New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  6:09:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone know what the date is or where the show was for the recording of TR and Gov't Mule playing "I shall be released"? Patrick (pcbTIM) sent it to me, but he didn't know the date.

This is sweet!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  7:30:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Pam, Not sure if this is the show you have but there is a good chance.

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=20825&dllist=1

Keep in mind TR did a TouR with Govt Mule as the opening act and I hear he sat in almost every nite. I guess they could have performed that song together at more than one show. Hopefully this helps. Maybe the setlist for this show will narrow it down for ya. Good luck and hope to see you at the a few of the upcoming shows!

In case that page goes away....

Gov't Mule
May 23, 1998
Outback Lodge
Charlottesville, VA
Acoustic Show

Source: Schoeps mk4 > cmc6 > HHb Portadat @ 48 kHz

Transfer: Sony 59ES > Monster s/pdif > Audiophile2496 > SoundForge 4.5 > CDWave > mkwACT > shn

Disc One
01 Intro
02 Raven Black Night
03 End of the Line
04 Goin' Down Slow
05 No Need to Suffer
06 Painted Silver Light
07 I Put a Spell on You
08 Kind of Bird
09 I Shall Return

Disc Two
01 It Hurts Me Too
02 Sad and Deep as You
03 Afro Blue > The Eleven > Afro Blue *
04 I Shall Be Released *
05 Soulshine *

* - w/ Tim Reynolds (acoustic guitar)

PS: If someone has this whole show I would love to get a copy LMK

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  7:33:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow that's it Fluffy! Thanks! I will be at the Lancaster show, good chance Mike and/or family will come up for it too!

BTW I sent you the file that Patrick sent me. Sent it twice because I thought I screwed up the first try.....sorry about that! Thanks again for the information!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  9:18:37 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
03 Afro Blue > The Eleven > Afro Blue *

Whoa! Afro Blue? As in Coltrane's Afro Blue? As in one of my favorite Coltrane songs Afro Blue??? I'm going to have to hear this!

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  9:32:17 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Jason, do you happen to have this show? If so can you open the torrent? There don't seem to be any seeder right now, when I finally get around to DL'ing the show.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  11:09:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Found this review of the show featuring TR

05/23/98
Charlottesville, VA Outback

By Stuart Lynch
East Coast Correspondent

"Where's my Mule!, Where's my MULE!" belted out Warren Haynes as his band Gov't Mule rocked out another set for the crowd in Charlottesville, Virginia, at the downtown amphitheater as the featured band of the "Big Bang" WWWV radio-sponsored festival.

It was a live free show that was seen and heard by kids up to hippie-adults, with their tie-dyed Dead shirts shimmering and dance-grooving bodies flowing. The hills surrounding the tent had kids tumbling over and over and playing, laughing. Little girls were holding hands in a circle and having a smile, as the Mule blasted through their Dose material such as "Thelonious Beck," "Thorazine Shuffle" and "Blind Man in the Dark."

Allen Woody (bass), Warren Haynes (guitar and vocals) and Matt Abts (drums) are three incredible musicians, blending style, power, heart, soul and guts into a balls-out rock show. My girlfriend Sunny remarked, "They sure know how to make people crazy!" There was never more proof then when they encored with the "Young Man Blues" medley. The energy was growing and reaching, pulling you in and making your body dance. You had to be rockin' and having a good-ole time -- what music is all about -- to take you away from your troubles, sing your blues out and make you heal up inside.

For me, it all started in Pittsburgh when I attended a show at Rosebud's on the Strip, 5/13/98. I had heard some tapes from California, knowing that Warren Haynes and Allen Woody had played in the Allman Brothers Band for 8 years. I knew what to expect -- hard southern blues rock with a twist of jazz, tight melodies, slide guitar. Since I play guitar it takes a lot to really impress me. Well, let me tell you brothers and sisters, the Mule rocks like nobody! They blew the roof off the @%$^&*! Pittsburgh always appreciates good guitar players, and they were whooping and a hollering!

Warren Haynes is as good as anyone with an ax; just really great leads, chords, melodies, and chops pouring out of his Les Paul (what else?) guitar, Soldano amp head. To me, Warren is a cross between the great Jimi Hendrix, Duane Allman and SRV, with Jeff Beck thrown in. He can really play any style, as evidenced by the extended acoustic version of "Afro Blue," the eclectic melodic jazz fusion "Thelonius Beck," the electric version of "Cortez the Killer" (where he played some Neil Young leads that sounded like a bumblebee that swallowed a birdbath), the introspective version of "Raven Black Night" with a beautiful soulful arrangement. Plus, Warren can sing. Wow, can he sing! Talk about soul-searching, hell-raising, and that perfect touch.

Allen Woody is a phenomenal bass player, sort of like Stanley Clarke meets John Entwistle. He can rip bass lines while holding the bottom down, as Warren and Matt trade licks.

Matt Abts is a frankenstein mix of Bill Bruford and John Bonham. He soloed as the gathering whistled, cheered, freaked out. I don't think he'll be a secret for very much longer, since the advertising usually lists the ABB as a reference for Warren and Allen.

People should take notice of this band because it's an important one. Now I can see why every show is taped, traded (the band is so cool to let this happen), thought about, dreamed about by the Mule fans. I feel very honored to write about the Mule. I haven't felt this way about a band in a long time. In the past if I've seen a band once, I've seen them a million times. (except for some notable exceptions -- Neil!) I could see the Mule many many more times and never get tired. They inspire me, cheer me up, and make me want to continue my own music.

The whole band has impressive control over their dynamics, bringing the moods in at just the right time. The Pittsburgh show was 2½ hours and could have gone on and on. The encore was a raging slide guitar trade off with Derek Trucks, who opened for the Mule. Afterwards, I didn't want them to board their big 3-story purple tour bus, complete with built-in groupies on each level (or so I dream).

A Second, Acoustic Mule Show
A second all-acoustic show at the Outback Lodge in Charlottesville was sold-out. We were packed in like machine sardines, mikes aloft near the soundboard like tulip bulbs. I had my small recorder on my shoulder, ready to tape. The Mule finally came on after midnight, with much hooting and a hollering. It was a relief because I had been standing in one spot since 10:30, and was feeling like a flamingo in a frathouse. Smoky, sweating bullets, crowded. It was well worth the 400 miles I drove to get here, the bleary red eyes and lucid sober state I endured. The stage was about 20 feet wide, at best. On stage there was Warren Haynes and a rack of acoustic guitars, Matt Abts in the middle with a set of congas, playing his cymbals with his bare hands, Allen Woody with bass, mandolin, starting out with an unknown instrument that had a crescent shaped box, eastern sound.
"Raven Black Night" was the first song, played so thoughtfully, emotionally and cool. Allen Woody was playing these hindu-type scale leads that were neat. I loved the chord changes and melody, a truly unique song. I keep thinking that wow, I finally care about a band. They are creating art, not just sounding off. It's a tightness the band shares and comes shining through. Songs like "I Shall Return" just echo in my own heart, giving me hope that I could come back from the obstacles I face in life. It really hits you in the home of your soul.

"I Put A Spell On You" was giving me goosebumps, how much I wanted to just join in and jam. But really, all I wanted to do was listen, soak up the moment and I wasn't worrying about life. Warren Haynes belts out the lyrics with how a man should sing. I really enjoyed "It Hurts me Too" and felt the crushing blues surround me, but yet in a healing way.

Tim Reynolds joined the band at the end, for a rousing jamming version of "Afro Blue" that went on for at least 20 minutes. What a jam, how free and flowing and spiritual it was. I feel lucky for having seen a 2½ hour acoustic show that I hope someone with a good quality recorder captured. I have my version, which at least is something to keep forever...

Rock on Mule! You got fans a-waiting!

http://www.vintagerock.com/gmule.html

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Robin
Yak Addict

USA
598 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2006 :  12:20:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a great review, I'd love to get my hands on any copies of these shows. Thanks for taking the TIMe to post this.Peace, Robin
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2006 :  6:33:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am working on getting copies of the shows TR did with Govt Mule.

This may help Erich with his TR archive of TouR dates:

I finally figured out what shows TR guested with Govt Mule. There are quite a few. Here are the ones I know for sure that he guested on Mules set. I would assume he also did an opening set for all of these nites. I still need to confirm that:

03/16/98 Fox Theater Boulder, CO
03/23/98 Crystal Ballroom Portland, OR
03/24/98 Wild Duck Eugene, OR
03/26/98 Catalyst Santa Cruz, CA
03/27/98 Fillmore San Francisco, CA
03/28/98 HOB W. Hollywood, CA
03/29/98 Belly Up San Diego, CA
03/30/98 Cajun House Phoenix, AZ
03/31/98 El Rey Theater Albuquerque, NM

Now the dates that follow are ones I would love to find out if he guested with The Mule on their set and/or opened these shows.

03/17/98 Fly Me to The Moon Saloon Telluride, CO
03/18/98 Zephyr Club Salt Lake City, UT
03/20/98 Stubbs Austin, TX
03/21/98 Fenix Seattle, WA

I think he only sat in at the show in C-ville 05/23/98, I don't think he opened that show, but I also need to find out for sure.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  11:50:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
(originally posted by Ken100200300)
quote:
does anyone have recordings of when Tim Reynolds sat in on some Warren Haynes tunes, most noteably Soulshine. I can not seem to find it and i think Tim adds so much to that song.

thanks for anyones help!

ken

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  11:52:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Ken, As I mentioned above, I am working on acquiring these shows but I have had no luck yet. The specific shows you would be interested in are as follows:

03/27/98 (Fri) The Fillmore - San Francisco, CA
03/31/98 (Tue) El Rey Theater - Albuquerque, NM
05/23/98 (Sat) The Outback Lodge (acoustic show) - Charlottesville, VA

Those are the ones I know, for sure, that TR performed Soulshine on with Mule. There may be others shows where it was performed with TR, but until I get all the setlists compiled those are the ones I know about now. Let me know if you have any luck tracking any of them down, I would love to get copies myself.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  2:53:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'll work on it as well.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  08:15:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
So I got 5/23/98, if anyone wants to trade for it or something.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000