New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

confused
Is Anybody Here?

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  3:20:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was recently listening to an independent small radio station where I live and they play mostly stuuf you don't ordinarily hear. I heard someone playing a (what sounded like) nylon string guitar, live, and I was completely blown away by what I was hearing. Since this station usually plays many songs in a row and doesn't always come on to tell you what you were hearing, i.e., artist, title, etc., I started to panic because I thought that I would never find out who this was (of course, I could have just called the station to ask but I don't know if that was an option at the time...). Anyway, I listened intently until this person was finished playing, then I heard raucous applause then I heard, faintly, someone say, "Tim Reynolds....", then the song ended and another began (from another artist). Well, ever since hearing this bit of amazement I've been very interested in finding out more about this player. I've found this website, that's a start, but it seems that the ftp site is always offline. Anyway, could anyone who knows more about this please tell me exactly what it was that I was hearing, and how can I have the privelege to hear it again? Thanks very much.

"I'm still confused...."

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  4:40:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey confused, first of all welcome aboard. Secondly a little more information could get you a lot more. Where do you live, what's the name of the station, when did you hear this? Those would be a good start.

You came to the right place. Fluffy (TIM's tour manager), Jason,(enthuTIMsiast), Erich, Ben (Arthen), Kevin Lesko, and others here do a lot of recording of TR's songs and any of them can direct you to more. Just please be patient as not everyone is on all the TIMe.

Until then you can look around the site here, there is a lot of information on TR here.

Sorry I can't help you more, but with a bit more information, I might be able to.

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  5:18:18 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Confused, WELCOME ABOARD!!!

TR has indeed taken a nylon acoustic out on the road before, most notably the Spring 2002 Chaos View Tour, but I don't seem to have any recordings from that tour. Be sure to check out the Archive though for tons of live shows you can download.

http://www.archive.org/audio/etreelisting-browse.php?collection=etree&cat=Tim%20Reynolds

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2006 :  01:07:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If it was on nylon, it was probably You Are My Sanity. Check out his live stuff on:

http://www.archive.org/
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  3:35:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Without more info not really sure what I can tell you. I would imagine you would like any of the acoustic CD's by TR if solo acoustic is what you heard and liked. Those would be:

Stream(no pedals or effects)
Gossip of the Neurons(Live at Miller's in C-ville)
Nomadic Wavelength
See Into Your Soul

For more info you can check out the discography page:

http://www.timreynolds.com/discography/

Click on the CD's for more info about each title.

Hope this helps! ENJOY
quote:
See Into Your Soul = Nomadic Wavelength: Very Similar in style and approach. Both great albums. Solo acoustic outings by TR. Although SIYS does have some noisier snippets using drum machines and eclectic noises tying together some of the acoustic tracks, but they don't really detract from the feel of the CD. They tend to have a spacey/industrial-esque feel to the pieces. If you are looking for just straight TR acoustic playing, NW is the way to go although he does use some pedals for effect on some of these tracks as well.

Stream: Tim in the studio with just a guitar, no pedals no effects, Just PURE TIM!!!

Gossip of the Neurons This a live acoustic(no overdubs) recording of Tim performing at Millers. This has alot of the spacier sounding stuff interlaced with strait up acoustic TIM. Alot of people believe he is also playing keys on this but every sound you hear is an acoustic guitar. An amazing recording. By the way, there is no audience sound, it was recorded direct to DAT I think. So it is almost impossible to tell it is a live recording.

Boy, I really need to get these descriptions together and posted to the TR discography thread so we can just direct people to that. So much to do, so little TIMe!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

confused
Is Anybody Here?

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  7:06:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all.

Thanks for the info, so far, I've just had the opportunity to check back here and I appreciate all of the feeback on my post.

This was an idependent FM station in Havertown, Pennsylvania that played this solo nylon-string, live cut, and very faintly, at the end, as the track was fading out, I heard someone say, "Tim Reynolds...", and that's all that I could get on it. The guitar playing was simply amazing and my investigations have led me to this website. I hope I'm on the right track, that it was this particular Tim Reynolds, because, as of this time, believe it or not, I've never heard the man play before or even heard of the man, until I heard this cut on the radio (Perhaps, now that I think of it, I should look into contacting this radio station on the issue). I plan on downloading some music here, to get a taste of it, to see if it compares at all to what I heard that day.

Thanks again for the help!

"I'm still confused...."
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  8:21:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey confused, small world! I live in Bucks County PA! Went to college in Bryn Mawr. Too bad you didn't hear about Tim Renyolds a few years ago, he played at the Point in Bryn Mawr in the fall of 2003. Unfortunately the Point is no longer there, the stupid zoning board in Bryn Mawr wouldn't let them expand or serve wine! They thought that would ruin the neighborhood!

He played at Grape Street Pub in Manyunk last fall. That's a really great venue to hear music at, but unfortunately they had 3 bands scheduled that night, one right after TR, so he couldn't stay around long after the show. BTW Matt Winn is playing at Grape Street on the 26th. He is a member of this board and is amazing. He has opened for TR before. If you can, definitely go and check him out!

I would be interested to know which radio station it was. Was it WSRN in Swarthmore? Just wondering.

Please keep posting. I hope you have an email link so I can email you if TR comes East again.

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  8:43:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like Rubylith, my first guess would be you heard You Are My Sanity, which is one of the most beautiful songs TR has written.

What I might suggest, go here at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000056CFD/sr=8-1/qid=1145061834/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-2395155-2884146?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Listen to the sound clip from "You Are My Sanity", and see if it matches up. It might sounds slightly different, since this is a studio, acoustic guitar (not nylon) recording, but the main part of the song will be the same. Hope this helps and glad to see you are interested in Tim, whom I consider to be one of the greatest guitarists I have ever found.

Edit: Never mind, they don't have clips of the songs on there. Dammit. Hold on, I'll try to figure something else out.

Edit again: Okay, here's a link where you can download a live version of You Are My Sanity:
http://s24.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=34IGZ3ZSBTBD23BWIC1S901W7G

Merry East Over! Hope you like it.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  4:22:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
(originally posted by confused)
quote:
Posted - 04/15/2006 : 2:39:45 PM

Does anybody know the name of a Tim solo acoustic tune (preferrably recorded live) where he plays amazingly fast for the entire song. I heard this once but I am unable to locate it.

Thanks.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  4:23:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by confused

(originally posted by confused)
quote:
Posted - 04/15/2006 : 2:39:45 PM

Does anybody know the name of a Tim solo acoustic tune (preferrably recorded live) where he plays amazingly fast for the entire song. I heard this once but I am unable to locate it.

Thanks.

(Bakun214 answered)
quote:
Posted - 04/15/2006 : 2:41:41 PM

Stream

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  4:25:10 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Confused, that could be a lot of things. Try a song named "Kundulini Bonfire" It is actually on the site, if you go to the tabs on the main page and hit flash intro, it should be playing in the background.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  4:30:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Kev wrote:
quote:
Confused, that could be a lot of things. Try a song named "Kundulini Bonfire" It is actually on the site, if you go to the tabs on the main page and hit flash intro, it should be playing in the background.

Hey Kev, I think the song on the flash intro is "BIG BLAST OF HOT AIR". LOL don't you remember when that was the #1 asked question for newbies. LOL Used to drive us crazy, so crazy I had Jon list the song at the end. How could you forget this. Just wanted to clear it up before things got "confused".

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  6:29:06 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
D'OH!!!

I'm suspending myself from the TR task force for 24 hours as punishment... I mixed up one fast song with another... I'M SO STUPID... STUPID STUPID!!!! (bangs head against wall)

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  7:04:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KevinLesko

D'OH!!!

I'm suspending myself from the TR task force for 24 hours as punishment... I mixed up one fast song with another... I'M SO STUPID... STUPID STUPID!!!! (bangs head against wall)

Good thing that suspension will end before the upcoming shows! Hey, here's a thought: Acoustic "Skeleton Walls"!? I'll cross my fingers.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

confused
Is Anybody Here?

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  9:47:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi PJK! (and everyone).

I live in Haverford, PA, right down the road from Bryn Mawr. I've been to 'The Point' a few times, for the open mic Tuesdays-I am sorry I didn't hear of Tim earlier.

That radio station, I think, was WHHS, 99.9, in Haverford Township, the website says it's a High school station but the do play some pretty good music, it's where (I believe) I heard Tim for the first TIMe. I emailed them about this question-they've yet to reply. I'll listen to "Stream" and see if that's the tune I heard. I've always been a VH head and when I heard this guitar player playing this amazing, um, stuff, I was blown away and had to find out who it was and possibly hear it again, it was that incredible.

"I'm still confused...."
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  10:45:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey confused, you may want to ask one of our board members JemezFoodPeople(Matt Winn). I am pretty sure he and his high school approached TR's booking agent at the TIMe about doing a show. I think he is from that area so maybe it is the same school. Just and idea. Good luck discovering the song. I do think if you listen to TR's acoustic CD's you will be impressed with any of them as much as you were the song you heard.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  11:12:24 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
this may be my classical guitar bias, but i think tim reynolds should use more nylon. songs like you are my sanity and rheginos are perfect for that. of course, tim reynolds can whatever the hell he likes and it'll probably be awesome.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  10:12:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Can you humm a few bars and post the audio file?

teri
Twittering about the DC adventure since Dec '09...
(Micro)Blog * Photo Album
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000