New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  5:58:01 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, what to say that hasn’t been said already. The DVD is AMAZING. The video is great, the 5.1 surround sound is beyond great, especially when turned up really loud! Dave and Tim are great. The songs are great. But best of all, I think the DVD really does an amazing job of showcasing Tim. Dave is constantly talking him up, there is just as much camera time dedicated to Tim and his playing as Dave, they zoom in on his playing at all the right times etc.. Not to mention that the bonus documentary is worth the price of the DVD itself. That footage of Dave and Tim dicking around in the studio while recording BTCS is priceless, and now makes me wonder if they will one day release a deluxe edition of BTCS with more of this footage. Next year would make for a nice 10 year anniversary edition. ARE YOU LISTENING SONYBMG????

But, since I’m a DMB fan, that means I have to complain about something, so here it goes, and I don’t even think I’ve heard anyone complain about this yet (I’m sure they have, I just haven’t seen it yet). What were they thinking with that background???? I guess they were going for a basement type vibe or something, but come on. When I saw them perform in LA last year, they had a very nice background with a large clock. As nice as the camera work is, an equally nice background could have worked. How’s that for a complaint?

If there is anyone who still hasn’t picked up the DVD (maybe you only got the cd) You really need to get it. I’m only envious of those of you who are rocking a Plasma, or maybe a projector hooked up to a Bluray player and can enjoy the blu-ray disc in all of it’s glory.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  03:58:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I LOVE cluttered background stages. When I was able to perform the play I wrote for my independent study in high school, my set was this: 3 walls on hinges together, a stool, a bench, and no drop curtain behind. Something about cluttered background fires my imagination. I think it forces you to use your imagination even more for plays. If the play is good enough, the acting is good enough, why need the curtain hiding all the background? I think it kicks your imagination in gear. And with stuff like music dvds, you can go back and look and see what is sitting there. You spend time wondering, wtf is that? Or, hey that looks pretty awesome! Wow, who left that there? Just these oddball things laying around. It fires my imagination, and I love it! Right when the dvd started, and I saw that cluttered stuff not covered up. The mics and chords were not trying to hide and pretend not to be there, I was hooked.

Hey, what do you get from a guy who calls himself "the Ranting Thespian" when you talk about stages?

Not communicating can hurt more than any word that can be said -

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  10:37:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you think that the talking between songs should be set apart as separate tracks?

It can get annoying when I just want to listen to the songs...and I end up listening to Dave talk about something for several minutes.

It's not that I'm particularly unintersted in what he's saying...it's just that I don't want to have to listen to it every time I listen to the music.

It's OK when it's at the end of a track because I can just skip ahead. It's less OK when it's at the beginning of the track.

It would be nice if they were separate, then you could rip the disc and remove the "speaking tracks" if you wanted...
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  2:13:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I can understand your point Gnome. But there's only the one track, at least on the CD, that has talking before the song, Oh. I thought it was funny because he, Dave, talks longer than the actual song. I enjoyed how much talking they left in myself.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  3:01:52 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I hear ya about the talking, it's similar to skits on hip hop cds. It might be funny the 1st few times you hear it, but ultimately you are litening for music, so you always end up skipping it.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  6:57:08 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking the same thing the last time I heard it. It's great that Dave is getting the Jon Towne (Sp?) story out there, but once I've heard it once, I don't really need to keep hearing it. Plus the way Dave talks (high?) kind of annoys me sometimes anyway.

I do like the skits on the first Tenacious D CD...
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  02:36:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's odd, on the DVD the stories are on a different chapter than the song (DVDs having chapters, and not tracks).

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

jsemon2
Yak Addict

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  12:28:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit jsemon2's Homepage  Send jsemon2 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
why is it so much easier to talk about the things we dislike then it is to talk about the things we do like?

OUT FOR LUNCH
Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  12:37:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jsemon2

why is it so much easier to talk about the things we dislike then it is to talk about the things we do like?

It's so much easier because there is only 1 thing that I dislike about the CD/DVD (that the speaking parts aren't separate tracks).

And there are probably somewhere around 55 billion things that I do like.

So, where would you like me to start?
Go to Top of Page

Mave Datthews
Is Anybody Here?

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  3:41:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Mave Datthews an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I absolutely love this DVD, and I only wish that there could have been some video for Luther College.

Betrayal is outstanding, too. I listened to it and Eh Hee on the way into work this morning - it's still stuck in my head and I love it.

The documentary is awesome, too. I can't get enough behind-the-scenes stuff when it comes to my favorite artists, especially Dave/DMB and/or Tim. To see the way they tell stories and laugh together just makes me smile; and it was really great to finally hear them tell the full story of how they met and started playing together.

Tim is my sanity.
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  8:22:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
To see the way they tell stories and laugh together just makes me smile; and it was really great to finally hear them tell the full story of how they met and started playing together.

I was happy about that as well. I thought finally all those DMB fans can finally put that "grudge/falling out" rumor to bed. Straight from the horses mouths.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  08:59:40 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fluffy
I was happy about that as well. I thought finally all those DMB fans can finally put that "grudge/falling out" rumor to bed. Straight from the horses mouths.

Those rumors always make me laugh. The "carter/leroi/stefan/etc. hates Tim" rumors kind of started up again too regarding whether he'll be on their new album/next tour.
Go to Top of Page

Andre_Brazil
Try A Little Harder

Brazil
87 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  09:32:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GuitarGuy305

quote:

regarding whether he'll be on their new album/next tour.

About that... man how I wish a colaboration in a new DMB album by Tim. I mean the fills that he makes in the first 3 records... damm!
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  12:09:47 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, in my opinion they have really lost steam since he stopped guesting/playing on albums. I'm not sure if it's just a coincidence or not, but for me DMB + Tim either live or studio is a million times more interesting/entertaining than just DMB.
Go to Top of Page

Andre_Brazil
Try A Little Harder

Brazil
87 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  4:54:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Under the Table, Crash and Before... Masterpieces... with Tim.. coincidence.. I don´t think so!
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  5:00:38 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Not to mention Live @ Red Rocks and the first Live Trax CD.

And of course Luther and Radio City go without saying.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  5:32:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Honestly, as far as I'm concerned Before These Crowded Streets was a masterpiece, a magnum opus, if you will. The production quality and sound blows anything else they've done out of the water. The line up is great. The outros were a great idea to tie songs together. And the Tim and Bela parts are outstanding. One of my highlights TR's classic clean solo at the end of Crush. Man, moments like that don't come too often.

So, yeah, I think it's particularly interesting that with no TR and Lilywhite their albums have not matched the quality of the first three albums (four with Remember Two Things). I didn't even buy Stand Up. I heard a couple album tracks and thought they were horrible. I heard them live, they were better. I heard them with Dave and Tim and they were fantastic. Maybe it's me though...

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  2:02:32 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arthen

Honestly, as far as I'm concerned Before These Crowded Streets was a masterpiece, a magnum opus, if you will. The production quality and sound blows anything else they've done out of the water. The line up is great. The outros were a great idea to tie songs together. And the Tim and Bela parts are outstanding. One of my highlights TR's classic clean solo at the end of Crush. Man, moments like that don't come too often.

So, yeah, I think it's particularly interesting that with no TR and Lilywhite their albums have not matched the quality of the first three albums (four with Remember Two Things). I didn't even buy Stand Up. I heard a couple album tracks and thought they were horrible. I heard them live, they were better. I heard them with Dave and Tim and they were fantastic. Maybe it's me though...

Yeah, I love Tim's clean solos at the end of Crush and Spoon. And all his fills/riff the entire album always blow me away. If you listen closely to The Last Stop you can hear him going nuts with the Whammy pedal in there too.

I know what you mean about the Stand Up songs. I admit I bought it, but it really does blow. The songs rock D&T and even some of the songs have grown out to be so-so with the band live. But take a song like Old Dirt Hill...it sucks so incredibly badly on the album and with the band, but it is becoming one of my favorite D&T songs.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  2:24:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GuitarGuy305

But take a song like Old Dirt Hill...it sucks so incredibly badly on the album and with the band, but it is becoming one of my favorite D&T songs.

Me too! Especially that song! That's really a funny coincidence. It has such a great tone and feel on D&T.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  5:56:59 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Me too! Especially that song! That's really a funny coincidence. It has such a great tone and feel on D&T.

Yeah. I still can't stand songs like Smooth Rider though. Even though Tim lays down some sick riffs during it, it just doesn't have any substance for me. That new song Cornbread is pretty catchy, but also just leaves me thinking "That was weird." Especially the alternate personality Dave takes on before playing it on RCMH...
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  02:25:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, I do have Stand Up, and I don't think it's horrible. I don't even think it's bad. I think it's ok. I think the song Dream Girl would have been fantastic if he rewrote the first verse. Out of My Hands is very nice (and that one was the only one with 0% Baston). I mean, I listen to it every once in a while, but not that often.

This is what boggles my mind. In 2004, they had 4 GREAT new songs! Hello Again, Joy Ride, Crazy-Easy, and Sugar Will. I mean they were the best Material since 2000. Then they went right into the studio . . . and they just disappeared. Hello Again made the album, but the strong Carter solo twards the end was lost, and the song comes to an abrupt end. Joy Ride was only released on the "bonus disc" and it lost all of it's Magic that it had live, the production made it sound dead. Sugar Will was only released on the warehouse "bonus disc" and only live. And nothing from Crazy-Easy. Then, the band never played them again (ok, almost but you get my drift). It's almost 2008, where did they go???? I love DMB as a band and as individuals, but wtf happened????

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  03:21:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ranting Thespian

This is what boggles my mind. In 2004, they had 4 GREAT new songs! Hello Again, Joy Ride, Crazy-Easy, and Sugar Will. I mean they were the best Material since 2000. Then they went right into the studio . . . and they just disappeared. Hello Again made the album, but the strong Carter solo twards the end was lost, and the song comes to an abrupt end. Joy Ride was only released on the "bonus disc" and it lost all of it's Magic that it had live, the production made it sound dead. Sugar Will was only released on the warehouse "bonus disc" and only live. And nothing from Crazy-Easy. Then, the band never played them again (ok, almost but you get my drift). It's almost 2008, where did they go???? I love DMB as a band and as individuals, but wtf happened????

What the hell happened to a bunch of their songs? They just don't play them. I was more upset when "Busted Stuff" came out because they destroyed how great "Raven" and "Captain" used to be, although either version of "Captain" isn't as great as the old D&T "Crazy" was. Who knows what decides which songs they choose to continue playing. I just hope they'll keep playing "Shotgun", which for now, it seems they will.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  11:26:03 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, I do have Stand Up, and I don't think it's horrible. I don't even think it's bad. I think it's ok. I think the song Dream Girl would have been fantastic if he rewrote the first verse. Out of My Hands is very nice (and that one was the only one with 0% Baston). I mean, I listen to it every once in a while, but not that often.

Stand Up did have a few good moments. The album itself is more what I dislike than the songs on it. As in I would rather hear some of those songs live any day than on that studio CD ever again. I like Out Of My Hands and the American Baby Intro. I wish ABI was a full song because from the few words of lyrics I think it had some major potential. I haven't listened to that album in a long time, but the way he screams the lyrics to ABI live gives me chills sometimes.

I'd also like to know WTF happened to the 2004 songs. Sugar Will was teased the last couple nights so maybe it will come back and possibly be on the new album. I agree that Hello Again on Stand Up and Joy Ride from the bonus disc both lost all of their steam in the studio. I liked Trouble With You from the bonus disc, but I've never heard it played again. Crazy-Easy was also released on one of their Live Trax CDs from a show from 2004. They obviously know these songs are liked by fans if they release them in some form or another. I just hope songs like Eh Hee, Sister, Shotgun, #27 and even Cornbread make the new album, and we don't get another total curveball again. But if there's one thing I've learned, it's to never try to predict what this band will do either live or in the studio.

The word on the DMB boards is that DMB has parted ways with Mark Batson, so that is at least good news as far as I'm concerned. But now the rumors have cropped up as far as who his replacement will be. Daniel Lanois, Steve Lillywhite, etc... I don't hold my breath for either Daniel or Steve, but I hope whoever they get does a better job than Batson did with the band.
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  11:29:11 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What the hell happened to a bunch of their songs? They just don't play them. I was more upset when "Busted Stuff" came out because they destroyed how great "Raven" and "Captain" used to be, although either version of "Captain" isn't as great as the old D&T "Crazy" was. Who knows what decides which songs they choose to continue playing. I just hope they'll keep playing "Shotgun", which for now, it seems they will.

They did bring back Sweet Up and Down this tour, which I was pretty excited about. I loved that song back when they first "released" it on the LWS and were playing it live back then. I'd love to see songs like Digging A Ditch, Busted Stuff, Raven, Captain...the list goes on. They don't even play most of the Everyday songs any more. They also brought back The Dreaming Tree this tour which was a nice treat. But for a band with such a huge catalog of songs, I don't get why it seems that their setlists are always so similar except for a few differences in song choice and setlist slot.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  1:39:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If not Steve Lilywhite, than Daniel Lanois! He helped produce some of U2's best stuff, worked with Chris Whitley and Peter Gabriel, and Dave loves his songs. He's definitely got the credentials for the job.

Overall "Stand Up" sounds artificial and stale to me.

And as for their setlists, they do get into the habit of picking about 30-40 songs and just playing those each tour with one or two variations. My favorite style of setlists are Phish's. They would pull anything out and anytime and I think it made for a truly exciting concert, simply because one couldn't guess what would happen next. I've been going to DMB concerts for the past 6 years (this is the first year I won't see them), and my friend and I would always try to guess the opener, closer, and encore, and we could do it with some accuracy, just by looking at previous setlists of that tour.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Andre_Brazil
Try A Little Harder

Brazil
87 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  2:41:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I miss Crazy Easy... and seems like they are playing sugar will again. In 2005 Tim played Stand Up in a very unique way.. it was great!
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  3:20:09 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If not Steve Lilywhite, than Daniel Lanois! He helped produce some of U2's best stuff, worked with Chris Whitley and Peter Gabriel, and Dave loves his songs. He's definitely got the credentials for the

Yeah, I think someone confirmed that Lanois was working on other stuff, so it might not be him, but I am hopeful. Both Lanois and Lilywhite have worked with U2 as well. For some reason people always talk about the "falling out" between Lilywhite and DMB, but they also talk about falling outs between Dave and Tim, and Tim and (DMB member name here). So I give zero credibility to any of it.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  3:31:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I've heard stuff like that too. I feel like there had to be some kind of difference or divide between the band and Lilywhite. I mean, I don't know what goes on during their recording sessions, but I would have to have a good reason to step away from someone who helped me make "Under...", "Crash", and "BTCS". I'm talking like, they would've had to hit my dog with a car or tried to grab my sister. Serious shit.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  01:35:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I know for a fact Steve isn't coming back. I remember reading an article after Everyday was released (I think it might have been after the 2001 tour), that he wouldn't talk about DMB or Dave, or answer any questions about them anymore.

Dave also did say that they and Steve talked after the 2000 tour, and Steve was very kind and they handled it very well. He says so in the Charlie Rose show when they interviewed DMB. So I don't think they are mad at each other, but Steve isn't coming back.

I also did hear Baston was out. Although, on the latests tunes of Dave's (falling off the roof, cornbread, kill the king, idea of you, shotgun, can't stop, and maybe a few more) give Baston credit as well as dmb as a whole. So, why he's out is up for grabs right now.

I know Dave has also played with Lanois once and Emmy Lou Harris on stage doing the Maker. They know each other, and they like each other, and Daniel Lanois would be a PERFECT match for the band.

I think the reason why Dave and the guys say they are going to just let it come out, is not to get into a situation where they have to rush for time, and put together an album of only half good of what it could be. That is what happened with Stand Up, and the band said that.

I do have to say, I miss the older versions of Raven. And I do also wonder why DMB doesn't mix it up like they used to. They used to mix it up ALL the time. New songs out whenever, old ones coming, new ones stacked in. I think after 2002, their set lists started to not impress or amaze me anymore. I know that Dave writes what he thinks is a good set list, and runs it by Carter and Stefan, and then eventually Boyd and LeRoi. I think the reason why it's not surprising anymore is that they are stuck in a rut now. They should try to find a different way of doing the set lists.

But here's an idea, What's Greg Howard up to right now? Hmmmmm?

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

Andre_Brazil
Try A Little Harder

Brazil
87 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  04:38:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as I know after BTCS Lilywhite wanted to record the new albúm in NY and the band wanted to move to Charlottesville. It was when the whole thing started to brake out I think.
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  01:55:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andre_Brazil

As far as I know after BTCS Lilywhite wanted to record the new albúm in NY and the band wanted to move to Charlottesville. It was when the whole thing started to brake out I think.

Steve advised against recording in C'ville, because the closer you are to home, the more things and excuses you have when something comes up. While being far away on such a project, you give more time and focus on it. Sadly, the two times DMB used their studio, 1st was the "Lillywhite Sessions", and second is Stand Up. Both albums turned out under par (and with the LWS, totally scraped).

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

Mave Datthews
Is Anybody Here?

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  08:20:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Mave Datthews an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

People who start those rumors - and actually believe them - are retarded. They give DMB fans a bad name. I'm glad to see them laid to rest, too.

Tim is my sanity.
Go to Top of Page

Mave Datthews
Is Anybody Here?

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  09:02:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Mave Datthews an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This bugs the shit out of me, too. The only real explanation I can think of is that the band, for some reason, just wasn't feeling them anymore.

Who knows, maybe they'll start bringing them out again next year or the year after. I mean, look at what happened with JTR! We thought for sure that we'd never hear it again, and then BOOM - they pull it out at the New Orleans Jazz Fest last year. Granted, it's not a regular song now or anything, but at least we know it's not dead, so there may be hope yet for the '04 songs. Fonzie said it himself, "No song is ever 'dead."

Tim is my sanity.
Go to Top of Page

Mave Datthews
Is Anybody Here?

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  10:00:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Mave Datthews an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GuitarGuy305The word on the DMB boards is that DMB has parted ways with Mark Batson, so that is at least good news as far as I'm concerned. But now the rumors have cropped up as far as who his replacement will be. Daniel Lanois, Steve Lillywhite, etc... I don't hold my breath for either Daniel or Steve, but I hope whoever they get does a better job than Batson did with the band.

Huh? Since when?! I thought they brought in another dude a while ago to work with Batson - did that fall through or something? Well, I won't believe anything until it's officially announced by the band.

As for any hopes of Lillywhite coming back, I wouldn't count on it. I don't know exactly what happened with him and the band, but his business with them is long gone.

Tim is my sanity.
Go to Top of Page

Mave Datthews
Is Anybody Here?

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  10:08:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Mave Datthews an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If not Steve Lilywhite, than Daniel Lanois! He helped produce some of U2's best stuff, worked with Chris Whitley and Peter Gabriel, and Dave loves his songs. He's definitely got the credentials for the job.

Overall "Stand Up" sounds artificial and stale to me.

And as for their setlists, they do get into the habit of picking about 30-40 songs and just playing those each tour with one or two variations. My favorite style of setlists are Phish's. They would pull anything out and anytime and I think it made for a truly exciting concert, simply because one couldn't guess what would happen next. I've been going to DMB concerts for the past 6 years (this is the first year I won't see them), and my friend and I would always try to guess the opener, closer, and encore, and we could do it with some accuracy, just by looking at previous setlists of that tour.

Lanois would definitely be interesting... it all depends on how his style gels with the band's, though. I'm sure they'd be a pretty close fit, though.

As for the setlists, I think they like to keep things somewhat limited because they like to keep things tight so the performances don't suffer. They can't just pull out something like Monkey Man or Last Stop after they haven't played it in forever. Sometimes they try soundchecking these songs a couple nights in a row before they play them in the show (Dreaming Tree this year, for example); but sometimes, that doesn't always lead to them playing the song. Sometimes they decide after soundchecking it that it's just not time to pull it out yet, who knows.

You can't really compare DMB to Phish, though. One might make the argument that Phish could do the setlists they did because they're better musicians, but DMB are no slouches in the least. It's just stylistic differences, that's all. They're two completely different bands. They might have similar musical influences, but while Phish is a genuine jam band, DMB is not - they might extend certain songs to include jams, but they don't change and explore songs differently every night, which is what jam bands do.

Tim is my sanity.
Go to Top of Page

Mave Datthews
Is Anybody Here?

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  10:41:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Mave Datthews an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ranting ThespianI know that Dave writes what he thinks is a good set list, and runs it by Carter and Stefan, and then eventually Boyd and LeRoi. I think the reason why it's not surprising anymore is that they are stuck in a rut now. They should try to find a different way of doing the set lists.

Actually, I heard the way they do it is look at the archives and try to figure out what they haven't played at that particular venue in a while and write it accordingly.

I like Weezer's method, though: they have one multi-sided die that coincides with the number of albums they have, then roll another die and whatever number that is, they play that track from whatever number album was rolled. Pretty cool way to mix it up, I think.

Tim is my sanity.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  7:57:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weezer has by far the best system.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2007 :  03:29:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Actually, about how they do the setlist. With how Dave will write it down, take it to carter and Stefan, then eventually Boyd and LeRoi, that came right from Dave's mouth. It was on one of 2 shows, but I am not going to dig them up right now. It was either from Carson Daily's show that comes on after Conan, or it was from the Charlie Rose interview with the band.

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2007 :  10:12:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carson Daily is awful.
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2007 :  11:54:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gnome44

Carson Daily is awful.

He's ok now. But when he was on MTV, I hated his show and how he acted. Now he actually seems to be a person with intelligence, and not just another face for MTV. He has now stated he did not like TRL that much, and did not like a lot of the bands and pop stars that came and played. I am not a huge fan of him, but I don't despise him anymore.

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000