Does anyone have TR3 - TR3?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  2:26:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
and was that ever released on CD? we should get that intothe trading circles

~pw'oikr
~( ">

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  2:31:59 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Erich, I have an original copy of it on cassette, I think it might be one of the only copies around as we used a scan of it for the picture on the discography page. To the best of my knowledge, it was never released on CD.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  2:47:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
are you able to transfer it to cd at all?

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  2:54:34 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm getting the tapes from the nice fellow who has three TR3 shows. If I'm successful at transferring those, then I might see if I can get the other stuff and transfer/trade it as well.

But I'm not holding my breath on converting cass>cd. We'll see, that's all I'll say. :)

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  2:57:51 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
are you able to transfer it to cd at all?

I've been meaning to, but it's a scene for me to do. Is it something that you can easily do? If so, then perhaps I could send the tape to you, you could transfer it, and send it back to me? Who knows, maybe I'll even get my ass in gear and get it on my computer soon.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  4:56:49 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Kevo I don't think it's that hard... hardest part might be mastering it, to take out the tape hiss or something. But to get it to your computer, all you'd really have to to is connect your puter to your stereo (with deck) and you should be able to do it. I'll be giving it a shot before long, and I'll let you know my results. Wish me luck. :)

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  10:12:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well not to throw fuel on the fire, BUT I have a copy of it burned to CD from TR's last remaining copy. I JUST HAVE TO FIND IT and with the impending TouR and me leaving on Friday I don't think it's gonna happen very soon. But if all else fails I do have a copy somewhere already tracked to CD. Just putting it out there.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  10:29:21 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Fluffy one of these days when I visit you in DC, I'm going to have a computer there to transfer everything you have a copy of, get all the addresses of people who have taped shows and never resurfaced, and have a rip-roaring good time. Seriously man, you have the mother load of TR stuff...

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  01:21:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fluffy

Well not to throw fuel on the fire, BUT I have a copy of it burned to CD from TR's last remaining copy. I JUST HAVE TO FIND IT and with the impending TouR and me leaving on Friday I don't think it's gonna happen very soon. But if all else fails I do have a copy somewhere already tracked to CD. Just putting it out there.

that rocks hardcore!

Some other out of print tim related cds that i would love to see either re-released or made trade friendly:

Cosmology - Word From The Underground
Sticks & Stones - Face Of Sand
Secrets - Nine Sharp
Secrets - Live 87 90

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  12:04:11 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Some other out of print tim related cds that i would love to see either re-released or made trade friendly:

Secrets - Nine Sharp
Secrets - Live 87 90

I totally hear ya on those Erich! I've talked to Greg Howard about the possibility of re-issuing the "Face of Sand" disc, and unfortunately he said that he doesn't think that there would be a high enough demand to justify doing so. I know absolutely nothing abou those other discs, like when they were originally released, who would be in possesion of the master tapes.. etc. Do you happen to know anything about those other 3 you mentioned Erich?

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  12:05:58 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Well not to throw fuel on the fire, BUT I have a copy of it burned to CD from TR's last remaining copy.

Fluffy, that is rad!

quote:
I JUST HAVE TO FIND IT and with the impending TouR and me leaving on Friday I don't think it's gonna happen very soon.

What do you mean??? It's right there, next to the Astral Projection shirts

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  12:44:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
LOL, Kevin! I almost made a joke about that myself when I was talking about how long it might take to find the CD. I was gonna say just ask Kevin who is STILL waiting for his Asstrail Protection t-shirt.

I actually talked to TR about his past with Cosmology while we were on our last run of dates. I didn't know that Cosmology had such major ties to the NY jazz community. Apparently, TR was only end Cosmology at the tail end of their existence. As to who would have a copy of it, I am not sure. I can try and contact John D'earth about it, I bet he has a copy and maybe he might burn one for us to do some trading with. Really don't know anything about the Secrets stuff other than that it is on TR's discography page, how sad is that. LOL I can contact Greg and see if he might burn me a copy of Face Of Sand so we can trade copies of it, I am sure he must have a copy. So much to do, so little TIMe and so much TIM!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  1:41:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KevinLesko

I know absolutely nothing abou those other discs, like when they were originally released, who would be in possesion of the master tapes.. etc. Do you happen to know anything about those other 3 you mentioned Erich?

Fluffy knows more about Cosmology than I do, and what he knows im going to guess is what Tim told him (that he just posted).

Secrets I know a little more about, but not much. Carter, Butch, and John D'earth were in the band, and they released from what I know 3 albums, two of which had Tim. I put all the info i know into a new wiki page about them:

Secrets (band)

and their defunct website has a few MP3s:

http://www.secretsband.com
http://www.secretsband.com/recordings.asp

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  1:58:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If memory serves TR told me that John Abercrombie was in Cosmology at one point and definitely Jospe and D'earth. Apparently they started in NY which I was not aware of. I thought it was a local c-ville jazz project. I found a link to the infamous jazz musican Collin Walcott who was also apparently in Cosmology and here is the link:

http://www.collinwalcott.com/discography/cosmology.php

If you are not sure who Collin is, make sure to check out HIS discography page. Quite impressive!

WOW! The more I dig the more I learn. Funny how that works!

"Their collaboration began in New York City in the 70's with Cosmology, a seminal fusion band (before fusion became a derogatory term) that included such jazz luminaries as John Scofield, John Abercrombie, Dave Liebman, Rick Laird and Colin Walcott."

Amazingly, I can't find any kind of complete discography ANYWHERE for Cosmology. Not even on D'earth's website. Very little info out there about what we are looking for. Guess I will have to contact John directly to find out about this stuff. Where will I find the TIMe? LOL

Here is what is on John's website about Cosmology:

Cosmology was a New York based band that recorded for Vanguard Records. They toured the East Coast and performed regularly in NYC. The band was co-founded by John D'earth, Dawn Thompson and drummer/percussionist Robert Jospe. Cosmology was an adventurous jazz/rock band that, over the years, featured top players such as John Abercrombie, John Scofield, Tim Reynolds, Rick Laird, Armen Donelian, Kenny Kirkland, Collin Walcott, Barry Rogers, Dave Glen, Bob Moses, LeRoi Moore, and Carter Beauford, among others. Cosmology eventually relocated to Charlottesville, VA and performed into the 90's. The band had a profound impact on the music scene of C-ville. By galvanizing audiences with a completely original sound and inspiring the musicians who came into contact with them they have helped to make C-ville the hotbed of creative music that it is.....
Cosmology is a forerunner of the Thompson D'earth Band

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  4:22:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Wow, thanks a lot fluffy!

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  4:42:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Erich, did you ever get a copy of Light Up Ahead? I still have one for you and like an idiot in my haste to pack for this last run of shows I forgot to bring it with me. If you still need it, I have one for you from TR, one of his last copies. LMK

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  5:10:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I got a burned copy from Kevin, but id still love to have a cd of it. its alright that you forgot it though, I'll be seeing you and tim next time around without question. thanks

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  1:21:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
posted by Fluffy someTIMe ago in a now deleted thread:
quote:
So here is the deal with the TR3 cassette. That was the only format it was issued in. Many years ago I found TR's copy of the cassette and I burned a copy to CD that I tracked myself. I can dig it out as I unpack from my move. Better still, Greg Howard, who recorded and mixed it, has remastered it and is supposed to be sending me a CD copy of the remastered version. He sent one to TR and wanted to wait until he heard from TR about how he liked it before he send me a copy. Hopefully I will receive it soon and I will pass it along to the board for trading. I get back from TouR mid-May.
Good news!! I just received the remastered copy from Greg about a week before we left on this run of TouR dates. It sounds awesome by the way. The track listing:

01 - From This World
02 - Roman Alert
03 - Dreaming
04 - Uncover the Reason
05 - Spirits Journey
06 - Speakers
07 - Higher Plane
08 - Much More Than Old Fiends
09 - Mind Over Matter
10 - On the Edge

This was orginally released in a cassette only format in 1988. As I am sure you have already noticed by now there are almost 20 year old versions of From This World, Dreaming and Uncover the Reason. All I can say is WOW WOW WOW. I remember listening to this cassette when I found it in TR's collection the first year I worked for him. I transferred it to CD for myself and tucked it away never to hear it again until now. I liked it alot when I first heard it and even picked out Speakers as my FAVE track. It's very funky as is my other FAVE track Mind Over Matter. Ironically, both of these tracks are not sung by TR. That has nothing to do with me liking them more, it's actually their funkyness that really hooked me. A number of the songs have reggae guitar parts over more of a jazz/rock sound which shouldn't surprise us since TR on numerous occasions has talked about how much Bob Marley inspired him in those early days of his rockin' TR3 project. Dreaming, if you can imagine it, sounds like a Police song with TR singing. Some folks might call the sound of this CD dated and to a certain degree it, when I listen to it, I can definitely tell it's from the 80's but I don't think that's a bad thing. I have plenty of CDs of bands from the 80s that I still listen too and enjoy although most might want to say, "That's soooo DATED!" Another interesting thing is listening to the similarities and differences to the current versions. I was amazed how similar they are in structure, but the sound of them is so different. Even TR's voice sounds different to me. Still sounds like TR and I would recognize it at TR but his voice sounds somehow different. Maybe it's the chorus and effects on his voice that folks were so found of in the 80's. I am not sure how to explain it, but it sounds different yet recognizably TR. The whole CD is great and has a great blend of jazz/rock/reggae which should not surprise anyone who knows anything about TR. I remember another thread talking about old TR and TR3 music and seem to recall Soko chiming in about the TR3 tape and saying Speakers was his fave song as well. I absolutely LOVE that song. Not sure TR would ever do it again since he didn't sing it on the original, but who knows, stanger things have happened. I remember talking to TR about the TR3 tape when I came across it 7 years ago and you couldn't have convinced me, after talking to TR, that he would be revisiting some of those tracks 6 years later. It's a strange world this music world.

Here is a link to the thread where we talked about who was in TR3 and who appeared on the cassette with TR for those who want more details. It is also the thread where Soko mentions loving Speakers and he also listed the singer much to my curiosity. It was fellow named Warren Richardson. Here is the link for the complete lineup:

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1478

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  1:42:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any word on if we can have copies made and sent around or will it be avilable for purchase?

Another question, do songs like Sexual Tension, Do You Wanna Thrill Me?, or Trippin' On You exist in any studio form?

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  2:51:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'll answer the 2nd question first since it's the easiest: NO, not that I know of.

Now, the 1st is more complex. Bottom line, I must talk to TR and Greg about it first. Greg remastered it with the hope that TR might want to rerelease it. So in deference to Greg's work I must talk to him about it before anything happens. I should be seeing him in C-ville so I will know more after that show. I get the feeling that TR really doesn't have much interest in putting it out himself. That is not to say that maybe Greg won't put it out, I just don't know. I will find out from Greg where he stands on the subject. I was going to suggest that if Greg is OK with it, until a decision is reached, TRADING copies to fans, meaning not putting it online for download. Just TRADING it B&P style ONLY to people who want it. My feeling is that if people like you(Arthen), KevinLesko, Erich, EnthuTIMsiast, Silky, etc etc etc get burned copies now, you would still buy an official copy later as well. So it won't really impact a future release. I would just want all of you who acquire a copy to know that it should not be posted online for download until a decision is made as to whether it will come out again. Basically, keep it amongst ourselves until that is decided. I trust the people here to do that and if those people only give it to folks they TRUST and know I don't see it getting out should they decide to rerelease it officially. So basically, you see why I need to talk to Greg before anything. For now the decision lies with him but this is what I am going to suggest to him so that you guys can at least get copies ASAP. I really am anxious for you guys to hear these songs and these older versions and get some feedback on them. I really enjoyed them.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  3:51:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Makes sense to me, however it works out, I'm sure we'll get it eventually.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  2:42:12 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Wow! Very exciting news. I haven't listened to my cassette in years, heck I don't even think I have a cassette player anymore. Can't wait to hear the remastered cd whether it be burned or an official release.

Fluffy, Pam, or Patrick... maybe you guys can do a little investigaing on these titles when yuo are down in Charlottesville?

quote:

Secrets - Nine Sharp
Secrets - Live 87 90

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  4:52:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Some info about Cosmology from Greg Howard:
quote:
Regarding Cosmology, in it's final incarnation, Cosmology was Dawn, John, Tim, Carter and Yours Truly. I think we played two gigs with that lineup, including a Mother's Day Music Festival at the Tandem School in which Dave came and sang a tune or two. That would have been 1990, I think.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  3:36:07 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that update Fluffy!

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

SurferX
Chatterbox

USA
263 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  3:43:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit SurferX's Homepage  Send SurferX an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have copies of all 3 Secrets albums that I downloaded from some website a couple of years ago...

I don't know what I can do with them, but yeah...I've got them.

--Zak
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  3:53:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SurferX

I have copies of all 3 Secrets albums that I downloaded from some website a couple of years ago...

I don't know what I can do with them, but yeah...I've got them.

Holy shit! Put them on yousendit and we'll download the hell of them! What format are they in?

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

SurferX
Chatterbox

USA
263 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  6:25:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit SurferX's Homepage  Send SurferX an AOL message  Reply with Quote
128k Mp3s...Let me see what I can do here...

--Zak
Go to Top of Page

SurferX
Chatterbox

USA
263 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  1:05:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit SurferX's Homepage  Send SurferX an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sorry it's been so long...I've been unusually busy with work...

http://www.zakwinnick.com/secrets.zip

There's all 3 albums (Live 87-90, Secrets, and Nine Sharp), complete with album art.

WARNING: The file is 171mb. Just letting y'all know. Also, please don't share this link with anyone...If I see any unusual activity on the file (ie. 5000 downloads), I'll take it down. Sorry...Between this and my podcasts, I don't have a lot of bandwidth left...

--Zak
Go to Top of Page

Gtr Opus
Is Anybody Here?

16 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  5:31:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Holy Smokes SurferX ... you ROCK!!!

Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Gtr Opus
Is Anybody Here?

16 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  5:43:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SurferX,

I didn't get the album covers in the download. Can you email them to me?

Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

Gtr Opus
Is Anybody Here?

16 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  5:46:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man is this stuff really cool! Is TR on the live album? Gotta get those covers...
Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  03:39:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
check out this thread for the lossless secrets discs:

http://antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=170481&page=2

the original link i posted is dead for the re-up, sorry.

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  03:46:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Anyone willing to do a B&P copy for me? Or anyone in the madison, WI area?

Not communicating can hurt more than any word that can be said -

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

SurferX
Chatterbox

USA
263 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  4:49:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit SurferX's Homepage  Send SurferX an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If I did it correctly, the covers should be embedded in the mp3s...I'll have to see if I can dig up the original JPGs...

--Zak
Go to Top of Page

Gtr Opus
Is Anybody Here?

16 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  3:38:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What appeared to be images would not open because of the format. I really only need the covers to the Live CD since Erich led me to lossless versions of Nine Sharp and s/t.

Thanks man!

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  02:01:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Zak! Just finished downloading them, you are a gentlemen and a scholar sir!

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

SurferX
Chatterbox

USA
263 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  7:32:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit SurferX's Homepage  Send SurferX an AOL message  Reply with Quote
^ No prob, sir.

^^ As for the cover art, you might want to e-mail Justin over at www.beaufordbuddy.com. He was the one that originally posted the CDs and the cover art...I can't find the JPGs on my computer anywhere, but I'm pretty sure he still has them...Sorry I couldn't help out anymore on that one...

--Zak
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  07:44:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Popcorn!

Thanks for the empeethreez!

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000