11/16/06 Mexicali Blues Teaneck, NJ
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2006 :  01:21:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well tonites show was absolutely amazing! Amazing sound, amazing performance made only better by the addition of Dave Cahill to the bill. If you guys get a chance to check him out make sure you do. WOW! Erich was running over to me after one song at soundcheck offering is approval. I think he was a little surprised at Dave's ability. He wanted to rush home and check out the "Huddled Masses" CD.

It was a stormy nite in NJ and I think this affected our turnout. It was small crowd, but quite intimate, much like the State Theatre show with Matt Winn. The sound was on it and it inspired TR to take lots of liberties and chances with the set leaving us with some of the most unique versions of the songs played. Dave and I were blown away by the uniqueness of the versions played tonite. The tail of the tape will tell exact setlist as I know there was stuff played that isn't listed below(ie: Hold On, early in the set, BIZARRE! as just one example):

Far Flung Notions Of Wankenstein
Betrayal
Captain Goldnuts
Uncle Chain
The Truth
Century Sister
Indoctrinate
Diabolical Pink Underbelly of Squirting Pigs
----------------------------------------------
As Far As We Can See
Ancestors
Strom
Devils Bed
Try A Little Harny
Levee Breaks
---------------------------------------------
Mr. Wizards Shell Hideaway
Cold Sweat I Want U
Juncture Of Seperate Realities
-----------------------------------------------
Old Bones
Doom
Ocean
------------------------------------------------
YAMS
Anti-Christ Kundalini Supersnake

TR was definitely stretching out both vocally and instrumentally. Cold Sweat was the most unique vocal approach I have heard TR do of that song. There were lots of others, too many to list here or remember for that matter, but it blew Dave and myself away. Can't wait for this recording to get circulated. Jared got both board audio and video which I hear he will be sending to John Semon, so be on the lookout for this particular show. I am sure Dave, Erich, Jared, Mike, Laura, Rich or one of the many of our friends in attendance tonite will be able to write more about this AMAZING performance. I hope tomorrow is just as GREAT(only with more people hehe)

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson

CosmicHomesickAlien
Is Anybody Here?

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2006 :  1:00:31 PM  Show Profile  Send CosmicHomesickAlien an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What a great show last night. Dave had an outstandiong opening performance as Fluffy mentioned with songs like Jailbird, Saw Duel,and Nostalgia just name a few. It was the perfect prelude to the mind blowing TR set about to come.

TR began as expected with his always spacey delay volume peddle improv which seemed to run a little longer than usuall,not that i'm complaining, which secured the fact that everyone was in for a hell of a ride. From there Tim took us straight through Betrayal with no major variations to a great cover medley.
-Captain
-After the gold rush
-Ohio/aphex style!
By this point the audience was completely entranced after getting a good taste of the ring modulator Tim seems to like so much. Uncle Chain was a new one for me, that's probably wy i don't remember it so well. The highlight of the show was next though a relaxing reggae jam with Tim singing with more feeling than i have heard either on dvd's or live into a revamped century sister which we have not heard in awhile. It's awesome to hear songs like this that TR hasn't played in awhile because it has some new quirks to it. As far as we can see remained relatively the same not to say that it didn't have it's moments.

(Ok TIMe to smoke butt gotta have that nicotine)

Returned to just in TIMe to hear ancestors. I could listne to this song all day long i actually couldn't stop singing it to myself yesterday before the concert. The audience remained quiet through the whole song i remeber the canal rooom show people started running their mouths as soon as they heard the music slow down, and Tim start to sing which is rediculous(Excuse me could you please shut the hell up it's a live performance in case you forgot, see the man on the stage up there he's called a musician and he likes to use these things called dynamics, but nevermind just keep drinking). Anyway get carried away sometimes.

The next block of tunes played was awesome. Stream was incredible as usuall. It's great to hear this song because the improv is always insane, to think i couldn't stand it anymore acouple years ago. This TIMe there was no crazy neck shredding just a suddle move into a cool open chord subdued version of hold on i'm coming wihtout the funky lead part that is usually played. Once agian devils bed not a song that i am extremly familiar with, but still fantastic none the less. Try alittle harder is probalby in my top 3 TR songs so i could go on for quite awhile about it but i know i'm starting to get extemely long winded so i'll try to wrap all this up ASAP. How could a zepplin cover be bad? There's the obvious reason of the person covering it might suck but we all know that's the farthest thing from the truth.

By this point i was still shocked by how quiet almost everyone in the audience was remaining, and they would reamin as such because when Tim started playin 666 or Gospel meets Deathmetal as he put it i say alot of faces with that WTF look on their faces it was priceless. Unfortunately the band forgot to show up for cold sweat so check it to i want you which dave had also played earlier in his cover of come together.

(ok another smoke break)

It's strange but i have walked back into the show to the tune of doom way to many times don't know what's up with that but it's always nice. EveryTIMe i hear this song it's more crisp and defined than the last TIMe the only song that i think i would like hear more toward the end of the show is something nasty love that slide.
The ocean is another one of those relatively new songs to me but it definatley sticks out in mind as being another stream like journey atleast Tim made it seem as such because it started out nice and light and by the end of the song he was jamming the fuck out.

Tim returned for his encore wearing a leopard print cape and asked if the town had blown away yet which turned into a quick conversation of blowjobs gotta love it. YAMS was terrific i don't think we could've asked for a better end to the show. Like century sister it was great to hear a song that hasn't been performed in awhile.

Overall the last two shows on the fifteenth and sixteenth were the best two shows i have seen since i started seeing Tim in 2001. I look foward to checking out the audio/video that HRW got because it is going to be the bomb. Thanks to Tim, Fluffy,and Rew for yet another great chapter in my Tim reynolds concert adventures. See ya next time.
PEACE

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2006 :  1:04:31 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Tremendous Reviews guys! Sounds like this was a memorable show for everyone! Dave, you seem to have made quite a few fans. You'll have to play a gig out west so I can catch you live.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2006 :  1:24:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The weather was for sure what was keeping people away last nite which was a disappointment and a blessing. Disappointing that more people didn't witness last night's amazing Tim and Dave performance; a blessing in that had there been a mob at Mexicali, we may not have been graced with such an intimate show.

Dave was great for starters, not in rare form, as I think he had some jitters opening up for a hero in Tim, but he sounded fantastic nonetheless, and if he gives it the OK, his performance will be included on the DVD as extra footage, so you can all check out his skills. Other than Marcus, and Matt, I dont think I have heard Tim thank anyone for opening up after his set, so he was definitely into what Dave was doing.

So Tim comes out to another unbelievably quiet room and started with a very beautiful delay improv opener, he usually spaces out a bit here, but this time he went with aural aethetics for sure, followed by a soft but powerful Betrayal. A fucking sweet Neil Young medley followed, and as Crills just posted, a ring-modulator tinged Ohio. Tim also busted out the new, not often played Uncle Chair which was also a treat. The highlight of my night came shortly after when Tim worked Century Sister into an outro for The Truth. (Note: I had been politely nagging Tim to bust out this jazzy gem since last Thursday, he said he needed to brush up on it, which he obviously did! A splendid rendition for sure. Tim mentioned after he played it was for a jazz guitarist named Emily *Something* I'll have to watch the tape again for her name, and get some CDs!!!)

Anyway, we were treated to As Far As We Can See as soon as Tim picked up the 12er, followed by a Ancestors (one of my new faves). Devil's Bed is new to the repertoir as well I believe, a cool new vocal track, followed by a great Try a Little Harder, and another slide-happy version of When the Levee Breaks. 666 was definitely a surprise to me in such a subdued crowd, but it was awesome no less, and to echo Fluffy, the Cold Sweat was a truly unique take, as I am told was Hold On I'm Comin', which I missed unfortunately. Tim closed out Doom with pinch harmonics on the ending F chord which was a very nice touch. He then came out for an encore with what I can only describe as Candied YAMS.

This show is for sure gonna turn out to be an f-ing sweet DVD, we can all look forward to that soon.

Thanks so much again to Fluffy and Rew for their hospitality, and again to Tim for playing yet another of my obscure requests! I'll be seeing you all again on Saturday! Yeeha.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2006 :  9:36:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
A little taste for y'all.

Century Sister - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEmspT7tI5o

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

JemezFoodPeople
Chatterbox

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  02:21:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit JemezFoodPeople's Homepage  Send JemezFoodPeople an AOL message  Reply with Quote
thanks for all the great reviews and the video!!!

"Do you have the patience to wait
till your mud settles and the water is clear?
Can you remain unmoving
till the right action arises by itself?"
-Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

www.mattwinn.com
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  03:43:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The highlight of my night came shortly after when Tim worked Century Sister into an outro for The Truth. (Note: I had been politely nagging Tim to bust out this jazzy gem since last Thursday, he said he needed to brush up on it, which he obviously did! A splendid rendition for sure. Tim mentioned after he played it was for a jazz guitarist named Emily *Something* I'll have to watch the tape again for her name, and get some CDs!!!)
The jazz guitarist is Emily Remler. She was from C-ville. I am sure TR played with her in his days in C-ville. I am told that he never recorded anything with her. He was a big fan of Emily's. She has unfortunately passed on. When I worked at the record store, Orpheus, we used to sell Emily's vinyl records quite consistently for $20-$40 bucks. They were out of print. I bet they have been reissued on CD by now. You can probably find them on Amazon.com I posted a bunch of info about her at the following link, check it out:

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5126

quote:
Devil's Bed is new to the repertoir as well I believe, a cool new vocal track
This one is fairly new to TR's sets, I would say added within the last year or so. It's actually a cover of Daniel Lanois song. Wait a sec.......
quote:
- Devil's Bed (07/08/06 Pour House Charleston, SC)

This listing is from the TR covers thread and my notation is the first playing of this cover to my knowledge. Here is the thread if you want to look over all of TR's covers. So you know, I have only recently started keeping track of first TIMe played. If it has nothing next to it I am not sure of the first TIMe it was played. Here is the link, have a look:

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5865

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  10:09:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
HEY HEY!
So I was actually nervous before I jumped up and played. I usually never get nervous but I guess it is expected when I'm opening up for the MAN. I can't thank you guys enough for everything. The video of both TIm and I should be up soon. I'm gonna bug Jared today for it! The crowd was tiny, but I can heppliy say I was able to bring out about 30 people there.

Tim's set ruled! He played 3 or 4 songs in totally new ways. Hold on was really sweet. It was a lot slower and groovin'. The Truth sopunded kick ass as well. Century Sister rocked as Jared posted the video above. All in all this one was really great.

This tour was really amazing. I can't even put into words the inspiration I acuired. Just gonna have to write a bunch of new songs!

THANKS AGAIN....VIDEO SOON!
Go to Top of Page

jsemon2
Yak Addict

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  1:01:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit jsemon2's Homepage  Send jsemon2 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
having just watched this show and tracking it, I have to say it is a quite unique show. The biggest for me is the version of "Stream" which segues almostly seamlessly into "Hold On, I'm Comin'"

"Hold On, I'm Comin'" was sung in a very SLOW fashion and is awesome to see and hear. "Cold Sweat" was playing differently as well on guitar, but it didn't hit me as much as "Hold On"

It was also nice to see "Old Bones" for the first time. Here is a video of it for you fans:
http://stage6.divx.com/members/240342/videos/1060047

Here is the setlist I came up with as well for the night:

Disc 1
Guitar Tuning
Far Flung Notions Of Wankenstein
Betrayal
I'm Your Captain (1) >
After the Goldrush (2) >
Ohio (2)
Uncle chair
The Truth >
Century Sister (3)