TRelated Topics
 More info on new COVER songs played this tour
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2004 :  7:39:51 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
So after hearing a bunch of new songs on this tour I asked how many were covers, and it appears Tim is playing quite a few new covers including:

- The Cardigans: Explode
- The Cardigans: Do You Believe
- Aphrodite's Child: Babylon
- Aphrodite's Child: The Four Horsemen
- Aphrodite's Child: Loud, Loud, Loud
- Iggy Pop: Shake Appeal

god
Kevin

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2004 :  9:11:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iggy Pop. Damn I didn't know that Tim was into Iggy. I've never heard any of the other stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2004 :  01:04:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
cool shit.

We should get a covers comp started. That would fucking rock :D

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  03:33:13 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Explode was played at the Key Club show... and afterwards, Tim muttered into the mic, "sorry, it sounds better with a girl singing" but DAMN, I thought that Tim's version was quite stunning. Once the recoding comes out, be sure to check out this song and compare it to the Cardigan's. I think Tim did it a great justice.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  6:47:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
TR informs me he was up until 5am working out his blistering cover of "Crisis King" by Helmet from the Aftertaste album. He is not sure if we will hear it tonite at Sweetwater but he tells me he may try it out out loud at soundcheck. We will see how it goes, (c)Rew and myself are quite excited, and so is TR, you should have heard him on the phone this morning. Talking about his drummer being able to keep up. What a great TouRing band TR has at the moment. LOL

PS: 2 nites ago at Soho in Santa Barbara he did a Annie Lennox cover.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  7:24:06 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Awesome news Fluffy, this tour seems to be quite cover heavy, how cool to hear all these new interpretations from TR! By any chance, do you know the cover that he did in the middle of the set in San Juan Capistrano? Before he did it, Tim said something like "This is the first, and probably the last time I'll do this song". I didn't get a picture of the set that night. And here's to hoping that if the HELMET cover happens, that it is recorded.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Is Anybody Here?

17 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  11:18:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KevinLesko

By any chance, do you know the cover that he did in the middle of the set in San Juan Capistrano? Before he did it, Tim said something like "This is the first, and probably the last time I'll do this song". I didn't get a picture of the set that night.

Was that the "tender" song?
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2004 :  12:41:37 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes it was!

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2004 :  04:24:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Wild guess here but maybe "Junk of the Hearts" by the Cardigans. It was definitely played that nite and to my knowledge only that nite. Definitely the only nite for that song on this run of dates so far. Come Together by the Beatles made an appearance this evening. May have been one of the best versions I have heard TR do. Unfortunately, tonite was the first nite that was not recorded.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2004 :  05:02:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
- The Cardigans: Junk of the Hearts
- Neil Young: Natural Anthem
- The Beatles: Come Together
- The Beatles: All You Need Is Love
- Bob Marley: Buffalo Soldier

Aphrodite's Child 666: Apocalypse of St John

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Is Anybody Here?

17 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2004 :  2:59:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fluffy

Wild guess here but maybe "Junk of the Hearts" by the Cardigans. It was definitely played that nite and to my knowledge only that nite. Definitely the only nite for that song on this run of dates so far. Come Together by the Beatles made an appearance this evening. May have been one of the best versions I have heard TR do. Unfortunately, tonite was the first nite that was not recorded.

That was it.

Thanks Fluffy!
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2004 :  5:45:55 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Fluffy, one more to add to that list...
- Bob Marley: Jump Nyabinghi (this is the name of the 2nd Marley tune played after Buffalo Soldiar in San Diego)

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2004 :  08:47:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
- Annie Lennox: Primitive
- Neil Young: Ohio/After the Goldrush
- Bob Marley: Natural Mystic
- Bob Marley: Jump Nyabinghi (is this the song TRefers to as "HERB" Kevin?)
- Zager & Evans: In the Year 2525(one of my fave songs of all TIMe)
- Peter Gabriel: In Your Eyes
- Dion & the Belmonts: Abraham Martin & John
- Helmet: Crisis King
- Marvin Gaye: Inner City Blues

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  5:12:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jump Nyabinghi would make sense as the Herb song, Fluffy, since in the middle of the song Marley and his singers all chant "We got da herb" three or four times.
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  2:43:12 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Fluffy, after listening again to Marley's version of the song off Confrontation, I can assure you 100% that Tim's "Herb Song" is indeed Jump Nyabinghi. And might I add that after listening to it, it is quite amazing how Tim not only plays the melody, but also plays the chorus on his guitar (as he does with most covers) JUST FREEKIN AMAZING!!!

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  8:29:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I will reinforce that Jump Nyabinghi is the "herb" song. Also Tim does a great job covering it. The first time I heard I had the biggest grin on my face. This coming from a Marley fan though.

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  9:52:58 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I looked into that Aphrodite's Child cd at work, and tried to do an order for it, but it looks as though both the domestic release as well as the import are out of print, so he only way to get that is to find it used. I'll def. take a look for it in Amoeba next time I'm in Hollywood, otherwise I might have to order one of those used copies off amazon. BTW, Tim's covers of these songs were GREAT!!!

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2004 :  02:45:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I highly recommend getting a copy of the AC CD if you can locate one, especially if you are a fan of concept albums in the vein of Pink Floyd. You will not be disappointed. Keep in mind this was recorded way back in '71 prolly making it one of the first concept albums of it's TIMe. TR had always told me he was a big fan of the album and wished he could find it on CD. I located it on ebay and purchased a copy for TR and myself. I hadn't listened to that album in prolly 20 years and had forgotten how intense it can be. It really is amazing and you are right Kev, TR's versions were awesome!! Are you still astralpuke on IM?

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2004 :  02:48:18 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Are you still astralpuke on IM

Always!

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  11:01:37 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Looks like we can officially add Helmet's "Crisis King" to Tim's list o' covers. And might I add, it is quite rockin!!

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  11:11:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome! I was hoping he'd add it to the rotation.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  6:20:30 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The Cardigans: Explode
- Annie Lennox: Primitive
- Neil Young: Ohio/After the Goldrush
- Bob Marley: Natural Mystic
- Bob Marley: Jump Nyabinghi (is this the song TRefers to as "HERB" Kevin?)
- Zager & Evans: In the Year 2525(one of my fave songs of all TIMe)
- Peter Gabriel: In Your Eyes
- Dion & the Belmonts: Abraham Martin & John
- Helmet: Crisis King
- Marvin Gaye: Inner City Blues

All of these were played that tour? I know some of these are not on the cover list. Looks like I need to add them (alphebetically now) to the MASTER list.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  6:59:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KevinLesko

I looked into that Aphrodite's Child cd at work, and tried to do an order for it, but it looks as though both the domestic release as well as the import are out of print, so he only way to get that is to find it used. I'll def. take a look for it in Amoeba next time I'm in Hollywood, otherwise I might have to order one of those used copies off amazon. BTW, Tim's covers of these songs were GREAT!!!

They still have a couple of new copies of 666 (it's a double album) left in stock on Amazon.com for 34.99, or I can get it for you on Amazon.de for 17,99 Euros. (With currency conversion, that's around $22.)

teri
Twittering about the DC adventure since Dec '09...
(Micro)Blog * Photo Album
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000