10/13/06 Skippers Smokehouse Tampa, FL
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2006 :  10:57:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
So we arrived in Tampa and pulled up to the venue and TR got quite excited as he realized he had been here before doing a date with Dennis Kucinich. Very UNIQUE place, probably one of the most unique we have played. At first I was a bit wary but quickly fell in love with the vibe of the place mostly due to the folks involved and the audience. Not really sure how to describe the place other than as a decrepit old crab shack, BUT it had alot of charm. It was semi-indoor but mostly outdoor including the dressing room. You really have to see it to get what I mean. We had a huge crowd that were quite attentive and very responsive. Right after soundcheck a gentleman, I would later come to know as Mike, approached TR and TR got quite excited. Mike was a former basement jammer with TR in his St Louis daze from the now legendary(at least in my mind LOL) project Maga. Mike brought along a recording of an old basement jam of just he and TR goofing off. Mike is playing congas and of course TR is playing guitar. A 12-string Takamine I might add. We played it in the van today as we drove to Jacksonville. I was very excited to hear what TR's playing sounded like 30+ years ago. What I wasn't ready for or hadn't even thought about was that TR still had both his vocal chords when this was recorded. WOW WOW WOW!! TR sure sounded different vocally. Guitar-wise it was pretty much TR to me. Maybe a tad simpler but definitely TR. Very interesting to hear. Thanx to Mike for turning us on to that and hanging out with us. We had a really great TIMe. We decided that Mike would fit right in with us on the road.

Sorry to stray from the review, back to the show. We had 2 wonderful openers. First was Danny Goddard from a band called Stillwood. Next was Kristine Lenee who lists TR as her main guitar hero and it shows in her performance. She stole the audience. After one solo that took all of our breaths away backstage we hear the audience let out a roar and decided that it was a well deserved roar. Kristie tore it up all nite. She is somewhere between TR instrumentally and vocally she has moments that reminded me of Ani DiFranco. Turns out she had met TR when he was there with Dennis Kucinich and they hung out for a while and she got to play for TR. TR said it was so loud then that he had to put his head down against her guitar to hear well but that he was quite impressed. I think she was added to the bill at the last minute by the awesome promoter Ted. Ted told me earlier in the day he and Kristie had been hanging out and he asked her to play something by TR so she jumped right into a version of Dreaming. When he told us about this we all imagined how wonderful it must have been to hear a girl performing that particular track. Wish we could have heard it.

Anyway, everyone got along great and it was like one little communal party all nite. I want to thank everyone for a wonderful TIMe at what I anticipated would be a sketchy-at-best show based on my initial perception of the venue. It ended up being an awesome nite for all.

TR's Setlist:

Instead of Asking the Mind, Go To the Hands Directly
Come Together
Betrayal
The Truth
Che
Indoctrinate
Got Any Jack In Those Jeans?
--------------------------------
I Don't Want Your War
Vantage
Hands Full
Doom
Flourescence
Ancestors
Ocean
----------------------------------
Squid Ink Monkey Eye
666 Daddy Apeshit
At Times These Times
Kundalini - Repudiate
-----------------------------------
Stream - You Don't - Cheap Shots
Hold On
Levee And Slither
-----------------------------------
Cold Sweat - Meat the Meat Over Worked Gerbils-
-------------------------------------
All You Need

I don't think Cold Sweat was played but I am not sure at this point. Luckily Ted recorded the show and should be sending it along soon. I think Cheap Shots refers to the addition of the Led Zep medley during Stream because that was played. Like I said, the show was recorded so you will all get to check out this gem. Who knows, maybe I feel that way because I was there, it was a magically nite. Friday the 13th!!

Special THANX to Ted and the staff of Skippers Smokehouse for making us feel so welcome and having such a great attitude and VIBE. Thanx to Kristine, Jennifer, Ronni, Danny, Mike and all the others who made us feel like family. We had an AWESOME TIMe!!! Hope we can do it again very soon!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  12:52:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What would it take to get that jam session posted? I'd love to hear it...as would everyone else, I'm sure.
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  7:01:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gnome44

What would it take to get that jam session posted? I'd love to hear it...as would everyone else, I'm sure.

Basically permission from TR to spread it around. I will work on that, I am sure most would be interested in checking it out. Well see how TR feels about it.

As for the recording of this show, I was notified by Ted that his recording came out great and he would be more than happy to upload it to Archive.org for everyone to enjoy! THANX to Ted for all his hard work.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Christie Lenee
Is Anybody Here?

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  10:53:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christie Lenee's Homepage  Reply with Quote

It was truly an honor to open for Tim last Friday! Thank you so much for the lovely comments. It's gratifying to hear positive feedback from my guitar hero and inspiration along with his awesome road crew!!! Keep me in mind if you ever need another opening act. I hope the road is treating you well and look forward to meeting again. Keep groovin!

Peace, Love, Music

Christie Lenee
www.christielenee.com
www.myspace.com/christieleneemusic
www.myspace.com/orenda
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  5:56:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
How about a review from your perspective Christine? I think it would be quite unique and everyone here would welcome a review of TR show other than my usual drivel. THANX!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

magamike
Is Anybody Here?

1 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2006 :  05:33:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For me it was just awesome to see Tim again!
Just so everyone else knows, He is the same dude that I knew in the 70's that he is today.
Innovative guitar and positive esoteric mindset about things larger than the narrow scope of life that we lead every day...only way more developed of course.
and Christie was a stellar opener for him, She wailed!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000