Why do I go to the other boards? LOL
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2004 :  4:18:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I know why, I have to post info about TR's TouRs, but I should just post and go away. I really shouldn't look around. When I do I find gems like this:

quote:
Tim is fast, whoopdee fucking doo, Warren rips him a new asshole, Warren is up there with Trey and Clapton, Tim has no feeling, hes just a fast machine, Warren is so much more fun to listen to

Oh they so don't know TR. LOL Luckily the next post on that thread jumped to TR's defense, and quite well I might add. I can't be bothered to take up those fights. Fighting over musical preferences is like arguing over whether the waters to hot or cold. LOL It's a preference! But to put down one because you like the other more is just ignorance. It's a preference. Anyway, nuff said, I just had to get if off my chest. Thanx for letting me vent.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2004 :  5:12:59 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Fluffy, what board was that on?

I've found many DMB fans do not appreciate Tim. I think he adds worlds of color to DMB's catalog of songs, that can get rather boring on their own.

You are correct in saying they have no idea what they're talking about. Tim is definitely not just a fast machine. I mean, most of his solo stuff is not laden with fast figures/solos.

It's ironic that they say Tim has no feeling, because that's how I feel about "shredders" like Vai and Malmsteen, but Tim's music is all about feeling.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2004 :  5:29:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That is exactly what I was thinking, I just didn't take the TIMe to type it out. TR is so the antithesis of what they think of him. Even more ironically is the fact that most of them complain about the "fast" stuff, yet at a TR show that seems to be the only TIMe the audience gets really excited. How IRONIC!! Isn't it ironic, doncha know! On tour we laugh about it because for TR the fast stuff is the easiest to play. It takes the least amount of precision. Then when he turns around and plays something really complex it just goes over their heads. LOL We equate it to gorillas. You know how when one gorilla starts beating his chest and getting excited, the other gorillas follow suit. We like to call that stuff "monkey noise" lol. TR beats his guitar really fast and the audience gets excited. It is quite funny to watch, especially when you see happen TIMe and TIMe again at show after show. Anyway, I saw that brilliant quote on amIdreaming.org in thread called "Tim fucking Reynolds"

Thanx for understanding, I think the misconception is that most DMB fans only know Stream so they think that is what TR is about mostly, and as we all know, IT MOST CERTAINLY ISN'T!! He has so many different facets and that is just one of them and in the grand scheme of things only a tiny part of his ability and talent. Anyway, opinions and preferences are like assholes, everyone has one. Who am I to say Warren Haynes isn't a better guitar player. I will say, "I prefer TR's style to Warren's", it's more appealing to me, more positive of a comment. See, now isn't that more pleasant than bashing Warren! There is already so much negativity in the world, do we have to compound it with arguments about something as beautiful as music. I think not. But that's just my opinion, I COULD BE WRONG LOL

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2004 :  5:31:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A damn large majority of people who make statements like that, never take the time to listen to Tim's solo work. Tim's songs are feelings. Like "Smile", I've said it before, but every single time I listen to that song, I do just that, I smile. And you can feel the longing/sadness during "To Touch Yearning".

If someone chooses to act like that though, oh well. It just makes them sound all the more close-minded.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2004 :  6:40:45 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've lent a couple people at work Stream and Nomadic Wavelength, and they both came back raving about Tim and how they burned copies of it for them and a few of their friends...

Those people were both older than I, one 32 and the other in his early 40's I think. I'm 22, but most people that first meet me think I'm like 26-30, not because of my looks, but because of how I act/speak.

Basically what I'm getting at here is that I think Tim's music is "smart music", enjoyed by older and/or more mature people than the stereotypical DMB fan. Thus, it doesn't bother me when an ignorant comment like that is made, because it makes me feel better knowing that my tastes transcend the norm, and that I am actually into an artist like Tim, that doesn't appeal to every Dick.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2004 :  7:06:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
First let me commend you on your wonderful taste in music and how eloquently you stated your point. That brings me exactly to why I must gripe a little bit more. LOL

Anyway, the reason it bothers ME is not because they don't get TR, or they don't know TR well enuf to make a comment like that, it has more to do with they way they make the comments. Like I am right and you are wrong. Like they don't even realize in their own heads that "this is just my opinion". I don't fault anyone for thinking that "Warren Haynes rips TR a new asshole". That may be their opinion based on the music they prefer and that is legitimate. In that mans mind Warren obviously does rip TR a new asshole, but that doesn't make it TRUE, a statement of indesputable fact. It is just that mans opinion and it is valid and I respect it. He shows no respect for an opposite opinion. It's the way they say it as if it's THE TRUTH and there can be no other opinion about it. It's just disheartening. Sorry to go on about it, but it really is a pet peeve. Just seems the world has become so ME ME ME and people have lost the ability to communicate in a civil manner to one another. It used to be as we grew up we learned communication skills with other PEOPLE because we were forced to deal with them on a regular basis, but in this hi-tech world people are growing up in now, communication with actual people is at a minimum and thus folks have lost or never learned how to communicate with one another civily. Hiding behind computer screennames, ATMs, you swipe a card almost everywhere you go and never actually deal with other humans. Even the grocery store, self check out, WHAT THE FUCK!! When I was growing up we knew our butcher, our baker(didn't know our candlestick maker, but that's a whole nother story), someone pumped your gas and said "Hello and Thanx, have a nice day!" Things have changed and peoples communication skillz are lacking. I am rambling again, but you know how I get when you touch a nerve about 1 of my pet peeves. LOL

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2004 :  9:28:43 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
the problem is that most people who listen to tim reynold's music are themselves musicians, and i'd be willing to bet that most dave matthews band fans are not musicians. that said, you have to expect "tim reynolds just playz rly fast he's not that good LOL!!!111one!1" because not only is that person not familiar with tim reynold's other work, but even if they were, they wouldn't know how remarkable any of it is because they don't know thing one about playing an instrument. not liking it, what totally baffling, isn't something you can really yell at them for. passing judgement on something they know shit about is another. i think i might join that board just to bash skull. i hope i don't get called a noob.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Macht
Chatterbox

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2004 :  9:55:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Macht an AOL message  Reply with Quote
alright you ahve to realize, when people say that, they've only heard l@lc and 70% of their feelings comes from stream and (prepares for attack) that song is one of his weakers ones and outsiders don't get it

tim reynolds is just... god

Authorities here are alert
Go to Top of Page

Robin
Yak Addict

USA
598 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2004 :  3:25:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Fluffy that a lot of people have little or no skills in the way they communicate due to dealing with people online not face to face. And there are those, who like the example posted,that speak their opinion (possibly a reflection of the large SUV they wish they owned, in the way that puts anyone who disagrees on the immediate defense. I personally think Tim makes music that is comprable to some of the worlds finest art. He's the real deal, and was really humble when I told him so. A true artist.I'm moved by all the complexities in his music and I still have a ways to go in discovering all that he's done so far. And there's my two cents Peace, Robin
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2004 :  5:23:55 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Macht

alright you ahve to realize, when people say that, they've only heard l@lc and 70% of their feelings comes from stream and (prepares for attack) that song is one of his weakers ones and outsiders don't get it

tim reynolds is just... god

I would agree about Stream. Great song, but Tim has so many that are better and more full of feeling from Tim, and feeling induced by the music to the listener.

The L@LC album is a reason why you have two things at some Tim shows:

1. Idiots yelling "Timmah!"

2. People yelling for Stream AND CHATTERBOX the whole fucking time, even after he's played it/them, because half of them are too drunk/stoned to know that he already played them, or they just didn't plain recognize those songs when they were played.

Personally, at the show I went to, I'm more intersted to hear my favorite songs, none/most of which have never been played at a D&T show.

Another thing, coming from your point, apart from L@LC, all they know of Tim is Live In Chicago, Red Rocks, etc...where Tim is knows for shredding it up on solos on Two Step, Jimi Thing, etc...

So unfortunately, they base their decision on Tim as a guitarist and Tim as a musician in general on this very very narrow view of him that they have been so lucky to have, they're just to ignorant to realize it.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  02:13:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Stream. Great song, but Tim has so many that are better and more full of feeling from Tim, and feeling induced by the music to the listener.

I have heard TR speak almost those exact words. It's not that he HATES Stream, it's that it was written a long TIMe ago and he has so many more songs that are much closer and near and dear to his heart and soul. I think it would be hard to dredge up emotion for a song you wrote so long ago and I can't understand why someone wants to see TR perform a song where the emotion is just not there for him. He pulls it out of his ass sometimes and thats because, obviously, the mood or the feeling has struck him. I would much rather see an artist perform from his heart, what he wants to play, than go thru the motions on a song he just isn't feeling. Woops, I am rambling again, I'll stop. SORRY LOL

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  02:43:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who hasn't written a song that they've grown far apart from? My buddy and I have got a truck load.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  03:05:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
LOL, I haven't!! Oh yeah, but I don't write songs hehe.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  2:19:20 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i haven't.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  2:44:37 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fluffy

quote:
Stream. Great song, but Tim has so many that are better and more full of feeling from Tim, and feeling induced by the music to the listener.

I have heard TR speak almost those exact words. It's not that he HATES Stream, it's that it was written a long TIMe ago and he has so many more songs that are much closer and near and dear to his heart and soul. I think it would be hard to dredge up emotion for a song you wrote so long ago and I can't understand why someone wants to see TR perform a song where the emotion is just not there for him. He pulls it out of his ass sometimes and thats because, obviously, the mood or the feeling has struck him. I would much rather see an artist perform from his heart, what he wants to play, than go thru the motions on a song he just isn't feeling. Woops, I am rambling again, I'll stop. SORRY LOL

And again, what sucks is that most DMB fans only know Tim from Live at Luther College, and only know Stream. Thus, they chalk him up to being nothing more than a lifeless shredder like Yngwie Malmsteen.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  2:51:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
God I hate Yngwie.

"I am a viking..."

Awful.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  3:00:40 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fluffy

I know why, I have to post info about TR's TouRs, but I should just post and go away. I really shouldn't look around. When I do I find gems like this:

quote:
Tim is fast, whoopdee fucking doo, Warren rips him a new asshole, Warren is up there with Trey and Clapton, Tim has no feeling, hes just a fast machine, Warren is so much more fun to listen to

Oh they so don't know TR. LOL Luckily the next post on that thread jumped to TR's defense, and quite well I might add. I can't be bothered to take up those fights. Fighting over musical preferences is like arguing over whether the waters to hot or cold. LOL It's a preference! But to put down one because you like the other more is just ignorance. It's a preference. Anyway, nuff said, I just had to get if off my chest. Thanx for letting me vent.

What's really funny about that original quote, is that the person you were quoting has probably only ever heard Stream from L@LC from Tim, and Warren's work on the DMB Central Park album, and that is what they're basing this stupid comment on.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

JemezFoodPeople
Chatterbox

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2004 :  12:35:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit JemezFoodPeople's Homepage  Send JemezFoodPeople an AOL message  Reply with Quote
something along the lines of "those people have no knowledge of what it takes to play the instrument" came up earlier in the thread.

I think that the *most* beautiful aspect of Tim's music is that beyond us guitar-freaks who gawk at the mere thought of being able to move our hands that fluidly, there are people who enjoy the music who have never touched a guitar before in their lives.

When listening to Tim, it matters not whether you are a musician. Tim writes direction from his soul to yours.

"Do you have the patience to wait
till your mud settles and the water is clear?
Can you remain unmoving
till the right action arises by itself?"
-Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

www.mattwinn.com
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2004 :  12:08:04 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
All these people need to do is read up on Tim's interviews and they will discover sooo much more about a guy who they think "just plays fast" have them read this little snippit of Tim's new interview:

quote:
In fact, Reynolds' rambling musical background has prepared him for a life all over the map, stylistically. After focusing mainly on electric guitar for many years, he found himself "immersed in ethnic music" in the late '80s and early '90s, playing sitar and violin, which he says "drew me back into the wholeness of acoustic guitar. When it's a solo instrument, you have to be more aware of the architecture of the music."

Although his acoustic work puts him squarely into the realm of celebrated acoustic players like Leo Kottke and Michael Hedges, Reynolds points to other influences. Back in Charlottesville, he remembers hearing Pierre Bensusan, Duck Baker, Tuck Andress and especially the late, great Joe Pass, who mastered the art of solo jazz guitar. Pass was Reynolds' "first idol in that solo performance world. With him, it's all about the flow. He knows all the technical stuff, but that's not where he's coming from."

But Reynolds' own music resists easy categorization, as much rock and folk as jazz and world music-influenced in nature. He has a grand view of that diverse approach, spilling over into his extra-musical idealism. "Artists are showing us the way to break down the walls of prejudice. Music is the best example of how people can love something so much, but not kill each other over it. Most people who like different kinds of music will stop short of fighting over it. It should be a good lesson in all things."

MACHINE MY ASS!!!

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2004 :  12:13:15 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Tim Reynolds said:
quote:
"I like hearing guys who can play a lot of licks, but the real musicians are the ones who create a space where you are taken somewhere. It has nothing to do with playing a lick. It's just emotive. It's like the old-school Indian music, music that just draws you in."

I think this is pretty fitting too: Tim's music definately takes me places. I can really lose myself in his music, especially the spacy stuff. I ofen get so relaxed while listening to TR that it can put me to sleep no matter how stressed I may be about anything else. Listening to TR takes me to my "happy place".

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2004 :  2:20:47 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
very true. however, to attack a guitarist on a technical level, i.e "is a speed only player", you should have some knowledge of said instrument, lest you end up saying something absurd. listening to a musician and enjoying it doesn't require anything in the way of knowing how to play an instrument. but if you want to say something negative like that about how a musician plays you need to a) be familiar with much of his work and b) have some idea of how to play an instrument. other wise you're just wasting everyone's time by talking about something you don't know anything about.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2004 :  2:23:03 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dan p.
just wasting everyone's time by talking about something you don't know anything about.

The DMB forums in a nutshell.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

guitarted
Chatterbox

Canada
487 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2004 :  8:51:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Internet - House of a thousand morons

funny quote : (I don't know if who said it is right but:)
quote:

There was the old idea that if you had 1,000 monkeys and 1,000 typewriters, then they would eventually write the complete works of Shakespeare. The internet proves that this is not true.

-- Kurt Vonnegut in an interview on NPR

Tim, come to Canada!
Go to Top of Page

Macht
Chatterbox

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2004 :  9:49:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Macht an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GuitarGuy305

quote:
Originally posted by dan p.
just wasting everyone's time by talking about something you don't know anything about.

The DMB forums in a nutshell.

Adam

Adam and I are trying to keep everyone in there spots over there defending Tim

Authorities here are alert
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  1:59:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
And someTIMes when I go to the other boards I feel like we have actually gotten thru in our own small way. TR Task Force strikes again!

I found these posts in past threads I have followed on other boards and was happy to see so many positive reviews of TR shows showing up on DMBoards. There is hope for the world:

http://nancies.org/boards/showthread.php?s=5752748048af3854ea0a751e9d500c75&threadid=1678273365

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000