Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 The Variety Playhouse...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2002 :  2:49:16 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Or should I say "TIM's Variety Playhouse," because that's what it was last night. I arrived in Atlanta at about 3 in the afternoon, after having left my house at abotu 7:45. It was an uneventful trip, albeit one where I couldn't find a Starbucks for my sister... We looked around in Little Five Points for a couple of hours and ate, so at about 5:15 I was ready to start waiting. Doors were to open at 7, show at 8... I had parked my truck directly in front of the Playhouse, and so we were actually able to wait in my truck while still watching the line, which was great. Silky arrived and we chatted it up and then he and his friend went to get coffee to stay warm. While they were gone, Fluffy came around front and talked a little...said if the four of us were all here he'd take us around back and let us in. About that time Silky and David got back, and so we all went around to the back and secured our front row seats. TIM was soundchecking and we got to hear that! My first soundcheck, and Kevin and Liz would be so jealous: Backdoor! And My Shadow on acousitc with beats. It was awesome. We just waited there on the front row and people started coming in ... Peter Prince finally arrived a few minutes before he was to go on, soundchecked for about 2 minutes, then went on at about 8:03. He was good, but I'd have liked more guitar and less talk...just personal preference.

TIM came on and it was great. Crowd was absolutely great. There were about 15 people standing leaning on the stage, and so we all had a great view. Some people around me and Jeff mentioned they were hoping for a mostly acoustic set. I pointed out to them that 3/4 guitars were electric, so the best they should even possibly hope for is 1/4 acoustic. I told one person maybe one acoustic during the set and one in the encore. When TIM DID pick up the acoustic, people went ballistic, but no one tried to tell him what to play. I do not remember one single song request during the show. He did My Shadow and some others, Kundalini Bonfire for one, and then I think You Are My Sanity in the Encore. To be honest I can't even remember at this point, damnit. Anyway, the electric set compeltely rocked, and Backdoor was one of the highlights. Faceoff, Erich will be happy to know...

We hung out after the show and all met TIM and it was great. He was nice as usual, and about at talkative as usual after a show. He signed my shirt, of which I hope to have a picture here soon. Something of which I'm really proud.

Then my sister and I left Atlanta abotu 12 and drove for over 6 hours. It was completely awful, as I was dog tired and couldn't keep my eyes open. But we made it, thankfully. And as bad as it was, traffic was light (of course) and I kept the speedo on or near the limit, so I didn't have to even worry about tickets or that crap. The trip back wasn't even close to enough to diminish the shows greatness.

Oh, and I told TIM that it would be great for him to come to me sometime instead of making me always come to him... Not that he makes those decisions...but hey, there were at least 4 fans from MS there (two had even drive farther than me).

I'll now direct my tired ramblings to more potent things, as I am at work, and have been since 9:30.

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2002 :  4:10:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by enthuTIMsiast

He was good, but I'd have liked more guitar and less talk...just personal preference.

I think TIM has spoiled you. He's ALL guitar and virtually NO talk.

The only concert I've ever been to with less talk was a Dead Can't Dance show in DC many years ago. With all those people on stage it was amazing to me that only about four sentences were uttered all night. It was a noticeable silence: at one point, somebody even yelled "Say something!" to the band.

teri
Twittering about the DC adventure since Dec '09...
(Micro)Blog * Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2002 :  4:18:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my god...Jason you are the greatest.....wonderful review!!!!! So happy for you, can't believe you are still awake!!!! I didn't go to Tim's show in Annapolis only 2 1/2 hrs away because I was afraid I would fall asleep at the wheel. I can't imagine doing 6 hours after a show!!!!Up for over 24 hrs!!!Wow you are amazing!

Thanks again for a great review! Sounds like it was an amazing show!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2002 :  5:27:11 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
A few additions since I'm still at work and I've deemed the rest of my day a "do nothing" day.

I want to THANK FLUFFY for getting me my sis, Jeff and David on the list AND getting us in for the soundcheck. That was my first soundcheck, and it was awesome.

THANK YOU FLUFFY!

Secondly, I forgot to say that Peter Prince played Oops I Did It Again for his Encore. It is funny. I have no idea why I always capitalize the E in Encore.

Thanks go to Fluffy and Jeff for acting like they really did hope that we would have a safe trip. Makes me realize even more how "real" internet friends can be. Not that I should have doubted, what with Teri letting me stay in her house in CA, even while she was at work, Kevin giving me and Liz a ride to the show and Liz just being all around cool...Oh, and Patrick was in CA too...ha... Thanks, in any event, I'm glad I had a safe trip, and I'm glad you cared.

Very fun very fun concert. Next one (hopefully a show on the Spring tour for me), we'll all have to get together and have a huge party. Sound good?

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2002 :  5:29:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Not too much to add to that... great company... seeing the soundcheck was awesome... the show was amazing... the crowd was silent... Tim isn't human... and Fluffy is about the nicest, most hospitible person ever. That was a great evening.

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2002 :  8:42:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by enthuTIMsiast

I kept the speedo on

Hehehe......

Glad you had fun Jason. How did it compare to the L.A. one (besides the length)?

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2002 :  8:43:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You must have had the heat on way high then...

teri
Twittering about the DC adventure since Dec '09...
(Micro)Blog * Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2002 :  9:33:01 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
and Kevin and Liz would be so jealous

You got that right! I'm jealous of everyone who has gotten to see a show with the addition of the video screen and the new songs programmed. Sounds like you had an awesome time. Thanks for the review. As it stands now, I think I might plan a trip out to CO in march or something for the next tour, since that mini tour looks like it be my last chance to catch the current tour, with the visuals. Who knows though, just something I'm keeping in the back of my mind.

quote:
we'll all have to get together and have a huge party. Sound good?

fuckin A!

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2002 :  12:55:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Thanks go to Fluffy and Jeff for acting like they really did hope that we would have a safe trip. Makes me realize even more how "real" internet friends can be. Not that I should have doubted, what with Teri letting me stay in her house in CA, even while she was at work, Kevin giving me and Liz a ride to the show and Liz just being all around cool...Oh, and Patrick was in CA too...ha... Thanks, in any event, I'm glad I had a safe trip, and I'm glad you cared.

Acting? Haha damn man... you were about to drive until 6 a.m... no acting about that. I am with you though... I didn't realize that friends that you make on the internet really are "real" friends until Fluffy gave both of us a big hug as we were all parting ways at the end of the evening. That really made me realize how genuine he really is when he says that he considers everyone here to be friends. I also thought it was kinda wierd, in a way, that it didn't seem awkward at all when we met you (again)... hanging out with you didn't seem any different than when I see any other friends... it just seemed totally normal... which was wierd, if that makes any sense. Anyway, glad you made it to the show because it really was a good time to have you hang out... and glad you made it back safely.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2002 :  08:41:29 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Patrick: Glad you had fun Jason. How did it compare to the L.A. one (besides the length)?
I don't know, to be honest. I can say that I knew what to expect, and was able to prepare myself more thoroughly, so in that respect, it was better. Things related to me that are unrelated to the show were much better: ie I didn't have to worry about how to get there, and so my anxiety levels weren't already up, I knew Fluffy was expecting me, etc.

But overall, I might be tempted to say this one was better. It didn't feel rushed and TIM just seemed more relaxed. The audience was amazing (at least from 0.01 feet from the stage); I never heard them say a word. Didn't get to go backstage, but that's ok. We did get to see TIM after the show, so that's good. Not like HOB, tho, when we did hang out... But that might be better since it was kinda awkward hanging out with one of your guitar idols... After the show is personal enough to talk, but impersonal enough to not be too awkward. Both blessings.

I loved the setlist, and recognized way more of the songs. I think he played more acoustic here than HOB, but just maybe one song or so. Good songs, of course. The added video was cool, but I'd rather just watch TIM. My angle was such that I had to make a choice of what to watch, and I chose TIM. My sister didn't have that luxury, and she thought that the video was disturbing.

quote:
Kevin: As it stands now, I think I might plan a trip out to CO in march or something for the next tour, since that mini tour looks like it be my last chance to catch the current tour, with the visuals. Who knows though, just something I'm keeping in the back of my mind.
I thought I was off for spring break and was therefore hoping that'd hit when TIM had some shows. Now I know that I don't, so it doesn't matter. I'll just have to take off work, which I probably will do. So Kevin, once we can, let's figure out and we can meet up at some shows.

quote:
Silky: I didn't realize that friends that you make on the internet really are "real" friends until Fluffy gave both of us a big hug as we were all parting ways at the end of the evening. That really made me realize how genuine he really is when he says that he considers everyone here to be friends. I also thought it was kinda wierd, in a way, that it didn't seem awkward at all when we met you (again)... hanging out with you didn't seem any different than when I see any other friends... it just seemed totally normal... which was wierd, if that makes any sense. Anyway, glad you made it to the show because it really was a good time to have you hang out... and glad you made it back safely.
That's what I thought about Fluffy giving us a hug. It was very nice of him and you to be concerned with our safety. Again, I appreciate it. It was odd too, that it wasn't awkward. Last year it was like "So you're Silky the Pimp, huh? Cool." And then ok bye. This year it was like old friends getting back together. Wait. This year it was old friends getting back together... It was fun, and you should definately make the Board show next time (whenever and whichever show that might be and whoever is involved).

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2002 :  2:41:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So glad to hear that everyone had such a great TIMe at the show! I think it would be really great to have everyone from the boards go to a show, I know I would go. You guys pick the show next spring and I would definitely try to get there.

I know what you mean about board members because I only met Liz at Trenton and felt like I knew her for years.....and that was back when I was a "lurker!"hehehe Although I had e-mailed her and spoke to her on the phone that day. I do think the people on these boards are awesome! That's because of who TIM is and who he attracts. Even the people he has working for him....couldn't find a nicer group of people like Fluffy, Rew and Mason!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Xar666
Yak Addict

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2002 :  5:03:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice review. Damn, it has been a year since I have been to a show. And I have yet to go to one where anyone from the boards was there (except Fluffy of course). I must make plans to attend one as close as possible to me (and hope some of you are there).
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2002 :  08:26:14 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Just thought of another song that TIM definately played. Indoctrinate. As I think of others I'll just post them to this message right here.

Xar, seriously, when TIM's touring next spring, we should all get together and go to a couple of them. If the dates are even remotely conducive to me taking off work and going, then I'm going to. And if I do, then I'll probably take in a few shows, if at all possible. So yeah, let's all plan on that.

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2002 :  12:58:28 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
To the top for Fluffy. Thanks again Fluffy!

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2002 :  3:34:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Maybe this will help Jason:

Snake
Radar
Glimpses
My Shadow

FaceOff
They're Coming
Gas Mask
Uncover
Fat Bottom

Kundalini Bonfire
Stranger in a Strained Land

Backdoor
Souls
Skeleton Walls
Indoctrinate
Pathetic

YAMS
Jam #3

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2002 :  3:57:42 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes, that does help Jason.

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2002 :  4:01:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It does my heart good to know I could help. Glad you and your sis made it home safe and sound. Thanx for making the long, arduous trip. You are a fine example of what makes TR fans so special. We really appreciate the support and friendship.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2002 :  08:44:57 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Fluffy, just two quick questions that I have to ask:

1. What did you and TIM think about my shirt?

2. What did TIM think about my job?

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2002 :  12:24:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We loved the shirt!!(by the way, I WANT ONE DAMMIT!!)

and TR thought the job was way kewl!! Even kewler that his music was blaring in such an establishment. HEHE

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  07:47:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jason....Hint Hint Hint.....You never answered Fluffy!!!!

You could sell those shirts to a lot of us! They are so kewl! Why is it so many musicians are also drawl???? Must be they have soooo much artistic talent.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2002 :  5:37:33 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...well, if I made more shirts, they wouldn't be washable, cause that's just permanent marker on mine... Permanent, sure, but it'd fade and all that... Plus I'd have to forge TIM's signature, and that'd be odd... Plus, the picture's not even mine and I can't rip them off too... So maybe I could just do them as gifts and not sell them...

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000