Tim and Leo Kottke
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2004 :  08:27:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I recently picked up a Leo Kottke Instumental Disc at Barnes and Noble to preview it on their stupid system, and I checked out a track called "The Fisherman" and in the 15 seconds or whatever I heard, it reminded me a bit of "The Wayfarer" (probably my fave Tim song). I never read that Tim was into Kottke, but I assume he is, as Kottke really rips the old 12'er. I just thought the resemblance in title and content was quite a coincidence if Tim wasn't a Kottke fan.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2004 :  8:33:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never heard anyone mention a direct link. If you want more info on Leo Kottke do a search for topics in the Friends Aboard the Space Pod section, he's been discussed many times, and there are many ardent fans of his on the board.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2004 :  01:50:15 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Where is EnthusTIMiast??? He would for sure be able to shed some light on this as he is a huge LEO fan.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2004 :  04:47:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jay is too.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2004 :  11:09:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd say any similarities (between the two songs) you hear are complete coincidental. I don't hear any real similarities myself.
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2004 :  11:22:45 AM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Aside from obvious talent and the typically acoustic nature, I haven't really noticed any alarming similarities. Granted, I've only recently been turned on to Kottke, but I'd say they're pretty distinct.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2004 :  08:15:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I just meant the one track, is all. I have 6 and 12 String Guitar by Kottke, and it's not like Tim's style at all.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2004 :  11:11:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kottke sure does rock though... He does things with his fingers, timing wise, that I have no idea how anyone other than a robot could do... He claims to be a frustrated banjo player, but with his timing and picking abilities you would think it would come a little more naturally than most people who go from guitar to banjo.
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  6:59:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You've gotta see the man live...or at least get his newest live album to really hear him take off...He does a lot of improvising now, too which is always cool. http://www.scn.rain.com/alweb/leo.htm Here's some really early stuff, its pretty good.

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2004 :  3:53:42 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KevinLesko

Where is EnthusTIMiast??? He would for sure be able to shed some light on this as he is a huge LEO fan.

Yep, I'm a huge fan but I suck at playing the guitar so most of the nuances would probably pass me by.. But if the question is have Leo and TIM ever played together or are directly influenced by each other, I'd give a hearty "no, I doubt it." However, it's obvious that Leo keeps his ear to the music scene (as evidenced by his playing with Cactus among others), so he's probably heard TIM. But Leo was Leo before TIM, so I doubt Leo gets much influence from TIM.

But is TIM a Leo fan? My guess (and that's all it'd be) is "of course!" I'm sure Fluffy can and will at some point shed some light on the subject. :)

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000