I hate DMB fans (TR Related...)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Baboonboy
Chatterbox

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2002 :  2:55:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Baboonboy's Homepage  Send Baboonboy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Even though I am one..

http://www.nancies.org/boards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95389

ICQ - 578587
AIM - bluwaterbaboon

SurferX
Chatterbox

USA
263 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2002 :  3:02:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit SurferX's Homepage  Send SurferX an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ahh...Good times...

--Zak
Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2002 :  5:54:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
you know, at first i felt bad about that other thread i posted involving tim when i was bitchy there, but now i dont. I dont care abuot others opinions, i think everyone is obligated to have an opinion in order to be justified as a human being and we as other humans are obligated to respect them. But DMB fans, in my personal experience, are vapid little aberclonies that just dont get it. It has nothing to do with music either. Someone said that they were happy they were seeing dmb in december at MSG due to the Al-Quida threats, and I said pretty much the only people that would be sad to see an arena of DMB fans blown up are Phish fans, and thats only cause it would fuck up their NYE show.

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2002 :  7:28:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm posting over there too, i was pretty pissed when i saw the thread! by the way i'm a phish fan...but not a stereotypical one, i just love the music!

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2002 :  8:29:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What's an aberclonie?

teri
Twittering about the DC adventure since Dec '09...
(Micro)Blog * Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2002 :  9:04:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've found it best to steer clear from those morons. Too much chlorine in those gene pools.

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2002 :  10:06:05 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
clowns.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2002 :  12:27:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
you see what happens when u give frat boys computers.

Remember, turn off your tv. Read.
Go to Top of Page

billee
Is Anybody Here?

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2002 :  02:33:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit billee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just got back from Tim's show here in Tampa. WOW! First time I have seen him. I was first exposed to Tim's music through DMB and looked over this thread today. Some dumb stuff was said. I have always been a big industrial and electronic music fan and found what I heard tonight to rival if not blow away some of the best industrial bands around. Tim displayed an immense talent not just on the guitar (which I was excpecting)but a total mastery of sound, sight, and thought. Which is what most industrial/electronic music is about. He played about 4 songs on acoustic and the rest was on electric, again WOW! I also had the opportunity to talk with Peter Prince after the show about the show, which was cool. He is a cool dude and his set rocked. That's about all I have to say. again WOW!
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2002 :  04:29:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Glad you enjoyed the show......and welcome aBOARD!

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2002 :  9:05:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dirtysloth

It's the newest word in my vocabulary. Good one Erich, I never heard that before.

Teri - you know.... those stereotypical abercrombie & fitch clothed people who find comfort in being like everyone else... at least that's how i took it

Very cool! I will add this word to my vocabulary immediately!

Also, welcome Billee!!

teri
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2002 :  1:46:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, just got back from freezing my ass off at a Penn State Michigan State football game. Awesome weekend!!

Anyway I read the original post at nancies as listed by Baboonboy and I didn't think it was all that bad. Just because he had a different opinion doesn't mean he's a jerk. If we all liked only one artist and everything that artist did it would be a pretty sad state.

I thought he had valid points, albeit I don't agree with what he said but at least there was reasoning behind his comments.

Maybe this will help to end some of the TIM/Dave talk that always goes around.

I went to the Trenton show not expecting anything and was totally blown away with the show....all of it, music and images! I think going to a show with a preconceived notion of what to expect is a mistake in and of itself, but certainly is human nature.

I just wonder why so many of you go over to the nancy boards in the first place when you know you are going to get pissed off. If you want Dave info go to Dave's site.

As far as the MSG Dave show goes, I hope its a great concert! The same goes for the Phish concert....even though so many fans were shut out of it due to the Ticketmaster fiasco!

Not trying to sound like Polyanna, but you know peace in the world starts with peace in ones soul. Get mad at people who mame and kill, get mad at people who are hurtful but don't waste your energies on the DMB fans at Nancies! Relax!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2002 :  3:15:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PJK

I just wonder why so many of you go over to the nancy boards in the first place when you know you are going to get pissed off. If you want Dave info go to Dave's site.

I used to go over there to help spread TR and stop some of the rumours that were spread around. But now since TIM has been doing this electric tour, there is very little need for the TR Task Force. Now I feel the same way as you.

Go to Top of Page

gossip1986
Is Anybody Here?

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2002 :  8:06:05 PM  Show Profile  Send gossip1986 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
everybody who's downing dmb fans should shut up. Im a huge dmb fan and a huge tim Fan. Im not an aberwhatever. I cant stand abercrombie clothing. I like dave not because its the cool thing to do. I like him because he is extremely talented and so are his band members. dmb is one of the most talented bands out right now. Its alright if you dislike them, thats fine. But dont blatantly disrespect them, because they earn respect by being amazingly talented and probably THE best live act there is nowadays. Thats just by 2 cents anyways.
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2002 :  8:09:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i like dave matthews, i like some dave fans, i just don't like the ignorant ones, especially some(not all though) that crop up at the nancies site.

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2002 :  10:14:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I don't like Abercrombie and Fitch either. Mainly because they stole the initials of the Air Force. Everytime I see one of their stupid ball caps, I wonder if it's another Air Force person, and then I realize that no -- it's an Aberclonie! (I'm just glad to have a name for them now.)

teri
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2002 :  10:25:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gossip1986

everybody who's downing dmb fans should shut up. Im a huge dmb fan and a huge tim Fan. Im not an aberwhatever. I cant stand abercrombie clothing. I like dave not because its the cool thing to do. I like him because he is extremely talented and so are his band members. dmb is one of the most talented bands out right now. Its alright if you dislike them, thats fine. But dont blatantly disrespect them, because they earn respect by being amazingly talented and probably THE best live act there is nowadays. Thats just by 2 cents anyways.

Woah woah! Who lit a fire under your ass? hehe.......no one here "blatantly disrespects" DMB. In fact, 90% of the people here are DMB fans.

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2002 :  10:48:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
everybody who's downing dmb fans should shut up.

Why? DMB fans consistently ruin what would otherwise be an amazing concert-going experience for those of us that are there for the MUSIC. Note that when people here say DMB fans, they mean the AVERAGE DMB fan... which in no way equates to ALL DMB fans. If you don't fit the mold... that's stunning! Good for you! Come to my house and I'll give you a fucking cookie. But for the love of christ lurkers, stop taking things so literally. Grasp the concept of exageration.

quote:
Im not an aberwhatever. I cant stand abercrombie clothing. I like dave not because its the cool thing to do.

See above...
If you think that this topic was aimed at EVERY DMB fan than please do society a favor and lock yourself in a closet.

quote:
dmb is one of the most talented bands out right now. Its alright if you dislike them, thats fine. But dont blatantly disrespect them, because they earn respect by being amazingly talented and probably THE best live act there is nowadays.

Either you've mistaken this place for nancies.com or you have some sort of low-level reading disorder. Look at the first post in this thread... read it. "I hate DMB fans (TR Related...) Even though I am one.." Sound it out if you must. What does it say? Get a clue... just about everyone who posts here are huge DMB fans as well. Where do you think most of us heard of TR?

quote:
Thats just by 2 cents anyways.

Save it. Put it in an IRA or something of more use.

Go to Top of Page

SpaceMonkey
Chatterbox

315 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2002 :  12:10:21 AM  Show Profile  Send SpaceMonkey an AOL message  Reply with Quote
All topics like this one blow. I wrote the rest of this post with the voice of the Comic Book Store Guy from The Simpsons in mind...I think it adds a lot to my argument...

I am almost positive that topics like this start because people make very rash statements before thinking about what they are saying and allowing their emotions to get the best of them. As a result, they piss off people and then have to waste more space defending what they said. With that said: mr2good, you my friend are a are poo-poo head.

In this case, mr2good says something to the effect of: I went to a TR show and it was terrible. I wish he played acoustic more. I hate the electric stuff and Tim can't sing. And thus a bitter feud ensues and eveybody throws in on it. All this guy had to say was: "I went to a TR show and was disappointed. I can appreciate his musicianship but this music dosn't appeal to me." Basically, reading this disgruntled guy's review made me think that he was just pissed that he didn't get to see what he wanted and therefore reacts to the performance on the whole as being lackluster, etc. How else can you justify a statement like this one?:

quote:
What was supposed to be a fun filled night of beautifull guitar playing turned into "Tim's Disturbing Views of Politics".

Hey Fluffy! I didn't happen to notice, but does it say anywhere on any TR-related propaganda that his performances are supposed to be a "fun filled night of beautiful guitar playing?" Why don't you just go ahead and rename the tour "Tim's Disturbing Views of Politics" as our friend mr2good was obviously misinformed about the nature of the show ("Chaos View?! What's that?!?!) and most likely deserves a full refund and a diaper change. Upon reading this moronic sentence I gave up all hope of mr2good redeeming himself and I quickly placed him at the top of my messageboard shitlist. Furthermore, I will now indulge myself in further ridicule of our friend mr2good.

In the case of being offended/stupified by the video show that's the icing on the cake for this guy if you ask me. I have no patience for people who don't let their perfectly functioning brains do what they should do: think! Note to all venues: please put a warning on the tickets next time so our friends like mr2good can avoid events that require sustained/heavy thinking. We don't want them passing out on the floor because they're were too many neurons wizzing around inside their heads (and a strobelight! The horror...). No doubt our friend was baffled by these unsettling images and spent the remainder of the night watching Friends reruns and eating mint chocolate chip ice cream with his girlfriend. This was most likely followed by bouts of love-making with mr2good's specially created compiliataion CD "D&T: The Love Songs" playing softly in the background. Afterwards, he gazed at the ceiling while lying in bed and wondered why TR had made his head hurt so badly with all those bad words and scary pictures and abandoned the graceful sound of the acoustic for the crunch of the electric.

The bottom line here is that there are better ways to say you do not like/understand/appreciate something than just ranting about how "insanely loud" (what a brilliantly stupid comment!) the concert was. Gimmie a friggin' break dude. Think about what you're saying before you go into a tirade next time, because you really did make yourself sound like a moron.

Worst post ever!

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2002 :  12:32:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DAMN.....I go to a Dead concert(The Other Ones) come back and this is still #1 on the TRelated Topics!

Surely someone has something worthwhile to say on another topic that's about Tim!!! Can we PLEASE cut the crap now?????

This is the official end to this thread......yes? Please!!!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

DMBFanSJ
Try A Little Harder

78 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2002 :  03:55:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Someone said that they were happy they were seeing dmb in december at MSG due to the Al-Quida threats, and I said pretty much the only people that would be sad to see an arena of DMB fans blown up are Phish fans, and thats only cause it would fuck up their NYE show."

Erich -

Your comments are so out of line I can't believe you have any friends on this board. I will be at both MSG shows and I have a lot of friends that will be as well, so you should watch your mouth.
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2002 :  07:07:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I woke up early...went to bed late so maybe I am just on sleep deficit but I realize I just don't want to be part of all this so I guess my lifetime post count will end at whatever it is now.

To those of you who have had wothwhile things to say, thanks, to the rest who can't find time to say a good thing about anyone, take the stick out of your butt and look at what's really important in life. Stop sweating the small stuff!!!!!!!!!!! This is the heart of what's wrong in the world. People can't accept differences without getting angry. I can't believe such animosity comes out of music fans.....music is supposed to be universal. I may not like all music but I certainly don't expect all people to like what I like.

I am sticking to listening to Tim's music and staying off the boards. I don't need the shit that's going on here. For people who don't like the Nancies boards, it sure is sounding just like them here. Bye

Go to Top of Page

SpaceMonkey
Chatterbox

315 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2002 :  10:54:48 AM  Show Profile  Send SpaceMonkey an AOL message  Reply with Quote
PJK, I feel your pain and I admit I have never laid into anybody so heavily, but I like to equate threads like this to those big scabs I used to get on my knees playing sports as a kid...they look like hell but they sure are fun to pick at!

Worst thread ever!

Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2002 :  11:22:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DMBFanSJ

Your comments are so out of line I can't believe you have any friends on this board. I will be at both MSG shows and I have a lot of friends that will be as well, so you should watch your mouth.

glad you think so

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2002 :  1:29:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Now look what we did! We couldn't let the thread go and we're losing PJK. Quite a loss!! (Fluffy's gonna be bummed -- he likes having other "old people" on the board.)

Can we just drop it now?

Come back Pam!!!

teri
Go to Top of Page

Baboonboy
Chatterbox

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2002 :  1:54:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Baboonboy's Homepage  Send Baboonboy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We can all get along again.. T+D 3/13/99 Version 2.0 is now up at the etree archive! http://webdev.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=1368

ICQ - 578587
AIM - bluwaterbaboon
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2002 :  3:48:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PJK

DAMN.....I go to a Dead concert(The Other Ones) come back and this is still #1 on the TRelated Topics!

Surely someone has something worthwhile to say on another topic that's about Tim!!! Can we PLEASE cut the crap now?????

This is the official end to this thread......yes? Please!!!

How was the show? i'm just now getting into the Dead, and just realized they played(the other ones) like about an hour
away from me, and i missed it.

Go to Top of Page

Baboonboy
Chatterbox

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2002 :  4:10:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Baboonboy's Homepage  Send Baboonboy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Whats the draw to the dead? I have tried to listen to them in the past...downloaded live shows, listened to studio stuff... I just don't get it...

ICQ - 578587
AIM - bluwaterbaboon
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2002 :  7:06:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
HOPE ALL WILL TAKE THE TIME TO READ THIS, IT IS DIFFERENT FROM THE ONE POSTED ON THE FRIENDS SIDE OF THE BOARD ALTHOUGHT ALOT OF IT IS THE SAME.

Hey Pam, I had read the post that got you so upset and I was trying to figure out what I could say to make you stay. Glad it didn't come to that. Take that stuff with a grain of salt. Everyone has there opinions and luckily we are adult enuf around here to let them say their piece even when we don't agree. I know it turned into petty bickering and name calling but sometimes that happens. I did want to comment on the post in question, but feared bringing it back to the top. I was afraid it might send you over the edge. HEHE I read all 6 pages of the link provided and found his review to be top notch, even though he did not like the show. Alot of the post comments were very good and I think if you actually read it all and read inbetween the name calling and such there is alot of good info about TR in those comments. I think if nothing else, the folks at nancies.org got a great review of TR's current musical direction and hopefully the ones expecting more acoustic will not show up and be let down. Let them wait for an acoustic tour. I don't think the guy every said he hated TR, just didn't like the current direction. He would rather hear acoustic. Well TR plays that as well and I hope he will attend and ACOUSTIC show in the future and find it more to his liking. I am sorry he did not know beforehand that this was a prodominantly ELECTRIC tour. It was advertised as such everywhere. I think some people just don't take the time to investigate what they are going to see, and in the case of TR, that is very important if you only like 1 of his styles. Overall I was not unhappy with the thread, although the name calling gets a little tedious. As I have said many TIMes before, everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if I do not agree, and I can also garner positive thoughts from a negative review. Luckily he stated very eloquently the reasons he did not like the show and I could read between the lines and see that his reasons for not liking it were exactly the things that would draw me to it. Sometimes a negative review tells me more than a positive one. Keep and open mind and it is amazing what you can discover. Some of his comments were off the mark, like the ones about it lacking creativity, but again those are personal opinions and I still would reserve judgement on something like that for myself. I recieved a wonderful review of the show in C-ville from Mike Sokolowski. He is in a position to know much more about TR's creativity than the casual listener. I will include some his comments here:

Quotes from Mike Sokolowski after seeing the C-ville show of ChaosView:

Had a FANTASTIC time last night. I had to leave just prior to end of
set because I had been there two hours and was worried about leaving Mary alone any longer. The video/visual stuff was beautiful, well synched, and really powerful. Really top notch -- elegant, no bullshit. Kudos to whoever is working on it.

The virtual rhythm section kicks f*$kin' ass, man!Substituting? Hell it was better than live! It's really inspired me to view the drum machine stuff I'm working with right now not so much as demo scratch tracks, but as keepers. Of course, TR is one badass drum programmer -- sheesh.! That shit was perfect. And great sound quality, too.

As I was telling Tim Roux, the really old TR3 tunes were slamming me with many memories of crazed energy, psychedelic weirdness, coke parties,amazing swirling women dripping sex in a Dionysian Dance Frenzy. What a time that was. Like walking into Calhoun's in Harrisonburg circa '84 high on shrooms and immediately enveloped by the haunting strains of "Uncover the Reason." The audience energy back then really helped to put the music way
over the top. (I heard the Steve Kimock Band a few months ago, and that was the closest thing I've ever experienced to those early TR3 shows, only without the killer songwriting and musical twists and turns. But that guy can seriously play guitar and his drummer, Rodney Holmes, is just ridiculous.)

Cut to 2002 where the audience is weighed more to young dudes --many of whom weren't even alive when some of those tunes were being wailed upon by Ron Pruitt and Jos amid candles and Tim in robes, etc -- standing quietly around, very few people dancing. So different -- really interesting how it has changed over time.

All that said, I'm still so impressed by the current direction. It really is the logical, mature evolution of this stuff. I can see more clearly what your vision for the rhythm section always was. That shit last night was SO tight, articulate, and sounding so good, I had a permanent smile going. Very proud of you, Tim. I was really inspired. Thank you.

So you see, 2 visions of the same show. One sees the creativity, the other sees it as nothing new. It is all in your personal perspective. I hold no grudge or animosity to anyone who doesn't like the show. I just hope we find alot more people who do. Not everyone is going to like everything. To each his own.

Glad you are back and hope you stick around for a good long TIMe.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

SpaceMonkey
Chatterbox

315 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2002 :  12:15:08 PM  Show Profile  Send SpaceMonkey an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
the really old TR3 tunes were slamming me with many memories of crazed energy, psychedelic weirdness, coke parties,amazing swirling women dripping sex in a Dionysian Dance Frenzy. What a time that was. Like walking into Calhoun's in Harrisonburg circa '84 high on shrooms and immediately enveloped by the haunting strains of "Uncover the Reason." The audience energy back then really helped to put the music way
over the top.

Can we bring these traditions back?
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2002 :  12:30:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't believe I went over here and into this.....but I am cool with it this time. Went right to the bottom.....hehehe.

Answer to SpaceMonkey.....Damn....don't I wish! Ofcourse we could always try to bring it back, eh?????

Go to Top of Page

SpaceMonkey
Chatterbox

315 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2002 :  12:51:02 PM  Show Profile  Send SpaceMonkey an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You want us! You need us! Don't hide your feelings!
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2002 :  3:12:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think if you reread it you will see that that might be what Mike S is trying to say. HEHE I think he was observing how things have changed and was longing, maybe a little, for the days of yore. HEHE

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2002 :  3:15:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh I knew what he meant hehehe!!!

Go to Top of Page

SpaceMonkey
Chatterbox

315 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2002 :  10:47:44 PM  Show Profile  Send SpaceMonkey an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Fluffy, I know there's been permission granted to copy Light Up Ahead and that Tim will most likely not rerelease any of the old stuff, but is there any hope of resurrecting the first two TR3 albums?

And before I forget, back to these days of yore you speak of....

quote:
crazed energy, psychedelic weirdness, coke parties,amazing swirling women dripping sex in a Dionysian Dance Frenzy. What a time that was. Like walking into Calhoun's in Harrisonburg circa '84 high on shrooms and immediately enveloped by the haunting strains of "Uncover the Reason." The audience energy back then really helped to put the music way
over the top.

...any hope of these days being resurrected?

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2002 :  11:19:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I really doubt that either will come to pass. The return to the decadent days is more likely to happen. HEHE

The other 2 TR3 CD's are out there in the world, I am sure TR would have no problem with someone who has them burning you copies. I think the first one is just called TR3, and I am pretty sure it was a cassette only release. Shifting Currents I have seen people bring to shows and get autographed so I know they came on CD at one TIMe. Finding people with copies would be the hard part, but I am sure TR would have no problems with you getting burned copies if you can find them. Who knows, maybe one day TR will be big enuf that someone wants to rerelease them for him. As an independent artist, TR pays for the pressing of his CD's himself, so I think he would much rather put his money into pressing new stuff than into repressing old efforts that he probably really isn't even happy with at this point in his career. Who knows, maybe they could find their way into the box set if that ever happens. If the box set ever does happen, I will be sure to suggest it to TR that he should include those gems.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

SpaceMonkey
Chatterbox

315 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2002 :  11:39:38 PM  Show Profile  Send SpaceMonkey an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I can understand being independent and wanting to go ahaead with the new stuff rather than rerelease anything...I'm sure that's as much for business reasons as for artistic exploration...can anybody hook me up with these discs?
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2002 :  2:39:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Calhoun's in harrisonburg is like 40 minutes from my house!! i've seen awesome jazz groups there before, with the guitarist Sam wilson!! Oh my god! calhouns!!

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2002 :  7:02:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So kewel living close to Calhoun's VWF! I think the shrooms had something to do with the crowd energy, thus making me wonder if in reality the music was really over the top???? Oh, who cares, it felt like it was that's what matters!

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2002 :  3:38:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that's so weird, because calhouns(now at least) is justa nice fancy restaurant where the groups play on the rooftop to a small porch set-up. i would never connect that and shrooms together! ah well, i guess things change o'er time.

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2002 :  6:42:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess things do change, still it sounds like a great place to go to hear music. You said you've seen awesome jazz groups there...I think that is pretty kewl. Here in Philly the place to go for Jazz is Orliebs Haus. Tuesday nights is jam night and people bring instruments and jam....very kewl!!!

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2002 :  9:24:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At calhoun's there aren't too many "big name" performers. you're not gonna go in and see chick corea or wynton marsalis, but the groups they have are just fucking awesome! the best was the scott trayer trio with sam wilson. sax, drums, upright bass(scott trayer), and guitar(sam wilson). sam and scott are the hands down best guitar/bass players i have ever feasted my eyes upon, just amazing stuff. sam will probably go on to bigger stuff as will scott. Royce cambell played with them once, and sam blew that guy away!! royce is apparently some jazz icon, but i didn't think he was as good.

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2002 :  9:35:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually thought I heard of the Scott Trayer Trio but maybe it is just one of those names that sounds like I heard them before. I sure would like to hear them someTIMe.

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2002 :  4:05:24 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I remember a time when most DMB fans were cool, back like maybe 5 years ago, and before that. now it seem most of them are like 12 and 13, and DMB are more or less looked at as a flash in the pan like all the rest.

Their current crop of fans dont seem to realize that DMB has been around for over 10 years and started from nothing as nobodys and earned all they have today. And their current crop of fans is very close minded. I have no problem totally ignoring a 12 year old DMB fan like that originaly poster who doesn't like Tim's electric stuff. Fuck him and fuck all the close minded people in the DMB camp.

DMB is still cool, their fans are not.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2002 :  7:38:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PJK

I actually thought I heard of the Scott Trayer Trio but maybe it is just one of those names that sounds like I heard them before. I sure would like to hear them someTIMe.

If you live in the northern Virginia area then there is a good chance of that, they play a lot around there. awesome jazz trio, def. look em up if you can.

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2002 :  11:47:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't live there but have been through a lot....must have been when I was traveling through.

I am going to try to catch one of their shows someTIMe.Thanks for the info.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2002 :  12:12:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I wished desperately hard for this topic to drop off of this page. It seems that is has sparked a totally different conversation that keeps it at the top for anyone who stops by to see. I have taken the liberty of transferring the info about the new topic to a NEW thread. Here is the link:

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2835

If you would like to continue the conversation, please do so there so that this tasteless topic can drop from TRelated page. EveryTIMe I open TRelated section, this damn post seems to be back at the top. Let it drop. THANX

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

kitp
Is Anybody Here?

Togo
1 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  11:17:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would just like to say one thing.

I am a nancies.org user, and I frequent that site everyday. It is a well-moderated, and 99% of the time a perfectly normal, sane group of people that just like talking about music. Obviously, there are the always going to be annoying people, but this is true on EVERY site.

One thing that is bugging me is the out-ward dis-respect for DMB fans. Most of us are your average music loving concert go-er, just looking to have a good time. There are the occasional vociferous groups of fans that like to yell alot, but that makes up such a small portion of the total fan-base.

Stereotyping DMB fans like that is very rude. Some of you may have your personal stories about how a DMB fan ruined your concert experience or what have you, but I have gone to over 30 DMB concerts and not ONE has been tainted by the so-called "frat boy dmb jerks".

As a DMB fan, I was shocked to come onto a TR site and see this bashing. Over on nancies, despite what you may think, there are TONS of TR supporters and fans, and I think, as DM and TR have done, these two fan-bases should not be fighting over annoying fans or ruined concerts. The fact is I love TR. "Hopeful Heresey" was one of my favorite songs, and I own many D&T shows because of TR's brilliance.

In conclusion, I just wish we could bring the end to the chapter of fan-insults and site-bashing. There is a overwhelming percentage of nancies that have a HUGE respect for TR and for anyone who enjoys his music. And I don't doubt the same is true at this site.

Thanks,

-Kit
Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2002 :  01:08:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
well, kit, im glad you can see past all of that stuff to what really matters. Ive been to 10 DMB shows, 5 of which this year, and most of the fans i met there were pretty bottom of the barell idiotic. Maybe i just attract them, but there comes a point where "stereotype" isnt hte correct term to use, according to your own perception. If every person you met who was of a certain whatever acted a particular way to you, then its not stereotyping when your opinion of that type of person is negative.

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2002 :  07:28:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well kitp, THANX for bringing this sore-ass, pain in my side, conversation back to the top. I really appreciate it. I have tried very hard to make it go away. If you had not noticed in the post just prior to yours:
quote:
Fluffy
Alien Abductee
USA
7375 Posts
Posted - 12/02/2002 : 12:12:03 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wished desperately hard for this topic to drop off of this page.

.............so that this tasteless topic can drop from TRelated page. EveryTIMe I open TRelated section, this damn post seems to be back at the top. Let it drop. THANX

In case my words escaped you, not EVERYONE here is bashing or even interested in bashing nancies.org. I have gone along way to make the peace and help people to see that not everyone at nancies.org are as they sometimes describe. If you had taken the TIMe to look around B4 you brought this back to the top and reopen a festering, infected wound of a topic, you would have seen posts like this one:

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2843

I hope you will take the TIMe to read it, it was posted 3 days before you posted yours. Hell, I am not even a DMB fan but I am fan of people just getting along. EVERYONE in the ENTIRE WORLD.

kitp said:
quote:
Over on nancies, despite what you may think, there are TONS of TR supporters and fans

Despite what WHO might think? I think if you take the TIMe to read the link I provided you will see that some over here agree with you. Thanx for lumping us all together the way you criticized us for lumping all DMB fans together. Is this a double standard or just hypocrisy. Anyway, check out the site before you start slinging insults as I have done in the post listed above. It would be greatly appreciated if the world didn't make generalizations. I have mentioned on numerous occasions by problem with sociology, and this is a perfect example. Stereotyping, categorization and generalization. The world is made up of individuals, I choose to look at it them that way, I wish everyone else would, but now I am getting off on a tangent, and as we all know, that can be very, very bad!

I would ask that if nancies.org what to come over here and bash or if TR fans from here want to go over there and bash, DON'T!! If you don't have something nice to say, SHUT THE FUCK UP!! That's what my mom used to always say. It would be wonderful if we could all live in peace and harmony and stop bashing one another about personal preferences that SHOULD be bringing us together. MUSIC!!! It would also be wonderful if this topic would go fucking DIE!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

rhymsesthecat
Try A Little Harder

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2002 :  3:24:06 PM  Show Profile  Send rhymsesthecat an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i was telling my girlfriend about this last night
lots of "Dave Fans" dont even like the music, they just think it is the cool thing to do
i think dave is great
i think tim is even better
but its all about the music not about the frat boys at the shows

rhymsesthecat
Go to Top of Page

DMBFanSJ
Try A Little Harder

78 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2002 :  8:12:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think they can really be compared, because they're trying to do 2 very different things. Everyone has an opinion, but there's no sense in telling someone A is better than B because what is true for you may not be true for them.
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2002 :  10:06:45 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm just glad that this thread got a few lurkers to come out of hiding, actually register, and actually post...even if it was only once....but we're used to that.....

Adam
Go to Top of Page

rhymsesthecat
Try A Little Harder

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2002 :  2:13:06 PM  Show Profile  Send rhymsesthecat an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Baboonboy

Even though I am one..

http://www.nancies.org/boards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95389

i hate most dave fans and i am a huge dave fan
tim is awsome

rhymsesthecat
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: