Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Solomon Bundy
Is Anybody Here?

10 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  11:15:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have any of you guys ever seen this riiculous board frequented by music journos and people in indie and electronica bands?
http://ilx.wh3rd.net/thread.php?msgid=3299377

Its a thread of nearly 2000 all dissing Dave matthews band.
If you have any opinions read that thread then post what you think.
They way these trendes diss DMB is out of order and i think he needs defended.

skyline
Chatterbox

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  11:16:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit skyline's Homepage  Send skyline an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I haven't read your link yet, but I have a feeling that trying to defend anything to people like that will most likely be a waste of time.

http://www.dmbforums.com
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  11:25:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I stopped defending DMB after Everyday. They haven't redeemed themsevles until I get to see a show where they play BTCS straight through. Like a Floyd concert with Dark Side or a Genesis concert with "The Lamb".

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Solomon Bundy
Is Anybody Here?

10 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  11:26:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand why you may think that, but if we spread the word on message boards and get thousands of us DMB fans to do so then we can do something.

If you want to see how angry i am about it just look at the message title and the 1st 3 or 4 posts.

Then you will want to read the whole thing and post.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  11:32:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read the first ten or so posts. They were all started two years ago! Who cares? You won't change anyone's opinion by arguing. It's why I've considered giving up on going over to the DMB boards everytime people start trashing Tim.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Solomon Bundy
Is Anybody Here?

10 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  11:40:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But this thread has continued for 2 years. its still running. If you read the whole thing you do see DMB fans arguing with them.
Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  12:24:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
who.gives.a.shit.

No, really. Who cares. Someone on the DMB board i frequent has a wonderful quote in his sig: "Opinions: Making America Great Since 1776". Go figure, eh?

Stick to wasting your energy on more intelligent things, like underaged Thai prostitution.

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  09:01:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sweet, fresh Thai meat. I'll have mine with rice noodles, please.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  10:01:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Huh? Dave who?

'HTG, are you a cute girl?'
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  10:11:37 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
First of all, you'd probably get more support on a DMB message board, like Nancies.org, antsmarching.org, dmbtabs.com...etc...

Secondly, who cares if they are putting DMB down. DMB is one of my favorite bands, but there are people out there who do not share my feelings about the band. There are people who hate every band you like, it's a fact of life. If you look hard enough online, you can find websites, message boards, chatrooms, etc... filled with hatred for some of your favorite musical acts.

That's one reason I'm glad I like a lot of obscure shit. That way people don't say "He/They Suck(s)" They say "who's that?" and then I can turn them on to some great music.

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  10:20:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, didn't go to the sites, don't care to, but as far as DMB is concerned I have to say I love their music! I have Live In Chicago playing right now and I am loving it! I am anxious to hear their new album even though the one song didn't impress me. I only listened to it once, but what intrigues me is the way they went about this new album. I am sure there will be some great things on there, if only the jamming sessions at the end of songs.

Two things I always liked about their music is the lyrics and the complexity of the music. They weren't the same old simple "oh I love my woman and she loves me" songs so common on the radio.

Their creativity is still there, I know it is, but I don't think we have seen it for quite some time. Still, I am thankful for what they have given us, I am thoroughly enjoying listening to them now, so I don't really care if there are people who feel differently or not. I don't see a point in going on the DMB boards and arguing the value of their music.

As with most of you here, I listen to music that fits my particular mood at the time. I have all genres of music in my collection and most of it gets played often. Variety of artists is key. If people don't like what DMB is putting out, or any artist for that matter, just don't buy it. There is so much music out there why would that be a problem for anyone?

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Robin
Yak Addict

USA
598 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  11:32:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So very well said...Peace, Robin
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  11:36:04 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
here's the thing about indie kids: they suck. they like bands shirts more than the bands, and all the music they listen to sounds the same. a bunch of shaggy unemployables trying to sound as lo fi as possible, because all honest music sounds like it was recorded in a vacuum cleaner. it's not about music with indie kids. they don't like dave matthews because he's on the radio and people who aren't hip as them like them. i didn't go to the link, but i'm certain there isn't one legitimate musical argument there. they think they know a lot about music because they can name a lot of obscure bands. hipsters blow. now you've got me started on these fucks. great. i'll be angry the rest of the day now.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  11:43:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I don't particularly care for DMB's music either, save Live in Chicago, Live at Red Rocks, and UTTAD and BTCS albums. I listen to everything Dave and Tim tho, Dave's percussive strumming and great songwriting is perfectly complimently by Tim's virutosic playing style. I think live the band is, well, a little over the top, I find Boyd annoying most of the time, and I don't think Stefan shows enough of his prowess on the bass...save a few tracks, notably The Dreaming Tree, and Leroi is hit or miss with his solos. I think Dave and Carter are a great band core; maybe the reason I really enjoyed Dave's solo album a lot, just different players. Brady Blade did a great job with percussion. Anyway, I still look forward to the new album, just mainly to see what new songs Dave has written, and hope he gets a chance to play them with Tim.

Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  11:57:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hopeful Rolling Waves

I think live the band is, well, a little over the top, I find Boyd annoying most of the time, and I don't think Stefan shows enough of his prowess on the bass...save a few tracks, notably The Dreaming Tree, and Leroi is hit or miss with his solos.

No, DMB forever!!!!1!!11

Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  2:25:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dan that was pretty much the best post about indies ever!

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  5:11:43 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
that's probably because sometimes i just sit in my room and actively hate these people. that's not entirely true. i'm friends with someone who likes a lot of these indie bands, but it just so happens she's the most fantastic person in the world.

but yeah, for the most part, almost entirely, hipsters end up in hell.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

therippa
Fluffy-Esque

Kazakhstan
1099 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  5:40:02 PM  Show Profile  Send therippa an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dan p.

here's the thing about indie kids: they suck. they like bands shirts more than the bands, and all the music they listen to sounds the same. a bunch of shaggy unemployables trying to sound as lo fi as possible, because all honest music sounds like it was recorded in a vacuum cleaner. it's not about music with indie kids. they don't like dave matthews because he's on the radio and people who aren't hip as them like them. i didn't go to the link, but i'm certain there isn't one legitimate musical argument there. they think they know a lot about music because they can name a lot of obscure bands. hipsters blow. now you've got me started on these fucks. great. i'll be angry the rest of the day now.

dan, I must commend you. Over the last few years I've watched your hate evolve from a loosely connect rant of thoughts to the razor sharp, white hot weapon it is today. I used to avoid threads involving you, but now I cherish them for the humor alone. Keep up the good work.

Aspiring to Be Fluffy-Esque an Alien Abductee!
Go to Top of Page

Solomon Bundy
Is Anybody Here?

10 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  7:57:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But your rant against indies is preaching to the converted on this board.
Why not post that on the board i linked you to? Will take you a few seconds copy and paste.
If you hang around to actually back up your arguments there you wont get shot down, you might actually enjoy yourself.
If you just flame them then its no wonder people react that way.
So go on, post there with a well constructed argument and you win a moral victory at least.
Dont be scared.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  8:01:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Solomon, I can understand where you are coming from with this whole post. A band you love is being trashed and insulted unfairly. But you aren't going to convince many of us to do anything. You don't have much credibility signing up on the board and on the same day asking for a bunch of people on the TR board to go and support DMB.

Most people's first post is a "Hello, I'm getting into Tim wanted to stop by and hang out/learn more/get tabs/etc."

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Solomon Bundy
Is Anybody Here?

10 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  8:58:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fair enough. Forgive me for my bad manners. I assumed it was a given I was into Tim.
Hi!
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  8:59:10 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
scared? hardly. you got a lot of nuts, though, coming onto this board with absolutely no explaination of yourself and call on all of us on a tim reynolds message board to defend a band we may or may not like. nice job.

let me remove some misconceptions you might have. first of all, it's not like you're summoning a legion of knights to stop some grand injustice, which is what you seem to think you're doing. what you're actually doing is asking people from the wrong goddamned message board to go yell at some mean indie kids for making dumb comments on the internet about a band you like. secondly, you seem to be under the impression that if i went over there and laid out a well constructed argument in the case for dmb, it'd be some kind of moral victory. i don't even know where to begin on that, and if that's you're idea of a moral victory, then wow. just. . .wow. i don't enjoy arguing music against indie kids any more than i'd like swinging higher on a swingset than a toddler. maybe you would, but that's you're own problem.

you really got me on the whole being scared thing though. if there's one thing i'm afraid of, it's aruging my point of view with people who disagree. had you started out with something other than "go get these guys for me" you'd know better.

look, if you want to stay here and contribute something besides lackluster war calls, then fine. stick around. if not, just beat it.

here's an idea: do it yourself. don't be scared.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Muskrat
Chatterbox

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  11:01:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Muskrat's Homepage  Send Muskrat an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi SB! I haven't gone to the site yet but I probably will out of curiosity. It is probably futile to defend DMB though. You won't change anyone's mind. Kind of like getting into a political debate on these boards, haha . My own opinion on DMB is that I love all the albums, everyday included. I do agree though that BTCS and Crash are way better. I agree somewhat with HRW, I'd like to see more of Stefan's stuff (although I'm concerned about his vision for the band's future). I tend to like Boyd and 'Roi better on the studio albums more than live. I kinda feel weird saying that though, because I love them live as well... Carter is just frickin' amazing though, no matter what he's doing.

"You know, if you live long enough, eventually you're gonna die." -Words of wisdom from my dad
Go to Top of Page

Muskrat
Chatterbox

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  11:13:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Muskrat's Homepage  Send Muskrat an AOL message  Reply with Quote
OK, went to the site, and, although I admit I read only a fraction of the enormous amount of posts, I didn't find much more than drivel such as "Dave Matthews sucks! Wooooo!" and commenting on how he somehow spawned John Mayer... European Electronica A-holes is what they are. Let them have their opinions, however wrong they may be. I could go on but Dan already described them much better than I ever could.
Which reminds me, Dan, you sometimes remind me of that comedian who's always pissed off at something... can't think of his name... wears glasses I think.

"You know, if you live long enough, eventually you're gonna die." -Words of wisdom from my dad
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  11:43:44 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Lewis Black?
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  12:38:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dan makes Lewis Black look like the Dalai Lama.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  12:32:39 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
True...but wondering if that is the comedian he was talking about.
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  12:49:34 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i'm not worthy to be compared to lewis black. he's extrordinary.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  2:34:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What kind of serial killer/rapist has a name like Solomon Bundy?

Apparently this kind.

Go to Top of Page

Solomon Bundy
Is Anybody Here?

10 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  9:34:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But thats not me.
Go to Top of Page

Solomon Bundy
Is Anybody Here?

10 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  9:36:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And my name is a mix of my grandfathers 1st name and AL BUNDY. (yes my grans name is peggy, hence my nickname)

Even if you dont like DMB theres threads on every band that exists. Just use the search function located at the bottom of every page.
Or have a look at the new answers. http://ilx.wh3rd.net/newanswers.php?board=2

and if you dont wanna then thats cool!
Hope you let me hang around here anyway. I usually just read all the posts but that thread got me so mad it just made we wanna post a link and share it with everyone.

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  9:39:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
God I love Married With Children. I grew up watching that show, and it was marvelous.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Jiyra
Chatterbox

124 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  10:02:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Jiyra an AOL message  Reply with Quote
really? I thought it was supposed to Solomon Grundy, the guy from Superfriends, and that you were just stupid, but I've been wrong before.

But yeah man, Married With Children, I used to stay up and watch that, even though I knew my mom hated me watching it, probably because she thought it was a little too close to our family!

silly girl, sanity is for boys
Go to Top of Page

Muskrat
Chatterbox

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  10:52:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Muskrat's Homepage  Send Muskrat an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yup! Lewis Black, that's the guy.

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2005 :  12:38:11 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
married with children is a fine show, indeed.

welcome to the boards.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2005 :  1:54:48 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Solomon Bundy

And my name is a mix of my grandfathers 1st name and AL BUNDY. (yes my grans name is peggy, hence my nickname)

Even if you dont like DMB theres threads on every band that exists. Just use the search function located at the bottom of every page.
Or have a look at the new answers. http://ilx.wh3rd.net/newanswers.php?board=2

and if you dont wanna then thats cool!
Hope you let me hang around here anyway. I usually just read all the posts but that thread got me so mad it just made we wanna post a link and share it with everyone.

I think it's safe to say a lot of people on this board, if not most, are DMB fans. The issue was not that we are not DMB fans, but that we are not going to waste our time with those fuckers defending a band that they all obviously do not like. It doesn't matter what favorite band of mine they're ripping on. That band is going to remain one of my favorites, and these douchebags can keep listening to the shit they listen to. I'm content with the fact that if you would have never posted that link, I would never know that site existed. And I plan to continue my life as if I don't know that site is there. I still haven't followed the link, and I don't plan to. I know sites like that are out there, but who the fuck cares.
Go to Top of Page

Solomon Bundy
Is Anybody Here?

10 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2005 :  10:55:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fair enough. I just thought id ask if anyone was interested. some people have posted there because of the link and i am grateful to them. At least I tried. It doesnt matter if you dont want to post there, im not having a go at you or anyone who doesn't.
Go to Top of Page

HotKoreanGirl
Chatterbox

130 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  10:10:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave USED to be better than a lot of stuff on the radio…in like 1994. Under the Table and dreaming was a good album. As far as I can tell after that it was downhill musically, as popularity got huge. I started to develope an intense dislike for him as I saw tons of people I had no respect for at college worship him. In my experience, it was all the cool interesting people who DID NOT like him, and all the sort of groupie/unoriginal people who DID. I know there are plenty of very intelligent people out there who like him, I know a few of them…but mostly, I think it’s his overwealming uncurious/unoriginal followers who just go with what the crowd thinks is popular and love him that turns me off big time. I used to have a stereoype (circa 1998) of people who liked him–it went something like this “Yeah, I drive a jetta, shop at Abercrombie and Fitch, Listen to DMB, Phish…

As for actual musical reasons why I don't like him...the first thing, is most of the music sounds like its written to accompany the weather channel...or elevator music...just stuff that has a lot of instruments doing this and that but no great resolves, great peaks...just sort of going on and on boringly. I like to refer to this also as the Michael Bolton, or Kenny G. phenominon...(those two are worse than Dave of course) but it's the same idea--all the music is out there at once, standing in front of you naked...it doesn't go anywhere. IT has all its clothes off and nothing to hide. Then, This weather Channel soundtrack is accompanied by a guy who unquestionably sounds like a muppet--forgive him, it's his voice, you're saying "so what?" but honestly, can you take yourself seriously as you make out with someone listening to music sounding like Kermit the Frog is singing? Top on that he brays like a donkey and trys to be funky in his little retarded acoustic strummings...sorry Dave, white men can't jump.
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  11:58:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What the hell?

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  12:17:15 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Okay.
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  12:23:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Top on that he brays like a donkey and trys to be funky in his little retarded acoustic strummings...sorry Dave, white men can't jump.

God that part cracked me up.

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  1:02:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think we're experiencing the first stage of the metamorphosis of this message board into a DMB one. Those nancies.org people are a smart bunch.

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  1:50:37 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
korean girl, i'm glad you seperated discussion of the fans from discussion of the music. the two are often mixed, when, in fact, they are unrelated.

i'd have to disagree, though. under the table was good, certainly. but their best work, to me anyway, is before these crowded streets. it's far more mature musically speaking than say, uttad or crash. there really isn't a "bad" song on there. there's not really a weak point on the cd. it's more dynamic and varied in tone color and styles. outside of atlanis morrisette, there's very little to complain about.

i often hear from people complain about their songs having no great resolution. if you're talking about resolution regarding chord progression and cadences, think you're really missing the point. if you listen to dmb expecting classic chord progression and resolution, you're holding them to the rules of a style of music they don't play. yeah, a lot of the melodies don't have a definate direction. yeah, a lot of the chords don't resolve the way they would in classical music. but if you dismiss a band for not adhering to rules that are 400 years old, you'd also have to dismiss an insane amount of other music that are otherwise regarded as masterpieces. and you'd be missing out on fantastic music that isn't strictly classical.

if you're not talking about resolution in the sense of chords and phrasing, i don't know what you're talking about. that's what resolution entails in music.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  2:15:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yah, I think that's a big part of Dave's appeal to me, his obvious lack of respect for song structure makes a lot of his music travel somewhere unexpectedly. I personally think Dave's guitar technique is very original and pretty inventive. He admittedly likes the percussiveness of the guitar, and built chords to utilize that aspect of the instrument.

And I agree with Dan P., BTCS is really their masterwork, that album plays out very well, and it has some damn well written songs in The Last Stop, Don't Drink the Water, The Stone and The Dreaming Tree.

Anyway, if HotKoreanGirl wants to IM me, I wouldn't object.

Go to Top of Page

HotKoreanGirl
Chatterbox

130 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  3:14:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Yes, I failed to mention...before the crowded streets is also another good Dave album. That's what I mean--it seems in the pre-crash times he was good, but since then, his musical ingenuity has become more daft and the lyrical subject matter more mediocre...As far as I can tell, there is a strong preoccupantion with smoking weed and having sex. Now, there's absolutely nothing wrong with those things, but it just seems to make up the brunt of the work. God, that line "Hike up your skirt a little more and show your world to me"...arg! Doesn't it just piss you off?

to respond to Dan about the Song structure stuff...I wasn't trying to compare him exclusively to classical music..I think musical ideas crafted hundreds of years ago shouldn't exactly determine weather a piece of music is good or not. It's just that there are many modern forms of rock, Jazz, electronica that sound totally new but still have many of these underlying ideas. Dave has some of them too, but in his later works I find the Jam structure to become the dominate musical form, and it just doesn't seem to go anywhere. It's the on and on...yes it's filled with great phrasing, some counterpoint, interesting chord progressions, phrases shifts--it's technically very deep...however there's just something about the overall direction--it just does not seem to actually MOVE forward. Not that it should have a beginning middle and end, or more aptly put, A beginning a development, and recapiculation, but if it doesn't have a single one of these, it's kind of like, What?" It's neo-reggae Jazz where they got off their asses and were less laid back with their instruments.

So maybe it's some personal thing with me about me wanting my music to just GO somewhere...or maybe I just haven't heard enough of Dave to notice these things...Then again, I've never smoked pot while listening to Dave...maybe that does something? Does it? Anyone?

Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  3:41:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Um, no. Did you ever 'listen' to Don't Drink the Water or Last Stop, I don't think either was motivated by sex or weed, so I think that's a pretty gross generalization there.

I listen to Dave and Tim pretty much exclusively. I think Tim's guitar really lends a lot of direction that HotKoreanGirl maybe be missing, and at the very least builds nicely on Dave's off-the-beaten-path chord voicings and unusual melody shifts.

However, to counterpoint your "DMB Jam" theory, I'm sure if you asked any moe, Phish, or what-the-hell-ever fan if DMB is a jam band, they'd blow a bong hit in your face. Dave music's while lacking text-book structure, is very well held together in terms of Verse, Chorus, & Bridge type structure, with not a whole lot of room for improvisation, other than an occasional extended outro. And to pigeonhole his 'later work' as 'jammy' is pretty under-educated. While in my opinion his 'Everyday' album pretty much sucked, it had more 'pop' structure to it than any of his other albums, thanks to Glen Ballard. Busted Stuff was another album full of tightly wound songs, and Dave's solo album I think was really an opus for him, and again, stayed very grounded in traditional 'pop' values (i.e. So Damn Lucky, Save Me, Dodo).

Your dramatic approach to arguing astounds me, HKG.

Go to Top of Page

HotKoreanGirl
Chatterbox

130 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  4:03:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
agreed, those two songs were not motivated by sex or weed...as many of his other songs are not...but many are! By the way I do like don't drink the water a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  4:07:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTCS is the greatest DMB album ever. There aren't too many albums that I can sit through start to finish without being tempted to skip ahead, but BTCS is one of them. The interludes at the end of half the songs are perfect, the pacing of the album is great (a bit bumpy in some sections sure), and their songwriting was at it's peak. The guests that they had on added so much, especially Tim. I don't like listening to Rapunzel without a driving electric guitar behind it.

I would say that 90% of all music is based on love. As for the weed thing, if you think of weed/drugs in terms of a carpe diem theme, then yes a lot of Dave's songs could be seen that way. I just think of them in terms of a live life well theme.

Just throwing in my 2 cents.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  4:22:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
HKG, we should share some wine, and maybe get high.

Go to Top of Page

HotKoreanGirl
Chatterbox

130 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  4:49:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh behave...
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  5:03:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, a poor attempt at humor, it's a lyric from a live version of 'Say Goodbye'. Maybe just the wine, then.

Go to Top of Page

Jiyra
Chatterbox

124 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  6:15:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Jiyra an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HotKoreanGirl

but honestly, can you take yourself seriously as you make out with someone listening to music sounding like Kermit the Frog is singing?

Kermit the Frog makes every woman hot, I don't know what's wrong with you-haven't you ever heard the frog sing Sexual Healing, Kermit is the man!

Go to Top of Page

HotKoreanGirl
Chatterbox

130 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  6:37:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry, but Kermit totally turns me off...no matter how much in the mood I am, if I hear that stupid-ass muppet voice no man is gettin any of me. Why do guys think this shit works on every girl?
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  7:09:48 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Dave's lyrics do get more trite as time goes on.
Go to Top of Page

Jiyra
Chatterbox

124 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  7:50:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Jiyra an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm sorry, but Kermit totally turns me off...no matter how much in the mood I am, if I hear that stupid-ass muppet voice no man is gettin any of me. Why do guys think this shit works on every girl?

I was really kidding, but you need to relax, laugh a little, life's no fun if you can't laugh.

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  8:28:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Why do guys think this shit works on every girl?

Because I've tried it on every girl, they all had lots of hot monkey sex with me.

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  8:37:04 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arthen

BTCS is the greatest DMB album ever. There aren't too many albums that I can sit through start to finish without being tempted to skip ahead, but BTCS is one of them. The interludes at the end of half the songs are perfect, the pacing of the album is great (a bit bumpy in some sections sure), and their songwriting was at it's peak. The guests that they had on added so much, especially Tim. I don't like listening to Rapunzel without a driving electric guitar behind it.

I would say that 90% of all music is based on love. As for the weed thing, if you think of weed/drugs in terms of a carpe diem theme, then yes a lot of Dave's songs could be seen that way. I just think of them in terms of a live life well theme.

Just throwing in my 2 cents.

Agreed, I skip past it on any live release without Tim.
Go to Top of Page

Jiyra
Chatterbox

124 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  9:09:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Jiyra an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pcbTIM

quote:
Why do guys think this shit works on every girl?

Because I've tried it on every girl, they all had lots of hot monkey sex with me.

see, I told you it works

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  10:01:55 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i don't pay count lyrics against the music, when taking just the music into consideration.

exposition, development and recapitulation, as such, are primarily functions of sonata allegro form. although travelling from the tonic key center to the dominate key center and back is common in a great many song form, it's hardly important to a piece in which the focus is not an arrangement of keys.

interestingly enough, i'd agree with you that jam bands don't really cut it for me because there's no sense of foward motion. that's something i say about a lot bands. i don't care for the stagnant feel. i don't hear that stagnation in early and mid dmb. i definately don't feel a strong pull in any one direction, but i wouldn't call it a lack of momement. i'm not really sure that a piece needs foward direction at all to have merit. for instance, the uttad version of warehouse has little foward motion. the verse music is more or less an ostinato pattern in the guitars doubled an octave lower in the bass. it's not even a progression, really. it's an arpeggio pattern on one chord. i don't think the music suffers at all from that. i might be wrong, as i haven't heard the uttad version of it in a while, but i think that's what it is.

anyway, if your preference is towards music that goes foward, then that's fine. nothing wrong with that. i tend to like that, myself. it just strikes me as kind of funny to not like music without foward momentum, but whatever. to each their own. your tastes are no less valid than mine or anyone else's.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  10:06:39 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
also, i'm heartily against using music as a tool to get a girl in bed. music is an art. it's a not a beer. there's an easy way to tell. you can drink a beer, but they're not that great to listen to. you can listen to a cd, but they taste like shit. if you want to, you know, not treat a girl like a human being, and just want to get laid as quick as possible, get her drunk. does that sound sick to you? what, then, is the difference between getting a girl drunk with alcohol and getting her drunk with corny love songs. use beer, please. you don't have to cheapen an art form to do it.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

HotKoreanGirl
Chatterbox

130 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2005 :  12:57:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
haha--that's funny dan..."don't use music, use beer" Right on with that one...Yeah, I didn't really know what to call it...forward motion, momentum...you get it though...this sense of going somewhere..yes I see it in Dave's earlier to some mid, though the latest..the pop type sound with still Jammingness, doesn't appear to strike those good ol' chords of happiness within...
Go to Top of Page

HotKoreanGirl
Chatterbox

130 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2005 :  01:00:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And Jiyra, I'd like to know WHAT girls you've had hot monkey sex with...do they drive Jetta's? Do the shop at abercrombie and fitch?
Do they like you that much, or are they just transposing their sexual desire for Dave onto you? I guess that's still cool for you, as you're the one getting it, but do you ever listen to them climaxing? Do they scream out Dave's name? Ha, I bet they do...
Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2005 :  01:01:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i wont believe youre hot until you post pictures.

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

Jiyra
Chatterbox

124 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2005 :  02:07:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Jiyra an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And Jiyra, I'd like to know WHAT girls you've had hot monkey sex with...do they drive Jetta's? Do the shop at abercrombie and fitch?
Do they like you that much, or are they just transposing their sexual desire for Dave onto you? I guess that's still cool for you, as you're the one getting it, but do you ever listen to them climaxing? Do they scream out Dave's name? Ha, I bet they do...

did anyone see me say any of that?

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  03:03:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And Jiyra, I'd like to know WHAT girls you've had hot monkey sex with..

Actually....I said that. And if you read my response, you will see that I clearly stated that it was EVERY girl.....which includes you. You just don't know it yet.

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  04:32:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to need names, addresses, phone numbers, and available times for all of these girls pcbTIM.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  08:53:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hahahaha. This thread is cracking me up.

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  4:13:35 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erich

i wont believe youre hot until you post pictures.

It's about time someone brought this to the table...and I agree 100%.

I dig asian chicks
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  7:23:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm going to need names, addresses, phone numbers, and available times for all of these girls pcbTIM.

I don't think the site can support that much data. So I'll give you an easier way. Walk outside...go next door...if a woman answers the door or lives there, you will see my handiwork. Repeat as nesessary.

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  7:39:36 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
your mother lives next door to me.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Ultra Kimchi
Is Anybody Here?

46 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  8:08:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Wesley Willis has more talent in one little finger." in reference to Mssrs. Matthews and band.

The amazing thing about this is that it's true. And Wesley's dead...but the statement is still rooted in undeniable fact.

Dear DMB fans. A dead schizophrenic has a lifeless appendage that is more talented than your favorite musician. Just thought you should know...

I keep hoping you will fight back, rather than disappearing into the ether. I can only assume you are too busy smoking your hacky-sacks, or whatever it is that neo-hippies do when they aren't out doing that orbit-in-a-circle dance or sticking Phish stickers over their fraternity logos on mom's Jetta.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  8:11:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love that when we get to the point of a thread that borders on post-whoring, someone signs up for the board, to bring up things that no one cares about.

Back to the new topic of this thread...the women pcb has had hot monkey sex with.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  9:40:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Back to the new topic of this thread...the women pcb has had hot monkey sex with.

I think the more pertinent question would what women I haven't slept with.

Also, this is a Tim Reynolds message board. If you want to voice your opinion simply to annoy people, then go to nancies or some other DMB site where you'll get your daily allotment of pointless bickering and ego boosting that you seem so bent on receiving.

Go to Top of Page

Jiyra
Chatterbox

124 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  11:58:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Jiyra an AOL message  Reply with Quote
it doesn't matter who you have or have not danced the horizontal mamba with, all that matters is that you provide proof. videos can be submitted via email.

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  12:42:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll settle for streaming videos.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  04:24:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm getting the impression that you guys don't believe me.....which of course is ridiculous.

Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  08:23:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I get the impression that there are some big, fat, floating egos in here. Fuck you.

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  10:33:28 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
you failed to back up anything you said about the talent of wesley willis or dmb with even one example of either. then, after not even attempting to defend your position, you declared it to be an unassailable bastion of truth. that portion of your post is without meaning or substance. why not just write "i'm an asshole" and be done with it.

it was also great how you assume people on the tim reynolds message board are invariably dmb fans. since we're doing that now, looking at your name, i'm going to assume you're some hipster clown from the link first posted, and as such know nothing about music, although you think you do because you can name some obscure bands, who have no talent themselves.

that stuff about neo-hippies was fucking hilarious, though.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  12:56:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry, I lost track of the conversation, I was out smoking my hacky sack.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Ultra Kimchi
Is Anybody Here?

46 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  5:17:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh hi, yes, Dear DMB fans...oh please I don't mean to rub any of you the wrong way...i just think broad generalizations are humorous, and cared to engage in a little not-so-serious discussion with Dave being the subject. So please, bring your witty indie-bashing if you care, or if you seriously don't want me here I can skip on over elsewhere--just you seem an interesting bunch to give some alternative criticisms...all in jest of course.

That being said Wesley willis is a God. He really does have amazing talent...just check out the songs "I wupped batman's ass" or "Cut the mullet" Notice how the language speaks to the very essence of our humanity...

"Batman thought he was bad
He was a fucking asshole in the first place
He got knocked to the floor"

Nothing Dave has ever written comes close to this.
Go to Top of Page

Kenneth
Chatterbox

218 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  5:42:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have spent the last 30 minutes or so reading this thread and I must say thank you to everyone who posted. Hilarious!!! I was having a hard time containing myself since I'm supposed to be "working". And Dan P, you scare me but in a good way. I literally had to get up and leave when I read your part that says... "sometimes i just sit in my room and actively hate these people". Well done! After reading all of this I'm spent. It was great!
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  6:10:59 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
oh, you weren't being serious. alright. hard to tell sometimes. in that case, i suppose yelling at you for not presenting a serious argument doesn't make sense. i like a good sarcastic gibe as much as the next person, and yes, i have barrels full of them for hipsters and their music. anyway, welcome aboard.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

SpaceMonkey
Chatterbox

315 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  6:32:11 PM  Show Profile  Send SpaceMonkey an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Reading the name "Ultra Kimchi," I'm going to assume he likes pickled vegetables...from Korea.

And in the category of mentally impaired African-American songwriters, I'm going to have to go with my main man from Elmira, Caglar Juan Singletary.
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  6:43:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What's the frequency, Kenneth? Welcome to the pod, our probes are gentle...

Go to Top of Page

Ultra Kimchi
Is Anybody Here?

46 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  11:06:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is a "hipster?" When I hear that I keep thinking of Dr. Evil saying it in Austin Powers about someone...
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  1:46:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Kimchi

"Batman thought he was bad
He was a fucking asshole in the first place
He got knocked to the floor"

Nothing Dave has ever written comes close to this.

Are you kidding, I could pull something out of my ass better than that crap.

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  2:28:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

And Jiyra, I'd like to know WHAT girls you've had hot monkey sex with..

Actually....I said that. And if you read my response, you will see that I clearly stated that it was EVERY girl.....which includes you. You just don't know it yet.

Did you do have all this hot monkey sex between engineering problem sets, Patrick?
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  2:33:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What is a "hipster?" When I hear that I keep thinking of Dr. Evil saying it in Austin Powers about someone...

A quick Google search reveals that these are hipsters:

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  2:40:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Alternatively, The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition, says this:

hipster

SYLLABICATION: hip·ster

PRONUNCIATION:hpstr

NOUN: Slang One who is exceptionally aware of or interested in the latest trends and tastes, especially a devotee of modern jazz.
Go to Top of Page

HotKoreanGirl
Chatterbox

130 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  3:26:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
interesting...hipster interested in the latest trends eh? Hmm, why is it that I see Dave matthews as more trendy then just about everything else on the planet...or used to be? Because your so called "hipsters" know obscure bands and set out on their own path to discover their own music rather than what's played over the radio and on cheesy television, makes them absolutely not trendy.

The only thing I see being trendy is if they get together in their own little underground way and start wearing teeshirts and buddy-holly glasses and starting recording "in a vacuum cleaner" as Dan P. put it. That's gay. (Not homosexual, mind you, but gay).

What's gayer, is tons of frat boys trashed on a keg of Beast Ice, breaking into the GAP to steal clothing while throngs of pre-teen girls hackysack amdist their weed-smoking, white baseball cap wearing 1000-and-below SAT scoring, "boyfriends" who are just waiting to play some of Dave's music to get them into the sack.

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  4:28:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Speaking of hot monkey sex...

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=uscc_part1

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  5:24:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
HotKoreanGirl just stepped it up to 'cunt' status. Wonderful.

I wonder which horribly malinformed group of stereotypes you fall into, HKG. Maybe the 'over-hairsprayed, Louie Vitton bag-carrying, pointy-shoed-slut-from-hell who gives no time of day unless you drive a Beamer or have really spikey hair to match the expensive cunt shoes she's wearing' group?

I could have swore I saw a light coming on.

The fact is Dave is far from trendy, it's basically the same group of Dave-lovers who continue to buy his albums and go to his shows. People who listen to Dave generally like to have a good time and for the bulk of my experience, Dave listeners won't give you a hard time and rag you about the music you listen to being to 'trendy.'

I'm no die hard Dave-head, but I'm definitely a TR head, which I am realizing that a few of the newbs who popped their fat heads in here aren't.

Go to Top of Page

Ultra Kimchi
Is Anybody Here?

46 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  10:05:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
argblarg

Go to Top of Page

HotKoreanGirl
Chatterbox

130 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  10:07:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
actually, I drive a Honda Civic, and usually wear pretty basic clothes.
Don't mean to come off being elitist...just am keen to point out certain things that strike me about Dave Matthews.

Wouldn't you agree with the stereotypes I previously illustrated? Hey obviously all dave's fans aren't like that, but hey, many are.

Calm down, smoke on your hackey sack awhile...take a gentle spin in your mom's Jetta. Everything's going to be ok :).
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  11:02:49 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
you see dave matthews as more trendy because you see following mainstream and not following not-mainstream. one being right and one being wrong. i see only equal yet different ways of not focusing on the music. good music is good music, whether it's on the radio or some group of guys recording in their basement. to discount something because of its trendiness or its lack of trendiness is a slap in the face to the artists. take music on it's merit. nothing more. nothing less.

of course, with trends come people who try to be cool by producing the music of that trend. whether it be a pop culture trend or a subculture trend. that only helps feed the whole process of judging music based on trend.

now hipsters. yeah, it's the underwear, but that's not really what i'm talking about. i think i describe the stereotype pretty well before, but just to make it clearer. the people i call hipsters are people who feel that bands like pavement, the postal service, the shins, and that kind of thing are all flawless bands and it's a sin to say something bad about them. you see them around. the messenger bags (worn wrong,) tshirts with comically outdated/random logos on it (generally got at thrift stores) buttons on their pants and messenger bag. this is the person i'm talking about. also, if you make fun of radiohead they will cut you. they will come to your house and cut you.

i like some pretty obscure bands, too. there's a difference between liking a band because it's obscure and liking an obscure band who makes great music.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Ultra Kimchi
Is Anybody Here?

46 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  11:15:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dude, this is a little off topic, but did you take a close look
at those pics of underwear models that terrcee posted? The lower one's crotch reveals total Vulvic buldge going on...damn that's hot!
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2005 :  12:29:39 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
haha. wow, i didn't even notice that. that's either hot or funny. the jury is still out over here.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2005 :  01:21:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's with this constant reference to smoking hacky sacks?

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Jiyra
Chatterbox

124 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2005 :  01:56:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Jiyra an AOL message  Reply with Quote
that's almost a cameltoe! DAMN!

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2005 :  09:25:21 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hmm...when I was scrolling through this thread and saw those pics really quick, I was hoping Hot Korean Girl had posted some
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2005 :  09:46:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weird thread . . . .

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic