New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SeanDMB_Tim
Try A Little Harder

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2002 :  8:41:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am 17. I took up guitar a year and a half agao because i wanted to learn Dave Matthews songs. I am not a frat boy. I am not a pot-head. I am not what you would call a "Dave Fan." But I am. I really enjoy listening to good music. I listen to Dave, Classic Rock, and Tim. I think people should lay off the "Dave Fans." Yes, some are ass holes, but some are not, I know none like the ass holes you all refer to. I think they create great music, and have an admireable talent. Of course, yeah...they are mainstream, whatever. But they made me appreciate real music. I stopped listening to the pop stations a while back and turned to the classic rock music. I can't stand rap. But this message is all about where Tim fans come from. I feel that when you badmouth Dave fans as a whole, you neglect the fact that many Tim fans didnt start out Tim fans. They heard the Luther College CD, couldnt handle "Stream" and wanted more. Thats me. I researched ole Tim and looked for his CDs everywhere. Finally found a couple acoustic ones and listen to them for months straight. At first I didnt really like the harder stuff, but I do now. It is similar to the acoustic stuff in that it doesnt need lyrics. The emotions conveyed by the music speaks to us all individual-like...we have our own mental lyrics. I know when I listen to his music, I can see scenes...like ideas for videos that would have a certain song as its background. I love good music. I was brought to Tim by, your dreaded Dave Matthews Band Frat music. I do not know why I typed all this, just felt like it I guess. I hope it came out right.

NeverKillADream
Yak Addict

USA
652 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2002 :  9:50:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit NeverKillADream's Homepage  Send NeverKillADream an AOL message  Reply with Quote
[font=Comic Sans MS]BRAVO MY MAN!!!! That's what im screaming, Im a Dave fan, Im a TIM fan, period. i love them both, and lots of others, i think people forget the fact that TIM likes DAVE, He's on all but one album, goes on tour with them, etc.... anything thats down with tim should be down with all of us, i agree the Dave fans that come drunk to TIM shows yelling for Dancing Nancies need to get a clue.. but all in all, Nothing's wrong with DMB. AT ALL./font=Comic Sans MS]

Go to Top of Page

dick mountjoy
Chatterbox

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2002 :  10:55:25 PM  Show Profile  Send dick mountjoy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I first heard of tim reynolds when I borrowed a friend's "Remember Two Things" cd, I was wondering who the second guitarist was on some of the songs, especially 'I'll back you up'. And that was my introduction to TIM. I had listened to DMB for a while, I wasn't really a Dave fan or whatever, I listened to everything from Tupac to the Doors. I liked TIM's work on the Red Rocks show but I still didn't make much effort to see what TIM was all about. Then once I started hearing TIM's solo songs from the T+D shows in '99, I was really intrigued. I bought See Into your Soul and Gossip of the Neurons in the Fall of 2000 and I was hooked. What got me hooked on TIM was the fact that he made songs that spoke to me but they didn't have lyrics. That was the first TIMe I could really listen to anything 'music' based rather than 'word' based. People I had listen to TIM kept saying 'how can you listen to that? it just puts me to sleep'. They just don't get it I guess. I musta listened to Gossip for a couple months straight before I found Astral Projection. That cd just doubled what I thought TR was musically. All I had heard up to that point was acoustic based freeform guitar. The whole electric thing just gave me another side of TIM to explore. Then I found the old jazz stuff he did with TR3, then the stuff he did with Greg Howard and Soko, and on and on. TIM and his collaborations with other talented artists (yes including Dave) have given me enough music to chew on for a long TIMe. Enough rambling from me...

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2002 :  1:47:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
damned right. i was a hardcore(still am i guess too) dave matthews fan, and never heard of tim until live at luther stuff. once i heard stream then i started listening in on all my dave stuff for the tim reynolds parts. it took me about a year after that to finally pick up some tim cds, but i still can't find any of his stuff in local stores. so far i have nomadic wavelength, see into you soul, and the first cd of ID. i'm trying to build up some more, i really wanna hear the TR3 stuff soon too!

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2002 :  9:47:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm 16, I picked up guitar half a year ago. I first heard Tim on the Red Rocks album playing his small solo for Watchtower. Then, I picked up Luther not knowing what to expect, and was blown away, especially by Stream. I bought Gossip of the Nuerons, then Stream.

"I tell you what, I'm not that easily amused ...wow, a blue car!" Homer Simpson.
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2002 :  9:15:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Seandmb-TIM, I thought this link might help to answer your question. It is a post where alot of the member of the board answer the question how they got into TR. Check it out, very imformative.

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=78

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

vibenvixen
Is Anybody Here?

11 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2002 :  8:01:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
re: the "Dave Fan" business... um, I saw The Dave Matthews Band for the first time when they opened for the Grateful Dead in Vegas in, uh, '93?, I think... cuz '94 was the last year, and Traffic opened, so I'm thinking it was '93, someone correct me if I'm wrong...

anyway, I was like yeah, yeah, blah blah band, whatever... who are these guys? When we sat down they were playing "What Would You Say?" and I said: "ew. So that's who these guys are... I hate that song!"
but when they played their next song, they got my attention... they were jammin into some space and it was jazzy (I love jazz) and I said: oh man, I gotta see this band again if they come near me... they jam in little sessions like the Dead..

I heard the Luther cd at a friends house (who has countless GD boots)... so I figured it was a boot... I was drooling! I was saying how lucky he was to get all those boots and stuff... I was like: Who the hell is that playing with Dave? He is fucking amazing!
then he clued me in...

*Then* I saw Tim & Dave on Storytellers and I taped it!
OMG!!! My jaw was on the ground! I couldn't even believe that those sounds were coming from a guitar! I was simply floored.
I didn't even watch Dave... I was focused on Tim the entire time... (side note: Dave is not a good storyteller IMO, btw)

Then I saw Erich on another board, and saw that he had Tim in his avatar... and well, here I am.
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2002 :  05:32:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Glad to have ya here vibenvixen!!! Interesting how things work in this crazy mixed up world. You found TR thru the Dead, that may be one of the more unusual ways to discover him. Very KEWL!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

FeelingDoors
Is Anybody Here?

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2002 :  3:23:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thinlk everybody's first experience with Tim is jaw dropping. I, like a whole hecka of a lot of people, first saw Tim play with Dave at the Warfield in SF. To put it eloquently, I crapped my pants. Twice. Yeah, so right about after I got home, I logged on to the world wide web and continued to read up on tim. So now, I like Dave and Tim and they're cool. Yeah.

Happiness is like peeing your pants, Everyone can see it but only you can feel it's warmth
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000