New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2003 :  9:56:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://nancies.org/boards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99345&perpage=15&pagenumber=5

the topic "Just how good is Tim Reynolds." lots of positive comments, but then again there are the assholes that always say he's just a "technical" musician, and is a "lead player" and not a talented songwriter, etc.. jump on it guys!

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2003 :  10:01:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I cant get invovled. The threads too big, my opinion is going to get lost in "yes he is" vs. "no he isnt" comments, and overall i just dont want to argue this with people who dont feel the same way i do. Its like trying to argue with someone why vanilla is better than chocolate. You ever try to argue that with someone?

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2003 :  03:31:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, surprise surprise, I felt a sick, perverted compulsion to read the whole 5 pages, as I think it is good to see what the worlds(or at least DMB fans)perception of TR is. As I do not feel comfortable posting to that topic, for the obvious reasons like, "You're TR's tour manager, what else would you say?" I must admit there is alot of love for TR over there and also alot of misunderstanding of TR and his music. As for all the comments of him playing stuff to "impress" the audience could not be further from the truth. Some folks answered it as it should be, but I just feel alot of folks don't get where TR is coming from. No surprise. It was not surprising to see that alot of the negative comments centered around his work with DMB and very few seemed to reference any of his quite eclectic solo work. I had to laugh to myself as they called him "not to multi-dimensional". I could give you 4 TR CD's of my choosing and I bet you would be hard-pressed to believe it is the same musician. I can't really think of a more multi-dimensional artist. Listen to Sticks and Stones, Nomadic Wavelength, ChaosView and Astral Projection. How more multi-dimensional do they want. Well, it is quite refreshing to know that TR does not play for them, he plays for himself, and if noone gets it, all the better for us, because we will always be able to see TR in inTIMate venues. There was also alot of talk about TR not being respected in the guitar community. Well I have addressed this many TIMes on our board. TR to the guitar community is "that guy who plays with Dave" and unfortunately to real guitar players that really isn't a rousing incentive to check him out. So I think guitar players unfamiliarity with TR can be traced back to an affiliation with Dave and DMB which has hindered his progress in the guitar community. My god, look at Jimmy Page, very few doubt his ability, but if JP had just been that guy on the Hermans Hermits records, who would have looked twice. TR's TIMe will come, and eventually thru the diligent work of TR, the TRTF and myself and the amazing group of fans of his talent, ability and multi-dimensionalness(is that even a word HEHE)the world will eventually know what we already know. Rome wasn't built in a day. Music is subjective, whether you like something or not, is an opinion and just because everyones opinion about TR isn't what ours is, doesn't mean TR is any less amazing than we know he is. The only thing I took real offense to is that someone actually said tht TR doesn't play with feeling. How ludicris is that? I have seen my fair share of TR shows and I have never seen anyone play with more feeling than him. He truly FEELS the music. I think you have to see one of his solo shows to really get this. I have never seen him with Dave, but it wouldn't surprise me to find that people who say TR lacks feeling have only seen him perform someone elses music, not his own. I have seen somewhere in the neighborhood of 6000 shows by many different artists, in many different styles of music. Don't get me wrong, there are lots of artists out there who play with emotion and feeling and TR is DEFINITELY one of those. But, like has been mentioned many TIMes in the 5 pages I read, TO EACH HIS OWN. If they don't get it they don't get it. My guess is they have not experienced enuf TR to have an acurate portrait of the artist. It would be like looking at a painting with a vast color spectrum, but only seeing the reds or greens. You just don't get the WHOLE picture. Whatever, everyone has their own opinions about it and I respect that. No artist will be loved by everyone. That's just common sense. Because someone else doesn't think highly of TR doesn't make him any less amazing to those of us who do. It really is just a matter of taste, and TR appeals to my personal taste and TR has and displays taste in his all playing, in spades.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2003 :  09:14:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yea you really just have to sit back and pity the fools. There is no real musician anywhere that thinks anything negative of TR. They wouldn't know what they were talking about, and they wouldn't be considered a musician. Music is completely opinionated so some people dig it, some don't. But to bash the man that has influenced me and hundreds of others to believing that there is another force surrounding music, another realm, and to make me relize that there is nothing more important in life then creation. His songs blow my mind from what I know about song writing. Most fans of music are exactly that, fans, they will either like it or not, but they cannot give any substantial thought that TR sucks, lol, its out loud laughable. Thats what makes them fans, or non-fans. As long as you know in you heart that TR has changed your life, nothing else matters, just feel bad for the fans and musicians out there that will never know TR. I hope to god one day TR can do anything he wants and becomes hugley successful(if thats what he wants) but right now being that his popularity isnt worldwide, it makes it more special to us, his fans, because we know something not many in this world do. I feel lucky to have listened to TR everyday for the past couple years. And it shows in my guitar playign and writing, I can't thank him enough for that, and he doesn't even know who I am but he has changed my life forever.
Go to Top of Page

Baboonboy
Chatterbox

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2003 :  1:18:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Baboonboy's Homepage  Send Baboonboy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Not to mention.... Nancies.org has the dmb communities' largest collection of morons.

ICQ - 578587
AIM - bluwaterbaboon
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2003 :  4:08:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoa Fluffy...I give you a lot of credit. First for going over to nancies and reading all five pages...I think I would have gotten sick before I got through page 2....but also for your response.

My thoughts exactly....couldn't have said it better! I for one think your response was from "Fluffy the lover of music", not "Fluffy, TIMs tour manager."

(but could you break up your long paragraphs pleaseeeee, hehe..these old eyes went crosseyed reading that on the screen)

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2003 :  6:28:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PJK

(but could you break up your long paragraphs pleaseeeee, hehe..these old eyes went crosseyed reading that on the screen)

GO PAM!!! I have been bugging him about that for a while now. I'm so glad to have an ally.

teri
Twittering about the DC adventure since Dec '09...
(Micro)Blog * Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2003 :  11:12:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
well you gotta give the man credit, at least its not canary yellow font

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2003 :  11:17:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HAHAHA yeah Erich, you got that right!

Rubylith, that's a bit hard on the eyes too, but ok for a short post. I am glad you posted regardless of the color though.

Hey Erich! Where is the James Brown review, eh??????

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2003 :  2:41:41 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erich

overall i just dont want to argue this with people who dont feel the same way i do.

I'd be hard pressed to argue with someone that feels the same way

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Go to Top of Page

j. tayloe emery
Is Anybody Here?

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2003 :  3:54:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit j. tayloe emery's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i too have seen thousands of artists perform during my decade long tenure with rolling stone and mtv--and no one comes even close to doing what tim reynolds does with a guitar.

i used to sit at millers on monday nights and listen to him play his acoustic for 2 or 3 hours straight, bent intently over his axe and carrying on three different musical conversations at the same time. those were some of the best musical moments of my life. the sounds that emanate from those little fingers are one of a kind. they mock what they do not understand.

not multi-dimensional? my ass.

jte
Go to Top of Page

SpaceMonkey
Chatterbox

315 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2003 :  4:25:13 PM  Show Profile  Send SpaceMonkey an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You can lead a man (cow, etc.) to water, but you cannot make them drink...that's basically what it boils down to...I just don't see the point in fueling debates like this one, especially when it's so common to see them pop every few months or so...everybody on board here is too level-headed to waste their energy on this stuff...if somebody can't hear the music for what it is, well, whatever.
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2003 :  5:06:23 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think the argument can be made that Tim is one of, if not the best guitarist ever. You have to respect guys like vai and satriani too. I've seen vai do some stuff that blows my mind.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2003 :  7:50:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
There are lots of great guitar players out there, alot of the them COMPLETELY unknown, but TR definitely ranks up there with the other FAMOUS guitar players I saw mentioned in the 5 pages I read. As I said before, to each his own. Thanx for your commment PJK(woops)

(new paragraph)Thanx for your comment PJK. That was exactly what I was trying to convey. I wasn't trying to speak as TR's tour manager, but if I posted that over there, I was afraid that would be the first criticism lodged against me and my thoughts on the matter. "You're just saying that because blah blah blah!" I am sure in their eyes I am biased because of my affiliation, when in actuality my affiliation came first and my bias came later after seeing him perform nite after nite. That was definitely coming from the heart of a music lover and not TR's tour manager, even though they are one in the same. HEHE

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2003 :  8:16:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Fluffy, this was much easier on the eyes, hehehe.

JTE- Thanks for your comments, nice to hear from one who should know!

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2003 :  8:52:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Tericee will also be happy, unfortunately, I don't think I can keep up with the new paragraph thing HEHE

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2003 :  11:44:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://nancies.org/boards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107784&perpage=15&pagenumber=5

here's another one if anyone is interested.
"tim is touring for the money"

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2003 :  3:36:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
As much as I didn't want to, I definitely had to post to that one. HEHE Thanx for the heads up.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2003 :  5:02:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I went over and had a look,

Actually I was impressed, Fluffy, but how is it that you can make paragraphs over there, hummmmm? hehe j/k Hey I prefer paragraphs, but Fluffy without paragraphs is better than no Fluffy at all!

Seriously I hope they get it over there. I know Waldo is a great person, so with his help too it will be all set....nah who am I Kidding? That topic will go on as long as there is a TIM and Dave!

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2003 :  11:54:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i just figure i post pretty regularly over there too,
and sometimes the Tim topics are soo bad i just have to
link them over here. i feel i don't know as much to help
completely constructive, but i know fluffy and erich, etc..
can be! flamin' moe's are coming up, who wants one?

Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2003 :  12:23:17 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Flaming moe anyone? =) (My first in what will hopefully be a long line of them)

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2003 :  9:04:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hope it went down smooth!

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2003 :  10:33:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've given up on being an internet member of the TRTF. Too much mudslinging and misguided hatred. However, I try to open people's eyes (or ears) to TR whenever I get on the topic of music in the real world. When you talk to someone face-to-face, there's less "I'm right and you're wrong" attitude.

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2003 :  10:45:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I know what you mean. I go to other message boards occasionally, but not those connected with TIM like DMB sites. I only went to nancies because I wanted to see Fluffy's post.

I really don't have an interest to go into any of those otherwise.

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2003 :  11:52:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the reason i'm still at nancies is there actually are a few people worth talking about music, especially in the NDMB area of nancies. and since i'm over there already i usually post the link for some of the controlversial TR topics over here, in case anyone wants to help out, or give it a read.

Go to Top of Page

sinko25
Is Anybody Here?

8 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2003 :  1:48:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit sinko25's Homepage  Send sinko25 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
While I'm definatly in the camp that thinks TR is amazing, you can't really knock someone on their personal opinion of a musician. It's all subjective. We think TR is incredible, they don't. However, there is no one idea that is right.

By the wayk, for the person who said Nancies.org has the largest collection of morons...ever been to anyoneseenthebridge? :)

"Damn, and I say damn because fuck isn't nice." -Dave Matthews
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2003 :  6:49:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey sinko25, where did you come from? Glad you are here, welcome! Just realized the post was from someone new.

Yeah, I agree, music is subjective. I don't know about the people at nancies because I don't go over there. The only time I did was when DMB was touring and I wanted to read reviews of a show and when someone here says there is something worth reading over there.

I think most people can state their views of different artists without being stupid and narrow minded about it. Somehow we get some real winners over here on occasion that just tick people off. It isn't always what they say but how they say it.

Oh, well such is life. Hope you stick around.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2003 :  9:39:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Welcome aBOARD sinko25, glad you stopped by and hope you can contribute on a regular basis. Seems by your post above you have pretty level head on your shoulders and will fit in just fine with this bunch. HEHE Always nice to have a new member who isn't slagging us. THANX!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Waldo
Is Anybody Here?

13 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2003 :  01:46:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Waldo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Keep up the good task force work, guys. :) There are some folks over at nancies.org that are in need of some Tim Reynolds education, and y'all are just the people to do it, as best as I can tell. I wish that I had time to lay the smack down (I don't actually know what that figure of speech means, but it sounds good) more often, but with 25,000 users on our discussion boards now, I have a hard time keeping up.

I, too, really got a kick out of the "Tim's just touring for the money" thread. It's quite alarming how long people are willing to talk without ever really saying anything, as many posts in that thread demonstrated. :)

Waldo Jaquith
waldo@nancies.org
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2003 :  02:40:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey! Waldo's come over to our side! Alright! Hope to se you post more, Waldo.......and welcome aBOARD.

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page

DMBFanSJ
Try A Little Harder

78 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2003 :  12:55:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that talking about whether someone is a good musician, and whether or not you like their music are two different topics. Even if you watched Tim play a show and absolutely hated the way each of his songs sounded (I know it's not possible, but bear with me! :O) ) You still couldn't deny his musical talent and obviously large depth of knowledge of the guitar. These things are not subjective, music is a language, and just because you might not like what TR says, if you know anything about music at all you'll be able to appreciate how well he says it and how much he's able to say!
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2003 :  2:54:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I would have to agree with you dmbfanSJ, and welcome aBOARD Waldo!! It's always nice to see you!! I have a hard enuf TIMe keeping up with my "dinky" board, I can't imagine trying to keep up with what you have to keep up with over at nancies.org. Thanx again for gracing us with your presence on "our side". I hope you can contribute every once in a while and much thanx for all your support over at nancies.org.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000