09/22/06 Temple Theatre Des Moines, IA
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2006 :  11:08:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Today we drove from St Louis to Des Moines, the longest drive on the day of a show on this run. While we were in Bloomington we took some TIMe and stopped at a nice little CD shop near the venue. TR bought a few blues CD's and bought Capt Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica, one of my fave albums of all TIMe. It is produced by Frank Zappa and it is one of the most out there albums you will ever hear. In only a couple of days it has impacted TR quite positively. We spent most of the drive from St Louis to Des Moines listening to the Capt Beefheart CD. What a brilliant piece of art. Music made on his own terms. No bullshit. No record company enforcing it's will upon him. Even Zappa left Capt Beefheart to do exactly what he wanted giving us an amazing album probably still unequalled to this day. Enuf about Beefheart for now.

We arrived in Des Moines on schedule and got TR to soundcheck. I missed soundcheck as I ran to check us all into the hotel that they had arranged. A very nice hotel called The Hotel Fort Des Moines. They got TR the presidential suite for the evening and this is where we ended up having one of the best meals of the TouR, in the dining room of TR's suite. This place was enormous, bigger than most folks houses. TR felt a bit uncomfortable and the next morning told me he even got lost in the suite at one point. During dinner we had an interview about what it's like being on the road. He had a photographer with him who was busily snapping pictures and we were quick to point out that this was not our usual accomodations or dinner. LOL It was definitely the exception to the rule. LOL Rew and I chimed in quite a bit and it seemed like it ended up being an interview with all three of us instead of the interview with TR that the interviewer had probably originally anticipated. The folks who put on the show took amazing care of us this nite. Fantastic dinner and accomodations.

Marcus had to leave dinner early so he could make it back to the venue for his set time and I hear he delivered amazing set that included a reggae tinged version of Happy Birthday to yours truly. I am so sad I missed it and unfortunately it was not recorded. We returned just in TIMe for TR to prepare for his set and he took the stage and had an amazing set that included an improptu Capt Beefheart-esque rant/poem/song that was inspired by TR finding the leg of a cricket. SWEET!! He also did a version of Happy Birthday for your humble narrator that involved audience participation. Quite an honor. TR's setlist looked something like this:

Free Floating Memory Hole
Betrayal
Hug
The Truth
Che
Vast Horizon
Indoctrinate
Wistful Bug Pusher Leak
-------------------------------
Vantage
Axiom
Revolution OR Hands Full
Doom
Ancestors
Sinceritox
Hold On
-------------------------------
Exotic Wong Wrong Doings
Dreaming OR Dissolution
Kundalini - Hot Meal Scream
---------------------------------
Stream
War Must End
Ocean
--------------------------------
Cold Sweat Pants Noise

The Rheg

The room was absolute beautiful and probably some of the best lighting and nicest looking stage we have had. I was able to snap a few pics at soundcheck which should give you a pretty good idea of how it looked. It was stadium style seating so every one could see and this kept the audience very quiet making for an intimate evening.

I had never drawn the parallels between TR's bizarre song titles and Capt Beefhearts bizarre ranting and song titles, but after spending the day revisiting that album so in-depth it definitely seems as though TR and Capt Beefheart are of like-minds. Totally OUT of their minds. LOL

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2006 :  6:23:58 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This was a great show. I love the new song, which I'm assuming is Revolution, which has a line about "a new border security plan" or something. I thought the sound in the theatre was fantastic.

So I'm assuming that no one taped this one? If not, that is a shame.
Go to Top of Page

jsemon2
Yak Addict

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2006 :  7:21:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit jsemon2's Homepage  Send jsemon2 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i got the audio of this from fluffy on saturday. i'll post it up on archive in order of what i have to upload to archive.

OUT FOR LUNCH
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2006 :  9:51:02 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That is great to hear! No hurry at all, I'm just glad that it was recorded.
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2006 :  4:58:52 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I found this online while looking for pictures from last night's D+T show:

http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061008/ENT04/610080308/1046/ENT

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000