Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 TRelated Topics
 TR3 '88 studio recording mp3's

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
3head Posted - 09/13/2007 : 1:39:21 PM
I converted the 1988 tr3 cassette release to mp3's. This is the out-of-print studio release with Roman Alert, Speakers, Mind Over Matter, Dreaming, etc. The MP3's are FAIR to GOOD quality. No where near perfect, but enjoyable.
I have not shared them with anyone, and I don't know who currently owns the rights to the recordings (Tim?).

I'd like to share them, but I've been a loyal fan for years, and won't without permission.

If Tim or anyone from "The establishment" with authorization reads this and can tell me I can share them, (or specifically tell me not to) please email me with some contact info.

Until I get some kind of "Official" permission, I'll just keep them for myself.
24   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 09/28/2007 : 08:58:07 AM
Luckily my parents just live in the next town and I don't go over there often. Unfortunately my mom fucks up her computer regularly and I either have to bring the tower to my house or bring over cleaning software on CDs to fix it because I'll be there all day downloading otherwise.
tericee Posted - 09/27/2007 : 4:37:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by GuitarGuy305

I want to throw my parents computer out a window when I have to use it because they still have dial-up.

I visit my parents no more than two weeks a year, but that's enough to make it worth my while to pay for their DSL. It also makes it easier for them to see my photos and blog and stuff, but mainly I want good Internet when I visit.
KevinLesko Posted - 09/26/2007 : 12:55:04 AM
Isn't that version of On the Edge so cool? It's got a little reggae feel to it. I love that there are 3 versions of that (TR3, Sanctuary, and Puke Matrix) and all 3 versions are very different.
Ranting Thespian Posted - 09/26/2007 : 12:47:15 AM
I still live with my folks, and the internet companies that can get me dsl here, that my dad would let, don't offer it to our area. My dad would also kill himself before buying anything from a cable company. So, for the moment, I'm screwed.
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 09/25/2007 : 6:03:26 PM
quote:
Originally posted by tericee

quote:
Originally posted by Ranting Thespian

could you possibly do 2 zip files? Half the songs in one, and the half in another, it will be a lot easier to download it overnight on my 56k.

Wow, how do you do that? I think I would die if I still had a 56K connection to the Internet.

My thoughts exactly. I need my cable connection for bit torrent among other things. I want to throw my parents computer out a window when I have to use it because they still have dial-up.
tericee Posted - 09/25/2007 : 3:13:47 PM
quote:

could you possibly do 2 zip files? Half the songs in one, and the half in another, it will be a lot easier to download it overnight on my 56k.

Wow, how do you do that? I think I would die if I still had a 56K connection to the Internet.
Ranting Thespian Posted - 09/19/2007 : 12:28:33 AM
I didn't realize that some of these songs were originally done by TR3. I mean, I always loved Dreaming, and the version of From This World, it has an essence of Run Like Hell with it's sound.
chris Posted - 09/18/2007 : 7:00:10 PM
i love it
the instruments sound like super nintendo music
SpaceMonkey Posted - 09/18/2007 : 12:31:16 PM
Excellent..thanks gentlemen.
Ranting Thespian Posted - 09/16/2007 : 02:09:48 AM
YAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY, downloading tonight!
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 09/14/2007 : 11:02:49 PM
This took less TIMe than I thought it would. Here you go Nick, and anyone else that wants a couple smaller downloads to make the full album. Sendspace's download speeds SUCK! I think I actually uploaded these faster than I was able to download the full ZIP.

Tracks 1-5:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ziu7ux

Tracks 6-10:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/1vwaii

Many thanks again to 3head for making this available!
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 09/14/2007 : 10:23:43 PM
quote:

In an effort to share the music, I'll up these as 2 separate ZIPs for you Nick. Give me until tomorrow mid-day and they should be up.
3head Posted - 09/14/2007 : 6:10:55 PM
quote:
Originally posted by gnome44

Holy SHIT this is amazing!!!

Glad you are enjoying them. Not to detract from all that has evolved in the last 20 years, but what was really amazing was seeing Tim live during those years - $5 bucks a show, beer, a good buzz (often caught with Tim during set breaks), occasional psychedelics, hanging with his then squeeze Dianne during the shows, and barely a care in the world (if only I had realized that at the time!).

Literally seered into my existence as some of the best times of my life, and for that I will always remain thankful and a loyal fan.
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 09/14/2007 : 6:02:41 PM
quote:
Originally posted by 3head

60Mb's zipped. Here's the link at sendspace.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/0myp0h
Enjoy!

Hey, thanks so much for doing this! I'm downloading now and super excited. Can't wait to hear these.
Ranting Thespian Posted - 09/14/2007 : 02:13:10 AM
gnome44 Posted - 09/13/2007 : 8:31:27 PM
Holy SHIT this is amazing!!!
gnome44 Posted - 09/13/2007 : 8:27:45 PM
Thank you SO much!!
3head Posted - 09/13/2007 : 7:32:53 PM
60Mb's zipped. Here's the link at sendspace.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/0myp0h
Enjoy!
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 09/13/2007 : 6:37:53 PM
There are sites like www.sendspace.com where you can upload files (not sure of the max size) and then people can download them for a limited time/number of downloads.

Usually if you have a complete album it's best to ZIP the files using WinZip and upload the one ZIP file to a site like SendSpace.

That's just one method. Someone else might have other ideas.
3head Posted - 09/13/2007 : 6:34:15 PM
Ok, I don't do much of this, so what would be the best way to share them. I don't like sharing stuff on Limewire, because I don't have the bandwidth (or patience).

Does somebody have some ftp space I could upload them to?

I could set up a space but I can't do it right now. (working)

I first saw Tim in Harrisonburg in the mid 80's and was immediately mesmerized. This is the stuff he was playing then, along with Hendrix covers, Santana, and others. Mostly his own stuff though.

I don't know if he used a volume pedal in the studio for songs like Uncover the Reason, but live he would just use his little finger for all the swells. It was amazing. He used to use a whammy bar like no one I'd ever seen or have seen since. Instead of an effect, it would become seemlessly integrated into melodies and executed so flawlessly that sometimes it didn't sound like a guitar at all.

Warren sings Speakers (and others) on this tape. But I've heard Tim sing it many times. For a while he had a Warren stand in who didn't sing.

Some other great memories are of when he was performing the Shifting Currents sets and Charlie Kilpatrick was with him.

I actually took lessons from him briefly in C'ville until it became abundantly clear that I SUCKED. He gave me the tape after one of his lessons. I passed it around, and it ended up who knows where, so the tape I just converted is actually from a dub of the tape he gave me that I recovered from someone I had passed it to.

Some friends of mine and I booked him at S. Main Cafe in Blacksburg where we had an in. He blew the place away. I followed him around Virginia until Dave Matthews made it big and took him away. One of my friends bought his Gibson that he wrote Shifting Currents on. He went on to go to school in Jacksonville and became a great player himself.

Anyway. That was life back in the day.

Let me know if you have a place for me to put these. Otherwise, be patient and I'll post in a day or to where you can get them.

Fluffy Posted - 09/13/2007 : 4:23:35 PM
posted by Fluffy someTIMe ago in a now deleted thread:
quote:
So here is the deal with the TR3 cassette. That was the only format it was issued in. Many years ago I found TR's copy of the cassette and I burned a copy to CD that I tracked myself. I can dig it out as I unpack from my move. Better still, Greg Howard, who recorded and mixed it, has remastered it and is supposed to be sending me a CD copy of the remastered version. He sent one to TR and wanted to wait until he heard from TR about how he liked it before he send me a copy. Hopefully I will receive it soon and I will pass it along to the board for trading. I get back from TouR mid-May.
Good news!! I just received the remastered copy from Greg about a week before we left on this run of TouR dates. It sounds awesome by the way. The track listing:

01 - From This World
02 - Roman Alert
03 - Dreaming
04 - Uncover the Reason
05 - Spirits Journey
06 - Speakers
07 - Higher Plane
08 - Much More Than Old Fiends
09 - Mind Over Matter
10 - On the Edge

This was orginally released in a cassette only format in 1988. As I am sure you have already noticed by now there are almost 20 year old versions of From This World, Dreaming and Uncover the Reason. All I can say is WOW WOW WOW. I remember listening to this cassette when I found it in TR's collection the first year I worked for him. I transferred it to CD for myself and tucked it away never to hear it again until now. I liked it alot when I first heard it and even picked out Speakers as my FAVE track. It's very funky as is my other FAVE track Mind Over Matter. Ironically, both of these tracks are not sung by TR. That has nothing to do with me liking them more, it's actually their funkyness that really hooked me. A number of the songs have reggae guitar parts over more of a jazz/rock sound which shouldn't surprise us since TR on numerous occasions has talked about how much Bob Marley inspired him in those early days of his rockin' TR3 project. Dreaming, if you can imagine it, sounds like a Police song with TR singing. Some folks might call the sound of this CD dated and to a certain degree it, when I listen to it, I can definitely tell it's from the 80's but I don't think that's a bad thing. I have plenty of CDs of bands from the 80s that I still listen too and enjoy although most might want to say, "That's soooo DATED!" Another interesting thing is listening to the similarities and differences to the current versions. I was amazed how similar they are in structure, but the sound of them is so different. Even TR's voice sounds different to me. Still sounds like TR and I would recognize it at TR but his voice sounds somehow different. Maybe it's the chorus and effects on his voice that folks were so found of in the 80's. I am not sure how to explain it, but it sounds different yet recognizably TR. The whole CD is great and has a great blend of jazz/rock/reggae which should not surprise anyone who knows anything about TR. I remember another thread talking about old TR and TR3 music and seem to recall Soko chiming in about the TR3 tape and saying Speakers was his fave song as well. I absolutely LOVE that song. Not sure TR would ever do it again since he didn't sing it on the original, but who knows, stanger things have happened. I remember talking to TR about the TR3 tape when I came across it 7 years ago and you couldn't have convinced me, after talking to TR, that he would be revisiting some of those tracks 6 years later. It's a strange world this music world.

Here is a link to the thread where we talked about who was in TR3 and who appeared on the cassette with TR for those who want more details. It is also the thread where Soko mentions loving Speakers and he also listed the singer much to my curiosity. It was fellow named Warren Richardson. Here is the link for the complete lineup:

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1478

THIS POST IS FROM ANOTHER THREAD WHERE TR3 self-titled was heavily discussed along with Cosmology and other old TR projects from his C-ville daze. If you would like to have a look:

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5885
gnome44 Posted - 09/13/2007 : 4:04:49 PM
YAY!
Fluffy Posted - 09/13/2007 : 4:02:23 PM
Yes, by all means feel free to share them. There has been talk about releasing it at some point in the future on CD. With TR actively working on releasing 2 new releases of new music even if it does happen it prolly won't be soon. Also, when and if it does happen it will be a completely remastered version from the original masters done by Greg Howard, the original engineer of the project. Hope everyone enjoys these. Marcus Eaton was absolutely blown away when he heard them. ENJOY!!

PS: Really appreciate you asking before just doing it. THANX for that! You are a gentlemen and a scholar!
gnome44 Posted - 09/13/2007 : 2:44:33 PM

As Tim is very liberal with recording/sharing music (there are two released CD's that you can download from this website for free) I would assume that there would be absolutely no problem sharing these.

Fluffy, please respond immediately. I'm not going to be able to sleep until I hear these!!

ACT NOW!!

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000