TR Book Recommendations 4 PJK & Everyone Else
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2003 :  07:54:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well we have done a great job keeping topics like this out of the TRelated section, but in this instance I feel this one does belong here. TR asked me to post this list of books as people are always asking TR what he's been reading. Well he finally got around to compiling a list(actually 2 lists)of books he HIGHLY recommends checking out. And PJK, looks like a perfect TIMe for him to post this long awaited list as you have lots of TIMe on your hands for reading. What follows below is straight from TR, including all notes and comments. ENJOY
-----------------------------------------

Recommended Books Part 1(of two lists)

1. The Peoples History of the United States( Howard Zinn )
2. Profit Over People ( Noam Chomsky )
3. Manufacturing Consent ( Chomsky )
4. Understanding Power: The Indispenable Chomsly ( Chomsky )
5. Power and Terror ( Chomsky )
6. The Best Democracy Money Can Buy( Greg Palast )
7. War is a Force That Gives Us Meaning( Chris Hedges )
8. Power Politics ( Arundhati Roy )
9. The Cost of Living ( A. Roy )
10. All Fall Down ( William Thomas )
11. Chemtrails Confirmed ( W. Thomas )
12. Dreaming War : Blood for Oil and the Cheney-Bush Junta( Gore Vidol )
13. Perpetual War for Perpetual Peace ( G. Vidol )
14. BODY OF SECRETS ( James Bamford )
15. Sleeping With the Devil: How Washington Sold our Soul for Saudi Crude ( Robert Baer )
16. War Against the Weak: Eugenics and Americas Campaign to Create a Master Race( Edwin Black )
17. The New Nuclear Danger : Gearge W. Bush's Military-Indstrial Complex( Dr. Helen Caldicott )
18. The Tibetan Book of the Dead( Evans-Wentz )
19. The Tibetan Bok of the Dead( Robert A. F. Thurman )
20. The Tibetan Book of the Dead(Chogyam Trungpa )
21. The Tibetan Book of the Great Liberation( Evans-Wentz)

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2003 :  07:58:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Books pt. 2 HOPE

1. The Art of Happiness( His Holiness the Dalai Lama )
any or all books by the Dalai Lama
2. Heart of Wisdom , A Commentary to the Heart Sutra ( Geshe Kelsang Gyatso )
3.The Silent Language ( Edward T.Hall )
4. The Power of Now ( Ekhart Tolle ) AMAZING!!!!
5.The Mysticism of Sound and Music( Hazrat Inayat Khan ) also AMAZING!!!
6. Art and Physics: Parallel Visions in Space, Time and Light(Leonard Shlain )
7. Earth Ascending: An Illustrated Treatise on the Law Governing Whole Systems( Jose Arguelles )
8. The Prophet ( Kahlil Gibran )
9. The Game of Life ( Timothy Leary )
10. Bringers of the Dawn ( Barbra Marciniak )far out .......beautiful
11. Kingdom of Fear ( Hunter S. Thompsom )fuck yeah
12. Theives in High Places : They've Stolen our Country and it's Time toTake it Back( Jim Hightowre )
13. Stupid White Men ( Micheal Moore )
14. Race Matters ( Cornel West )
15. The Autobiography of Malcom X( Alex Haley )
16. Symbols of Transformation ( Carl Jung )
all or any other books by Jung, especially .........
17. Memories, Dreams, Reflections ( Carl Jung )

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2003 :  10:09:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'll look into those fluffy, i have access to a nice college library now, so i'll see what i can find.

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2003 :  01:11:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great list. I especially like List #2. Anything by the Dali Lama is awesome.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2003 :  4:58:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks fluffy I've already read some and they're good so I'll definitely check into the others.

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2003 :  2:22:38 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Wow, that is an awesome list. I totally dig how TR not only took the time to give those to us, but also how he made the two lists with seperate themes. I was just looking at that Profit Over People book the other day at Borders. Thanks for posting the list!

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

The Master
Is Anybody Here?

10 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2003 :  10:50:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit The Master's Homepage  Send The Master an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...interesting...

Sad that most of those books are nothing but liberal rantings on vast right wing conspiracies.

Ah, well, I love the man's music at least.

Signature? Uhhh...I have bad handwriting...
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2003 :  12:38:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
T.M.- I can see where you might come up with that notion from the first list, minus #'s 18-21, but how could you say that about the second list?

I would think at least The Mysticism of Sound and Music would perhaps interest you.....or not? (list 2 #5)

No matter, music is really the focus of all of us here anyway, and since you do love that it's all good!

BTW could I interest you in reading Ishmael by Daniel Quinn? Extremely thought provoking, different than you would imagine, or at least it wasn't what I was expecting when Fluffy recommended it to me. I am reading it for the second time now, after which I am reading The Story of B and My Ishmael also by Daniel Quinn!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2003 :  3:33:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey tm, the list was just a list of recommendations. There was no suggestion that you read anything you don't want to, just suggestions if you are interested and what to get inside TR's mind a little more and understand where he stands and how his mind thinks and works. People are constantly asking TR what he has been reading and this is just an honest list of books he's read and enjoyed and wanted to share that list the folks who are interested. TR would probably not be insulted to be called a "liberal" but he would probably complement that with "progressive". TR does not like the state of politics and is not afraid or ashamed to say something about it. If you don't agree, that's fine, I am sorry you prefaced your statement with "Sad that". Maybe, "Interestingly" would have been a better way to start that sentence. Just my opinion, what do I know.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2003 :  4:48:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took the $40 I won from the lottery ticket I was given and bought The Art of Happiness by His Holiness the Dalai Lama (who is coming to NYC this Sept) and The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying by Sogyal Rinpoche. I am going to have fun reading tonight!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2003 :  7:29:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
PJK wrote:
quote:
The Art of Happiness by His Holiness the Dalai Lama (who is coming to NYC this Sept) and The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying by Sogyal Rinpoche. I am going to have fun reading tonight!

Don't you mean, you are going to have "liberal rantings on vast right wing conspiracies" reading tonight!? LOL

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2003 :  8:48:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HAHAHAHAHA Lol

Go to Top of Page

j
Chatterbox

149 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2003 :  2:48:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit j's Homepage  Send j an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think I would have to agree with tm; it is sad that there's no fiction on there. I think I like the idea of having read books like "Stupid White Men" or "Manufacturing Consent" but mostly that kind of literary work only holds my attention for a few chapters. What's more is that these books feel more like required reading; something I would read to reaffirm my opinions and politics. I don't really see how I would draw any pleasure from these books. As an English major, after having read loads upon loads of criticism, I've come to learn that books by authors like Alan Watts or Noam Chomsky are, if nothing else, incredibly boring. Like I said, I like the idea and what is being said in those books but I always end up enjoying something like Tom Stoppard's "Rosencrantz and Gildenstern are Dead" or Walker Percy's "The Moviegoer."

meh

your words burn the air like the names of candy bars
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2003 :  8:13:55 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Since TR mentioned "Stupid White Men", I'm sue he, and others might want to know that on Oct. 7th, "Dude, Where's my County?" By Michael Moore will be released. Should be good, as all of him stuff usually is.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  10:09:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I used a gift certificate to buy three of these books. I bought Bringers of the Dawn by Barbara Marciniak, Kingdom of Fear by Hunter Thompson, and a book I have wanted to read for a real long time and I even remember VWF saying how good it was, The Autobiography of Malcom X as told to Alex Haley.

So I have my reading cut out for me. I started to read Bringers of the Dawn and TIM is right, it is far out!

Go to Top of Page

monadyne
Is Anybody Here?

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2003 :  11:02:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for posting that. Very interesting.
Go to Top of Page

URockstar
Is Anybody Here?

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  12:57:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit URockstar's Homepage  Send URockstar an AOL message  Reply with Quote

1. The Peoples History of the United States( Howard Zinn )

WOW - that is highly weird. I am reading said book in my History class right now! Well, this semester I mean. That's kind of freaky.

===============
my site : http://www.mtsu.edu/~sbc2d/
Go to Top of Page

Katchoo
Try A Little Harder

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  4:51:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bad ass list.

I am working on Borderlands by Gloria Anzaldua. Amazing.
Go to Top of Page

Katchoo
Try A Little Harder

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2003 :  12:00:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of books,

Fluffy, did you ever get those books I sent you?

Just wondering....

Katchoo (Kiah)
Go to Top of Page

JoeGamo05
Chatterbox

USA
279 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2003 :  9:32:08 PM  Show Profile  Send JoeGamo05 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
are these in from favorite to least favorite or whatever? wheres tr's book? lol

When the trees start walking, the ground starts moving, your insane, your insane
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  9:57:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just read The Art of Happiness by the Dalai Lama and it's pretty good so I'm just adding my reccomendation to it. Also I'd like to add Earth Acsending is cool as well as all the chomsky. Oh and the Arundhati Roy books are good as well. I should finish the list off in the next couple of years so I'll let you know on the rest of them.

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2004 :  12:46:49 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i recommend reading the dragonlance books by tracy hickman and margaret weis.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

pants_happy
Chatterbox

412 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  12:14:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
those books are pretty good, especially the first 4. good and detailed characters, setting, and story. but sometimes when you read them, it can feel like it's a been there, done that situation (i'm not talking re-reading, i mean some parts seem like they're taken right out of another book, while others seem too tolkienish). but, if you like fantasy, chances are you'll like those. also, to those who haven't yet read, i would warn against reading anything from the 5th age on up, even if hickman and weis did write some of them, they just smack of anything related to effort. especially the whole thing with backtracking on who chaos is, there's just way too many contridictions simply for the sake of continuing the series and selling more books. with every new series they say it's the last, but then they drag it out of purgatory, doing more harm then good. but that's just my opinion. also there are some good dragonlance books not written by hickman and weis, such as the Legend of Huma by Richard A. Knaak (one of my all time favorites) or the Gates of Thorobardin (sp?). anyway, i'm not ragging on your opinion, i'm just rudely and delightfully inserting my own.

while we're on the topic of nerdly books, i would have to suggest a series of Dark Sun books by Troy Denning called the Prism Pentad (starting with the book called the Verdant Passage, then the Crimson Legion, followed by the Amber Enchantress, then the Obsidian Oracle, and last is the Cerulean Storm)
Denning also did a really good series called the Twilight Giants Trilogy(The Ogre's Pact, The Giant Among Us, and the Titan of Twilight)

anyway, that's the end of my ranting, for now...
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  03:37:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"The Dark Tower" Series by Stephen King.
The Illiad and The Odyssey by Homer.
The Histories by Herodotus.
Scotland by Magnus Magnusson.
Theodore Rex by Edmund Morris. (About the greatest president ever, another TR, in fact.)

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  01:11:59 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Just read The Art of Happiness by the Dalai Lama and it's pretty good so I'm just adding my reccomendation to it.

Interestingly enough the Dalai Lama is going to be giving a lecture at my school Friday... unforunately I wasn't able to snag any tickets. I think it will be webcasted though. Here is a link if anyone is interested.

http://www.uci.edu/DalaiLama/

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2004 :  3:54:19 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
technically, the high god created the three other gods through chaos, so "father" would be an appropriate term for him. however, reorx calling him "Himself" would not be correct.

i'm not a huge fan of the 2nd generation, with palin and steel and those. when i suggested dragonlance i meant the war of the lance, the three books about raistlin and caramon. actually, any book about raistlin is good. i even named my cd "raistlin's ambition" in hopes it would make it better. it didn't.

another series that has problems with repeating itself is the malloreon in relationship with the belgariad. it's pretty much the same books, but things get a little more ridiculous after torak dies. the book about polgara and the book about belgarath pretty much rule, too.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2004 :  09:08:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This seems more like a "Space Pod" thread now -- since we're talking about BOARD members' recommendations instead of TR's.
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2004 :  3:07:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Seems like a great TIMe to bring this back around given the conversation in the "The Real Spirit" thread. 2 books TR just gave me to read I thought I would pass along here as they seem very pertinent to the conversation. One was mentioned in his original list(pt. 2) and a new one to the list. They are by Jose Arguelles:

The Mayan Factor: Path Beyond Technology
Earth Ascending: An Illustrated Treatise on the Law Governing Whole Systems

TR found it beautiful the way it tied into music especially and so many other things. It seemed like every TIMe I mentioned sychronicity TR would get excited and say "YOU GOTTA READ THOSE ARGUELLES BOOKS!"

He finally finished Ishmael and Story of B and loved them. Although he said they were kinda scary in a way because they can leave you feeling like there is no hope.(not his exact words, but a shortened paraphrasing by me of our conversation) but the more people who read them the more its likely that the enlightened mind could actually change things.

quote from the other thread:
quote:
mayan calendar ends 2012, but it says the earth will experiance a great event... doesnt say if its good or bad, or that the world is ending, or being reborn.

Depends on your perspective and beliefs whether the world ending is good or bad, but in my opinion "the world ending, or being reborn" is the SAME exact thing. In my belief and opinion the WORLD will not end, SOCIETY as we know it might end as a result of the WORLD(or earth)cleansing itself of the virus foist upon Her known as society. Her cleansing(which I assume is what most people would call "the end of the world")will also be Her rebirth. Once again, this is only my humble opinion.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2004 :  4:13:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fluffy

...he would probably compliment that with "progressive".

I haven't been a grammar geek in quite a while, so I thought I'd throw a little lesson into the mix. Sorry I didn't notice the mistake the first time around...

I believe the word you're looking for here is "complement."

From the American Heritage Dictionary: Complement and compliment, though quite distinct in meaning, are sometimes confused because they are pronounced the same. As a noun, complement means “something that completes or brings to perfection” (The antique silver was a complement to the beautifully set table); used as a verb it means “to serve as a complement to.” The noun compliment means “an expression or act of courtesy or praise” (They gave us a compliment on our beautifully set table), while the verb means “to pay a compliment to.” (http://www.bartleby.com/61/87/C0528700.html)
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2004 :  5:02:55 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
well probably for most people "the end of the world" and "the end of humans" amount to the same thing. maybe it ends in 2012 because of some long term comet that we don't know about because its orbital period is ridiculously long. we really don't keep good tabs on what can possibly hit the earth. we only have the orbits of a few near-earth asteriods mapped and not that many people are looking.

i just started re reading the 2nd generation books. the more i read them the more i don't like them. none of the characters are as good. raistlin is a fantastic character, probably my favorite from any book. the others are entertaining and engaging, as well, but seem much more 1 dementional compared to him.

i take back what i said about the belgariad and malloreon. they're supposed to be really similar because of the nature of the prophecies.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  9:49:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't want to start a new thread but I got some awesome books at Barnes and Nobles tonight. The first is the Grateful Dead, The Illustrated Trip (a $50 orig price on their sale table for $9.98) which you have to be a fan to appreciate, but the other one I am going to start reading tonight that I am really interested in is:

WHILE EUROPE SLEPT, how radical Islam is Destroying the West from within, by Bruce Bawer.

Let me give you a bit of the first chapter: On the morning of Nov 2,2004, I sat at my mother's kitchen table in Queens, NY, drinking instant coffee and thinking about George W. Bush and John Kerry. It was Election Day and I was irked that since I was flying back home to Oslo that evening, I'd miss the vote count on TV.
The phone rang."Hello? Oh, yes. Just a moment." My mother held out the phone. "It's Mark." I took it.
"Mark?"
"Hi Bruce. Have you heard about Theo van Gogh?"
"No, what?"
"He was murdered this morning."
"You're kidding."
Mark, like me, is an American with a Norwegian partner. But though he moved back to NY years ago, he still starts the day by checking the news at the Web site of NRK, Norway's national radio and TV network. Switching into Norwegian, he read me the story. Van Gogh, a Dutch filmmaker and newspaper columnist, had been shot and killed in Amsterdam. Shortly afterward, police had arrested a 26 year old Dutch-Moroccan man.
Later, I'd learn more. Van Gogh had been bicycling to work along a street called Linnaeusstraat when Mohammed Bouyeri, the Dutch-born son of Moroccan parents and a member of the radical Muslim network, had shot him, knocking him off his bicycle. Bouyeri, wearing a long jellaba, pumped up to twenty additional bullets into van Gogh's body, stabbed him several times and slit his throat. He pinned to van Gogh's chest with a knife a five-page letter addressed to the filmmaker's collaborator, Parliament member Ayaan Hirsi Ali, quoting the Koran and promising her several other Dutch leaders (whom he named) a similar end:
I know definitely that you, O America, will go down. I know definitely that you , O Europe, will go down. I know definitely that you O Netherlands, will go down. I know definitely O Hirsi Ali, will go down.

According to witnesses, van Gohg had said to his murderer (who at the time was living on welfare payments from the Dutch government):"Don't do it! Don't do it! Mercy! Mercy!" And "Surely we can talk about this." The blunt, outspoken van Gogh had been and unsparing critic of European passivity in the face of fundamentalist Islam; unlike most Europeans, he'd understood the connection between war on terror and the European integration crisis, and had called America "the last beacon of hope in a steadily darkening world." Together he and Hirsi Ali had made a short film, Submission, he'd directed and she'd written the script- about the mistreatment of women in Islamic cultures.

That got me hooked on the book. If anyone is interested I will let you know what I think of it when I finish it. Anyone else ever read this?

Go to Top of Page

Robin
Yak Addict

USA
598 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  10:38:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't read it but it sounds really good. Let us know...I just started reading "The True Power Of Water" which Fluffy told me about awhile ago. I recieved it for my birthday this year. It's by Masaru Emoto. The book of the Dead mentioned on TR's list is really amazing by the way. Peace, Robin
Go to Top of Page

zenTR
Is Anybody Here?

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  12:26:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Robin, the true power of water is a crazy book with very interesting theories. I'm interested to know your thoughts when you're finished
Go to Top of Page

BenPezzner
Try A Little Harder

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  10:38:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit BenPezzner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I read it as well, and actually briefly met Dr. Emoto at my school last year while attending a guest lecture of his. I'd have to say his shpiel is very interesting and fun to think about, but incredibly light on the evidence part. In his books there are no in-depth scientific explanations of what he is doing, just the fact that he has his interns make the crystals for him; and in person, his talks resemble more of a religious appeal than a scientist explaining and backing up his work. Interesting though, nonetheless.

Ben

www.pezshow.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000