Layne Staley 4/20...........R.I.P
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2002 :  12:13:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well everyone, I was a huge Mad Season and Alice in Chains fan, the reason I was such a big fan of both was Layne Staley. I am sad to see him go and feel that Alice in Chains will never be Alice in Chains without him. It is a sad waste from a musical standpoint but I think deep down in my heart of hearts I knew he would not be around long for one reason or another. I am glad he was around long enuf to make the music he made. My heart goes out to his friends and family, alot of his friends are people I have worked with in the past. I was lucky enuf to meet him on a number of occasions and consider myself the better for it. R.I.P Layne Staley There is a great band performing somewhere tonight with a new lead singer, one of the best. The influence you had with Alice in Chains on other bands is still being seen today. You will live on thru their music and yours! PEACE

Alice in Chains' Layne Staley was found dead in his Seattle home on Friday evening.

The King County Medical Examiner positively identified Staley's body on Saturday (April 20), following an autopsy. Exact time and cause of death are pending, as laboratory results could take several weeks, a spokesperson said. Staley was 34.

Police responded to a call to check on a person's well-being at Staley's address in Seattle's University District at 5:41 p.m. PT on Friday, according to the police report. Upon discovering the body, which is presumed to have been there for several days, officers called investigators from the medical examiner's office, who arrived on the scene at approximately 7:30-8:00 p.m., a spokesperson said. The body couldn't immediately be identified as that of Staley, whose longtime battle with drug dependency was a central component of his band's music — a dark and bombastic sound that continues to influence artists some 15 years after the group first formed.

http://www.aliceinchains.com/

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2002 :  12:20:28 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Singer Layne Staley found dead at 34 in Seattle home

SEATTLE (AP) _ Layne Staley, lead singer and guitarist for the grunge band Alice in Chains, was found dead in his apartment, authorities said. He was 34.

Tests were required to establish the identity because the body, discovered Friday, had started to decompose. The King County Medical Examiner's office did not release his cause of death.

"It was natural or an overdose _ that's the way it was determined by our investigators,'' said Seattle Police spokesman Duane Fish.

Police did not immediately release details on anything that was found at the scene, and a spokesman did not respond to several messages.

With Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden, Alice in Chains was one of the most prominent bands of the Seattle grunge scene of the early '90s. The group was known for its dark, menacing sound, which combined grunge and heavy metal, and often wrote about heroin.

"He was a sweet guy, but very troubled,'' said Charles Cross, a former editor of the defunct Seattle music magazine The Rocket who recently wrote a biography of Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain. "He lost his girlfriend to drugs a number of years ago. People still had hopes he would turn around. It's a sad tale.''

While Alice in Chains didn't garner as much respect as other Seattle grunge groups, the band's influence still reverberates, Cross said. "Critically, they'll never rate in the same pantheon as Nirvana, but they were a band that inspired hundreds, if not thousands, of other bands,'' Cross said. He pointed to Creed and Godsmack, a band that shares its name with an Alice in Chains song.

"They had huge commercial aspirations from the beginning. They fulfilled that, and so much of that was Layne's voice,'' Cross said.

His voice ranged from a low, growly monotone to a pained, piercing wail; many a bar-band singer frayed vocal cords in the early 1990s trying to imitate it. Staley also played some guitar for the group.

Alice in Chains stopped touring in the mid-'90s, when Staley's drug use proved too great an obstacle. He began a number of stints in rehab.

In a 1996 interview with Rolling Stone magazine, Staley spoke of how his drug use influenced his lyrics.

"I wrote about drugs, and I didn't think I was being unsafe or careless by writing about them,'' he told the magazine. "Here's how my thinking pattern went: When I tried drugs, they were (expletive) great, and they worked for me for years, and now they're turning against me _ and now I'm walking through hell, and this sucks.''

The group's first album, "Facelift,'' was released in 1990. It later released "Dirt'' and "Alice in Chains.'' The group's hits included "Man in the Box,'' "Them Bones,'' "Rooster,'' and "Would?'' The latter song was partly inspired by the 1990 heroin overdose death of Andrew Wood, singer of the seminal grunge group Mother Love Bone.

Staley's body was found just over 8 years after Cobain was found dead in his Seattle home of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Heroin was found in Cobain's bloodstream, and his head had been so mutilated that he could not be immediately identified.

In the 1996 interview, Staley reflected on Cobain's death: "I saw all the suffering that Kurt Cobain went through. I didn't know him real well, but I just saw this real vibrant person turn into a real shy, timid, withdrawn person who could hardly get a 'hello' out. ... At the end of the day or at the end of the party, when everyone goes home, you're stuck with yourself.''- AP

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2002 :  12:29:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
For those of you not already familiar with Mad Season, now would be a good time to check them out.

Mad Season
Layne Staley - Vocals
Mike McCready - Guitar
Martin Barrett - Drums
"Baker" - Bass

Its Sunday, October 16, 1994. A new band - or so it seems - takes the stage at Seattles Crocodile Cafe. The audience waits expectantly, curious about what kind of music these newcomers (so new they dont even have a name yet) will provide. But, a closer look at the musicians on stage reveals that these guys arent newcomers at all. The band features members from some of the biggest groups in rock today: Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, the Screaming Trees. But the music doesnt sound like any of those groups; the guys on-stage have a clear and distinctive musical identity, one drawn equally from the realms of rock and the back-rooms of the blues.

Meet Mad Season. A sound that began as jam session among friends a half-year ago has evolved into a startling new album, ABOVE. The group began when Pearl Jam's guitarist Mike McCready set up some informal jam sessions for himself and two friends: Screaming Trees drummer Barrett Martin, and Baker, a bassist McCready had met in Minneapolis, who has played with such blues talents as Little Pat Rushing, Hubert Sumlin, Sammy Fender, and the Lamont Cranston Band. Two of the songs on the record ('Wake Up' and 'River of Deceit') were written instantly when we first sat down and played," says Baker. We knew that a really good spark was happening. It was obvious that we had something good going. McCready then gave Layne Staley, Alice In Chains' lead singer, a call and asked him to join in the fun. Staley arrived, with guitar in hand and a head-full of lyric ideas, and the new band's musical mix got even hotter.

The next logical step was to play in front of an audience. McCready again took the lead, arranging for an unannounced show at the Crocodile Cafe. The fact that the band didnt have even one complete song prepared (...only jams and beginnings of songs, Martin admits) did not prove to be a hindrance; in fact, one number, Artificial Red, which the band would later record, actually came together during the show itself, evolving out of a jam. Two more gigs followed at the Crocodile, with the band billing themselves as the Gacy Bunch (paying simultaneous homage to John Wayne Gacy, the "Killer Clown" of Chicago, and a beloved sitcom from the 1970's).

By this time, the guys realized their new group was destined to be more than an occasional gathering of friends at a local club. We could tell that we had some pretty god songs, says Martin. Recording just seemed logical, really. The band also decided that a name change was in order, and so, the Gacy Bunch became Mad Season, an English term for the time of the year when psilocybin mushrooms are in full bloom. A quick ten day recording session at Seattles Bad Animals studio (co-owned by Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart) resulted in the eleven songs on ABOVE, co-produced by the band and Pearl Jam sound engineer Brett Eliason.

Mad Seasons music is a powerful blend of blues and heavy rock, a potent combination of Staleys lyrics and the bands musical creations. Although theyre Laynes words they speak for all of us, says Baker. The lyrics are very autobiographical. Theyre about changes in the attitude about whats important and whats not. Wake Up kicks off the album on a dreamy note, ushering the listener into a sad, sometimes desolate, world, balanced by songs like River of Deceit," a slow, thoughtful number that offers the hope of salvation. (River was chosen as ABOVEs first single because, as Martin says, the essence of the band is there.") Blues influences are apparent on numbers like Artificial Red; the spontaneity of the sessions is captured in November Hotels," an instrumental, based on one of the band's jams, that begins as a deceptively low key piece, before building to a whirling storm. Screaming Trees lead singer, Mark Lanegan, makes a guest appearance on two tracks, Im Above and Long Gone Day (co-writing lyrics on the latter number). Layne and I had been saying that those two particular songs would lend themselves very nicely to Marks voice, explains Martin. Mark came in and they went into the studio and we left them alone. They did some amazing things together. ABOVE stretches all of the musicians in new directions very different from their usual styles. As Layne Staley puts it, "This is a nice band. It's loose, but there's a lot of thought put into it, too. And room to put in pure feeling and emotion."

After giving their Seattle audience a preview of their sound, Mad Season let the rest of the world listen in, via an appearance on Pearl Jams Self-Pollution Radio worldwide broadcast on January 8, 1995, performing Lifeless Dead and I Dont Know Anything." The band follows up that musical hors d'oueuvre with the release of ABOVE on March 14. (A limited edition vinyl version of the record released a week earlier featured two-disks packaged in a gatefold sleeve, with music on three sides of the album, and an etching on the fourth side.) A short tour is also planned in support of the album.

And what else lies in Mad Seasons future? Another album, the band members hope, and more good times, either on stage or in more casual settings. As corny as it sounds, we are friends and we like playing together, says Martin. Its fun getting together in the basement and just noodling around.

MAD SEASON consisted of members from Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, and Screaming Trees, you can check out a couple of songs online at this link:

http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/MadSeason/MadSeason_More.html

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Jason
Chatterbox

194 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2002 :  3:07:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was upset when I heard the news as well.....Not suprised, but shocked only because he (staley) has said repeatdly that he used heroin to help him write songs...you had to know it was only a matter of time...doesn't make it any easier to deal with though. I played every Mad Season/ acoustic AIC songs that I knew how to play last night....Big talent missing from the music world!

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2002 :  9:30:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i saw that in the paper today, that was the first really good rock band i heard growing up was alice in chains, with that great minor melody singing, and droning guitar parts, that were so pure feeling. R.I.P. Layne...

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2002 :  06:44:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am right there with ya on this one VWF, his music meant alot to me as well. I have some amazing memories of seeing them live as well. He was always a very emotive singer. Much like Eddie Vedder. Both Poets! Like Jim Morrison, another we lost to soon.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2002 :  12:07:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, he was like the grunge rock version of jim morrison. That's a perfect comparison there!

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2002 :  07:06:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Any word on the cause of death yet? They weren't saying when they initially announced it. Although I have my suspicions. Usually when they don't even give a suspected cause of death it is because they are trying to avoid saying it's drugs. Given days to get used to the idea of him being dead, the press is less likely to splash headlines about OD. The news trickles out a little more subtly. I will be surprised if it isn't drug related.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Micheal
Try A Little Harder

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2002 :  12:38:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Micheal's Homepage  Send Micheal an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am one of those singers/musicians that this guy has touched in many ways. I found out Sunday and was not surprised or saddened either. This broken record "funeral pyres of the white powder" is starting to get old. We seem to be loosing the ones with soo much potential, sooo much soul, soo much power to communicate from the source. Lets remember The Doors, Joy Division, Nirvana, Blind Melon, Sublime, to name a few and you may as well include STP too.

I feel for his family, friends and fans and give thanks to those who help him get heard. LONG LIVE Z-ROCK! What's wrong with our world that these brilliant stars can find no place to shine except in front of an audience. Layne Staley..RIP.. "We all shine on"! JL

"It's better to burn out than to fade away". NY.. How would he know?

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2002 :  3:31:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If you can't find peace in your world without altering your mind then you're in trouble. It really is a shame that we lose so many people this way.
-J

Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2002 :  8:44:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mad Season really is one of my favorite groups. It's was strange... I didn't really listen to them for a long time and then I started watching my video tapes and listening to the cd and my shows just days before he died. I admit it was because of Mike McCready that I initially got into them, after all he was the reason I started playing guitar about 7 years ago, but I was deeply touched by Layne's words and singing. It really is a shame. Heroin, and cocaine for that matter, are two things I'll never understand. I've seen a little bit first-hand what it can do to people. You can surf the net and see where people have posted things like, "don't feel sorry, he's just another junkie." Words like those make me sick. He wasn't just another junkie, he was a talent, and probably a deeply troubled soul. It's sad to think that life got that bad for him. Not a religious person, but if by chance there is a heaven, their band has a new singer. RIP Layne

Peace,
Patrick

http://members.tripod.com/one4tim/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2002 :  9:00:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I bet those people would not be saying "Who cares, he is just another junkie!" if it was someone in their family. Drug addiction is a serious thing and a big cry for help. To bad more people don't understand. I feel sorry for junkies! It is sad that they are so unhappy with life that they resort to drugs. We must remember it is there choice, albiet a bad one, but regardless of the circumstances Layne will be missed, not because he was a junkie but because of his talent and contribution to the world of music and my happiness.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

powdrdogdmb
Chatterbox

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2002 :  6:05:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit powdrdogdmb's Homepage  Send powdrdogdmb an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Man, I loved AIC, and I was even hoping for a tour after that unbelievable Unplugged album came out. Has anyone heard the official autopsy results...C.O.D. confirmed/known yet? R.I.P. Layne Staley
-Moment of Silence-
WBB

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger" Nietzche
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2002 :  08:08:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Did anyone ever hear the autopsy results? If they annouced them, I missed it.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2002 :  7:42:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
TTT for Sourgirl

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

TRincubsfan
Is Anybody Here?

18 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2002 :  11:35:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey fluffy im not sure if anyone has answered this yet but he died of an acute overdose of a speedball or a mixture of heroin and cocaine, it was classified as accidental

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2002 :  07:26:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I had not heard that, thanx for the info. I am not surprised they have kept it so quiet and I can't say I am that surprised. It is unfortunate but drugs are a personal choice and you make your bed you have to lie in it. Unfortunately, you sometimes have to lie in it dead and cause lots of pain and suffering to friends and loved ones. It certainly is a shame, he was such a talent. What a waste!! Peace to his family and friends.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

SourGirl
Try A Little Harder

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2002 :  2:36:06 PM  Show Profile  Send SourGirl an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've been an AIC/Mad Season fan for as long as I can remember. My brother got me lisening to AIC when I was like 8 or 9 and I've never stopped. And Fluffy you said you knew he was gonna die sooner or later, you know I never thought that, I always thought he would clean up and AIC would get back together. Boy was I wrong. But I am really glad that so many people like me has had the chance to have their lives touched by one of he best musicians I've ever heard. He had so much influence on so many of the bands we hear now, its just amazing. I loved him, I mean his music, the way he sang, it was with so much emotion. I can listen to any song he sings and cry.They were one of those bands that I could listen to and relate to, it was like I knew exactly what they were meaning. And I never got burned out on them, I don't think they ever did a bad song either. Just writing this gets me all tore up. I'm awful when it comes to him. But yeah anyways I love ya' Layne R.I.P

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2002 :  10:05:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Glad he had such a positive impact on you. It is wonderful when an artist can connect on that level with a fan. It is great that you feel so connected to the music and the words. That is truly the beautiful thing about music, when things like that happen. Sorry if this post dredged up depressing feeling for you. Try putting on a AIC or Mad Season CD and remember the good things. PEACE

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000