Skillz?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2004 :  3:14:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am just wondering about the rest of you guys on this board...I have been playing for about 2 years now and I am getting to the point where I am thinking about playing out at bars, clubs, etc. I have You Are My Sanity, As Far As We Can See, And Then They Were Free, Decline in Reason, Valley of Flowers, and Hopeful Heresy down pat, and am currently working on Metamorphosis. I play these well enough that I would feel confident playing them out, with all due credit of course. I was just wondering which Tim stuff you all out there like to play or actually cover.

P.S. I read that one thread linked to that kid who plays Hopeful Heresy in a crappy Dave set and it sucks ass (you know who you are). I assure you, I am much better.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List

guitarted
Chatterbox

Canada
487 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2004 :  8:37:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hopeful Rolling Waves

I am just wondering about the rest of you guys on this board...I have been playing for about 2 years now and I am getting to the point where I am thinking about playing out at bars, clubs, etc. I have You Are My Sanity, As Far As We Can See, And Then They Were Free, Decline in Reason, Valley of Flowers, and Hopeful Heresy down pat, and am currently working on Metamorphosis. I play these well enough that I would feel confident playing them out, with all due credit of course. I was just wondering which Tim stuff you all out there like to play or actually cover.

P.S. I read that one thread linked to that kid who plays Hopeful Heresy in a crappy Dave set and it sucks ass (you know who you are). I assure you, I am much better.

playing for 2 years and being able to do that all is REALLY good. I have three years experience and I can't do any tim songs really. I don't really learn a lot of music though, I'm working on improv and shit.

YOu must have other musical background to pick up the guitar like that. If not, I almost don't believe you.

If it feels right, do it. I'm not going to play for anyone until I'm amazing, and I do mean amazing.

Tim, come to Canada!
Go to Top of Page

SandyCarl
Try A Little Harder

81 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2004 :  10:47:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have some guitars, does that count for anything?
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2004 :  07:58:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I would be happy to record a few of them and post them on the board sometime soon. Plus, the songs that I do play are usually pretty structured with not a lot of improv. With 3 years on guitar, (guitarted) I think you could play them as well if you tried.

Go to Top of Page

JemezFoodPeople
Chatterbox

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2004 :  10:07:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit JemezFoodPeople's Homepage  Send JemezFoodPeople an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I used to play Is Anybody Here and blend it right into To Touch Yearning right before the complicated parts of IAH came in, cos I am just not good enough to pull that off, haha

"Do you have the patience to wait
till your mud settles and the water is clear?
Can you remain unmoving
till the right action arises by itself?"
-Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

www.mattwinn.com
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2004 :  10:24:03 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Pretty much the only Tim song I can do is There Is No Judgment, and I can also do Stream if the moon phase is right . I haven't built up the speed yet to play most of his stuff, or the dexterity. Plus, I've been into playing and singing for so long, I never really got into playing straight instrumentals.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2004 :  11:19:15 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
the only tim songs i really play out are decline in reason, you are my sanity, which i segue into one of my own, and stream. people seem to like stream, but i only play it on my 12 string, and that's usually not in the right tuning for it.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2004 :  1:25:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like to blend "Loose Interpretations" and "Turn it into Love" with this huge drop C medley I have going on right now. And then I like to play "Smile".

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2004 :  1:59:14 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
smile's fantastic.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2004 :  3:12:48 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I forgot You Are My Sanity, I have a good handle on that one.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2004 :  3:32:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Indeed it is.

I love the jazzy sound and feel of "Century Sister" but I definitely am not going to be playing that anytime soon.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2004 :  5:20:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Smile is a great one, I should give that a try. And I can play about the first 30 seconds of Century Sister...he's an animal on that track, if I had video of it I'd have a better idea of his hand economics. It seems once you actually SEE him play something, if you can mimic his left hand, everything falls into place pretty well with a little elbow grease. I couldn't get the rythmn on H.H. for a while, but when I saw the 10/10/01 show, it made it way easier. Anyway...all of you...tell me what you're playing!

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2004 :  6:32:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even after seeing "Century Sister", it is mighty intimidating.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

guitarisPIMP
Yak Addict

Niue
587 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  3:37:06 PM  Show Profile  Send guitarisPIMP an AOL message  Reply with Quote
its not that unbelievable, i know a kid who after a year and a half of playing, he could play eruption by van halen flawlessly. For anyone of you not familiar with that song, its basically some very very VERY amazing flatpicking and tapping showered in distortion. I myself have been playing for about 1 - 1 1/2 years and i can play you are my sanity, as far as we can see, los alamos is burning, and some of metamorphosis with no mistakes (usually ) and im pretty good at improv, mainly because i play upwards of 3 hours a day on average. Funny thing is i didnt even really want to pick up guitar despite my love for music, and my mom kinda forced me to take one lesson (i was only like 14 or 15 at the time) and i fell in love with it. I guess thats what molds a great player, is non-stop practice. One thing i cant do for shit is all the tapping techniques that tim uses...I WANT THOSE DAMN TAPPING SKILLZ..

Edit: by the way, guitarted, i agree i think with 3 years under ur belt you could play lots of tim songs given the appropriate practice time

my favorite color is go fuck yourself. :D
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  4:02:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
guitarisPIMP: I know how you feel about those tapping techniques, I don't know if you saw the video of Metamorphosis from the 2001 video off the FTP, but that and the Wayfarer, I can't figure out he gets that quick of a rhytmn with his thumb. Hours of masturbation, I guess. But yeah, with a good amount of practice, I play 1-4 hours a day, you can play anything you beat into yourself. I'd also like to know how you play Los Alamos is burning, I just started getting into that track after buying the Nomadic Wavelength album, the improv on that one in particular is sweet.

Go to Top of Page

guitarisPIMP
Yak Addict

Niue
587 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  4:26:58 PM  Show Profile  Send guitarisPIMP an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hopeful Rolling Waves: well often times i segue you are my sanity into los alamos is burning since the Em-ish chord has similar fingering to the intro riff and its easy to improv into, but basically i play the main part for a good while messing around inside it when he plays the second part of the main riff (not the part where he strums x3400x but when he fingers out a rhythm). After that when he gets into the Dsus chord and the "brighter," more typical classical sounding part i move through that part rather quickly, i guess since i just like the feel of the other parts better. And for the improv part i do ALOT of chord arpeggiation and improved picking patterns (it helps if you have fast fingers and techniques like the rasquedos - if thats how rasquedos is spelled - down pat), and i mainly use 024000, 354000, 5325xx, xxx151716, xxx121312, xxx987, x24430, and alot of other Em, G, A, and Bm chords. What i like to do is on the first two mentioned chords i have plenty of free fingers, and i hate free fingers so i play with the b and e strings with them. Eventually ill land back on the You Are My Sanity chord, and ill fiddle with it, untill i slow the tempo down, and turn on the delay and volume effect and have a pretty little trippy ending. Hope that helps and i realize this is all very wordy and sloppy with the chords so if you'd like me to make some tab and show you some patterns i pick with i'd be glad to for you.

By the way, im in the same boat as you are, considering trying to find gigs at places like restaurants for background music, just anything i can get my hands on for money since i dont feel like getting a real job during the school year, so let me know if you're successful in gettin some $$$ out of your skills, as im sure you will .

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  5:36:09 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
he's right. if you play for a year and a half, but that's really all you do, then you'll be pretty good. as far as i'm concerned, that's really the only way to do it.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  11:13:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Pimp, thanks for the insight. Did you base what you play from the tab for LAIB, or did you figure it out yourself? I like to do As Far As We Can See into Valley of Flowers, the overlap there is kind of obvious I guess. I don't know if you've seen or heard TIM's 10/10/01 show, but on the As Far As We Can See, he plays very rapid scales on the intense part of the song...I can't figure out if he's doing it with just his thumb or his thumb and index finger.

But yeah, as soon as I get out in the world with my wooden box, I'll let you know how it turns out with the $, I figure if I play a mix of covers and orginials, I should be able to generate some interest I guess. We'll see, I have a job, so I get paid anyway...HAHA.

Go to Top of Page

guitarisPIMP
Yak Addict

Niue
587 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  1:22:23 PM  Show Profile  Send guitarisPIMP an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i based some of it off of the tab on the site, but plenty of it is based straight off of my own style of playing. Tim's style is kind of similar to mine, though, with alot of fingerpicking and with plenty of strange chords... valley of flowers is a song i havent really tried to learn yet, so i wouldnt know. Does the transitition involve a key change, or is it REALLY that obvious?

Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2004 :  09:03:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I guess if you haven't tried playing the 2 yet, it wouldn't be. But they are both based on the open D chord (loosely), more so Valley of Flowers. You should check it out though, if you have video of it, both of them really, you can figure them out pretty quick.

Go to Top of Page

guitarisPIMP
Yak Addict

Niue
587 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2004 :  4:39:18 PM  Show Profile  Send guitarisPIMP an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i only have one tim video of him playing entity on the late show... good stuff. As soon as the server is back up, though im going to download plenty of videos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000