Show Reviews
 07/06/07 Canal Room NYC, NY
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  1:30:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok I am posting this here too, someone please add something about TR's performance, as I was running around like a nut so I didn't catch the entire show. What I did see though was pretty f-in' great. I love his Friday performances. He really rips the crowd a new one of they are into it, i've seen this a few times, and it takes a few days to recover. Again, it was an honor to open for Tim.

Canal Room is an awesome place they treated me personally very well. Dyaln from Loose Change (loosechange911.com) and Luke and Sabrina from We Are Change (www.wearechange.org) came out.

I think the place was sold out, but if it wasn't it was damn near it. The place was packed and the crowd was really receptive of my stuff. Everyone was going nuts, it was really cool. I played a little rushed because I lost my watch so I can never tell what time it is when I am playing and I hate whipping out a cell phone to look at what time it is. I am a pretty good judge when playing, so I did rush through a few things but I had a blast and sweat off 100 lbs I don't have.

Anyway Rew, Fluffy and Tim are the best. People love Tim it is so great to see. I wonder what Tim thought of the crowd if he thought they were loud or not. Sometimes that can be a pain in the ass with the type of music, but either way if they were loud it was because they were cheering the hell out of him. I think it is amazing seeing all these cool people from all walks coming together for Tims music. He has one hell of a gift and he is so respected by everyone. It is so funny knowing how much he has inspired me over the years with his music, listening to it countless times, now I am opening for him! Like WTF. I have worked my ass off for years playing music in every possible shitty environment, breaking down, waking up in strange places, making tons of new friends, it is an honor to play on the stage as him, a true honor.

Anyway, thanks again Fluffy! See you real soon!

P.S. HRW took care of all my crap for me after the show and I forgot the audio cd, which Fluffy reminded me about twice, and my box of merch. I am an idiot.

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  4:57:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Dave, Laura's got some great pics from the show.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  6:26:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well we arrived back at the Canal Room after a longer drive across NYC than the drive from Hartford to NYC. LOL I kid you not, when we arrived in NYC we had almost 45 minutes until soundcheck, plenty of TIMe to get to the venue I thought. DOAH!! Well we arrived 45 minutes late, yep, that's what I said, 45 minutes late given us a travel TIMe of 1 1/2 hours to get from FDR Drive to Canal & W. Broadway by the Holland Tunnel. Bad area to be driving in during rush hour with everyone heading for the Holland tunnel. I should say driving as most of that TIMe we were just sitting. SomeTIMes the light would change 2 and 3 TIMes and we wouldn't even move, maybe one car length if we were extremely lucky and it seemed every way I tried to get us around it only got us more stuck. Without going into great detail of the ins and outs of driving in NYC suffice it to say loads of one way streets that make it almost impossible to get where you are going and then add in rush hour traffic to a tunnel and be prepared to be at a standstill. Gridlock in full effect in NYC. At one point we were 1 1/2 blocks from the club(I could see it) but there was no way to get to it from where we were because of one way streets and no u-turns allowed and from this point it still took us another 20 minutes to get around the block to the load in door. If you haven't been there, you will never understand. LOL

Luckily we are familiar with the venue and the soundman, Sean is very familiar with us so we did the late load-in, quick soundcheck and the boyz got prepared for a quick dinner as it was an early show for us.

We headed out with Jared and Dave in search of something quick to get us thru the show as I knew we could eat after the gig back at the hotel. Jared & Dave didn't like our choice so they headed back to the venue to get ready for Dave's set. We got back with a few minutes to kill before Dave started.

After much socializing I ventured in to watch Dave's set. He was wearing is question 9-11 shirt which only added to his aggressive, in-your-face performance. It was a great performance but I told Dave that I thought his song choice didn't flow as smoothly as previous shows I had seen. He concurred and said that because of the short set he felt a bit rushed. Still a stellar performance which was recorded as well as TR's set.

After a quick set change, TR took the stage to packed room of attentive listeners. We had almost 400 people which I think is our best turnout for a NYC club date. TR played a scorching set set to relatively quiet room for a NYC bar on a Friday nite. Ironically, this larger crowd was quieter than some of the smaller crowds we have had in the past. Still even with the little chatter it was another great nite on this already fantastic run of shows. TR's setlist looked a bit like this:

Photosythesis
Betrayal
Che
This Is The One
Jemez
We Are From Outer Space
Indoctrinate
Malpractice Suite
--------------------------
Sinceritox
Ancestors
Coco
Strom
Rev
----------------------------
Ectoplasm.....To The Next
Wayflarer
Smells So Sweet
Going Out to Lunch
-----------------------------
Do It
Death Squad
Doom
Ocean
-------------------------------
Hold On

As for the accuracy of the setlist, once again the tale of the tape will tell the changes to the setlist that TR may or may not have done.

There was a quick pack as we had to get out of the way for the 70's funk/hip hop dance party that was to follow, the reason for our early show. After settlement I returned to the dressing room to find a free-for-all party going on so I chose to go pack the van and wait for the boyz to finish up. Sadly I missed saying goodbye to everyone for that reason so THANX to Erich for handling the merch for me. I really thought we were gonna see you at Jared's. What happened? Hope all is well and make sure to hit me up when you have a new phone number. Thanx also to the NYCTRTF who were in full effect for the show and made it another memorable nite of music, fun and friendship. Special thanx to Sean for making us feel welcome and taking such good care of us as always. It's always nice to know what you are in for when you show up for a gig and at the Canal Room I know it will run smoothly and efficiently. Kudos!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  6:29:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
AHAHA, I'd like to thank myself for covering merch for Erich for most of that nite and selling mad CD's. Must be my pretty face.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  6:35:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well then thank YOU as well. I was not aware that you covered it for Erich who was covering it for me. LOL We did have a great nite of merch there so your pretty face must have helped. LOL

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Lifesallright
Is Anybody Here?

2 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2007 :  1:08:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I reallie enjoyed both dave, who i was very impressed by loved the sound and being a fellow musician respect greatly, and tim was obv amazing as always. One question did u mean Streme insted of Strom and what did he cut into during that song?
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2007 :  3:15:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Strom is Stream, Tim tends to play in his song titles in his setlists.

Go to Top of Page

Lifesallright
Is Anybody Here?

2 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2007 :  3:40:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ohh i did not kno that thanks heh
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2007 :  3:56:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
e.g. Big Blast of Hot Air = Big Blast of Hot Ass

Go to Top of Page

chris_jones
Is Anybody Here?

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  11:47:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had the privilege of capturing Tim's set at the Canal Room and can distribute if anyone is interested. I didn't escape work in time to bring multitrack rig to the show, so I simply tracked matrix outs from soundboard. Have 16-bit and 24-bit / 96 kHz versions available if anyone is interested.

I'd like to get copies of this year's Canal Room set and last year's (multitrack DPA 4022 and SBD) to the community and to Fluffy and the rest of the TR camp. Can anyone provide FTP space or seed some of these shows?

Thanks.

Chris
jones.chris@gmail.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000