, has also been detrimental to his solo career. It is a very awkward position to be in. I would love to see TR tour again with Dave if that is what TR wants to do, but I personally think it would set him back in his solo career. Yes it would attract new fans but then we would have to go through the whole "weeding out" process AGAIN by exposing the new fans gained and finding the true TR fans who are really fans of his guitar playing and not just his work with DMB. I am not sure the amount of fans we would gain thru another tour with Dave is worth the years of getting TR back to where he is now. The road TR is traveling at present, has him well on his way to establishing himself as Tim Reynolds. If we continue as we are now, I see TR with larger audiences who know TR as the great guitar player he is and less as Daves sideman. WE have worked long and hard to bring TR to a place where he can tour and attract large enuf crowds to make it financially worth it. Hell, it would be easy to go out and sell TR as the DMB guitar player and sell lots and lots of tickets, but the problem becomes that people come expecting one thing and are let down when their expectations aren't met. TR would rather sell himself as TR and have a smaller devoted crowd who is there to see what HE does. TR does not want to mislead people just to sell tickets. It really bothers him when venues advertise HIS shows in such a way that it attracts the wrong folks. He truly feels bad for the folks drawn to a show with false expectations. For a while on the Electric Trio tour, it was even in the contracts for those shows that no mention of Dave Matthews or DMB was allowed in advertising for TR shows. Much to our dismay, may venues ignored the contract and it's stipulations and advertised incorrectly and then complained that so many people walked out. Well what do you expect when advertise it to a DMB crowd and the artist is rocking out with his hard rocking originals and covers like Ministry, Prodigy and T. Rex. Fans feel they have been mislead and leave pissed off like we lured them there under false pretenses. We never wanted that to happen and tried very hard to sell TR as his own artist and really tried to play down the whole DMB affiliation, not because he wasn't proud of it, but because we knew it would attract a crowd that would have no real interest in what TR was doing as a solo artist. We working to build a following for TR by selling TR as TR, not by using the affiliation with DMB to get more fans in the door. That is not our goal. That is only good business in the short run. You may fill the club once but they won't be back the next TIMe. Our goal is to build a loyal fan base of TR fans based on TR and his music. I hope all this makes sense, if anyone is still unclear on any particular points, I would be happy to try and clarify it. Just ask. There is no bad blood toward DM or DMB, just a desire to be an artist with his own fans who appreciate him for HIS music. To my understanding from TR, even Dave understands this. According to TR, Dave has never showed up at a TR show. TR assumes Dave has enuf respect for TR and his solo career that he would not show up at a TR show because he knows it would take the spotlight away from TR. It would cease to be a TR show if Dave showed up. Dave has no desire to hurt his friends solo career or aspirations. He does not resent DMB fans in anyway, he just wishes they could accept him for what he does on his own and if not he doesn't sweat it. He knows not everyone will like what he does on his own. He is not trying to become a superstar. He just wants to make HIS music and hopes someone out there likes what he does and wants to listen to him make music. TR is a man who will never sell out to sell records or concert tickets. He will always make the music he wants to make and just hopes it finds and audience. If it does great, if it doesn't, he will keep making the music he wants for the pure enjoyment he gets out of making music. He makes music for himself and just hopes others will like it as well. I am rambling again, and I never meant for this to go so long. Teri will complain that there are no paragraphs, but whatever, I just felt like this needed to be out there so maybe everyone could understand the position TR is in just a little bit better.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
__________ Posted - 09/13/2002 : 12:40:48 AM
or the tele. it'd be perfect.

pcbTIM Posted - 09/12/2002 : 11:49:44 PM
Maybe TIM should bring his electric. You know.......have Dave sing w/ his acoustic and let TR go nuts on his SG Gothic.

Jamie M Posted - 09/12/2002 : 11:06:39 PM
I really doubt that happening. But even if it did, with a D&T tour, Tim could possibly multiply his fans, and then the TR fan base grows, pushing out the DMB chumps from TR shows.
My friend was saying he went to visit his cousins in PA, and one kid was a big Everyday fan. He put on Luther for him, and the guy was blown away...So even all the new I Did It, Space Between fans have potential.

pcbTIM Posted - 09/12/2002 : 6:07:38 PM
.....or it might throw a wrench in the works, and just put TIM back where he started. And that would be terrible.

Jamie M Posted - 09/12/2002 : 5:48:47 PM
quote:

I'm kind of hoping that there will not be another T&D tour. I mean, it could just be that I'm not into DMB's music anymore, but it's more the fact that Tim has become Dave's sidekick at those shows and that Tim gets no respect, and that lack of respect overflows to Tim's solo shows with people booing because Tim is NOT Dave, or that Dave is not there. Like the show I went to, where the girl said "I'm just waiting for him to play Crash". That crowd sucked. It was all college frat boys and sorority sisters (the worst of the DMB fanbase) that wanted to hear Tim play, sing, act and look like Dave.

Besides that I was at a T&D show where 75 to 80% of the crowd left during Tim's solos. Rude. And I've heard way too many instances with people booing and yelling "Where's Dave?" during Tim's songs.

So I'm in the Anti-T&D Tour camp I guess.

Adam

You might consider looking at it a different way...
I'm willing to bet that a huge portion, if not the majority of TRUE DMB fans would say they prefer Tim playing with Dave or the band, than either of them alone. So the thing is, the real DMB fans are going to Tim shows disappointed that Dave isn't there, the same way many fans go to DMB shows disappointed that Tim isn't there. Although there are alot of idiots like the one you mentioned above.
I'm a Dave fan before a Tim fan, but I'm a D&T fan before either, and I practically freaked out when I found out DMB was in the studio without Tim AGAIN for BS.
And anyway, I'd say that at this point Tim has established himself a little better for touring on his own, and wouldn't get those rediculous comments at his shows if there was another D&T tour.

DMBFanSJ Posted - 09/12/2002 : 12:35:12 PM
Hey,

Thanks for the response! I always kinda wondered what Tim thought of Dave's music, since from what I hear he seems to listen to mostly heavier music as opposed to dave-ish artists. I love listening to Tim's music, he's definitely an inspiration for all aspiring guitarists like myself.

In response to your comment about musical experimentation, I agree with you wholeheartedly. I think the reason most dave fans, myself included, had a negative response to the Everyday album was not so much because dave took a musical detour, but more because of the way in which he went about it. Had he worked with the band and said "hey, I'd like to try this sound, let's see what we can do with it," then that would have been more palatable. Most of us I think feel like it's more of a Glen Ballard album sung by Dave Matthews than a true DMB album, because of the way he went about writing/recording it. But that aside, the best of the dave fans are still that, and will always be that even if dave never writes another great song after the BS album.

BTW...I think I speak for all fans when I say we really missed Timmy on this tour. He always adds so much to the DMB experience, and I really hope to see him out there for the next go-round (and of course a D&T tour would be awesome too!). I still watch the Live in Chicago show all the time to see Tim's solos.

Anyway, enough rambling. We love you tim!

-Chris

Fluffy Posted - 09/12/2002 : 04:24:49 AM
Tim really enjoyed listening to the last 2 CDs. He said they are the first ones he could really listen too. As he worked on the others it is really hard for him to listen to them. He is proud of his work on them but as with most artists, it is hard to listen to your own music or performances. As he is not on the last two he quite enjoyed listening to them and was really excited and proud that Dave took a chance and went with a harder edged sound. It quite impressed him. It was easy for him to understand why DMB fans didn't necessarily get it as he has encounter the same resistance from most of the DMB fan community with his own harder edged music and performances. So many people expect you to stay to one style of music and don't understand or respect an artists decision to experiment or stretch his creativity in different directions. Keep in mind, freedom of creativity is one of the major reasons TR has persued a totally independent career. Many label offers, but he would prefer to make music the way he wants and when he wants. TR is a family man first and a musician second. He would hate for his career to take him away from his family more than it already does. He loves making music and he loves sharing it with others. I can assure you TR's music is some of the sincerest music you will ever hear. He is always doing what he wants to do and never has anyone telling him what, when or how to play. Except me when we are on tour. HEHE

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
DMBFanSJ Posted - 09/11/2002 : 12:55:21 PM
Hey guys,

I'm kinda new to the boards here, but I've been a big fan of tim's ever since I first heard him with dave (like many tim fans I assume). I just wanted to ask Fluffy (or anyone else that might know) what Tim thinks of Dave's new album Busted Stuff?

PS - It's great to see all of you tim fans out there, now if you'll excuse me, I have to go order some more tim cds!

-Chris

GuitarGuy305 Posted - 09/09/2002 : 5:53:48 PM
I get into music that way too. I've never been a dancer at concerts. Just a listener.

I'm really into being moved by music, not moving to music. And I have been moved amazing amounts by music.

Music can move mountains.

Adam

Arthen Posted - 09/09/2002 : 5:32:37 PM
Back to the subject of getting involved in the music.

I remember last year the WOW Hall show, in Oregon, I was four feet away center stage, (with my notebook taking notes on the setlist and playing techniques!) I just stared up watching his hands and falling deeply into the music.

A Musical Coma, if you will. It was one of the greatest things to happen to me.... I can't wait for my second shot! When's that DVD coming again?

"Don't drink the pickle juice from the pickle jar, until all the pickles are gone."
-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 09/09/2002 : 5:15:39 PM
I'm kind of hoping that there will not be another T&D tour. I mean, it could just be that I'm not into DMB's music anymore, but it's more the fact that Tim has become Dave's sidekick at those shows and that Tim gets no respect, and that lack of respect overflows to Tim's solo shows with people booing because Tim is NOT Dave, or that Dave is not there. Like the show I went to, where the girl said "I'm just waiting for him to play Crash". That crowd sucked. It was all college frat boys and sorority sisters (the worst of the DMB fanbase) that wanted to hear Tim play, sing, act and look like Dave.

Besides that I was at a T&D show where 75 to 80% of the crowd left during Tim's solos. Rude. And I've heard way too many instances with people booing and yelling "Where's Dave?" during Tim's songs.

So I'm in the Anti-T&D Tour camp I guess.

Adam

pcbTIM Posted - 09/05/2002 : 5:26:19 PM
Oh....yeah!!.......TIM rules!

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." - George Bernard Shaw
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 09/05/2002 : 4:57:15 PM
Oops...I meant, TRelated TIM was in LA WHILE I was there, so I got to see him...That was a blast...

pcbTIM Posted - 09/05/2002 : 4:41:54 PM
Hmmmmmm.......I may have to look into that......

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." - George Bernard Shaw
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 09/05/2002 : 4:38:43 PM
I don't believe Leo Kottke ever stops touring. I know for a fact that a few weeks before I was in LA he had numerous shows in that area. I remember suggesting for people in that area to go to them...

pcbTIM Posted - 09/05/2002 : 4:23:41 PM
Definitely......but I'd imagine that he doesn't make too many trips out to L.A........like Bela Fleck.

enthuTIMsiast Posted - 09/05/2002 : 2:23:32 PM
Yep, that's actually the particular TRelated instance that popped into my head. I was just standing there...but it was so much more. If I dance around (which I suppose I have done, I don't hear the music as well. And with TIM, I think it's important to hear the nuances. But not only with TIM. Everyone has their nuances. I enjoy them. And for me to hear and enjoy them, I have to be attentive.

You and Kevin are welcome to go to any concert and stand in the front with me. You both would probably dig a Leo Kottke show...

pcbTIM Posted - 09/05/2002 : 2:16:59 PM
Yeah....I'm the same way.......remember the House of Blues concert? You, Kevin, and I just stood there the whole TIMe right in front. I caught some people giving us strange looks like "Why aren't they moving?"........I think the real question is "How can you dance to TR music?"

enthuTIMsiast Posted - 09/05/2002 : 01:41:28 AM
My problem in going to shows, whether it be with people who dig the music as much as I do or not, and whether it be TIM or DMB, is that I totally dig music in a completely different way than most people. I can sit and stare and be completely into music...most people see me and thing I'm either tripping (hard) or I'm bored silly. Some people who are really into the music jump around. or maybe that was just House of Pain fans...either way. My point is that...ah, I see now... I have no point. I suppose I'm saying that people dig music differently. That is all.

Fluffy Posted - 09/03/2002 : 07:56:47 AM
It is always great to find friends or acquaintances with similar interests. I'd much rather go to a show with some one who is as big a fan or even a bigger fan than myself of something. Although I can't discount the great feeling taking someone who doesn't know about something and turning them onto to it. I think that is one of the reasons this board works so well. It would be alot different if everytime someone talked about TR someone else would "yea, yea, whatever, let's talk about dave. I don't know too much about TR." It also feels good to know that the people around you appreciate and respect the same thing you hold dear. It gives you like an invisible bond to the other people. You may never see them again but for the moment you belong!! It's pretty damn kewl!!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Arthen Posted - 09/03/2002 : 03:39:32 AM
Hmmmmm. That would be awesome! Just the board people! A Tim Board only Tim Solo Show would be awesome too. I remember when I went to Oregon to see Tim, I couldn't talk to too many people in depth about Tim's Work, not to say that they didn't respect it or enjoy, they just weren't as into it as we are here. It would be great to sit and talk about his techniques old songs we'd like to hear. Not just, You Are My Sanity, and Stream, which seem to be the most requested Tim songs. Not to say I didn't enjoy YAMS when he played it.

That was great....

-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 09/02/2002 : 09:50:13 AM
I'd also be lying if I said I didn't want to hear them together. But I'd also be lying if I would rue the day it happened. I'm with TIM in not being keen on getting back under Dave's umbrella. I understand it (as much as I guess a non-famous person can.)

The only way I'd be happy for TIM is if he and Dave came to my house and did a show for only me (and anyone from the board, duh). That way, no one would know, and TIM could still do his own thing... I'd get to hear music that would be FABULOUS... and no one would piss and moan when TIM's solo started during the T&D tour.

Erich with an h Posted - 08/30/2002 : 1:27:08 PM
Id by lying if i said i wouldnt want another dave and tim tour, but I would also be lying if i said i would rather have that than tims solo stuff as hes doing right now. If he toured solo for the rest of his life and they both didnt colaborate again, id be content, but it would still be great to hear how tim compliments daves new material, and how tim would release his new stuff to the crowd (4 cd releases in 2 years....). But right now im happy to see tim solo :)

Erich w/ an h
Erichwanh@yahoo.com

Arthen Posted - 08/28/2002 : 7:21:23 PM
I'm not sure, but my understanding of what was said, is that they will be mass released in september. Fluffy would know for sure!

-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
SeanDMB_Tim Posted - 08/28/2002 : 6:37:21 PM
that is a good point. everyone seems to be afraid of those who would be attracted to TIM for his "side-kick" work with Dave, but what they may be foregtting is that if he did a few shows with Dave and got people into his aoustic work and these new folks want him to be only like what they saw next to dave, he wouldn't lose the people who enjoy his solo work.

Also, i guess I could bring it up in a new room, when is this Chaos-view CD gunna be released to those who cant make it to show. Same with the DVD? just wondering. Or am I the ony one who doesnt know the answer to that?

Arthen Posted - 08/27/2002 : 11:54:24 PM
I think Tim has established himself as an artist. But I can't honestly say, that if I hadn't heard Tim as a guest on the DMB albums, I wouldn't know him at this present time. Eventually I might have heard of him, but I think he has established his own following through his work with Dave. It's great that he doesn't need Dave anymore to go out and tour. And another D & T tour might bring people to his solo shows expecting him to do Dave's stuff, but there is the percent that will continue to listen to Tim for Tim. So I don't think it would be a very big setback to Tim's solo career if he guested with Dave.

-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
LizT Posted - 08/27/2002 : 09:24:12 AM
TR is his own man, I'm sure he does what ever makes him happy. I'll go to any shows I can, which includes TR solo, T&D, or with DMB as a special guest and so on. But it will be to see TR!! I'm quite happy to see Tim as a solo artist. The evolution of TR is mind blowing!

Fluffy Posted - 08/27/2002 : 06:47:31 AM
I certainly wouldn't say TR is waiting around for the call. He is quite happy with what he is doing and probably feels it would be inconvenient at the moment. But he has said he would be happy to do it if all the circumstances where right and Dave called him about it. But he is definitely not sitting around waiting or hoping for the call. Sorry if I didn't make that clear in the other post. Hope this clears it up. All I was really trying to say is that TR has not ruled it out. There is the possiblity if Dave asks him to do it. He is way happy with the new direction his career has taken and probably feels that a D&T tour would just set back his solo work. He has tried so hard to escape the D&T affiliation for the sake of making sure people know not to expect that kind of stuff from him solo or with his band or projects. He likes to be thought of as his own artist and not just Dave's sideman. Hope that makes it all a little clearer. It is so hard to speak for someone else. Sometimes I feel a little strange about it, but that is my perception of his comments to me in discussions on the subject.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Arthen Posted - 08/27/2002 : 12:28:06 AM
Yes, in our life times I believe we will see another D & T tour.

-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
NeverKillADream Posted - 08/27/2002 : 12:17:52 AM
I am hoping as well for a T & D tour, and the future is a long time, i believe i'll see em play, lol

Using The Force Daily...
NeverKillADream@aol.com
Arthen Posted - 08/24/2002 : 11:33:12 AM
Ahhhh, thank you.

-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
KevinLesko Posted - 08/24/2002 : 04:39:00 AM
The Pagan Underdogs is the what Tim calls his new band (read his drum machine and sampler.

Arthen Posted - 08/23/2002 : 10:50:46 PM
Good Point EnthuTIMsiast!

-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 08/23/2002 : 10:36:20 PM
quote:
We will just have to wait and see.

ONLY THE SHADOW KNOWS(read: Dave)

Fluffy

Fluffy, I have to say...it seems to me like TIM is being made out to be the lonely x-girlfriend... or something. If it fits into TIMS schedule, it can happen. I don't know...something just feels wrong about the situation. I mean, the $ would be nice from the tour (and in the end, we'd get more TIM to ourselves), but ... it just sounds like TIM is waiting around for Dave to call. I think we all know that that's not the case. I guess it would be hard to phrase it so that it wouldn't sound that way...maybe I'm just picky...I'm not coming down on you Fluffy (of course), just putting that out there.
So....

Will there be another T&D tour?

If Dave calls, and TIM feels like it, then sure.

I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000