How I got into Tim
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Erich with an h
Yak Addict

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2001 :  10:12:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Erich with an h's Homepage  Send Erich with an h an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I told Jessica this story, and i kind of like telling it.

When Live @ Luthor College was about to be released, i was so psyked. The thought of all my favourite DMB songs stripped down to just two accoustics made me flip, especialy the thought of hearing (what would become my favourite version of) #41. So it finaly got released, and sure enough, i beat those discs to hell. I played them day in and day out, it was one of my favourite albums. What dumbstruck me though was thiss odd instrumental track called Stream in the middle of the set. I couldnt get enough of it, it was beyond anything ive ever heard. the last part of that song sent shivers down my spine each time, and each time i would sit there in awe just wondering how that harmonic was repeating in the background for so long...

So along comes the MP3 craze, and i find myself later that year downloading songs from the '99 D+T tour, in hopes to find some sweet #41's and maybe a Deed Is Done. Along comes some Tim solos. I download these thinking that they should be interesteing, as theyre titled Tim Solo (Unknown). I was floored. At first, and for a short time after, I thought that these were complete 100% improvs, but it still says a lot now that i know i was still half right. Anyway, i ended up with Open Up Let And It In, though i didnt know the name, and its since been my favourite Tim song. As a guitarest i have never imagined someone aproaching it in such a way.

Well, time passes and i find looseinterpretations.com, and check out their MP3 section, only to find i missed Tim only days before in NYC for his October '00 performance (Wetlands). Im listening to some songs, when Open Up and Let it In comes on and i imeadiatly recognize it. I think, hey, thats the unknown timmy solo! It really has a name! since then i spent my time learning the names of all those solos and trying to educate people in tims music, and it still frustrated me to no end that i see Tim Solo (unknown), which i thank nancies.org for spreading

so fast forward to today, where Jessica is now off to see Tim, i have seen him twice, and Im still collecting the names of the '99 solos:

http:/www.geocities.com/erichwanh/TimSolos99.txt

anyone want to share their stories?

Erich w/ an h
Erichwanh@yahoo.com
The Tim Reynolds Tour and Recording Database

Jamie M
Chatterbox

Canada
404 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2001 :  11:02:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's funny, my story is very similar. Christmas, 1999. Dave Matthews Band had just recently become my favourite band beating out Pearl Jam, and I'd been given the highly recommended Live @ Luther College. The only Tim Reynolds I'd heard before was an mp3 of #41 I'd downloaded a few months before. I'm not sure when it really clicked in my mind how amazing TR is, but L@LC was my favourite album very quickly, and I could listen to his solos in my mind without playing the album. Stream baffled me just the same as it did Erich, and by March I was learning to play guitar myself in awe of the music that was being made on that cd. Around October 2000 I discovered a DMB mp3 site now called minarets.net and I downloaded an "untitled" TR solo. The solo was the most amazing thing I'd ever heard, and to this day is still my favourite version of any Tim song I've heard performed. I didn't find out until about May 2001 that the song was called Breathing Space. I discovered this site around November 2000 and have been coming back ever since.

I'm interested in hearing how all the original Tim fans discovered him.

Go to Top of Page

will
Is Anybody Here?

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2001 :  11:44:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got into Tim via an incomplete D&T show I got my freshman year in
college. A girl who lived on my floor gave me a copy of 2.19.96 on tape--but only from "Hold Me Down" to "Watchtower". I remember listening to it repeatedly while I was studying and I was so disoriented by their sound that I didn't know what was going on. I had basically been listening to hip-hop/funk/some jazz as a kid and I had no clue what was going on here. "Stream? What the f*ck was that? That was crazy! Was that just one guy?" When Dave says thanks for listening to the two us and our banjos I almost believed that's what the other guy was playing because I couldn't identify his sound with anything else. I listened to that tape constantly that whole summer and got a couple more D&T shows the following year and then Gossip and Sanctuary.

The actual conversion didn't happen until I saw TR3. At that point I was in awe. They sounded so fresh at the time when people like Limp Bizkit were getting big, and they sounded infinitely funkier. Now, I kinda prefer the acoustic stuff just because of the effects and the range of sound he gets out of it. I don't play or know dick about the guitar so my experience ends with listening...which has its pros and cons, so some of you guys will have to point some stuff out to me.

The biggest reason I'm a fan, though, is probably because I have a ton of respect for musicians who really turn their nose at trends-and the music biz in general-and follow their muse.

"This guitar is called sister. This guitar is called brother. I'm the bus driver and we're comin' home from school."
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2001 :  12:50:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too, am a Tim convert as of Stream off of Live At Luther! I had just started playing the guitar when it came out and was looking for a bunch of guitar music when Stream hits the speakers, and I think oh that's nice Dave's going to throw Tim a bone. But holy shit! He blew me and my little nice logically wired mind, especially at the end with the looping and effects, my friend said, no way is that one guitar, that's a sitar or something.

Since then, it has gone from Stream (the re-released version), to See into your sould, to Astral Projection, to Nomadic Wavelength, and finally two days ago I got my paws on Gossip of the Neurons my now favorite album espeically the short and sweet version of Kundalini and Big Blast.

Tim is my god!
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2001 :  01:24:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I discovered Tim on a D&T bootleg that a friend gave to me before Live at Luther came out. Tim's solo on that show was "Letting Go" with "Protoplasm Pulsar Spasm" thrown in the middle as a badass medley... and when I heard it and realized that it was one guy playing one guitar, I was nothing short of blown away. It was, and still remains, one of the most intense sounds I have ever heard come from a guitar. There is a point where I swear it sounds like people screaming... eerie to say the least. It is the most amazing version of that song I have ever heard. Then of course when I heard "Stream" on Live at Luther I was hooked. I searched the net for some Tim music and stumbled across the MP3 section at looseinterpretations.com and I've been hooked and awed ever since. I'm not sure as to the date of the bootleg, but I know it was a show in Denver. If you can get your hands on it the version of "Letting Go" is amazing... definitely worth a listen.
-J

Go to Top of Page

Isaac
Chatterbox

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2001 :  09:10:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess i took a slightly different route then the rest of ya'll. I knew and loved L@L and i knew Tim Reynolds was an amazing guitarist, but i was a huge DMB fan and I never really gave much thought to what the guy could do on his own.

Well early this year the well data to enter at wrok dried up temporarily, and i wound up sitting on my ass playing on the internet for almost 3 weeks. Well I spent most of that time reading album reviews and band biographies on www.allmusic.com and when i read the live at luther one i linked to the Tim Reynolds biography.

Of course it sounded cool, and it gave me big goosebumps when it listed all the instruments he can play and refered to him as an underrated master (usually those reviewers are quite jaded). So I thought i'd look into him a bit more. I found this site and streamed the House of Blues show. It only took a few minuts and i was hooked. The only person i'd ever seen play a 12-string fingerstyle was Brian May breifly on a DVD i have, and here Tim Reynolds was just mad-handling the thing, and ringing out these gorgeous melodies. I watched that entire video and quickly downloaded some mp3's of show and all the videos on the server and its been one big descent from there.

Isaac

"Father up above, why in all this hatred do ya fill me up with Love, Love Love..."
Go to Top of Page

Erich with an h
Yak Addict

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2001 :  4:02:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Erich with an h's Homepage  Send Erich with an h an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I discovered Tim on a D&T bootleg that a friend gave to me before Live at Luther came out. Tim's solo on that show was "Letting Go" with "Protoplasm Pulsar Spasm" thrown in the middle as a badass medley... and when I heard it and realized that it was one guy playing one guitar, I was nothing short of blown away. It was, and still remains, one of the most intense sounds I have ever heard come from a guitar. There is a point where I swear it sounds like people screaming... eerie to say the least. It is the most amazing version of that song I have ever heard. [...] If you can get your hands on it the version of "Letting Go" is amazing... definitely worth a listen.
-J

hey Jeff, I dont know if the version youre talking about is the same one im hooked on, but theres a version of Letting Go from '99 that gives me fucking chills every time, it is the sickest shit ive ever heard.

Erich w/ an h
Erichwanh@yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2001 :  4:10:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Might be... I don't know what the date of the show was except that it was in Denver because Dave made a special point to talk about how the high altitude affects him before the show started. Starts of with a cool version of "Lie In Our Graves" and Timmy's solo is "Letting Go." I may rip it from the CD so everyone can hear... it definitely sends chills down my spine every time!
-J

Go to Top of Page

Reese
Try A Little Harder

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2001 :  8:21:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Reese an AOL message  Reply with Quote
crazy as ti may seem, that is the exact same way i fell into tim. except i got my hands on a D&T '99 bootleg with two tim solo's. so except for that one difference, erich, your storry is the exact same as mine. what a small world.

later

Go to Top of Page

Erich with an h
Yak Addict

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2001 :  8:49:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Erich with an h's Homepage  Send Erich with an h an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i think its funny too, only cause that was such a breakthrough for tim. That tour and that album saw pretty much a huge boom in tims following... Its sorta sad too, that with tims talent it took him hooking up with someone famous for people to find and take notice, cause otherwise he mightve stayed a local legend in his own right...

Erich w/ an h
Erichwanh@yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2001 :  11:54:33 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think my fondness of Tim grew over the years, starting when I first got the Dave Matthews Band Recently EP, which has two songs on it that are just Dave and Tim. From then on, with Under the Table and Crash, I found myself listening to Tim's parts more than the DMB! Then the DMB live album, 8-15-95 from Red Rocks came out. And once again, i was fancinated by Tim's parts, solos, everything. Especially his solos in Rhyme and Reason and Watchtower on that album! Some time after that, I got my first Tim Reynolds CD, Sanctuary. Sanctuary was my first real exposure to music that wasn't totally acoustic. I'm talking about the first disc of the set here, the industrial sounding tracks like Beneath the Surface, It's Dead, and my favorite Bowl of the Altar. When Before These Crowded Streets came out, I was somewhat obsessed with Tim Reynolds as a guitarist, and he had become my main guitar influence. The solos tim played on BTCS, and the accents and everything he would play just blew me away. I had been playing along to CDs for eyars, before I knew of Tim, and some of the stuff he would do with DMB songs reminded me of things I had done, or things I may do in the same musical situation (as many others have said, I am in NO WAY comparing myself to Tim, not even his pinky fingernail). Around the time that BTCS came out, I think december of that year, 98, I got to see the DMB in concert, with tim. ONce again, tims solos and fills blew me away, and it was my first time seeing him live, so it was very exciting, sicne he had become my guitar idol. Anyway, after hearing BTCS, and seeing the man in action with DMB, and hearing the guitar work tim did on electric, I went out and bought my first electric guitar, an epiphone les paul standard, and a small epiphone amp. Before this I was scrictly an acoustic player, listening to acoustic records, but hearing that it was indeed possible to do both, as tim does, I attempted as such. I got into bands like Metallica, alice in chains, and other harder bands, still staying true to the original acoustic albums that I had been listening to and learning from for years. But in a lot of ways, Tim Reynolds and his music have really helped me to "find" myself musically. I am truly happier playing acoustic and electric, than I would be doing one or the other. As it is now, I am working on two musical projects. I have a solo acoustic gig I do, playing and singing, and playing instrumentals (once again no where near tims perfection) and I am in a heavier band wiht influences such as metallica, disturbed, deftones, etc... But if it were not for Tim, i'd still be sitting here, playing acoustic guitar, never knowing that there is a whoel "electric" world out there to explore on guitar as well.
His work on electric was blowing me away, and when L@LC came out, and I heard him ripping thorugh solos in Tripping Billies and Ants Marching I was even more impressed. Acoustic guitar is not as easy to play very fast as electric is..and electric isn't that easy either :-)
And, like everyone, I was facinated with Stream, and I believe by this time I owned a DD5, because I had heard somewhere, around the time that I got Sanctuary, and heard the two live tracks on it at the ends of both discs, that he used one, and I got one to mess with. But I had never thought of using the 2 second loop the way he was, during a song and soloing over it. I would always pretty much play one thing, let it loop, then play other things over it, never changing the loop, but during stream on L@LC, he changes the loop a few times. Not to mention what he does with the delay, and backwards modes. Put that in combination with a volume and or wah pedal and youve got some cool sounds. Anyway, I've babbled on enoguh.

Later,
Adam

And on the 8th day God created the art of war...and laughing, planned the end.
Go to Top of Page

Dave S
Chatterbox

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2001 :  5:26:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Dave S an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I had always wondered who that amazing guitarist was playing those fills and 2nd guitar parts on my DM albums...hearing Stream on L@LC was almost a spiritual experience for me, it was exactly the kind of music i had been searching for. I downloaded a version of Lie in Our Graves (my favorite DM song) with a timmy solo on it and was blown away..and that was pretty much when i became obsessed with tim, trying to get my hands on anything he had contributed to. going to see him oct 5th in Eugene, and i'm looking forward to it more than i look forward to a dave matthews concert.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2001 :  05:26:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I discovered Tim completely by accident! I am sure you all are real happy to learn this. I got a call from a friend who was tour managing Tim and he asked if I could go on the road with him as the stage manager(grunt) and merch guy. I said who with, and he said Tim Reynolds.(RU all sitting down?) I said "Who is that?" He told me he played for DMB but this would be a little different than that. It was the Puke Matrix tour. I had no idea what to expect, but not being one to turn down a free trip and tour, I said what the hell. Tim picked me up at the train station. I was expecting some hippy dippy jam band kinda guy, not really at all being familiar with DMB's albums or music. Here comes Tim walking at me, long black hair, hemp cowboy hat and a Ramones t-shirt. I was like "Whoa" not at all what I was expecting. I had only signed on for one week as i was not sure I could take the strains of DMBish music for much longer than that and I did not know if I would even get along with these guys. Cut to the next night and our first show. BOOOM!!!! Boy was I blown away. Leather pants, silk gloves, feather boas, and ROCK! I mean hard rock, grab you by the groin and not let go. Tim, Johnny, and Houston rocked my world live for the 1st and happily not the last time. I was blown away. Luckily I got along with everyone and they asked me back and the rest is history. Peace and Keep the Faith Fluffy

ps I sure miss Johnny and Houston, would love to work with them again. Can't wait to see what Mike Sokolowski has in store for us with those 2 on board.

Go to Top of Page

Xar666
Yak Addict

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2001 :  3:17:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is awesome Fluffy. To the me and the other people here what happened to you is equivalent to winning the lottery. I hope to meet you in person on the upcoming tour.

-Xar666

We're going to Vegas to croak a scag baron named Savage Henry. I've known him for years but he ripped us off. And you know what that means...
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2001 :  3:49:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I kinda feel that way too. Definately BLESSED!!!I look forward to meeting you as well. By the way, Hunter S Thompson is an idol of mine as well. Looking forward to meeting you as well.

Peace & Keep the Faith Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2001 :  7:51:45 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Fluffy quote: "I had only signed on for one week as i was not sure I could take the strains of DMBish music for much longer than that"

May I say: LOL!!!

Adam

And on the 8th day God created the art of war...and laughing, planned the end.

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2001 :  8:09:11 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Wow, cool to hear Fluffy's story. Now here is mine:

I too 1st heard Tim on a Dave + Tim show. I got a show from 97 in the mail, just before Luther came out. Just like most people, I was blown away when I heard Stream. but this wasnt what really got me into Tim. DMB's 12-1-98 was what did it. Tim's solo's on the electric were amazing to me, also some of the weird sounds he was getting out of his guitar... I couldnt stop listening. I would drown out everything else and just listen to his parts. About the same time, I started hearing about his Puke Matrix shows... stories about how Tim was this really eccentric crazy dude who was humping his guitar on stage. Sounded cool to me so I ordered the puke matrix tour cd, which I played 3 times in a row when I got it. I've been hooked ever since.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2001 :  01:13:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Back to the top, since this question has come up again.Thought the new people might like to see the answers to some of the more longtime members.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

jen-jen
Is Anybody Here?

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2001 :  1:04:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, I think I must like writing about myself because that is all I seem to do lately!

It seems like I got into Tim the same way as everyone else - from being a huge Dave Matthews fanatic (I even have a DMB tattoo on my lower back!). I too was way stoked to get the Live at Luther CD and being able to hear Dave's songs on merely two acoustics. Again, like everyone else I was blown away by the song Stream by Tim Reynolds. I as constantly asking my friends who play guitar to listen to it with me and explain exactly what was going on. I have always aspired to play the guitar, but this song facinated me. It was funny for me to hear my friends who play guitar say, "Well, actually I'm not quite sure WHAT he's doing there."

So, I pretty much listened to my CD all the time and wished over and over again that I would miraculously see this Tim at a Dave concert. However, no such luck. Then the all mighty Timmy decides that he wants to make a stop in my small town of Eugene, Oregon. I was way stoked!!!

Now, I am an even BIGGER Tim fan and will continue to follow him on his musical journey. I aspire to learn to play the guitar (believe me I am soo only in the start mode of this). And that folks, is all I have to say about that!

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2001 :  06:40:23 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Jen, what is your tattoo? Kyle, our archivist, has the dancin nancies logo thing between his shoulder blades. Love to see some more people contribute to this thread.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy ( <>..<> )
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2001 :  06:47:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
By the way, a few more of these can be found on another thread for those interested, it is:

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=359

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy ( <>..<> )
Go to Top of Page

jen-jen
Is Anybody Here?

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2001 :  2:33:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My tattoo is something I kinda designed myself. I took the DMB "origin" symbol and sort-of swirled it. It startes out orange at the top and fades into a pink/red and then into a purple. It's really nice...the guy did a great job. I've been wanting it for about three years now and finally had the money to get it. It is across the lower part of my back. It hurt like a bitch! I think I have a picture of it...somewhere.....

Go to Top of Page

jen-jen
Is Anybody Here?

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2001 :  2:35:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I met this girl from the east coast who actually has Dave Matthews face tattooed on her sholder blade! No joke...I saw a picture of it. The face isn't outlined, but it has the eyes, nose, lips and his signarature underneath! In my own opinion that might be taking the obsession too far! (And I thought I was a huge fan)

Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2001 :  3:25:26 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Jen, It's interesting that you mention a chick with a Dave tattoo. I met a guy that claimed to be Dave's cousin. He was talking about this girl on the east coast with the a similar tattoo description. His name is Todd and he really went off on how sick he thought that was! I don't know if he was really Dave's cousin, but he sure did look like him! Anyway, I think it's a bit obsessive too. Sounds like your tattoo is pretty kewl. I've been thinking about getting one, but it's a tough decision on the artwork. I did get my belly pierced last april. It really didn't hurt, it just took a long time to heal. Glad to see another female posting on the board! Take care....Liz
Oh by the way, I got into TR from seeing him play at DMB shows!!!
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2001 :  06:13:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Jen, I agree that sounds a little fanatically, but to each his or her own. Who am I to judge. I would love to see your tatt if you have a pic. I have a full back piece and 2 on my chest and one calf covered. I still want to get a few more but my tatt artist lives in LA now and getting to find a time when she and I can get together is really hard. I promised myself along time ago I was not gonna have anyone but her tattoo me. She does amazing work.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy ( <>..<> )
Go to Top of Page

Erich with an h
Yak Addict

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2001 :  12:19:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Erich with an h's Homepage  Send Erich with an h an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Now, I am an even BIGGER Tim fan and will continue to follow him on his musical journey.

Its funny you say that, cause Tims next album is a cd of Journey covers.

Erich w/ an h
Erichwanh@yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2001 :  9:29:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I got into Tim because of Fluffy. When the Puke Matrix tour came through California in late 1999, I drove down to meet Fluffy and the guys at Winston's in San Diego. I volunteered to be the merch girl at that show and the Galaxy Theater show, so I got to hear TR3 multiple times. I also managed to get "paid" with a couple of CDs. I have to admit, I wasn't all that keen on TR3, but I liked watching Tim play anyway. I also loved the acoustic stuff on the CDs Fluffy gave me. The next time they came through LA, it was on an acoustic tour. Once I saw Tim's live acoustic show I was hooked.

Note: The most amazing show that weekend was at McCabe's Guitar Shop. The whole audience was in awe; the room was totally quiet except for the music.

teri

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2001 :  1:56:26 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
if only all crowds could be that way....

Adam

There's a lot more to music than notes on a page.

I am Ion, the priest of the inner sanctuary. I submit myself to an unendurable torment. I dismembered myself, and I have become spirit.

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2002 :  01:15:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I agree we need to bring this one back around and hear from some of the new folks on the board. Afterall, He is why we are here! To the top!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2002 :  2:02:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The reason that I haven't answered it is because I got into Tim the "normal" way. Live at Luther College got me started. Then I went to HOB.com to see if they had any DMB concerts on the website and I saw that TR had one. It was the Club Vynl (sp?) in L.A. The first song he played was As Far As We Can See and I fell in love with it. I wanted to learn how to play it, so I went around music stores looking for a TR album with my favorite song on it. Instead I found Stream and bought that since I liked that song too. Then I found Nomadic Wavelenght. All of this happened in late August of last year right before I went to college and right before he played in L.A. I wasn't as quite of a fan as I am now, so I missed the show and I've been pissed ever since. But I guess it's for the better because now I'll be able to actually talk to people when I go to one because I'll be known.

"You tried your best and you failed miserably...the lesson is: Never Try."
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2002 :  5:19:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
And I promise not to ignore you, unless you acta foo!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2002 :  09:31:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
my friend had an early copy of live at luther college, now I not a big DMB fan, since like everyone likes them its hard to listen to something you hear a million times(plus im not to keen on Daves voice), I was like a long time ago when their first album went popular, or when their first popular album went popular, whatever...

anyway...

I heard "Stream" for the first time, I sat in aw and listened to it and I made it a mission to find out everything I could about Tim Reynolds.

and so I did, mostly from this website. I bought Nomadic Wavelength, Stream, See Into Your Soul, and Atral Projection...
all GREAT cds, I seriously consider Tim Reynolds to be the greatest guitar player alive right now, I don't think anyone here would argue that, but it is kind of sad to see how many people that do not know about Tim Reynolds, especially young guitar players that need some new inspiration. Maybe it is a good thing that Tim isnt as big as Brittany SPears(or her chest) so that his trul;y dedicated fans can have a more personal relationship with his music, and not here it "a million times"

also I think most people are too stupid to understand Tims music...

He is a genius...

-Dave
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2002 :  6:45:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
He might not have a chest like Britany Spears, but he ure has an ass like her's!
check it out

"I do what I can with what I've got."
Go to Top of Page

JettaRacer
Is Anybody Here?

6 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2002 :  11:13:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got into Tim after L@LC, just like alot of people. I was amazed by all the sounds he could produce. I got a couple of early D&T shows via B&P and enjoyed them alot. I started to check out his previous website and saw they were coming to Atlanta. My brother & I went and saw him and were truly amazed. We got his autograph & looked forward to the next show. Jump forward to Seattle this past year & I took my brother-in-law to see him at the Crocodile Cafe. Nate, as I was again, just in awe of Tim & his playing. After the show we hung out in hopes to meet Tim & Fluffly, You're the Man Fluffy, introduced us to Tim & we gt his autograph and a couple of photos. Now I got my bro-in-law hooked on Tim. Another life changed.

Go to Top of Page

FeelingDoors
Is Anybody Here?

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2002 :  2:52:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My dad took me too a dave and tim show in San Fran when i was 12 or 13 and from that day on i couldn't get enough of tim it pblew my mind that someone could move their hands that fast. being that I had been playing guitar since I was six, I had a new found role model. Irt was just plain awesome

Still Strumming,
Will
Go to Top of Page

drummerboy82
Chatterbox

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2002 :  02:12:43 AM  Show Profile  Send drummerboy82 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i credit all my Tim knowledge to Saint Jude. He's the one that introduced his solo stuff, away from Dave, to me.

"Seems like people are the viruses
And earth is simply tired of us"-311-.
Go to Top of Page

therippa
Fluffy-Esque

Kazakhstan
1099 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2002 :  11:58:38 AM  Show Profile  Send therippa an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm remember this exactly...

I had just moved out to California for my new job (spring 2000). Before leaving town I slowly grew to like Dave Matthews. My favorite song was #41. I've always been big into mp3's for a long TIMe (I still have mp2's and a copy of Frauhnhoefer Mplayer!) so I decided to download some more versions of #41. The best one I found was the version from L@LC. I enjoyed that song so much that later on that day I went out and bought the L@LC set (screw you RIAA - I listen to mp3's THEN buy the music if it's worth the $15). I put disc one into my car and took a long country drive. After that was done I put in disc 2 and noticed that I had never heard of this "Stream" song before. I looked at the liner notes and saw that Dave had nothing to do with it, just Tim's name was next to it. The next day I took the same drive but put Stream on REPEAT for the entire 2 hour drive. One piece of music had never moved me so much. I couldn't understand how someone could write/play something so intricate on the guitar. It became a goal of mine to learn that song.

As soon as I got back into town I drove over to a music store and bought my first guitar.

---------------
Aspiring to Be Fluffy-Esque

"I heard Tim stopped playing with Dave when he got pregnant"
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2002 :  6:00:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Wow, Rippa thats pretty kewl that "Stream" impacted you so strongly. Have you learned to play it yet?

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2002 :  6:13:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
speaking of stream, i've got my own goal with that tune now. i'm trying to figure out a slightly different way to play the great TR song. i, just starting today, have decided to work hardcore practicing to do it on my bass. so far i have the opening of it doing some open hammer plucks, and then tapping the chord used up an octave. i have the very barebone basics of the song, but i really need to work on the fast runs, especially cause i'm doin' it fingerstyle. ah well, i'll keep you on the update on my progress on the song.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

therippa
Fluffy-Esque

Kazakhstan
1099 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2002 :  6:17:48 PM  Show Profile  Send therippa an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wow, Rippa thats pretty kewl that "Stream" impacted you so strongly. Have you learned to play it yet?

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy

Just about ... still working on my improv skills for it though - I don't want to play it note for note!

I spent a good year learning what I know now...I figured it I picked that as my first song to learn I'd learn pretty quickly (and I did!)

P.S.: Fluffy - hope to see you again next year at the Sweetwater and Boom-Boom Room - Mike and I can't wait!

---------------

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2002 :  6:23:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sounds GREAT!!! MeeToo!!! I especially liked the part where you said you DIDN'T want to play it note for note. Make it your own, that is what TR would tell you to do. Congrats and can't wait to see you next TIMe we are thru the area.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

powdrdogdmb
Chatterbox

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2002 :  6:41:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit powdrdogdmb's Homepage  Send powdrdogdmb an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Red Rocks did it for me, that trippy opening on Seek Up and the solo on Two Step takes me there for sure. I then heard TR play his solo's at the Albuquerque Kiva on 99 tour and that was it for me, I left that show on cloud nine, and his music definately makes me appreciate music in general more as I think he is one of the standards in guitar today.
Peace Be With
-WBB
Go to Top of Page

TalkingNeurons
Yak Addict

523 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2002 :  12:39:09 AM  Show Profile  Send TalkingNeurons an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ah, Red Rocks. It's easily the best DMB cd out there.

---------------
"Little or no expectations leave more room for experiences."
-Victor L. Wooten

Go to Top of Page

genome
Fluffy-Esque

1098 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2002 :  01:07:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Holy crap, I'd have to disagree with you thoroughly on this one. But that's good. I mean, if we all liked the same thing, how boring would that be. But I'd put Red Rocks toward the bottom of my DMB pile. I can't even think of what'd be the best one...Under The Table And Dreaming. That's the one. Then....well, Luther College wouldn't count, obviously, but it would be #1, then UTTAD...and then...well, I don't know.

But I'm glad you like RR. It's down there with Listener Supported to me. LIC is way better to me...

That's all.

?uoyt' ner a, mehtf oenoer 'uoY
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2002 :  11:28:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool story Rippa!!! What kind of guitar did you buy?

Go to Top of Page

therippa
Fluffy-Esque

Kazakhstan
1099 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2002 :  12:20:43 PM  Show Profile  Send therippa an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cool story Rippa!!! What kind of guitar did you buy?

I bought a Art & Lutherie for about $150 and switched it to be a lefty. A few months after that I bought a lefty Seagul S6. Now I'm rockin' a lefty Martin D-28.

---------------

Go to Top of Page

revrendmaynard14
Chatterbox

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2002 :  1:04:08 PM  Show Profile  Send revrendmaynard14 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The cool thing about L@LC is no one around here had it or ever even heard of it, and my brother bought it and made all his friends listen to it and now all of them have it....isnt that spiffy!?!

*~Kaleigh~*
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2002 :  4:50:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's great, now if we can get all those people to buy Nomadic Wavelength and expose them to TR's other sides that would be awesome. Thanx for spreading the word.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2002 :  12:20:19 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Will do Mr. Fluffy. I spread the word of TIM whenever I get the chance.

-what-
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2002 :  04:12:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
As we all should, isn't that what the TR Task Force was founded for?

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  8:41:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It was founded????.....I just thought it came into existence.....you know.....like God.....and Twinkies.....

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  11:25:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think like all great secret societies, it was indeed founded.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  11:33:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Like the Stonecutters?.....and the No Homers?

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  11:45:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Exactly like them, and don't forget the Masons, the Illuminti, New World Order, Skull & Bones Society, Bilderberg Group, Cult of the Serpent, The Cathars, The Knights of Templar, Hell Fire Club, KKK, Knights of Columbus, Rosicrucians, Eastern Star, Shriners, and of course Elks.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  11:47:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Don't forget the Black Panthers!.....and the Communist Party...and PETA...hehe

Go to Top of Page

My_Bad_Side
Alien Abductee

2000 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2002 :  01:59:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And the ACLU?

No one understands me.
Go to Top of Page

therippa
Fluffy-Esque

Kazakhstan
1099 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2002 :  02:04:14 AM  Show Profile  Send therippa an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Will do Mr. Fluffy. I spread the word of TIM whenever I get the chance.

-what-

The first rule of the TR Task Force is don't talk about the TR Task Force...or is it DO talk

---------------

Go to Top of Page

My_Bad_Side
Alien Abductee

2000 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2002 :  02:13:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The key to it is to never mention the TR Task Force, and then never make a reference to anything except TIM in casual conversation. That should do the trick.

No one understands me.
Go to Top of Page

NeverKillADream
Yak Addict

USA
652 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2002 :  3:27:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit NeverKillADream's Homepage  Send NeverKillADream an AOL message  Reply with Quote
How i got into TIM.......
long long ago in a galaxy far far away, i was and still am a all acoustic guitarist, with 90% of my music being solo insrumental.
never heard of TIM. THen, my friend started harrasing me, theres this guy he plays stuff like you play, but better and crazier, i was all about, No way not intereseted, well he harrassed me nonstop, listen to this guy listen to this guy, finally i said fine, he played Stream For me, that was that. nothings been the same since.

Using the Force Daily
NeverKillADream@aol.com
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2002 :  12:55:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Erich....THANKS so much for pulling this one back up! As a new comer to the boards I found it very interesting. Perfect night to read it too as everyone must be away or busy...slow night on the boards.

I got into TIM via Common Margins and Offering. First time I heard Offering I wasn't sure what to make of it, but then it grew on me and now I love listening to it when I want to really clear my head!

I have Live at Luther College, but don't listen to it much. I will say that last summer I went to "the Barn" with the group of at-risk high school kids I was working with and I was real nervous because I would be rock climbing and I am afraid of heights. The barn is a local place that has walls to practice rock climbing and different levels of difficulty. Anyway, when I went in, Live at Luther College was playing softly in the background and I immediately felt at ease and ended up having one of the most powerful experiences of my life!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2002 :  02:48:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Music can do that to ya!!! Glad TR had a hand in it as well. HEHE

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2006 :  4:31:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Some more I found posted in a different thread:

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1807

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

page0178
Is Anybody Here?

27 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2006 :  12:45:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually Erich, my story is exactly like yours. Dave and Tim at Luthor is where I first heard of Tim Reynolds. Being a guitar "guru" I had to find out who this Tim Reynolds dude was. After hearing some of his solo stuff, I was hooked! I guess Dave can be thanked for bringing a lot of folks to Tim!

Go to Top of Page

Biff the Pig
Chatterbox

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2006 :  1:26:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Biff the Pig's Homepage  Reply with Quote
that is very very crazy, cause pretty much the EXACT story Erich said 5 years ago is my story too. Because, i heard a lot of "Tim Unknown Solos" before i realized that they werent just improvisations. and unfortunatley my first taste of TR was from L@LC, the only reason i say "unfortunatley" is b/c at this point i am SO sick of dave stuff, and hearing people yell out dave songs at Tim concerts makes it worse...but yeah, it was good to me for a Time, but ive moved on. k thanks bi!

www.myspace.com/travismoore3
Go to Top of Page

page0178
Is Anybody Here?

27 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2006 :  5:07:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Biff, I know what you mean. It was pretty sad on Saturday night in Lubbock to hear people yell out Dave stuff. While I love Dave and all, Tim is own person and such a GREAT guitarist...why wouldn't you want to hear HIS stuff, NOT Dave's. They are two different beings and folks need to treat them that way.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000