dmb/tim fan (DMB haters? I think NOT)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

acsmith
Is Anybody Here?

2 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  10:29:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to admit, I came to this website wanting to learn more of Tim Reynolds because I downloaded a lot of Dave and Tim concerts from earlier this year. I truly enjoyed Tim's playing,it is in short phenominal, and I realize it is lightyears ahead of Dave, but what I didn't realize was number 1, how loyal Tim fans were, and number 2 the animosity towards Dave fans. I feel a little defensive as I enjoy Dave immensly and feel the need to defend his fans. Granted, "fashionable stoners" makes up a large part of his core audience, but there is a small portion of fans that truly enjoy his bands musical talents and his lyrical ability. And I think if Tim is willing to spend so much time with Dave, then he must feel Dave's music is credible. Maybe I took some of your posts the wrong way, but I hope if you would like to expose more people to Tim's music, you will maybe be a little more tolerant to those of us ignorant to Tim's music as a solo artist, but willing to make an effort to find out more about him, not as Dave's eccentric sidekick, but as Tim Reynolds amazing solo artist.

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  11:34:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Welcome aBOARD acsmith! Glad you stopped by. I am afraid you have prolly taken alot of the posts out of context. Keep in mind alot of the folks that have been posting here have been doing so for quite a while and have had to endure alot of slanderous remarks about TR that generally stem from most folks lack of knowledge about him. There is a general sense that alot of folks only like TR because of his affiliation with Dave and at TIMes I think that tends to put people here on the defensive. We are always receptive to new fans of TR but the usual, casual stopper-by generally asks something like, say "When is TR gonna tour with Dave again." Which is a fair question but is definitely more suited to a DMBoard, but to the hardened souls around here who have to read comments about TR like "he is just a fast machine, he plays with NO FEELING", I think it's safe to say some people feel like folks are attacking something they hold dear. If you have ever taken a psychology class I am sure you are familiar with the "mob mentality" vs "the small community". The TR fanbase being much smaller than the DMB community tends to make us a more tightknit, protective family. We have had to endure for years the slings and arrows of criticism from alot of DMB fans who know little to nothing about TR except his work with DMB. We work hard to spread the knowledge about TR that he is his own individual artist and not a "sidekick" to Dave. Yes he plays with Dave, but so does Warren Haynes, yet noone expects Govt Mule to sound like Dave or DMB when they go to Govt Mule shows. The problem is that Warren was known as his own artist before his affiliation with Dave. TR got most of his recognition because of his affiliation with Dave. Therefore I think the appearance to DMB fans is quite different for TR and Warren. Alot of us here see TR the way DMB fans think of Warren. We think of TR as his own artist who someTIMes plays with Dave. Yes, the bulk of the people who frequent our board will all tell you that they discovered TR thru Dave, but they have risen above the affiliation to see TR as a solo artist. Most of the folks here are even DMB fans. I think it's safe to say that we don't hate DMB fans(I guess I really shouldn't speak for everyone, but since most here are DMB fans I think it's safe to say they don't hate them)we hate the ingnorance of SOME DMB fans. Imagine for a minute that there was a band bigger than DMB(like that's possible LOL). So now you have a band with a bigger fanbase than DMB making the DMB camp "the small community" and suddenly all those folks started stopping by the DMBoards and slagging Dave. You mean to tell me you don't think the DMB community would jump to Dave's defense? Well that's what happens here on a much smaller scale. We are very defensive of the thing that we hold dear. Of course I can't speak directly to your comment about "the animosity towards Dave fans" as I don't know what you read that gave you that idea, but you must keep in mind that alot of folks around here have been here for a long TIMe and I think there is a frustration level that has built up with having to level the same arguments and answer the same questions about TR & Dave over and over. So yes, it does not surprise me that you may have read something here that gave you that impression, but for a true picture you would have to go back and read every post in the history of the board to see what folks have had to put up with over the years and then you might understand why there is this level of frustration. Of course I can only speak for myself when I say this, but I do not hate Dave fans and I am not even a Dave or DMB fan. I also realize that a large percentage of TR's fanbase comes from that camp and have fought to get people to give them a break and try to educate instead of attacking interlopers. I cannot control the actions of everyone on this board and nor would I want too, and at TIMes I even have to ask people to take a step back and examine how they respond to visitors, but unfortunately after what alot of folks have been thru here and on other boards they are really on the defensive. There is also an element of "this is the TR message board" if you want to talk about Dave go to one of those message boards. I don't think that means that people here hate Dave or DMB, I think it just means they are here to talk about TR and it seems he is constantly overshadowed by the cloud of Dave and DMB. Am I making any sense or am I just coming across as pretetious? LOL

Anyway, I hope you stick around and you will find that if you are TR fan it can be quite a friendly little community. I think it is safe to assume that almost everyone here got into TR thru Dave(with the exception of me LOL) and they all consider themselves Dave and/or DMB fans, but around here they also consider themselves TR fans and most of the regulars on the board consider themselves TR fans above Dave and/or DMB fans.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2004 :  12:14:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am sure I will find myself frustrated and unfulfilled as I always am with these topics since it seems to come up at least once a year and I am left to type lengthy comments answering people who rarely come back to see my response. I hope that is not the case with acsmith who truly seems to want to get to know TR better.

By posting this I am hoping to make it a little more clear to you what some of us have had to endure here and why we get a little defensive. Please take the TIMe to read these in full and I think you will understand a bit better and maybe you won't feel so defensive. For the record, WE DO NOT HATE DMB FANS! We despise the ignorance exhibited by some DMB fans when they try and talk about TR, an artist they seem to know little about aside from his work with DMB. Wouldn't you get mad if a LED ZEPPELIN fan started trying to tell you why DMB sucked. You would look at him and say "You are a Led Zep fan, what do you know about DMB?" Obviously, very little. Well thats the way we feel when folks start talking about TR when all they know is his output with DMB which is a drop in the bucket compared to his total output of music. If I hated DMB fans I certainly wouldn't post TR's TouR dates on their websites inviting them to discover TR as a solo artist. I wouldn't go to great lengths to disspell rumours and misinformation about him on the DMBoards and post interviews hoping that they will one day understand him better and I certainly wouldn't take the TIMe to answer all the comments and posts made by the one TIMe visitors with a chip on their shoulder. It is just not the case and it drives me crazy when someone stops by and just accuses us of hating DMB fans. It is not nearly as shallow as they make it out to be. I have gone along way to keeping the PEACE on this board when people start bashing DMB fans. I think it's kind of ironic that I(the non-DMB) fan is the one usually defending them.

Please click on the links in the threads linked below so you can see what we are up against and you will hopefully quickly understand why folks around here can be so defensive.

First topic to peruse:

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2785

Please keep in mind that the above post is just ONE of the MANY TIMes I have had to address this issue. You will notice in the posts below that my good friend Waldo who runs nancies.org chimes in quite a bit. I think he would be one of the first to tell you that TimReynolds.com is not a bunch of DMB haters. He sees what gets said on the boards about TR and is usually right there defending him along with us. He and I have built up quite a relationship over the years and he is a big supporter of TR as a solo artist. Some of these might help you to understand why the level of frustration is so high and then maybe you will understand better why it might appear to you that there is some animosity here.

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4087

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3116

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3516

This one is a special fave of mine since someone actually came here to bitch about the Dave & Tim TouR as if it has anything to do with TR. When you read it, all of it, you will understand much better.

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3216

Hopefully after reading all that you understand a bit better where we stand on the matter and you still want to get to know TR a bit better. A great place to start is this thread:

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2463

I can't imagine there are very many questions about TR you might have that aren't answered somewhere in this thread. Most straight from the "goats" mouth. ENJOY!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

acsmith
Is Anybody Here?

2 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2004 :  12:53:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your very diplomatic response, you handled my ignorant assumptions about TR fans quite well. In my very uneducated opinion, TR is not just a "fast machine", but truly a man with a fantastic understanding of music. I've been listening to some of his work and I'm blown away. More so than I was when I first heard him. You all have a great musical talent and I think I may soon become as defensive about him as you all. Please, excuse my ignorance.
Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2004 :  01:19:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
No Worries my friend!! Glad I could clear it up for you. It sucks that there has to be this rift between music fans. Music is supposed to bring people together.

As you can see since I first posted to this thread I have spent a considerable amount of TIMe scouring our board for the numerous examples where this subject has come up. I hope it helps to clarify why we might seem defensive. Unfortunately we feel attacked on a fairly regular basis. I did find a few more if you are interested. These are some of the best examples of my trying to be the peacemaker in some dire situations:

Fluffy, the peacemaker LOL:

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2843

Fluffy confused, but still doesn't HATE DMB fans:

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5213

FLUFFY ATTACKED:

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3140

FLUFFY DEFENDING DMB fans(who'da thunk it?)
And for those interested, this is a great one and also the origin and original post where Silky coined The TR Task Force:

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1541

Hope I didn't appear to defensive in responding, but if you notice the dates of all these posts it is well covered territory and it feels like every 6 months or so I have to address it all over again to a new visitor. Once again, welcome aBOARD acsmith, I hope you stick around for a good long TIMe.

PS:It will be nice to be able to reference this thread the next TIMe someone stops by and says the same thing yet again. Only next TIMe hopefully acsmith will be able to jump to our defense. Can't we all just get along?!! LOL

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2004 :  02:08:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fluffy, you rule. I think you summed up everything anyone could say.

Welcome acsmith, hope you stick around and check out Tim's stuff. I wish everyone who stopped by, was as open as you were to checking out his solo stuff. Head over to www.archive.org, in the live music section and download a TR show or two. 2003 & 2004 have been amazing touring years, but there is no bad stuff.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2004 :  12:12:58 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
No one here can ever express things as well as Fluffy. That was a great explanation.

Personally, I have been into DMB since 1993 or 1994. Dave Matthews' playing was why I got the old Gibson classical guitar missing 2 strings out of my parents basement and brought it back to playability and learned to play "dancing nancies". I was never really into music before I heard Ants Marching on the radio, and Under The Table and Dreaming was the first CD I ever owned.

Dave's playing inspired me to learn all of his songs, and do extensive searching for DMB related stuff online. In doing so, I discovered this "guy" Dave played with named Tim Reynolds, and the fact that Tim had his own albums out. The first album of Tim's that I owned was Sanctuary. This album was responsible for getting me into A LOT of different music that, at my age, I should have already been into; Metallica, AC/DC, Al DiMeola, Wes Montgomery, SRV to name a few. Tim's playing on Sanctuary, as well as later on the DMB release Before These Crowded Streets inspired me to go out and buy a Les Paul and learn to play electric. While listening to Tim, his diverse tastes and styles have gotten me into so many different bands/artist. My CD collection before I "discovered" Tim was probably between 10 and 12 CDs. Now I own over 200 "offical" releases and countless CDRs with burned music.

I've always been into music, but I credit Tim with opening the door to so many musical worlds that I never knew existed.

So basically, Dave Matthews got me into guitar, and peaked my interest in music, but Tim Reynolds opened the flood gates of my creativity and interest in all styles and genres.

I will always credit Dave Matthews with inspiring me to learn to play guitar. But Tim Reynolds made me want to broaden my musical horizons and keep learning and improving my playing.

I will always be a DMB fan. Their fans do turn me off sometimes. Both with their ignorance of Tim, and SOME of their close mindedness to other types of music.

This does NOT apply to you acsmith. The fact that you are on this board proves that. But there are some DMB fans that are just as quick to tell me that Metallica sucks, as Metallica fans will say the same of DMB. A lot of "die hard" fans become unconsciously close minded to other types of music, this is definitely NOT unique to DMB fans.

Personally, I love all music. I am a MUSIC fan, not only a DMB fan, a Metallica fan, or a TR fan. I just believe that TR "gets" music the same way I do, and that is why his playing transcends space, time, and feeling to become something more than any other artist can produce in my opinion.

So yeah...lets change the title of this thread to the "long ass post thread"

Adam
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2004 :  2:34:35 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
if you're ignorant you shouldn't be making assumptions at all.

i never understood the animosity towards dave matthews fans here myself from time to time. sometimes it seems like you can't mention his name without getting raped right through your pants.

the problem is we all this preconception of a dave matthews band. that in and of itself isn't bad, but once you start using generalizations in a one on one basis, there's problems. for instance, i assume all dave matthews fans are fashionalbe potheads, frat boys, and their anorexic blonde girlfriends. when take that group as a whole, that's what i see. and it's hard, especially over the internet, not to put that one face on whoever you're talking to. somethings like "he's just a fast machine" are hard to excuse, though.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2004 :  6:36:58 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's true. There are a lot of assumptions made on people by what music they listen to. I mean, a close minded fan of a more mellow artist like Elton John or Barry Manilow, would probably assume that any fan of Metallica has tatoos, piercings, a mullet and rides a Harley. I am a huge Metallica fan, and metal fan in general. My hair is very short, I have no piercings, tattoos, and do not own a motorcycle and never have, I'm 22 years old. Then there's my mom, she DOES have a Metallica tattoo, but otherwise does not fit that description. She is 55 years old, and again she definitely does NOT fit the mold of a stereotypical Metallica fan.

I'm sure there are Metallica and metal fans that fit that mold, but there are tons that do not. A band like Metallica, or DMB are gaining fans every day, from 12 to 55, I'm sure of it.

I know for a fact tons of DMB fans smoke pot, drink a lot, ARE in frats and have anorexically thin girlfriends (I have seen them at shows) that are also fans, of Crash anyway. I, on the otherhand, have never smoked pot, I drink moderately (a beer with dinner occasionally), and I am very open minded about music. Those stereotypical DMB fans seem to be the ones at TR shows yelling for Stream and Chatterbox, if not Crash and Ants.

Basically ever band, and genre, has its stereotypical fan base that may give the fan base a whole a bad rap. But there are fans like all of us here, that just love the music, no matter who is making it.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  12:55:30 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
haha, it's exactly the same with me, except i hate metallica.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Captain Petersburgh
Yak Addict

Canada
779 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2004 :  6:15:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Captain Petersburgh an AOL message  Reply with Quote
se i mostly don't like metallica. especially new metallica. but i listen to them before my races to help me get more pumped up.

A nice word and a gun will get you alot farther than just a nice word
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2004 :  7:53:09 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
so you like the older speed metal stuff? not a speed metal fan for the most part. but their orchestral stuff's not bad.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

StarryNightDiva
Is Anybody Here?

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2009 :  02:26:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit StarryNightDiva's Homepage  Reply with Quote
WOW Fluffy, that shit is unbelievable...I swear I was laughing my ass off at your reply, and then before I even got 1/2 way through, my head started to hurt.... I must commend you on the work you do here, because, you, my dear, have a mind like a steel trap~! Keep on keepin on man~! Remind me NEVER to get into an argument with you~ <----I'm actuallly laughing out loud again~!!

"I have learnt silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to these teachers..."
Kahlil Gibran 1883-1931
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  11:14:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I never look at dates anymore, then I got to Captain Petersburgh and realized how fuckin' old this thread is.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  12:43:25 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
starrynightdiva, hrw, this has been be truly epic necropost.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

SpaceMonkey
Chatterbox

315 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  11:24:04 AM  Show Profile  Send SpaceMonkey an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hilarious. I got caught doing the same thing HRW, didn't even notice the dates.
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  11:57:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Bringin' it back, Battle of Evermore style.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

muldercat
Is Anybody Here?

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2009 :  1:21:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was first drawn to Tim's talent through watching the Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds Blu-ray DVD at Radio City. I'm very impressed and looking forward to learning more about Tim. I'm sure I'll be back with millions of questions but I just wanted to say Hello to all of you.

Are there any of you here that plan to attend the DMB show in KC 9/30/09? I'm planning on attending and would love to meet more Tim fans.

Millissa

freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose.--KK
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2009 :  1:44:23 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm not heading down to KC, but I'll be in Des Moines on 9/26.
Go to Top of Page

muldercat
Is Anybody Here?

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2009 :  2:01:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GG,
Thanks for the reply. :)
Millissa

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2009 :  2:47:33 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I wish I could hit up more than the one concert, but I'm looking forward to only a 2 hour drive rather than the 4-6 hours I usually have.
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2009 :  01:01:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sadly, I am not even sure if I can even make Alpine this year.

Anyways, welcome to the boards Muldercat. I was drawn to Tim by Live @ Luther College when I got it in 1999. I then just went ape-shit about his solo stuff. I am still a huge DMB fan, but I am now a huge Tim fan as well.

Not communicating can hurt more than any word that can be said -

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

muldercat
Is Anybody Here?

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2009 :  3:07:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the warm welcome. :)

Go to Top of Page

jsemon2
Yak Addict

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2009 :  6:56:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit jsemon2's Homepage  Send jsemon2 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i'd like to throw my two sense in. it's not dmb fanbase we tr fans typically run into problems with. it's the forum, epenis problem almost all online communities have. it's self-proclaimed know-it-alls of the online fanbase that cause TR fans grief.

in all honestly, the dmb online fanbase at times lashes out on their non-online fans that go and buy albums like "stand up" and yell out requests during shows for songs like Dreamgirl. this fanbase has no idea that their is an online following, that you can download every live show dmb has done. but they're dmb fans just as much as the online guy posted his love for the band. those boards keep track of what online users are going to what shows and if you added them all up it maybe at most a few hundred people. now put that in perspective of how many people actually attend the shows and you can get an idea of how "big" this problem really is because it's really a small issue if you make it a numbers game.

so take that into account when you think about everything discussed "online". all those people claiming dmb was falling apart was a very some percentage of people. the people claiming stand up sucked was very small. all those horrible albums still released as number 1 records on the billboard charts. not just any band can do that, and an online community sure as hell can't make that happen either.

hell, i know there are threads out there discussing why TR wasn't playing with DMB for so many years, and carter hating what he added to the music as the root of it. the amount of shit goes on. not until last summer when the band was in the shitter and people were on their last straw with the band's shit music and tim came on the road with them did you start seeing a happier dmb forum fanbase take in what tim was doing for the band. but i still believe that's all the dmb forum fanbase enjoy about tim, what he adds to dmb. people still don't get what he does on his on work, either solo or what his band.

to me, tim w/dmb is a watered down Tim. so remember that next TIMe you go to a TR show featuring DMB show and think, "wow, tim is really good".

OUT FOR LUNCH
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2009 :  10:13:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jsemon2

. . . in all honestly, the dmb online fanbase at times lashes out on their non-online fans that go and buy albums like "stand up" and yell out requests during shows for songs like Dreamgirl . . .

Man what are you smoking? Most of DMB's fanbase (I'll say 70%) despises Stand Up and songs like Dreamgirl. They despise Stand Up more than Everyday. Hell, they despise Mark Baston more than Glen Ballard. Now, I don't hate Stand Up or Dreamgirl, but they are definitely not the best work DMB has done.

Also, I love DMB, and still love them. I don't think their live shows have suffered through the years, just their studio work. But it seems Big Whiskey is the turn around point and they seem to have that magic back.

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

jsemon2
Yak Addict

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2009 :  11:58:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit jsemon2's Homepage  Send jsemon2 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ranting Thespian

Man what are you smoking? Most of DMB's fanbase (I'll say 70%) despises Stand Up and songs like Dreamgirl. They despise Stand Up more than Everyday. Hell, they despise Mark Baston more than Glen Ballard. Now, I don't hate Stand Up or Dreamgirl, but they are definitely not the best work DMB has done.

Also, I love DMB, and still love them. I don't think their live shows have suffered through the years, just their studio work. But it seems Big Whiskey is the turn around point and they seem to have that magic back.

smoking? nah. i wish. people that weren't on the boards fucking loved stand up from what i could gather at the shows i went to in 05. people that aren't on the boards now probably don't know that the band is marketing this album as their best since btcs. i really don't. do i enjoy it, depends. i'd rather have a show from last year then this year.

but anyways the point was that the people at conflict with this board is a very very small percentage of dmb's fanbase.

OUT FOR LUNCH
Go to Top of Page

br1
Is Anybody Here?

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  12:36:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit br1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great posts on this topic, which will be a discussion amongst Dave and Tim listeners until the end of days..
One of the most important things I learned from listening to many different styles of music and just loving music for what it is, is that none of these topics have anything to do with music. One of the best exercises you can do to open yourself to new things in life, (especially music - because many bands carry a certain image, style or stereotype) is to do your best to view things at their purest, simplest levels. If you do that you, I find you appreciate the beautiful aspect that music is art - which molds and forms how we view and define ourselves in the world - That's really what art is about - we wrap ourselves in it and attach our own meanings of who we think we are around their many forms - to the point where we write self-indulgent, lengthy post like these ;)
Also, when you detach the things we add to music (and we do add these ideas to it - Music carries no popped collars, frat boys goo-balls, smelly hippies, rich white kids in SUV's and all of these stereotypes with it) you start to hear the music for what it really is - MUSIC - in it's purest form.. And that moves the world. Those are the moments when you're at a show getting the chills, or writing in your room, in your car with the stero up to 11 singing like an out of tune asshole to no one, at the Fur Peace Ranch swimming in it for days, 7 volcanoes deep in Athens, drooling and almost passing out on stage or just staring at your wall being lost in a groove, when you realize that's the only thing that matters. That's what it's all about and it's bigger than what you think it is.
Go to Top of Page

br1
Is Anybody Here?

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  12:42:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit br1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In the end.. I guess it's just all about the music.
By the way.. Is there anything better?
Hope you guys are all doing well. Nice chatting.
-Billy
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  05:39:28 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by br1

In the end.. I guess it's just all about the music.
By the way.. Is there anything better?
Hope you guys are all doing well. Nice chatting.
-Billy

"it's very difficult to express what you feel in your heart. In a song though, since you have the addition of music and the value of sound, that it touches places that other things don't touch. So it can stir you from a much deeper, sublte level."

-George Harrison, 2001.

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000