Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  1:26:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roanoke Times, 1/21/08

Concert review: Tim Reynolds is esoteric, electric
Reynolds and his band, TR3, played 202 Market on Sunday night
By Tad Dickens | 777-6474

About 250 people paid for a rock show on Sunday night, and a football game broke out.

Granted, it was the NFC championship game, and a good one that went into overtime. Still, Tim Reynolds and his band, TR3, were onstage at 202 Market.

So, three times during the set, applause and hollering erupted, directed at the television behind the bar. One might think, geez, that’s a good guitar lead Reynolds is playing, but really? Only to look toward the noise and see that the New York Giants were either missing a field goal, or finally winning the championship with a field goal.

But it’s a bar, so what are you gonna do.

That little anecdote shouldn’t override this fact: Tim Reynolds and his band laid down the esoteric funk/rock like seasoned professionals. Reynolds, best known to most as a sideman and collaborator of Dave Matthews, is an improvisational monster who seems to look at a guitar as much for its noisemaking capabilities as for its melodic potential.

He played lots of slide guitar, often using it not for the old blues runs we all know, but for some pretty psychedelic squeals and whines. Early on, he played some pinched-note harmonics combined with the slide to produce some rare tones from his orange Fender Stratocaster.

Elsewhere in his roughly two-hour set, he used the guitar for vocal lines. A great example of that was the band’s cover of Led Zeppelin’s “Four Sticks.” Drummer Dan Martier pounded out the menacing tribal beat as Reynolds played the Robert Plant vocal part on slide guitar. On other songs, such as show opener “Ohio,” written and sung by Neil Young, Reynolds used his fingers on the fretboard to play the vocal melody.

His own singing is decent, not very strong, but he hits the notes. He was still able to summon some anger as he and his band sang: “The media is a weapon of mass destruction ... They control your mind so you can’t decide.” Later in the song, the lyrics extolled the virtues of masturbation.

Reynolds told the crowd that the song was inspired by Noam Chomsky, a Massachusetts Institute of Technology linguist and political activist.

“I don’t know if he would be proud of that,” Reynolds joked.

Casual listeners might not know from hearing Reynolds play so much acoustic, but he has a big piece of wicked heavy metal in his soul. “When The Walls Came Down” sounded like it could be an Alice In Chains song, and the Zeppelin tune was a rock feast. He also spent plenty of time with more meditative tunes, some inspired by Eastern music, and he showed how you can groove good in 54 time. That’s four beats, like we all know — you just add one.

Despite the excitement over the playoff game, most in the sold-out room were focused on the band, and the floor was packed.

Roanoke jam band Groova Scape opened the show with a 40-minute set full of long tunes with good guitar solos by Henry Lazenby, who also played keyboards. The band’s all-original show began with “Revolution,” which had a Parliament-Funkadelic style keyboard intro, and plenty of busy percussion from drummer Robert Prescott and conga player Chad Merson. Bassist Marcus Morris’ vocals were strong and solid for most of the set, and Lazenby tore through plenty of blues-rock inflected leads colored with electronic effects.

Other crowd favorites included the instrumental “Last Monkey in Space,” and the 60s-sounding jam groove of “Just Another Ploy For The Man To Keep A Brotha Down.”

Groova is young, talented, and doesn’t head into train wrecks — which is easy enough to do when you’re experimenting.

Still, the band is all about its influences now. If the band sticks together and stays serious, it could become an original force.

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  1:42:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/v/eRd_2AxqEMw
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  2:08:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting these Patrick!!!! Tad wrote an outstanding review, at least I found it to be well written and better than the average reviews that get published. He sounds like a true TR fan.

Got to admit, I was home watching the game too. Fell asleep when it went into overtime (was running on no sleep for the past two days so I was exhausted) and I had to wait until I got my morning newspaper to see who won. Go Giants!!!! Having said that, had I been at the show, I wouldn't have been watching the game, that's for darn sure! TR3 Rocks!!!

Thanks for putting up the new youtube videos...thank god for youtube!
Go to Top of Page

imagine
Is Anybody Here?

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  8:06:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
setlist

http://homepage.mac.com/imagine_/.Public/timreynolds055.jpg
Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  1:43:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Souls - http://www.youtube.com/v/010g5EAbjqw&rel=1

Between C-ville and Roanoke, I think the band were more "on" in Roanoke and I liked the setlist better too. Bang a Gong was a fun and unexpected cover. Ohio is one of my favorite covers Tim does, but it was a new beast with the band behind him and an overdriven slide solo for the melody. I think my favorite tune of the night might just be Four Sticks. I loved hearing Souls again. They played it in C-ville too, but I never get tired of that song.
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  2:57:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Was that setlist scanned? Fluffy usually has all of them....
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  3:01:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You're not gonna save that one, David.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  3:07:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hahahaha remember that!?
Go to Top of Page

imagine
Is Anybody Here?

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  3:42:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes the setlist was scanned - my brother asked tim for it, but tim missed the grab for it on the run offstage, dan was kind enough to pick it up !
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  9:07:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Just curious, why is your name Imagine?

Not communicating can hurt more than any word that can be said -

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

imagine
Is Anybody Here?

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  10:31:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i guess what it means to me is an appealing alternative to the old ibm business credo "think" - you know, set your mind free - also lennon fan !
Go to Top of Page

LittleFishMusic
Is Anybody Here?

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  6:27:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Ya'all Firsttime poster. Looking forward to seeing TR3 in Pontiac Michigan, The Crofoot is a sweet venue and the show should be off the Hook. Dig the videos. Hey what happened to the purple rain?
Peace!
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  8:11:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by imagine

. . . also lennon fan !

That's what I thought. John Lennon is my mentor, hero, and idol. Imagine is my favorite song in the world, and album! I even have a gold plated LP of Imagine, with the lyrics to Imagine and John's face etched on it, with a plaque stating it is for the 26th anniversery of the album, and telling it's limited production, and the edition number, and then a block of wood from the door of Tittenhurst (his estate in Ascot) where he wrote the song and recorded the album, with IMAGINE painted on it.

You should IM me sometime.

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  10:45:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If John were here he'd say, "Paul, you prick!"

Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  02:57:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hopeful Rolling Waves

If John were here he'd say, "Paul, you prick!"

Hey now!

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  11:29:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, he would.

Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  03:34:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hopeful Rolling Waves

Well, he would.

I highly disagree. And lets not fight about it.

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  11:18:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Bullshit, John Lennon would've been disgraced by how much of a nancy Paul McCartney has become.

And John would want me to fight for what I believe in, you spotty bot.

Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  6:38:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
please don't use nancy like that.

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  8:17:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'll give him Band on the Run; then a stream endless taunts!

Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2008 :  03:09:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have to say that I LOVED Chaos and Creation In the Backyard (his second latest album). I think it is one of the best solo album from the 4 guys. I also loved Ram, McCartney, Back to the Egg, Mull of Kyntire, Driving Rain, Flaming Pie, Run Devil Run, Venus and Mars, and a lot more. As much of a die hard John Lennon fan that I am, I also love Paul and his music. I also think he still is still one of the BEST showmen today. He puts on one HELL of a concert!

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  06:08:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
SETLIST(transcribed from Imagine's scan):

Ohio
Indoctrinate
See You In Your Dreams
Tribulation
Kabbalah
The Wind Just Blew The Door Wide Open
Four Stix
All The Critics
Matte Kudasai
Caveman
Skeleton
Backdoor
Souls
Industrial
Donkey Bong
Uncover The Reason
Do You Wanna
Purple Rain
Hocus Pocus
Bang A Gong
---------------
Don't Know What

What a fantastic venue! Still sticks in our mind as some of the best food and nicest venues we have played so far. Turns out that it is run by a friend of mine from way back who retired and moved from DC to Roanoke and found himself board so he took over this place and now he runs the hell out of it. I don't know if we have ever been taken care of so wonderfully. At one point during dinner(one of the most amazing dinners I have every had the priviledge of eating, check out the menu just to get an idea)we had 5 waiters and waitresses around us serving us some of the most amazingly presented food I have ever seen. Good thing the food and the attention left us feeling very warm inside as it was a blisteringly COLD nite in Roanoke. Seems we have been having alot of that on this TouR. Sure hope it's better in Florida. LOL The audience was amazing and really into it. Seems to me like the shows where the audience is standing really get the balls out set. I think it's because the standing audiences can't help but dance to the funky groove which makes them quite excited and the band really feeds off of that NRG. What you give you get back ten-fold. Definitely the case with TR3.

VIDEO OF "INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX" FROM 202 MARKET:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy8eJAZOzN0

ENJOY!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  1:26:19 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
we had 5 waiters and waitresses around us serving us some of the most amazingly presented food I have ever seen

JEEZ, you guys are SOOO high maintainance.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  8:11:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I hope they had mac and cheese. I have to say, no matter how fancy food looks or tastes, there is nothing like good old mac and cheese.

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000