TRelated Topics
 Help request for dmbalmanac.com
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

afcchamp88
Is Anybody Here?

2 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  12:17:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit afcchamp88's Homepage  Send afcchamp88 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This is Rob from dmbalmanac.com

It seems one thing that has really been lacking on setlist sites is a commitment to making sure that all songs played by Tim get equal attention at D&T shows. I can remember for years that no matter what song was played, "Tim Solo" was listed. When we started the site, making sure that we got names for all the Tim solo songs were named.

I was going through updating song histories for the site. It seems that for the Tim songs, the only thing we have is "played by at xx.xx.xx" if even that. I was hoping to get some short blurbs about any TR song that has been played at these shows. Whether it's a bit song history from TR shows, debut dates, album, story about the song or meaning, we'd like to give the songs the respect they deserve and have earned. Even if you've heard the versions of the songs at these shows and have an interpolation, or clip of a song (it seems he likes to weave in and out of tunes which we have no idea about) and can add info. I figured this is the best place to get any of that.

We currently don't have a contributors page, but I'd be happy to post a news item giving a shout out to the board and even individuals that can help on the front page of the site. Posting here is fine, submitting to the almanac is fine also.

Here is the songs page, songs played Tim solo are near the bottom on the right side.

http://www.dmbalmanac.com/Songs.aspx

Thanks.

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  2:19:13 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to help you out, is it actually naming the songs that you need help with? If you send me songs, I'd be more than happy to help you with their names, or any other info you might need.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  01:27:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This is your best place to get the answers. Like Kevin said, post them up, and we'll figure them out.

Not communicating can hurt more than any word that can be said -

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

afcchamp88
Is Anybody Here?

2 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  12:33:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit afcchamp88's Homepage  Send afcchamp88 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
like I said, we mostly have the songs identified. What we need are short blurbs of trivia bits about the songs.
Go to Top of Page

dancheatham
Chatterbox

USA
180 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  7:37:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit dancheatham's Homepage  Send dancheatham an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Please look at the "name that song" thread (http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7262) and try to figure out what the Come Together posted toward the end segues into. We're about 95% on song identification, and that one would help out a lot.

What Rob is asking for is a short write-up ABOUT the individual songs. For example, for the DMB song "The Best of What's Around" we have a brief paragraph about it (http://www.dmbalmanac.com/SongStats.aspx?sid=4). For most of Tim's songs, though, we have something like "Tim played this song on 1.29.99" or "This song was released on Tim's album Nomadic Wavelength." We'd love for some of y'all to give us a bit of background on the song, such as the fact that Tim has often dedicated Betrayal to John Kerry. Stuff like that.

Daniel Cheatham
dmbalmanac.com
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  8:55:36 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, I'll have to think about that for a while. Off the top of my head, here are a few stories about some songs that I either remember from interviews, or from Tim mentioning before playing a song. I assume you are only interested in stories about songs that have been played at D+T shows. So:

Antichrist Superstar: A Marilyn Manson cover. Dave was once quoted as saying that during the 1998 DMB tour, Tim would be rocking out to Mariyn Manson in the back of the tour bus, and that got Dave to listen to the album too.

Chatterbox: I think this is a song simply about one of his children who learned to walk and talk and was just full-speed ahead.

Jemez Rolling Waves: Ispired from a range of rolling mountains/nature near Tim's old home in New Mexico.

Los Alamos is Burning: Witnessing Wildfires burn near his home in New Mexico.

Mercy Street & Red Rain: Peter Gabriel covers. Tim has often mentioned Peter Gabriel as being one of his favorite musicians, and biggest inspirations.

Stranger in a Strained Land: Inspired by the science-fiction novel "Stranger in a Strange Land" by Robert A. Heinlein

Indoctrinate: Lyrics were inspired from a Noam Chomsky lecture that Tim attended.

Stream: I seem to remember that Tim said the song just came to him one day while in the kitchen.

Tree of Life: This song would later become "Is Anybody Here?"

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  02:18:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
For To Touch Yearning, Dave once stated that it was his favorite song Tim ever did.

edit: and it's my favorite too

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  4:14:04 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Turn It Into Love: Last year in L.A. Tim said that this was a song "all about being mad at your dad, but then getting over it".

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  10:50:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
There is also a clip of Tim dedicating Betrayal to John Kerry a little while ago.

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  11:02:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim wrote "You Are My Sanity" sitting on top of a mountain, and it used to be called "Mountain View" if I remember correctly.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  3:43:31 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Che: Obviously the song title is a reference to Che Guevera, but we also learned that the way the song is played on the fret board was inspired by Bela Fleck.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000