"He Paints the Soul"

Set List:
I

Opening Jam
Offspring
Intuition like a Child
Century Sister
Indoctrinate
Cover Song (included lyrics: “...sweetheart...” and “All go by...”)
Tim’s Pledge
Feeling Doors
High in the West
Metamorphosis
Danger/Doom
Mountain Ejection

II

Opening Jam
Loose Interpretations
Do You Believe?
Dreaming
Turn it into Love
“What you thinking?”
Old TR3 song
Kundalini Bonfire (then talked about Kundalini Yoga and the Wrath of Khan)
All You Need is Love

Encore One: Virtual Band Experience
(Complete with Rew on air-bass and Fluffy on air drums)
“Truth will see you through”
Hornet’s Nest
Crisis (Helmet Cover)

Encore Two: Acoustic
“Need each other” (soft, tender song)

Encore Three: GOAT!
Congo Jam (different songs, Fluffy will have to clarify)

7:30pm, my buddy Eric (he’s a lurker) and I leave my place to head over to the venue. We already had tickets and the doors opened at 8:00pm. We get seats in the third row, and patiently sit, as I bounce in my seat. The show stars at 9:00pm, but Tim comes out a few minutes earlier. Someone shouted out “Timmy!”, to which Tim replied that he was changing his name to “Goat”, so that he wouldn’t be confused with the character from South Park.

Starts playing with one of his regular kind of delayed jams, really great way to open up the show, then bam goes into Offspring. Awesome solid version. After that he plays Intuition like a Child. I was in a state of shock. Second song of the night was a song that I’d only heard of him playing live once before (a week and a half ago actually), I knew that it was going to be a superb concert. Century Sister was next and I was so happy. CS is one of my favorite songs, it has such a great jazzy and mellow feel to it, and Tim was on the whole time. Indoctrinate was up next, and it was great to hear it acoustic, the crowd really appreciated this one. The next was a really soft and sweet love song and it was so great. I figured it was one of the Cardigans songs, maybe “Junk of the Hearts”? Then came the Pledge and it was awesome, he dedicated it to George Fuckhead, but said that he wouldn’t give a last name. He proceeded to finish screaming it the second time through his slide into the microphone. Feeling Doors was next, one of my favorite songs off of Nomadic Wavelength, and it was by far the greatest version I have ever heard. High in the West was awesome to, it never ceases to amaze me how quick and accurate Tim is on the twelve string, this goes especially for Metamorphosis. Danger/Doom was awesome, it was great to hear how much Doom has grown in the past three years. Then as he was leaving he picked out Go Tell it On the Mountain, which Eric saw was written on the setlist as Mountain Ejection (or maybe Erection?).

Fifteen minute break, then he came back on for the second set. Another great opening Jam, then he dropped his guitar to C and blasted out with a solid and amazing version of Loose Interpretations. Then came another Cardigans song, Do You Believe, which was also very good. Tim sang it beautifully. Dreaming was next and it was great to watch how he plays it and where he makes the different chords on the neck. Turn it into Love followed which brought the count of songs off of Stream to four. Then he played a song that I hadn’t heard before with the lyric “What you thinking?” being repeated again in the chorus. After that came another jam, which Fluffy told me was an old TR3 song. Kundalini Bonfire came next and was awesome, very well received by the audience. Afterwards Tim proceeded to talk about Kundalini Yoga and the film the Wrath of Khan. Then to end the second set he played All You Need is Love and it is definitely a crowd pleaser, the entire audience was singing along.

The first Encore, Tim came back and quickly explained the idea of the “Virtual Band Experience”, where everyone in the audience was going to pick an air-instrument of choice and they could rock out in their own chair. Fluffy and Rew came out, and joined him on air-drums and air-bass. By the end of the third song Fluffy’s hair was down and was all over the place. I got a few pictures of that, that I’ll try to scan and post. They played a song that Tim said was going to be on the new album, but I’m not sure what it’s called, it included the lyrics “Truth will see you through” and “seals are broken”. It was fantastic. Next was Hornet’s Nest which was awesome to see live. And to end the encore “Crisis” the Helmet cover. It was awesome. Tim said that he couldn’t scream it, so he was going to do it in a dry British accent. So, Tim leaves the stage, and the audience rises to its feet.

Tim comes back out and I was shocked, I haven’t heard of too many double encores. He then proceeded to play another sweet song with the lyric “We need each other” in it. I’m assuming it’s a cover, but I have no idea where from. He finished it and left the stage. Rew came out to start putting stuff away when the audience again rose to its feet.

Everyone started chanting “GOAT!,” and what should happen, but Tim came out for a third encore. I couldn’t believe it. He turned on this awesome conga type beat on the drum machine, and started jamming over it with some really cool chords and then started singing a song that included the lyric: “There is no judgment”. Afterwards Fluffy told me that it was really two different songs, one of which was another older song, again, Fluffy will have to clarify for us.

The audience was really awesome. Very respectful and attentive, and also very responsive clapping when it was appropriate, like between songs and during louder parts of songs where Tim started rocking out. One guy shouted out for Ohio, which Tim quickly turned into a joke by saying: “Santa Fe”. More good news, the show was being taped by three different people. One by Rew, one by some guy with a mic, and another by Steve the promoter who had a hook up at the soundboard. Fluffy told me that Steve was going to mail him a copy of the show, and if he doesn’t I’ll get his number and hound him until someone gets a copy.

The show was one of the greatest experiences of my life, and was the greatest musical experience of my life. Getting to hang out by the van and talk with Fluffy was great, getting to meet Tim was fantastic also having him sign my concert poster was really great, getting to meet Rew and finding out he isn’t as intimidating as he looks. So, thank you Fluffy, Tim, and Rew for coming up to Chico and putting on one damn fine hell of a concert. I hope the east coast shows go just as well as the west coast ones.

And finally, one last thing, the quote of the night:
"My first acid trip I got photosynthesis." - Tim

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  06:44:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arthen

blah blah blah blah...

the show was being taped by three different people

... blah blah blah blah

just busting your balls man, that sounds fucking unbelievable. Im so there on the east coast that i might as well leave now.

By the way, "the one truth" = Tribulation. Classic Tim, dates back to the 80s at least :) Great shit.

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  08:18:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Arthens setlist revised(fill in the blanks)by Fluffy

Set List:
I

Opening Jam(Illusory Dream of Being)
Offspring
Intuition like a Child
Century Sister
Indoctrinate
Cover Song (Primitive)
Tim’s Pledge
Feeling Doors
High in the West
Metamorphosis
Danger/Doom
Mountain Ejection(Maintain Ejection OR Erection, depends on which setlist you read, ruff or on-stage)

II

Opening Jam (Sonic Bugs Unite)
Loose Interpretations
Do You Believe?
Dreaming
Turn it into Love
“What you thinking?”(Don't Know What)
Old TR3 song (Do You Wanna)
Kundalini Bonfire (then talked about Kundalini Yoga and the Wrath of Khan)
All You Need is Love
(Strange Particles)

Encore One: Virtual Band Experience
(Complete with Rew on air-bass and Fluffy on air drums)
“Truth will see you through”(TRibulation)
Hornet’s Nest
Crisis (Helmet Cover)CRISIS KING

Encore Two: Acoustic
“Need each other” (soft, tender song)

Encore Three: GOAT!
Congo Jam (different songs, Fluffy will have to clarify)

TR has rechristened himself yet again. His new "nom de plume", Goat Reytolds(pronounced Goat Rentals)although we may see Puke again in the not too distant future.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  08:56:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Arthen wrote
quote:
The next was a really soft and sweet love song and it was so great. I figured it was one of the Cardigans songs, maybe “Junk of the Hearts”?
PRIMITIVE by Annie Lennox
quote:
Then as he was leaving he picked out Go Tell it On the Mountain, which Eric saw was written on the setlist as Mountain Ejection (or maybe Erection?).
I think it's the same music but actually TR is playing the "Jesus Loves The Little Children" version. It was played in the middle of the improvised song "Maintain Ejection" which actually appeared on the ruff setlist as Maintain Erection and for whatever reason, only known to TR it changed to Maintain Ejection of the stage copy of the setlist.
quote:
Then he played a song that I hadn’t heard before with the lyric “What you thinking?” being repeated again in the chorus. After that came another jam, which Fluffy told me was an old TR3 song.
"Don't Know What" was the first song which segued into what TR told me was an old TR3 riff "Do You Wanna" which I think he said originally had lyrics. This was an instrumental version.
quote:
They played a song that Tim said was going to be on the new album, but I’m not sure what it’s called, it included the lyrics “Truth will see you through” and “seals are broken”. It was fantastic.
"Tribulation" an old TR3 period song with a reggae twist. Hommage to BMW.
quote:
And to end the encore “Crisis” the Helmet cover. It was awesome.
"Crisis King" by Helmet from the Aftertaste CD.
quote:
He then proceeded to play another sweet song with the lyric “We need each other” in it. I’m assuming it’s a cover, but I have no idea where from.
I will have to ask TR about this one my memory is a little fuzzy on the particulars of this track.
quote:
He turned on this awesome conga type beat on the drum machine, and started jamming over it with some really cool chords and then started singing a song that included the lyric: “There is no judgment”. Afterwards Fluffy told me that it was really two different songs, one of which was another older song, again, Fluffy will have to clarify for us.
Again, I quizzed TR on this right after the show and have already forgotten the particulars of the answer. I will ask him in the morning and post when I get the answers.

Great review Arthen, it was great hanging out and hope we can do it again soon. Good luck with the job, glad they let you have the nite off. Hope to see you again soon!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  09:03:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arthen, awesome review! I can't wait for the east coast shows!

Erich, I'll see you in NJ. What about Wilkes Barre????

Fluffy......go to bed! LOL, I can imagine you are still on that musical high!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  09:12:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Can't go to sleep now, gotta take TR to the airport in Sacramento at 9:30 AM. No sleep for the wicked, thats life on the road!! Whoohoo!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  09:17:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HAHAHAHAHA you are too much! And you aren't a coffee drinker are you? Honestly don't know how you do it, oh wait, thats right, you are "Spiderman" and you can do things the rest of us can't.....that explains it!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Macht
Chatterbox

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  11:32:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Macht an AOL message  Reply with Quote
is anyone here as jelaous of arthen as I am?

Authorities here are alert
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  11:40:26 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Man. Hearing about these shows makes me wish Tim would come back to the Midwest!!

Adam
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  12:55:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Posted - 08/22/2004 : 11:32:45 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
is anyone here as jelaous of arthen as I am?

Yep, me!

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  4:04:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like to think of it like this. For every year of waiting, I got an encore at the show!

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Is Anybody Here?

17 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  5:55:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fluffy
"Don't Know What" was the first song which segued into what TR told me was an old TR3 riff "Do You Wanna" which I think he said originally had lyrics. This was an instrumental version.

Would "Do You Wanna" be the same song that is on the really old TR3 show(from '90) with DM on back up vocals?
Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  5:58:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen

Would "Do You Wanna" be the same song that is on the really old TR3 show(from '90) with DM on back up vocals?

do you wanna thrill me? if thats the case then thats fucking cool.

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  6:42:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like one hell of a show and I'm hoping it does get out to the community to hear. Badass setlist and it sounds like Tim was having a lot of fun because he played 3 encores. I would have loved to see Fluffy on the air drums. Thanks for the review.

BTW I still don't get photosynthesis. I always get lost in the ATP or ADP or whatever the hell it is.

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  7:02:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If in a few weeks Fluffy doesn't get a copy of the show from the promoter, I'm gonna be on him like white on rice trying to get a copy.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Robin
Yak Addict

USA
598 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  8:37:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! What an awsome review, now I'm plotting and scheming as to how I can make it to the East coast for some shows....Peace, Robin
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  9:56:32 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
ARTHEN, YOU DID IT!!! What a great review, thanks sooo much. You made me feel like I was there. You have to post those pics of the crew playing air-instruments. I wish I could have seen that, it sounds hilarious.

Fluffy said:
quote:
although we may see Puke again in the not too distant future.

WHAT??? This would be the greatest thing ever as the 2 PUKE years created my favorite Tim work ever. VIVE the return of PUKE!!!!!

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  11:44:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, the pics didn't turn out! However, the one with my buddy and I and Tim and Rew did.

I was wondering what the possibility would be of another TR3 tour. That would be so fantastic. It gives me shivers!

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2004 :  02:37:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
do you wanna thrill me? if thats the case then thats fucking cool.

Very likely, as TR described it to me it wasn't really the song, more just him jamming on the riff from the song he referred to as "Do You Wanna". He said it was an old TR3 riff he liked alot. That was all he shared. I would assume it is the song to which you guys refer as he said it had lyrics, at least I think he said that LOL.

quote:
He then proceeded to play another sweet song with the lyric “We need each other” in it. I’m assuming it’s a cover, but I have no idea where from.

Babylon by Aphrodite's Child

quote:
He turned on this awesome conga type beat on the drum machine, and started jamming over it with some really cool chords and then started singing a song that included the lyric: “There is no judgment”. Afterwards Fluffy told me that it was really two different songs, one of which was another older song, again, Fluffy will have to clarify for us.

First was(if I understand TR correctly)an instrumental version of a TR3 period song called There Will Be Another Day. I have heard TR play this on at least one other occasion and was blown away by it both TIMes. It really grooves!! I told TR everyTIMe I hear it I just feel like dancing. It led into a song called There Is No Judgement and TR tells me this is a song from his Gossip period.

That should about cover the entire show. Hopefully we will recieve the copies of the show very soon for everyone to enjoy!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2004 :  03:30:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After listening to "Do You Wanna Thrill Me", parts of it sound familiar to the song Tim played. If only it would've had the lyrics! That would've been a first in a few years.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2004 :  9:20:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pictures:

Tim and Me

Tim, Rew, Me and my buddy Eric

Thanks again for everything Fluffy!

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Macht
Chatterbox

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2004 :  9:58:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Macht an AOL message  Reply with Quote
lol tim has the same face in both pictures. it amazes me that he can have such great/hilarious faces

Authorities here are alert
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000