04/27/07 Wilde Auditorium Univ of Hartford, CT
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  03:57:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What special treat was tonite. Usually we are in a dingy bar with the stereotypical "friday" nite crowd, drinking and rowdy and no matter how great the show is it's hard to get past the "friday nite VIBE". I am happy to say tonite may have been the best "friday" show we have had in a while. First, the venue was absolutely amazing for a TR solo performance. Completely intimate, like a small bar, but with the feel of a room like RCMH, like a tiny little theater. The room was a great room to see a show in and lent itself to a quiet, respectful audience. Second, the show was SOLD OUT and that is always a nice way to spend a friday nite for a act on the road. Nice when it can be sold out and not detract from the experience. Third, THANX to the best audience we have played to in a while.

Now let me let you in on a little secret, I never look at the setlist before TR goes on. This is an old trick for me so that the show is always a surprise and I don't have any preconceived notions about it or what to expect. I try to experience the way the audience will experience it but that is hard for me seeing TR nite after nite as you can well imagine. Happy to say that TR always surprises me, still after all these years. Tonite was no different. Here is what the setlist looked like from TR's perspective and I will fill in the gaps with my observations below the setlist:

Strange Octapus
Captain Goldfish Ohio
Chatterbox
This Is The One
Che
Noble So + So
Betrayal
Major Penetration
----------------------------
Ancestors
Arroyo
Coco
Sinceritox
Death Squad TV
----------------------------
Expansive New Swath of Breathing Room
Wayfucker
To The Next
Smells So Sweet
Anti-Matter Splatter
------------------------------
Doom
Ocean
(Hold - Strum)
------------------------------
Letter Barabaj?
Nutty Nutty Buddy

Sad to say that TR never made it to Letter or Barabajagal again tonite as he pretty much ended the set shortly after Doom but not before treating the audience(and ME)to a scorching rendition of Levee with a long intro medley that included, brace yourself, TR singing Hendrix Purple Haze into Hendrix Machine Gun into Levee. WOW, WOW, WOW!!! TR's acoustic renditions of these were just mindblowing. At first I thought it was going to be instrumental and then TR busted out some down and dirty vocals as well. It was great to hear TR interpret these songs by one of my fave artists. So glad they were captured in both audio and video. Thanx to JJ for coming out again and capturing the evening with his gear for all to enjoy. The room sounded amazing and TR's acoustic show was well suited to it. Like a said before and exceptional way to spend our "friday" nite, in a great room with great sound, great lights and with a great audience. The lighting guy, Kevin did an exceptional job and was actually getting the lights to fade with TR's fades on the guitar, it was a joy to watch(and listen hehe).

Also of note, TR stuck in the now legendary Segovia track toward the beginning of the set even though it is not mentioned on the setlist. For the encore, TR was joined on-stage by Marcus and they did a blistering version of Jemez Rolling Waves that left the audience shocked and stunned. TR rambled a bit tonite telling bizarre stories about his boots and even gave Marcus a lengthy introduction before the encore telling the audience if you want to know about Birds of Prey Marcus is the man to have around. As TR flapped his wings, Marcus pounded on his guitar adding sound effects to TR's crazy bird motions. LOL I chalked up his chattiness and crazy stories to Dave rubbing off on him after watching Dave tell stories about puss filled cysts and alike for those 3 days. Let me tell you both those boys are NUTS! On the crazy pills! LOL Don't worry, you'll see the tapes. You'll see what I mean.

Speaking of Marcus, unlike last nite, he had complete control of this audience and they were dead quiet for Marcus' set as well. Marcus must have been feeling it as he graced the audience with a brand new song tonite. 1st TIMe he has ever played it live. He had waffled the nite before about giving it a shot and I of course encouraged him but after the lack of response(he definitely wasn't feeling the love last nite)he opted to not include it last nite. Luckily for all of us the audience was the complete opposite so he pulled it out and pulled it out quite well I might add. Marcus' setlist looked like this:

Black Pearl
Story Of Now
Life In Reverse
Over U(<<<<THE NEW ONE, A FIRST)
Standing Still
Who U R

A great nite was had by both performers which is important to me of course LOL but also a great nite was had by the audience and myself. I think we were all pretty lucky to be in the right place at the right time. I don't think I am out of line when I say I think tonite was kinda magical. All the elements came together to create a beautiful evening of music that rose to level of high art.

Silly sidenote: Our dressing room was a room of the campus radio station and there were probably about 10,000 classical CD's(NOT AN EXAGERATION) in this room and about 5,000 classical LP's. We were all quite impressed but none of us as impressed as TR who used this as an opportunity to shop for classical CD's. As he browsed for amusement he found a couple he was interested in and asked if there was any way I could burn some CD's for him. "Yes, of course!" I said, not knowing what I was getting myself into. I ran out to the van and grabbed my laptop and brought in my stock of blank CDR's. One by one CD's were piling up and I was running out of blanks. As Rite of Spring hit the counter I had to tell TR that he was at his limit as I was out of blanks after that one. TR was very excited as he found 2 of the things he was really hoping to find and this really put a smile on his face. From this day forward I refer to Paganini as Pagafuckinini. I have a feeling we will be listening to TR's newly acquired classical selections in the van very soon. He really pulled out some kewl stuff that from his descriptions I am excited to experience. So from my experience never enter a room with 10,000 classical CD's with TR unless you have the next few hours free to burn, burn, burn.

Thanx to Keith and his staff for taking such good care of us tonite. Thanx to JJ for coming out and capturing the show. Thanx to the technical staff for doing a fantastic job with sound and lights as it really contributed highly to VIBE of the whole evening. And BIG THANX to the incredibly respectful audience, I wish they all could be as wonderful as you all were. PEACE!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  06:56:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very cool way to start my day. I am putting in a request,for the North Star Bar, the Segovia song! hehehe

Sounds like the good-vibes gods were looking down on all of you. Or maybe the good-vibes aliens! Nice to hear about a respectful crowd. I think C'ville is the only venue where I have experienced a silent crowd for TR. North Star might me a respectful crowd as long as it isn't filled with the sterotypical DMB fans. The layout is such that the bar is in another room so the bar noise doesn't interfere.

It also has a balcony which is pretty cool. I was thinking of going up on the balcony and video taping the show. We'll see.

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

jjkim1028
Try A Little Harder

52 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  10:57:36 AM  Show Profile  Send jjkim1028 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It was great to be there once more (2nites in a row) to see Tim and Marcus, and I was honored to be allowed to tape both nights... I could not stop smiling in my car on my way back home.
My wife was there to videotape as 2nd camera (many thanks to her) and I think her camera looks better than my 3ccd sony fx1 hdv camera. hers was sony dvd405 which records into mini-dvd, consumer level. she did pretty good job to control cheap tripod and to capture great angle and frame in the 1st row. ( I actually watched what my wife shot on TV, and it looked pretty damn fu**ing good for consumer DVD and the person who never shot a concert before... . wow... what a girl..)
i set my camera way back near the soundboard, getting fed direct audio from the soundboard. thanx to Chris and Keith to letting me in earlier to set up, and always many many thanks to Fluffy and Tim for making my dream come ture! I met Jon who is admin of the website as well... I wish I had more time to talk but i had 2.5 hr driving back to Mass....

Last night set was more energetic than the night before... it was good to hear "this is the one" song... just love that song so much..
he played one of my favorite, "wayfarer" or "wayfcuker" as Fluffy stated, LOL.. I was jumping up and down (Marcus was sitting right next to me that time...) when I heard the first couple notes... haven't heard that song live for a long time.. (at least for me..)
It was awesome to hear chatterbox again... haven't heard that one for a while, either...

setlist was solid... loved every single moment...
He did lots of funky sound change during the songs alot... especially during CAptain Goldfish Ohio... was surprised... I was like "wow.."
little guitar/drumming/elec sound/whatever after "smells so sweet" was crazy/amazing/incredible... loved it...
Marcus joined Tim at the encore... which was short (comparing to other night) and extremely sweet! it was perfect and solid...

Marcus was great and audience was into him (who isn't? LOL) as well.
someone requested Standing still and he played which was nice! He talked about a girl who counted how many times his finger reached his glasses during a show at Portland, and how she e-mailed him later with 3 pages long solution.... Marcus said,," first of all, you are a psycho..." MArcus' setlist was solid as well, and I always wish he would have more time play... maybe I will fly to west to see his gig... when I make alot more money... LOL...

I am going to office on monday and going to capture my tapes for both nights... it will be blast to see the tapes again, and I will update with progress whenever I can.
THanks alot, Tim and Fluffy, and Marcus! Thanks to Keith and UOH for letting me in, and alot of thanks to my wife who deicded to film as swing camera (even though it was her 1st time ever to tim's show... i felt kinda bad that I put her in that position...) and my wife's sister who took care of my 9month old son while we were away.... he will join us when he big enough to walk... my baby listens to Tim's See Into Your Soul CD when he sleeps....
Take care,ya'll!

JJ

photo of tim on stage and tim on my lcd panel ... NEw MArket, NH

Tim me and my wife after the show last night
Go to Top of Page

jsemon2
Yak Addict

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  11:07:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit jsemon2's Homepage  Send jsemon2 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
cant wait to hear this new song of Marcus!!!! and Tim's audio too, there are a few new songs still. Past 6-8 months Tim has really been cranking out the lyric tunes, and I'm loving it.

OUT FOR LUNCH
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  11:51:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JJ, great review, your excitement really transcended throughout your post. Very cool! Also, way to go as a dad! Had I known TR's music in the 80's when I had my kids, they would have been raised on him too! I can tell you and your wife are superb parents!

Hey Fluffy and Jon, I think we need to add that one to the board rules. New Rule: Any board member having a child must raise him/her on TR music from infancy!

Sweet pictures too!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

jsemon2
Yak Addict

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  3:43:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit jsemon2's Homepage  Send jsemon2 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
just read FLuffy's note. so are you admitting right now that you illegally copied cds?

OUT FOR LUNCH
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  5:42:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What CD's????? Aren't you a bit young to be needing reading glasses?

Go to Top of Page

DMBpride
Is Anybody Here?

4 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  6:30:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit DMBpride's Homepage  Send DMBpride an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,
You can grab samples from Marcus' set at the link below- a few high-res pics and the new song (mp3 & flac):

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ua7bzp

Still working on cutting up Timmy's set, but Marcus' is done and ready to share.

Chris Petescia
www.dmbart.com
Go to Top of Page

DMBpride
Is Anybody Here?

4 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  6:54:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit DMBpride's Homepage  Send DMBpride an AOL message  Reply with Quote
By the way, I just wanted to add my praise for the show. Having warmed up to last night with a few glimpses of Tim at UMass and Radio City with Dave, it was mind-blowing to get such an intimate show. I can't wait to see JJ Kim's video work. It was my 1st time taping, and thanks to the input of Chris at the soundboard, it sounds fantastic. I will finish cutting it up as soon as I can :)

Unfortunately, the lighting was dim and ambient... while that enhances the mood of the show, it makes photography a bitch. I got enough shots to work with for the artwork I am planning on doing for it, but I'll be sure to save myself a seat up-front next time (taping was the priority this show). My best friend Ryan was along with me, and was blown away by both Marcus and Tim (being a virgin to each).

Anyway, I will post more asap - thanks to everyone for the help, and it was great meeting Tim, Fluffy, and of course Marcus.

Chris Petescia
www.dmbart.com
Go to Top of Page

Kevin
Chatterbox

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  2:33:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was definately one of the best shows I've been to period. I was front row for this one and the one at the Stone Church (this show was so much better imo). It was awesome to hear the Segovia song too haha. I got to talk with Tim about the origins of that song for a little while after the show (thanks to the roadie who hooked that up too; never caught his name oops). What a Wayfarer too :) Marcus Eaton was great too! Anyways I took a bunch of pictures on a shoddy disposable, so I won't waste anyone's time posting any of them up here haha. BUT I did get a pretty cool shot of Tim as he was running away after the encore with Marcus...

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  12:55:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
jjkim1028 wrote:
quote:
he played one of my favorite, "wayfarer" or "wayfcuker" as Fluffy stated, LOL..

Actually all of the song titles in my posts are transcriptions of what TR had written on the actual setlist(misspellings and all)and are the product of his twisted little mind. I accept no responsibility for the spelling or naming of the songs. LOL

Hey Kevin, thanx for chiming in. Here is that thread I told you about that deals with the Segovia track. I guess you may have already seen it but here's a link:

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3524

You must have seen it as you posted on it in 2005.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Kevin
Chatterbox

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  01:35:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No I knew about the thread sorry to mislead you; I was kinda in awe and shock and blah blah I was just along for the ride haha. Thanks again for your help with that tho; it was sweet to talk to Tim for a minute about it. Hey you're the taller guy with long hair right? Or are you the guy with awesome hat?
Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  10:06:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK...I'm only partially through this show on archive.org (thanks jsemon) and it has to be one of the top 5 shows in the past few years.

I'm thoroughly enjoying it!

Way to go TR!
Go to Top of Page

jjkim1028
Try A Little Harder

52 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  5:21:40 PM  Show Profile  Send jjkim1028 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
my edit for Marcus is done, and half way through on Tim's.
I will try to finish this up during the weekend, and John will author the DVD.

I am capturing the NH show... there is flicker thing going on... both on mine and Brian's... I don't know what the deal is with that...

Go to Top of Page

jjkim1028
Try A Little Harder

52 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  12:36:46 AM  Show Profile  Send jjkim1028 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The DVD was ready a long time ago and I was waiting for someone else to finish up the artwork, but looks like that is not going to happen. So I am just offering the DVD with my artwork.

your name
e-mail address

thanks.
Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  07:19:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eric Christopher
ericbchristopher (at) hotmail (dot) com

Thanks a lot!
Go to Top of Page