Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Dave Matthews

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Solomon Bundy Posted - 03/22/2005 : 11:15:24 PM
Have any of you guys ever seen this riiculous board frequented by music journos and people in indie and electronica bands?
http://ilx.wh3rd.net/thread.php?msgid=3299377

Its a thread of nearly 2000 all dissing Dave matthews band.
If you have any opinions read that thread then post what you think.
They way these trendes diss DMB is out of order and i think he needs defended.
100   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Hopeful Rolling Waves Posted - 08/05/2005 : 08:11:18 AM
I like music.
Zachmozach Posted - 08/04/2005 : 4:04:16 PM
Ya I think you get stuck when you say real music. It's all organized sound. I just don't condone some of the ways they organize it or the fact that many of the people don't even bother to study music of the past. I mean why not at least try to take a look at a language that's been being constantly developed for years now? Although there are people who aren't completely ignorant to music theory and the history of music that do play electronic stuff or rap stuff or DJ or whatever.

I went to go see Futureman in Eugene a little while ago and he completely changed my mind about what a DJ could be and what digital music and electronic music had to offer. Not only did he play drum and his phiano, but he did all the spinning and beat making a DJ did only he did it all live. Plus he had an incredible keyboardist with him. He is just doing it on another level. Mostly that's what I don't respect and don't appreciate with electronic music or rap is that they don't take it to a very high level of music for me personally. Knowing what goes into most of that music kind of turns me off from getting into it, but there is much more room for it to be expanded and get me into it. It's all real music though. I just think for the most part these people do themselves a diservice by not expanding their vocab especially rythymically as I hate the same beat on repeat with little or nothing happening around it.
dan p. Posted - 08/04/2005 : 1:06:43 PM
i've never been impressed by steve vai's ability to make "terrific music." especially when you put him side by side with mozart. steve vai's music is technically challenging, yes, but i find myself bored more often than not listening to him. i wouldn't put him in the same class as malmsteen (if you can call it class) as far as writting boring pieces of shit. calling that motherfucker a "neo-classical" guitarist is a slap in the face to classical anything. vai's not that bad, but he's not really good, either.

i love it when someone talks about "real music." the subtext for talking about "real music" is always the same. it's "i am ignorant." just for fun, solomon, tell me why electronica/alt isn't "real music." i get in this argument a lot, usually about rap, so i pretty much know how the argument will go, but let's do it anyway. why is dave matthews real music and electronica/ant not?

and, like in a game of scrabble, i am going to have to challenge hkg's phrase "cunt strap."
JoeGamo05 Posted - 08/04/2005 : 12:32:31 PM
personally, i think this thread is way for ppl to escape and vent their anger lol... lets be honest, who really cares, if you like the music then it's good music, who cares what anyone else thinks. Just recently i started gettin into this band Jazzanova. anyone heard of em'?
HotKoreanGirl Posted - 08/04/2005 : 11:57:59 AM
Yes, be careful how you use the term "real music". Unwashed musicians make some of the most brilliant music...take Mozart--he was a dirty-ass mofo. Or look at Steve Vai and Eddy Van H. Those were some dirty-stinkin rockers who make terrific stuff despite their unshowering habits.

Maybe it's the take 3-showers a day, white baseball hat fresh out of the drier, birkenstock, kakhi pant, corona light tee shirit-under freshly pressed button down shirt wearing, banking/marketing/low-end business degreed, frathouse, jock, BAD AT GOLF, into mostly white blonde women, 5+ hours a day reality TV watching, sexist, tasteless enthusiasm for oral sex proclaiming, JEEP, Volkswagen, or Generic American Car driving, top-40 listening, cheap-keg beer partying, homophobic yet gay-at the same time crowd which makes up the majority of Dave's rapidly diminishing fan-base that has you questioning how anyone who isn't as pristinely showered could be into what you think "real" music is.

If you think Dave is Real music and electronica/Alternative isn't, then you are an ignorant cunt-strap. Dave is real music, as well as much electronica/alternative. If "unwashed" is your stereotype of those who like Elec/Alt then I'd say you really are destined to suck cock in hell.

dan p. Posted - 08/03/2005 : 9:32:06 PM
careful how you throw the term "real music" around.
Kazi Posted - 08/03/2005 : 4:07:24 PM
http://www.memorialproducts.net/panels/masons.jpg
Kazi Posted - 08/03/2005 : 4:03:45 PM
http://www.memorialproducts.net/panels/masons.jpg
Kazi Posted - 08/03/2005 : 4:02:05 PM
[file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Desktop/J/masons.jpg][/img]
Solomon Bundy Posted - 07/27/2005 : 09:35:22 AM
It seems the great unwashed Alternative/Electronica types have finally found this board.

Let's hope they now get into [i]REAL[/imusic!!
jjkim1028 Posted - 07/26/2005 : 2:48:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by GuitarGuy305

Hmm...when I was scrolling through this thread and saw those pics really quick, I was hoping Hot Korean Girl had posted some

i am a korean, and i dont know what was that all about....?
HotKoreanGirl Posted - 07/18/2005 : 7:48:54 PM
Obviously, the band speaks for itself.
Too bad they didn't keep their initial these crowded streets talent up.
PJK Posted - 07/10/2005 : 06:03:48 AM
Yeah, I really did like Lousiana Bayou! But for me, that was the only new song I liked.

Sorry Hershey wasn't any better. I read some of the reviews on Nancies. Kind of interesting what people think, there were some that felt the same way we do, others who said it was the best concert ever.

I guess the difference is how much you like the new album.
JoeGamo05 Posted - 07/10/2005 : 02:56:58 AM
yea PJK, i went to the hershy park, pa show. wasn't anyhting amazing (unlike last year), dancing nancies was beastly amoung some others. I find it kinda alet down going into a councert already knowing half the set list (the new songs). Only a few were cool to hear like byou and oyu might die trying was pretty cool. wasn't worth 50 bones though :( thank god it was an early b-day present.
PJK Posted - 07/08/2005 : 6:56:22 PM
Went to see DMB in Camden NJ Wed. night. Awesome jams, especially on Dancing Nancies and What Would You Say, but jeez they might as well have played the whole damned Stand Up album! They played 9 songs from it! I am all for playing new material on tours, but give me a break, 2-4 tops. I sat for over half the concert, something I never did before.

I didn't bother to stay for the encore, wasn't worth the 2 hours it would have taken me to get home. (leaving early got me home in 40 mins.)

Not a totally disappointing show, I still feel they put their all into their shows, it's just that the new stuff doesn't do anything for me. I will say however, that I do like Lousiana Bayou after hearing it live.

Wonder what any of you think of this years tour.

Probably was the last DMB concert I will ever go to.
dan p. Posted - 06/27/2005 : 7:21:17 PM
"Who's to say that Dave doesn't sit aloen in his hotel room writing interesting, thoughtful music that wont ever reach the airwaves?"

whether he does or doesn't doesn't really matter. the tree that falls in the forest makes a noise, but it doesn't matter because no one hears it. bottom line is that it amounts to the same thing as not making a noise at all. i'm not concerned with music i'm never going to hear.
Muskrat Posted - 06/19/2005 : 4:40:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by JemezFoodPeople

so DMB or other vh1/mtv bands release watered-down, mindless music. Does that necessarily mean that they don't still create music that expresses creativity? Who's to say that Dave doesn't sit aloen in his hotel room writing interesting, thoughtful music that wont ever reach the airwaves?
The cd's and tv stations are all we'll ever see of these people because that's all the industry will show us. I tend to believe that a musician who once produced creative works will continue to have that need to create and express himself. Whether that is the stuff he gives you on a cd is a different question. I see two options:
1) a musican always creates original music, known only in his hometown open mics and coffee shops because no label will pick him up and give him the support to spread his "unmarketable" music
2)a musician plays what he wants and also produces works that can be marketable so that he can make a living. Furthermore, that lifestyle is conducive to the continual creative process that goes into the songs that we would otherwise love to hear, but can't because of the industry.

I have friends who are in a band that was just picked up by wind-up records (omnisoul). They used to play logn sets of creative rock/jazz/techno/awesome fusion and they were my favorite band ever. They started to go more mainstream because they want to play music for a living. More power to them. They still enjoy great music and still make great music (keep an eye out for a song caled "Not Giving Up" later on this year, after the market settles down from their pop-hit, "Waiting"), so I know the original creativity is still there.

I guess I'm just trying to say that it's really hard for us to judge what a musician does because we hear only what is filtered through the system.

Hear, hear!
JemezFoodPeople Posted - 06/18/2005 : 11:55:57 AM
so DMB or other vh1/mtv bands release watered-down, mindless music. Does that necessarily mean that they don't still create music that expresses creativity? Who's to say that Dave doesn't sit aloen in his hotel room writing interesting, thoughtful music that wont ever reach the airwaves?
The cd's and tv stations are all we'll ever see of these people because that's all the industry will show us. I tend to believe that a musician who once produced creative works will continue to have that need to create and express himself. Whether that is the stuff he gives you on a cd is a different question. I see two options:
1) a musican always creates original music, known only in his hometown open mics and coffee shops because no label will pick him up and give him the support to spread his "unmarketable" music
2)a musician plays what he wants and also produces works that can be marketable so that he can make a living. Furthermore, that lifestyle is conducive to the continual creative process that goes into the songs that we would otherwise love to hear, but can't because of the industry.

I have friends who are in a band that was just picked up by wind-up records (omnisoul). They used to play logn sets of creative rock/jazz/techno/awesome fusion and they were my favorite band ever. They started to go more mainstream because they want to play music for a living. More power to them. They still enjoy great music and still make great music (keep an eye out for a song caled "Not Giving Up" later on this year, after the market settles down from their pop-hit, "Waiting"), so I know the original creativity is still there.

I guess I'm just trying to say that it's really hard for us to judge what a musician does because we hear only what is filtered through the system.
Muskrat Posted - 06/18/2005 : 11:06:09 AM
... But it's always been my dream to work for a souless corporate manifesto...
HotKoreanGirl Posted - 06/06/2005 : 12:58:15 PM
I agree with both of you guys--some Kenneth, some Dan P.
On one hand, who wouldn't love to make music they love and travel everywhere (even if it is retarded, as long as you don't think so, who cares, it's fun isn't it?)

I do also have an elitest/purest/whateverist attitude about making art with my name on it being a clear representation of me, rather than someone else. Of course I wouldn't making millions of dollars, but I don't think I could live with myself if I did it as a backup musician in dave matthews band.

Similarily, I cannot align myself behind some souless corporate manifesto as some gleefully working peon. Even if it pays a good salary, the dehumanization/ perpetual state of lying to myself is enough to scare me away from such jobs (I've had them).
Kenneth Posted - 06/06/2005 : 09:56:31 AM
Well, I was basically speaking for myself even though I said we all. I meant most people including myself would love to be in a band, play what they love to play, and be as successful as DMB has. I used to be a huge dmb fan but have really gotten away from it the last few years. In fact, I heard Stand Up for the first time this weekend so that's how far out of the dmb loop I am now. I freakin loved their older stuff though. It seemed so original and I'm not sure what's happened now. I don't think they've sold out though like some have said. Their new stuff is different and it's not my fav.
jen-jen Posted - 06/04/2005 : 1:25:37 PM
I agree completely with Kenneth...and yes I play and write music. I have played drums for over fifteen years, piano even longer, guitar, trumpet and flute. Dave Matthews Band is not playing music they dont like or dont want to...it is as Kenneth stated simply a new direction. It's not about making money it's about doing something you love...and after touring for 14 straight years...I think they like doing it (and the music!)

Jen
dan p. Posted - 06/03/2005 : 11:09:15 PM
i can think of a great deal of music with a "calculated approach" that isn't the music of what you term "sell-outs"

say what you will kenneth, but speak for yourself. i mean, i don't know anything about you musically. do you play music? do you write it? because when you say you, or anyone else, would "sell out" for the right price, you sound like someone who doesn't create music. i for one have steadfastly refused to play music that i don't want to. i could have been in a band a couple years ago that went fairly big (if you call being on mtv2 "big.") they got a record deal and everything. i knew they were going to get it when they first started out, too. they had just the right sound and just the right style (they were a pop-punk band.) i refused because a) i have a job that gets me money. to this day, even though it's been a while, i have not accepted payment for performing. the second money gets involved, it ceases to be entirely about the music. and b) i won't play music that i wouldn't be proud of playing. music is who i am. it would be like pretending to be something i'm not, only it'd be more far complete than lying about my name.
Kenneth Posted - 06/03/2005 : 4:20:35 PM
I can't take it anymore. This is brutal!!! If any of us could make music and be well known all over the world and have a huge following such as DMB does we'd jump at the chance and not think twice. I'd love to make millions of $$$ making music and touring all over this great land. Call it selling out or whatever you want. Who gives a shit? Either buy their cd's or don't. Either support them or don't. Regardless, DMB is set for life financially and they can do whatever they want. They sell out alright, every place they play. I tend to like their stuff from Everyday. Not as much as their older stuff but people change, times change, moods change, and with that the music is bound to change also. There is still no mistaking it's their band and their sound. If all their cd's were the exact same I'm sure someone would bitch about that too. But if they have sold out then I can't blame them cause I'd sell out too, just like a slutty whore. But I don't think they've sold out. Why would they? They don't need to. Maybe you just don't like their new direction so you decide to put that label on them. Apparently anyone who has ever been on MTV/VH1 has sold out. So did TR sell out along with Dave since they did Storytellers? No!!!! Did TR sell out when he went to play with their band and tour with them cause he made more money and got more recognition? Again I say.... No!!!
HotKoreanGirl Posted - 06/03/2005 : 3:33:21 PM
cool man, no offense taken! You have a point to--people tend to thrown that phrase around without much thought. I agree.
Mave Datthews Posted - 06/03/2005 : 3:30:08 PM
quote:
Originally posted by HotKoreanGirl

are you saying you think I didn't describe what I mean by "sell-out" well enough? If you don't like it, I don't want to piss you off by saying it, so I could use a different pair of words or word or phrase--but you get what I was saying, right? I thought I made myself pretty clear. Sorry you don't like the term. I'll think of another...
alternate explainations for coloquial, perhaps cliched pharse "sell-out":

1. became like the same crap that sells to millions of uncurious people

2. adopted a calculated approach to "music", rather then unhindered creative freedom.

3. collaborated with a manufactured style--which overrules the artist's unique creativeness by pigeonholing it within the boundaries of that methodical, manufactured style.

4. The music Got a shot in the arm of that pop-smack crap contrived by technical music geeks, who work for major music companies designed to generate $$$$$$!!!!!

5. It's the same formulaic sound production concept that when it's not turning good musicians into frathouse circus monkeys, it's producing boybands for the fingerbanging-then-money-burning pleasure of legions of preteen girls. Formulaic, insipid, hackneyed gallons of trucker urine.

Does this make sense?

it makes perfect sense, and, to be honest, i didn't read the whole thread or any of your posts pertaining to what you defined "selling out" as. i apologize for that, i should've made it clearer that i was just kinda jumping in with my opinion which was based solely on a few things i read about DMB selling out.

and i hope you didn't think i was calling you a bumfuck, b/c i wasn't.
HotKoreanGirl Posted - 06/03/2005 : 3:13:05 PM
are you saying you think I didn't describe what I mean by "sell-out" well enough? If you don't like it, I don't want to piss you off by saying it, so I could use a different pair of words or word or phrase--but you get what I was saying, right? I thought I made myself pretty clear. Sorry you don't like the term. I'll think of another...
alternate explainations for coloquial, perhaps cliched pharse "sell-out":

1. became like the same crap that sells to millions of uncurious people

2. adopted a calculated approach to "music", rather then unhindered creative freedom.

3. collaborated with a manufactured style--which overrules the artist's unique creativeness by pigeonholing it within the boundaries of that methodical, manufactured style.

4. The music Got a shot in the arm of that pop-smack crap contrived by technical music geeks, who work for major music companies designed to generate $$$$$$!!!!!

5. It's the same formulaic sound production concept that when it's not turning good musicians into frathouse circus monkeys, it's producing boybands for the fingerbanging-then-money-burning pleasure of legions of preteen girls. Formulaic, insipid, hackneyed gallons of trucker urine.

Does this make sense?
Mave Datthews Posted - 06/03/2005 : 2:46:29 PM
i just plain don't like the term "sell-out", because it's simply too difficult to define. there is no ONE definition of what selling out constitutes, and it always ends up in argument. but what pisses me off even more is when people jump on the bandwagon and call someone a sellout just because everyone else says they are. LISTEN TO THE MUSIC FIRST, YOU BUMFUCK.

it's like talking about politics. it doesn't take me long to just say, "alright, whatever" and just cop out of the argument.
HotKoreanGirl Posted - 06/03/2005 : 1:38:24 PM
Glen Ballard is the producer of Everyday--working with Matthews. Google him, and you will see he is known for making such artists as Alanis Morissette and No Doubt famous. According to the Coyote Press online: "He did in fact produce, co-write, and arrange all tracks for "Everyday." Don't worry, the Dave Matthews Band hasn't gone so mainstream that they sound like The Backstreet Boys – yet."

That's what got me thinking, if the source was unreliable, as it is not a major publication, I went and searched further, and found this, confirming his work with Morrissette, and his tendency to push his vision into the recordings:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Mar03/articles/glennballard.asp
It is a major audiophile magazine--for producers and audio/music enthusiasts. There were a lot of others, but I didn't bother to look much further. It confirmed my suspicions: Dave has indeed picked up a mainstream producer that has heavilly effected his music, making it sound much like the mainstream "sell-out" crap we are used to hearing. Dave still comes through sometimes, but you can't ignore the overall "sellout-sound".

I just love the stereotypes, as this from another publication thinks along my lines:

"When Dave Matthews Band highly anticipated Everyday was released, it came as a shock to no one that it went straight to the top of the charts among the white hat wearing, corona drinking, jam loving, "Stefan is God" yelling masses."

So Dave Matthews in the literal meaning of the word, sold out way back when, but they really SOLD OUT in the way you and I mean it with this latest album, ditching their previous producer for one whose vision and character rubs off on every album he produces--with that faggoty ass pop sound that you and I hate. So that's what I mean when I say Dave sold out. His depression probably lead him to do it. What an ASSCLOWN
dan p. Posted - 06/03/2005 : 12:00:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mave Datthews
well, "selling out" has always had such a negative association with it... but what is the definition of "selling out"??? signing on to a major record label?! b/c if that's the case, who fucking cares? because if that's the case, then most bands HAVE sold out.

bingo.
Mave Datthews Posted - 06/03/2005 : 11:32:05 AM
quote:
Originally posted by dan p.

whoever is calling dave a sell-out now clearly has no idea what the word means. dave matthews sold out a long long time ago. did you like before these crowded streets? they sold out before that. crash? they sold out before that. of course, they made some of their best music after they sold out

well, "selling out" has always had such a negative association with it... but what is the definition of "selling out"??? signing on to a major record label?! b/c if that's the case, who fucking cares? because if that's the case, then most bands HAVE sold out.

selling out, for me, has always meant that a band/artist no longer does what THEY really want to do - they do whatever markets best (i.e. most losers on MTV/VH1).

you can't really say that pop artists have sold out, because most of them sell out from the beginning... that's why they're POP artists (and why i hate them all).

so in MY opinion (because you know how much everyone LOVES opinions), DMB has not sold out. they've gotten extremely popular and rich over the years, but that doesn't mean they sold out.

most would probably say they sold out with Everyday, but even though that album sucks, i still don't think that makes them sellouts. it might make that was an album that Dave and Glen Ballard made together with the rest of the band just along for the ride. i remember reading that making that album, in a way, saved Dave's life. he had been struggling with depression for a little while (the dark mood of the LWS lyrics makes that obvious) - but that's only what i heard. i heard that he was depressed, so they shelved LWS and did Everyday, and that was refreshing for him and it saved his life blah blah blah.

so yes, Everyday was something that the entire band wasn't really into, but it wasn't like they were really going along with it because it would market well.

i think they redeemed themselves with Busted Stuff since most of it was music we all knew and loved already (even though most still felt the LWS versions were better, but that's besides the point); so that proved that they weren't really moving in a new direction - ED was more of just a fluke than a drastic permanent change in the band's sound.

now, onto Stand Up. *ahem* it's not my favorite album, but it's far better than Everyday (i think most will agree with that), and so far, from what i've heard, they songs are doing well on tour. some might say that they sold out with Stand Up because the songs have a very catchy, radio-friendly, hip-hop/pop-ish feel to them, and therefore they market better... it DID debut at #1.

i don't really know where i'm going with this anymore, but i guess what i'm trying to say is that DMB hasn't sold out. BUT, that still depends on what your definition of "sell out" is...

if any of this made sense, please let me know.

PS - hi all, i'm back. i haven't been here in a LOOOOOONG time but i thought it was time i wandered on back.
dan p. Posted - 06/02/2005 : 9:17:59 PM
whoever is calling dave a sell-out now clearly has no idea what the word means. dave matthews sold out a long long time ago. did you like before these crowded streets? they sold out before that. crash? they sold out before that. of course, they made some of their best music after they sold out
guitarisPIMP Posted - 06/02/2005 : 6:19:33 PM
Yeah, please don't call it a sell-out. I don't like the CD, but it's in no way a sell-out. It doesn't sound to me like any other bands gaining popularity right now like Interpol, Fallout Boy, etc. Not only that, but I can guarantee you that the record companies wouldn't ask of or change a thing to Dave's music, as his songwriting has been getting hits for quite a while now and he's been doing his own thing. He's still doing his own thing now, but I don't like it, and I guess alot of other people don't either. Surprising how many people say they don't like it, yet it gets so much play-time on the radio.
HotKoreanGirl Posted - 06/02/2005 : 5:13:40 PM
call it sell out, call it "make something produced-sounding that is calculated to be popular and reach a particular demographic" Beck is doing the same shit with some of his songs now. Change is cool--just as long as it's a change that you want--I have a feeling the dave we are hearing now is not the real dave--he's been chained up in some dungeon somewhere and the new ultra-calculated dave is here--like a femme-bot or something.
jen-jen Posted - 06/02/2005 : 5:10:28 PM
I love the new CD not only because the music is always incredible, but for the development it shows for the band as a whole. Many of the members tried new instruments and poured much of who they are as musicians into it. I also like the fact that many of the members are singing rather than Dave. Each band member has a song that came from a rif or melody that came from their own head and it makes the music so much more personal. The substance the CD has as a whole is amazing to me. I like the way the music makes me feel...it intensifies. I guess that's why anyone likes music though. This new CD is different than the old Dave stuff which is, I agree, awesome, but I like the fact that the music grows with the band and doesn't stay the same. Too bad that has to mean that people say bad things about the band and how they hate their music...
chrism Posted - 06/02/2005 : 5:04:45 PM
the way things are today, it's fucking sick. "sell-out" is being used by alot of people as a word that subs for "change"
Arthen Posted - 06/02/2005 : 5:03:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by HotKoreanGirl

You like the song "American Baby?" Very sell-out-not-even-dave pooper sounding.

How does that make Dave a sell out? I think the song is completely terrible, but it doesn't mean he sold out. It means he can't write good songs anymore, or if he does, he chooses not to show them to anybody.
chrism Posted - 06/02/2005 : 5:01:46 PM
i like it a little bit, not as much as the old stuff though. i would much rather if they'd play the whole american baby song on the radio, they cut the jam out, those bastards. do they do this on any other stations?
HotKoreanGirl Posted - 06/02/2005 : 4:58:16 PM
how am I am dampener? I try not to get personal or anything. Oh, and by the way I didn't mean any offense by saying I didn't understand what you meant.

Why do you love the new CD? Let me tell you, I like dave's older stuff--really...but this latest one...man it just doesn't have what the old ones had. You like the song "American Baby?" Very sell-out-not-even-dave pooper sounding. (BTW, no offense to you). But seriously, I don't know what you see in this new album. Does anyone?
jen-jen Posted - 06/02/2005 : 4:50:12 PM
Well, "Hot Korean Girl" no one asked if you thought you were unique or not unique...who cares! I like all of Dave's CD's and especially love the new one that came out. From what I've read you're a real dampener to this message board.

HotKoreanGirl Posted - 06/02/2005 : 4:35:29 PM
I am affraid I don't know what you are talking about. I do not like dave matthews band. I am not unique for liking or disliking him. There are plenty of both, although since his last album, as with radiohead's last album, I believe a lot more people are starting not to like either of them. But hi, welcome back after so many years!
jen-jen Posted - 06/02/2005 : 4:07:24 PM
I like DMB, but I guess there has to be a website out there dissing him...wouldn't make me the "unique" individual I am (considering hardly anyone else likes DMB :) ). Anyway, I haven't been here in years...what's up with all the pics of half naked girls?? Where's Fluffy? Does he post anymore???

:) JEN (:
dan p. Posted - 05/31/2005 : 10:24:41 PM
i wouldn't call raistlin wise. he's intelligent, both with books and with his ability to read and use people. he knew others very well. but he didn't know himself at all. if he knew himself, he would have known that instead of being content so throw takhisis down and take her place, he was going to challenge and kill all the gods. and if he knew he was going to do this, he would have known the outcome and wouldn't have bothered. then he would not have had to sacrifice his life. knowing others is one thing. knowing yourself is true wisdom.

tanis always struck me as a pussy. "boo hoo, the elves don't like me. boo hoo kitiara this, laurana that. wah wah wah, i don't belong to elves or humans. i don't like fighting." aragorn is just like "let's fucking fight these guys. what? running? fuck running. i'm the goddamned heir of isildur. deal with me. i've been waiting a long time to be king, and i'll go right fucking through you to get there. sauron? fuck sauron. i'll take this palantir away from his domination. to hell with him." aragorn without a doubt would win. tanis wouldn't want to fight and aragorn would kill him and not even flinch.

the key to the raistlin/gandalf fight, or the fistandantilus/gandalf fight is if gandalf is allowed full use of his innate power. if he is, then he'd win. not only does he have narya, but he could just fucking do whatever he wants. he can shape shift, go invisible. he can do pretty much anything raistlin can and he wouldn't get nearly as tired. once raistlin uses a spell, that's it for that spell. gandalf could just do whatever over and over if he wanted to. plus raistlin is unarmed except for his vast magic power and that dagger. gandalf could match that power, plus he has glamdring.
Ultra Kimchi Posted - 05/31/2005 : 1:28:52 PM
Aragorn seems much more badass in the books--I think Peter Jackson makes him look a lot more pansy-ass in the movie, whereas Tanis has always struck me as pretty upwardly masculine...no sturm by any means, but still pretty manly...I think that fight might be more ofa draw.

Gimli is younger than flint, but Flint makes wild exclaimations like "By reorx's beard!", while Gimli only says "Watch the beard!" Both dwarven men are aware of their beards, but I think Flint might gain power from Reorx during the fight.

That's F-ed up that Raistlin can kill gods. Makes an intereting case that man can achieve god-like status if he becomes wise enough. Though he bible says this is the very root of Satan's falling, I wonder if it says that because it is possible, and man will one day be destined to have battles with a higher authority (or several).

dan p. Posted - 05/20/2005 : 09:07:14 AM
2 dragon highlords and their dragons? or just the highlords. without the dragons, the highlords wouldn't stand a chance. the only one who would even be able to put up a fight would be ariakas because he's both really strong and passed the test to become a black robe mage, even though he never wears the robes themselves.

fistandantilus v. gandalf would be tough. on one hand, gandalf is one of the ainur and technically can't "die." but if fistandantilus were to use the bloodstone on him somehow, that would be game over. also, are we talking about gandalf the istar, with the istari limitation, or olorin the maia with no restriction. with no restriction, probably gandalf. otherwise, probably fistandantilus. raistlin would be able to beat him, since apparently he can kill gods.

tas would be beat frodo. really nothing to say about that.

gimli would house flint, because flint is old.

aragorn and tanis are evenly matched, but i would have to say aragorn because he's far more badass and far less of a total pussy.
Ultra Kimchi Posted - 05/19/2005 : 2:23:00 PM
...who would win?

2 Dragon Highlords vs. 2 balrogs

Fistandantilous vs. gandalf

tasselhoff vs. frodo

Flint vs. Gimli

Tanis vs. Strider

Dave matthews vs. Tim Reynolds

dan p. Posted - 05/16/2005 : 7:01:45 PM
battle for middle earth has been done.
Ultra Kimchi Posted - 05/16/2005 : 12:18:41 PM
I would say battles like that could be like events in a single-player campaign...which would be really cool. It would be cool to have several battles of that scale mixed, or led up to by other lesser battles. It would also be cool if you could team up multiplayer to take part in those battles...it would be cool if there was campaign that could be played through multiplayer--not just random team a vs. team b battles.
It seems there is so much interest for this sort of thing, and LOTR so widely read and accepted, why hasn't it been done yet?

dan p. Posted - 05/16/2005 : 12:12:55 PM
hobbits, at least the bucklanders and tooks, use bow and arrow, if you'll recall the battle after frodo sam merry and pippin came home.

for the elves i would probably put the noldor and vanyar in one group, since they're both calaquendi, and the the teleri and sindarin in the moriquendi group. actually, i'd just be inclined to leave the vanyar out of it, because they're not even in middle earth. unless you bring the battle to aman itself, the vanyar don't enter the equation. not unless it's going to be another war of wrath.

it would really great if the videogame were to be the last battle when melkor returns, as per mandos's second prophecy. that way everyone's involved. valar, maiar, elves, men, dwarves, hobbits, orcs, trolls ect.
Ultra Kimchi Posted - 05/16/2005 : 10:44:48 AM
Yes I was thinking something where the races would have more generic combat abilities--that are race specific obviously--but then there would be certain heros who would have special abilities to enhance groups of generic eleven archers, or dwarven axemen. I don't know what weapons hobbits would use, unless they could be used as a race to taunt and jeer the enemy and distract big battles...lets say hobbits could be armed with slingshots and catapults which propelled vegetables, garbage and excrement at their enemies...that could be a serious annoyance.
Arthen Posted - 05/14/2005 : 06:01:03 AM
You can't have hobbits, that would just be sad. What would they use for combat?

And maybe you could separate the elven classes into two groups, the noldorin/sindarin/teleri in one group, and then the Vanyar in another.

Would it be like WarCraft III with heroes? Because then you could have people like Elrond in it, or Gandalf, Aragorn, Saruman for the orcs, it would be pretty cool.
dan p. Posted - 05/14/2005 : 12:16:54 AM
i wouldn't have any of the ainur as playable characters. everyone would just be them. you could have

dwarves
noldorin, sindarin, teleri elf and vanyar elf (i guess even though they aren't in middle earth)
hobbit
gondorian man, rohirrim, ranger (numenorean)
orc, uruk-hai, olog-hai

no valar or maiar includes balrogs and wizards. oh and no ringwraiths, either.
Ultra Kimchi Posted - 05/13/2005 : 12:58:38 PM
They need to make an awesome LOTR or dragonlance real-time strategy game (not like dark queen of krynn or the ones where you go through enormous worlds...but a game like Age of Empires or Starcraft...one where you could be a varierty of races with different strengths and weaknesses and they would all balance out someway.

There would be the Miar and Valar god-races (dumbed-down of course)
Then there could be a dwarven/hobbit race--little people race
elven race, etc. Or it could be based on locations of middle earth and the creatures that inhabbit them. There are about 7 or them I think, so there could be 7 or more types--that would rock

Ultra Kimchi Posted - 05/12/2005 : 2:49:49 PM
Yes it was be easy to represent takisis as a dragon in this digital age.
I always imagined that to look like Omadon in Flight of the Dragons--when he has all those dragon heads poking out of his back.

What would be scarier, would be a multi-headed Dave matthews dragon, all whining about eating women out.
dan p. Posted - 05/11/2005 : 9:35:21 PM
i wouldn't say something like that to her. it's a bit of a story, and i don't think it's really appropriate to share on the boards.

fistandantilus could be played by that guy who plays doc in back to the future. and if you just have takhisis in her dragon form, there wouldn't be any need to cast human except for when tas meets her. but anyone could play that, since she doesn't show any real emotion.
Ultra Kimchi Posted - 05/11/2005 : 5:16:37 PM
I guess first we would have to decide what kind of movie we would be making..literal translation of the twins trilogy, or the Chronicles (with sturm and all them together). Yes, Laurana sounds to be hot by her descriptions. If that girl of yours knows you think she'd be a good Laurana, I'm sure she'd take it as a big compliment.

I think Fistandantilous must be a pimp.

Sekret map, you no read!

dan p. Posted - 05/11/2005 : 4:07:13 PM
gilthanas was a dude. your thinking of his sister laurana. they're both qualinesti elven. i actually know a girl who would be a perfect laurana. revered daughter crysania doesn't enter into the war of the lance trilogy. if we're talking about the twins trilogy, i don't believe sturm is in it all, unless i'm forgetting some part he appears as an apparition.
Ultra Kimchi Posted - 05/11/2005 : 2:03:39 PM
ah--well it would have to be someone super hot and exotic for galithas...she's elven isn't she? NOT the liv tyler look...time for something new.

Flint...ha...yes how could I leave out flint...hmm, some short portly disgruntled merry-maker...I feel like there are people like that out there that fit that discription but don't have all the physical characteristics. You'd have to take someone like Danny Devito and add a fat nose, a beard and a bunch of wrinkles.

Then Crysania..she's pretty hot too...

And isn't there another female who is super Sassy--ya Kitiara...hotness.

Then again Takisis queen of darkness what do you think she would be?
dan p. Posted - 05/11/2005 : 1:22:51 PM
agreed. but who would you have for flint and gilthanas?
Ultra Kimchi Posted - 05/11/2005 : 09:38:47 AM
Caramon -- Sylvester Stallone
Raistlin --
Tanis -- William H. Macey
Sturm -- Burt Reynolds
Tasselhoff -- ?
dan p. Posted - 05/10/2005 : 5:47:08 PM
i think he'd have a hard time playing present time raistlin physically, although i can see him doing a decent job of raistlin's twisted smile.
Ultra Kimchi Posted - 05/10/2005 : 3:52:56 PM
ah yes--val kilmer...my mistake. how silly of me. yes he was good.

"I'm your huckleberry"
Arthen Posted - 05/10/2005 : 3:49:58 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Kimchi

I sort of Think Jonny Depp might do a good job--I say this based on the way he played doc holiday in that movie "tombstone"...a frail, sarcastic, smart guy. Not so sure he would sound good uttering magical words...what do you think?

Sorry buddy, you'd better check out IMDB again. It definitely was not Depp as Doc Holiday but Val Kilmer. And it's one of the only good Val Kilmer movies, but yes, he was a badass as Doc Holiday.
Ultra Kimchi Posted - 05/10/2005 : 2:21:50 PM
dude, you read all the pimpinist books, I am impressed...wow--yes they would need one bad-ass guy to play Raistlin...the way he is drawn on the book covers would be hard to find in an actor...I sort of Think Jonny Depp might do a good job--I say this based on the way he played doc holiday in that movie "tombstone"...a frail, sarcastic, smart guy. Not so sure he would sound good uttering magical words...what do you think?
dan p. Posted - 05/10/2005 : 2:17:24 PM
i was so furious when they dropped the dragons of autumn twilight option. i love dragonlance only slightly less than lotr. i wish someone would do the twins trilogy for film. though i can't think of anyone good enough to play raistlin.
HotKoreanGirl Posted - 05/10/2005 : 2:10:45 PM
Solomon Buddy...where did you go? Do you still like Dave Matthews? Are you a cute guy? Are you hiding from me? Do you ever check this post? Are you avoiding me?

BTW HTG, those were good Pics...I'm sort of into women as well...if you have any more, gladly post them
Ultra Kimchi Posted - 05/10/2005 : 1:59:38 PM
exactly, like where did all his genuine passion go--like the passion showed in "these crowded streets"...it's like so many other artists who get big and then sell out, and then in dave's case, it's like after he sold out he decided to become something even further from anything I could imagine him...like a really lame indie rock sound--I feel like his band needs to use their great technical skills to craft some sexy, complicated music again. Needs to get more progressive and be not such a poo-poo head.
Arthen Posted - 05/10/2005 : 1:04:07 PM
I like the last part where he stops singing and the little jam occurs. But it's all I can do to suffer through the lyrics.
Ultra Kimchi Posted - 05/10/2005 : 12:29:49 PM
it's pretty crazy these epic stories being retold through movies--LOTR, now Chronicles of Narnia...I heard for awhile they were going to make a Dragonlance series as well, but I guess that fell through the cracks. It is crazy how much of D&D stuff comes from Norse Mythology. I was doing a little reading on it and was shocked at how similar the stuff is. Man.

Dave Matthews = Gully dwarf.
Dont tell me anyone here seriously likes his new song "American Baby"

dan p. Posted - 05/05/2005 : 01:18:40 AM
hahaha, you know me.

i like that story because, as far as mythology (pardon the term, couldn't think of a different one) is concerned, i like those stories that deal with interactions between the gods, or between angelic beings and god, and strife and relationships among them. i find the bit in the valaquenta about melkor's rebellion against the themes of iluvatar and his subsequent fall really interesting. actually, i like the whole valaquenta. the histories, powers and nature of each vala and what few maiar are mentioned. i guess i look at lucifer's fall the same way.
Muskrat Posted - 05/04/2005 : 10:06:36 PM
quote:

i think the story of fall of lucifer is my favorite.

Why does that not suprise me?

Joking, joking...

Definitely agree tho about the monsters thing Arthen; the Minotaur & Hydra are my personal favorites.
dan p. Posted - 05/04/2005 : 4:06:25 PM
i think the story of fall of lucifer is my favorite.
Arthen Posted - 05/04/2005 : 12:24:36 AM
I don't think they are better than Greek myths ( I happen to be a huge fan of those as well ) just different. If I want cool monsters, I'll turn to Greek or Norse mythology.
Muskrat Posted - 05/03/2005 : 10:48:08 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Arthen

And, I may be alone in thinking this, but the Old Testament rules. So many great and interesting stories. Even if you don't believe they happened, they make some great reading.

You are certainly not alone, my good man. David vs. Goliath, Noah's Ark, Jonah, Samson, Adam & Eve, Jacob & Esau, Joseph, Moses, Abraham, Job, Esther, Solomon, and so on and so on... beats the heck out of the Greek and Roman myths in my opinion. Could be because I do believe they happened.
dan p. Posted - 05/03/2005 : 12:54:20 PM
the first part of the silmarillion, called the valaquenta, is the story of the creation of middle-earth and of the ainur, the valar and maiar which may be thought of as greek gods/archangels. that is written in the matter of the old testament. but the the further you read, it gets less bible-like and more a collection of stories that are intricately woven (the silmarils and feanor's oath being part of every story) and dependent on one another. it creates the history referred to sometimes in lotr. some of the characters in lotr are in silmarillion, too. galadiel, balrogs, and elrond for example. reading it after lotr makes everything so magnificantly complete, you wonder how he managed to create something so complex, intruiging, and coherent.
Arthen Posted - 05/03/2005 : 02:51:56 AM
I would agree with that. There are so many lineages in the beginning to keep track of. And, I may be alone in thinking this, but the Old Testament rules. So many great and interesting stories. Even if you don't believe they happened, they make some great reading.
Ultra Kimchi Posted - 05/03/2005 : 02:20:39 AM
I've heard that silmarillion has been compared to the bible...the style it is written--It has been awhile since I read it...like old testament style...any opinions on that?
dan p. Posted - 04/27/2005 : 5:18:15 PM
the silmarillion is the best book i have ever read.
Ultra Kimchi Posted - 04/27/2005 : 2:14:38 PM
Ah yes--LOTR could be a little over Dave's head, don't you think? But then, there is the other versian of LOTR--the one where Gandalf says to Strider "yes, Strider, we shall now be onto ROE-HANNN where we will download PORRRN, or perhaps Minas Tirith, where were shall become lords of Porn Downloading!" "the object of the ring, is to control all the Porrrn of middle earth...thus we must destroy it, before Sauron gets it and uses it to download all the Porn in existence.

Silmarillion...pure sex.
dan p. Posted - 04/27/2005 : 1:43:15 PM
i bet dave matthews would play lotr: the third age. only because you get satchels of old toby and longbottom lead fairly often. satchels.
HotKoreanGirl Posted - 04/27/2005 : 11:55:15 AM
where is Solomon Buddy? He started this thread, now he seems to be hiding...do you think he's keeping his distance because of my past comments? Hey Solomon Buddy...if you're out there, come back to your HOME...this thread...where are you?
{=HTG=} Posted - 04/26/2005 : 2:20:03 PM
quote:

Tim vs. dave at beer pong. Tim would probably win...Dave would be too busy trying to make muppett sounds while throwing the ball.

*swish!*
Ultra Kimchi Posted - 04/25/2005 : 2:58:03 PM
Tim vs. dave at beer pong. Tim would probably win...Dave would be too busy trying to make muppett sounds while throwing the ball.
tericee Posted - 04/25/2005 : 04:15:07 AM
quote:

If Dave Matthews played a video game, what would it be?

If you could make a dave Matthews videogame, what would it be?

It would be called "Take thread to a Dave Matthews message board, please."

If you want to change your question to if TIM played a video game, etc., I'm sure lots of people would love to play.
Ultra Kimchi Posted - 04/24/2005 : 7:34:46 PM
sweet game man! Are you sure Dave knows how do use a computer though? Otherwise, yes, I admit that is probably the best suited game for dave--involving dave or for him to actually play. I'd kick dave's ass in beer bong...I think that's obvious to everyone here.
guitarisPIMP Posted - 04/24/2005 : 7:11:19 PM
I think that's pretty obvious. It'd be beer pong. Championship beer pong, and the more you score, the more money you win to buy weed, which of course, in this game, is an enhancement drug that enhances your abilities to aim for the cups.

Something like this:
http://www.bpong.com/game/index.php
Ultra Kimchi Posted - 04/24/2005 : 6:17:24 PM
If Dave Matthews played a video game, what would it be?

If you could make a dave Matthews videogame, what would it be?
dan p. Posted - 04/23/2005 : 12:59:32 PM
the only difference that means anything between splinter cell for xbox and splinter cell for ps2 is that the xbox has less frame rate trouble. and that's not even a big issue.
tericee Posted - 04/23/2005 : 05:29:44 AM
Ick.
{=HTG=} Posted - 04/23/2005 : 12:07:02 AM
( another )

{=HTG=} Posted - 04/22/2005 : 11:50:02 PM
quote:

splinter cell is also availible for ps2. there's nothing good xbox has that no one else has.

Thats true, thats true. But the PS2 and GameCube versions look no where near as good as there X-Box counter part.

And speaking of Star Craft, what a great game. I was never any good online, but Terrans all the way.

And Muskrat, here you go good sir -

Ultra Kimchi Posted - 04/22/2005 : 11:44:09 PM
so you're a terran huh?
Jiyra Posted - 04/22/2005 : 11:42:06 PM
that's what happens you're playing against me!
Ultra Kimchi Posted - 04/22/2005 : 11:19:08 PM
Agreed about the protoss...the only problem is when I play on Battle.net, I can't seem to get the carriers built and upgraded fast enough. So, I'll have like 6 of them with one Arbiter and a detector--but then people bring the heat with other stuff. But, yes, if you have cloaked carriers--12 of them, with another 12 waiting around, you're pretty much set as long as you don't get raped by a science vessel EMP shockwave, and then raped in the butt-hole by various enemies as all your shields are down.

Muskrat Posted - 04/22/2005 : 11:13:51 PM
I think this thread may go down in history...
Protoss kick ass, nothing beats a hotkey of fully upgraded and cloaked carriers, with a second lurking in the shadows... my favorite tactic.
HTG, do you surf the web all day for pictures of beautiful women or what? 'Cause whenever we need one, you seem to have one in a jiffy. I can just see your hard drive, massive folders full of jpegs.
Ultra Kimchi Posted - 04/22/2005 : 11:11:17 PM
dude, xbox---I just can't get into it. There are no games I like. Halo is ok--but I really don't like it--there are far better first person shooters..why does halo get so much damn praise...it's like fucking dave matthews! So what if the xbox has more power than all the other consoles. Who cares if Dave Matthews musicians can play well and are highly skilled...the music altogether is homo. Anyway--unreal tournament is a far better 1st person shooter than halo...or try counter strike...stay the hell away from fucking microsoft (damn, I wish I didn't have to use autocad, otherwise I'd switch to linux or a mac--although mac quality has gone down.

Wow, that was quite a rant...where do I get all these negativity from?
dan p. Posted - 04/22/2005 : 11:08:35 PM
splinter cell is also availible for ps2. there's nothing good xbox has that no one else has.
{=HTG=} Posted - 04/22/2005 : 10:03:43 PM
quote:

i don't even have an xbox. i wouldn't let one in my house. my hatred for xbox is the stuff of legends. halo sucks, halo 2 sucks. everything on xbox is awful. i'm a nintendo man, through and through. but, xbox is better than no videogames at all. so i make do with what's availible. a friend only has xobx. i'm thinking of jumping ship to ps2 if nintendo doesn't stop dicking around and start making good games consistantly again.

Wow, X-Box sucks? I agree, it does have some overrated games, but have you tried the Splinter Cell series? I'm addicted to SC3, I play it non-stop.
dan p. Posted - 04/22/2005 : 8:45:22 PM
i'm mostly a link man myself, my affinity for the young lad stemming from years of playing the zelda games. i also do fairly well roy and mewtew. i'm awful with the other pokemon, but that's mainly because they're all useless. i'm alright with ganon and the marios.
Ultra Kimchi Posted - 04/22/2005 : 5:21:31 PM
sweet--I bought the gamecube just to play that game...are you versatile at all the characters or have a specialty one? I used to be very pickachu oriented, but then got into mario, link, samus. Now I just play with about anyone...that's hot stuff yo--if only the rest of the world could comprehend how amazing smash brothers is.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000